Author Topic: The "Yin" To Our "Wang" ...err, "Yang."  (Read 5570 times)

Offline itlnstln

The "Yin" To Our "Wang" ...err, "Yang."
« on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 09:19:20 »

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 09:23:03 »
Now all I have to do is make a chiclet HHKB clone and I can rule the world!
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 11:40:48 »
If only they had made a buckling-spring version of the original IBM PCjr keyboard! Keyboard overlays might have become fashionable!

But, alas, that was not to be... naturally, the PCjr had to be made as affordably as possible, and that meant a membrane keyboard.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:02:38 »
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please no!!! Articles on advising chiclets!!!!!!!!???????  Seriously, this must stop now!

Next from Engadget:  "I want to be a total douche, can you give me some pointers?"
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:10:44 »
I contributed:

didjamatic Posted Apr 16th 2010 5:10PMNEUTRAL
Here is your answer: Rub the "L" off your forehead and get a proper mechanical keyboard instead of a Chiclet POS. Get an IBM Model M, Filco, Realforce or even a Das but for heavens sake, act like you've got a pair.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:11:49 »
Quote from: HaaTa;172701
Now all I have to do is make a chiclet HHKB clone and I can rule the world!

Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:23:59 by Rajagra »

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 18:48:13 »
Lol... I saw that article while browsing Engadget and only made it a few comments in before I hit the back button feeling that much more disappointed in the human race. I can see using these things in netbooks, but why oh why do people want to use such an inferior type of keyboard with a desktop? I can only hypothesize that they're all two finger typists who need to look at the keyboard to actually get something on the screen, in which case it doesn't matter what they type on, and it instead becomes an aesthetic choice.

Ah well, I guess it's only a matter of time before we start seeing requests on what the best capacitive glass keyboard slab is. As impractical as those designs are, they look stylistically right up Apple's alley. I'd be surprised if they didn't make one within the next 5 years. Combine that with the fact that virtually whatever Apple makes these days becomes irrationally popular, and we're set for the next keyboard fad.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2010, 19:46:53 by Zalusithix »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 19:43:59 »
Quote from: didjamatic;172792
I contributed:

didjamatic Posted Apr 16th 2010 5:10PMNEUTRAL
Here is your answer: Rub the "L" off your forehead and get a proper mechanical keyboard instead of a Chiclet POS. Get an IBM Model M, Filco, Realforce or even a Das but for heavens sake, act like you've got a pair.

Now that's agreeable.

Props for speaking out, even if your wisdom will fall on very, very dumb ears.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 21:21:09 »
I'd suggest that most users these days are too young to know about, or even have used old, robust hardware.  If you're born into mediocrity you accept it as the norm.  The metrosexual man has seemingly conquered the Western world.  This is why other countries hate us; not because we have "freedom" (yeah, right) but because we're pansies obsessed with shiny, slim-line crap.  I'm not a chauvinist at all, but this trend makes me cringe.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 21:38:44 »
Meh, I'd say people know about quality gear - or at least have heard about it, but they are too set on being trendy to care. Take Thinkpads for instance. They're looked down upon by a large demographic for being outdated style wise, despite being some of the most solid, utilitarian laptops on the market.

The audio market runs much the same way; people were(/are) going around with apple earbuds just to look cool, despite the fact that they're trash. Then there's the people who go get BOSE stuff or Monster Cable crap, even though there is tons of information out there on how said stuff is overpriced, hyped up mediocrity.

People are sheep. It's far more important to look good in front of their peers than it is for them to have better quality products. This is a fault that almost everybody has - it's just a matter of to what extent you're plagued by it.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 21:43:51 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;172886
People are sheep. It's far more important to look good in front of their peers than it is for them to have better quality products.

This is why I am so glad to be an antisocial git. :evil:

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 21:58:15 »
I wonder what an Apple-Tard would say if I walked up to them with a Sony mp3 player, my huge JVC headphones, a Lenovo Thinkpad under my arm, with a Cherry ML keyboard slung over my back, wearing a T-shirt with an obscure Linux reference on it, and my non-hip goatee thoroughly non-trendily-mussed.

We'd probably annihilate on the spot.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:06:59 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;172892
I wonder what an Apple-Tard would say if I walked up to them with a Sony mp3 player, my huge JVC headphones, a Lenovo Thinkpad under my arm, with a Cherry ML keyboard slung over my back, wearing a T-shirt with an obscure Linux reference on it, and my non-hip goatee thoroughly non-trendily-mussed.

We'd probably annihilate on the spot.

Hmmm.

Does a Creative MP3 with Sony headphones and a Dell laptop with a Model M in a box count if my goatee is trimmed and neat?
kishy.ca

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:11:34 »
If we're talking about the need to be trendy at all costs type... They wouldn't say anything to you. That'd run the risk of making them seem less cool if their friends spotted them when they were talking to you.

If we're talking about the apple can do no wrong and I worship Steve Job's wardrobe type, then they'd probably try and convert you by showing you how much better your life would be if you followed the path of Apple.

Honestly though, the majority of people don't fall on either extreme, and  they would probably regard you rather normally. Just the same, they themselves wouldn't be caught dead going around with the same getup.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:12:44 »
...because they're pricks.
kishy.ca

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:23:16 »
Oh, and the laptop would either have Debian on it, or else Windows with the volume on startup turned *way* up so everyone within fifty feet can hear the Windows startup music.

Hmmm.

Does a Creative MP3 with Sony headphones and a Dell laptop with a Model M in a box count if my goatee is trimmed and neat?

I dunno, Creative is sort of in the same class as Monster Cable, only slightly less trendy, but still way overpriced. I should know, I bought a Creative sound card for $100 that is inferior to some $70 Asus sound cards.

As long as the goatee is non-hip, it should be ok. ;) I'm not sure which is more Geeky; carrying a Model M in a box, or having a Cherry over the shoulder.

What about a Model over the shoulder? :D
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:40:39 »
You'd lose the keycaps :(

Creative, trendy? Where the hell do you live? North America, I think not.

Superior products by far, however.

The goatee I'm afraid might be hip in a sense, but the hair isn't quite so.
kishy.ca

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 22:43:48 »
Eh, I wouldn't rank Creative in the same league as Monster Cable. While I have plenty of gripes with Creative, they're not charging 10x (conservative estimate by far) what a similar quality product goes for like Monster. Lumping a company with Monster is like immediately throwing it at the absolute bottom of the integrity barrel. In fact, I'm pretty sure Monster went through the bottom of the barrel and is roasting somewhere near the earth's core currently.

As far as quality and Creative go (at least sound card wise), you're best looking at their E-MU professional line, and not the Soundblaster line. Ever since they killed off the Elite Pro, the Soundblaster line has been the very definition of mediocre. You know a product is high on the BS & hype-o-meter when it's endorsed by Fatal1ty.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 23:36:04 »
Fatal1ty, ugh.

Yeah, I have the XtremeGamer. Not terrible, but way overpriced. This is evidenced by the fact that people on OCN have trouble selling them used for more than $25.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 08:55:36 »
Fatality - that Wendell guy?  What a dork.  Even as a kid i'd never have seen him as a role model to aspire to.  Creative stopped being cool since the driver support debacle, I think.  Haven't seen anyone with one of their MP3 players for years.  Those that I see in stores are mostly in the bargain bin.  Most people seem to use their phones for playing MP3s, anyway.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 08:59:57 »
Here's what I call good quality sound equipment (Minus the 78).

This screen shot basically covers my opinion of Monster Cable. They're a bunch of lousy retards who rip people off so they can sue little mom-and-pop mini golf courses.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 09:27:47 »
When we got our new TV, my parents decided to get a Monster Cable SCART lead which cost some obscene amount of money. I can't remember how much exactly, but given that our current set up uses HDMI, it's one of the reasons I refuse to let them buy anything technical.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 09:29:52 by ch_123 »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 16:47:13 »
I was just at a local supermarket-sized drug store that has a computer department. One of their less expensive keyboards was a slim keyboard with keys resembling Adams Brands ChicletsŪ in shape... indeed designed in homage to the current Macintosh keyboards. So this is not some horrible fantasy. But it's hardly surprising. Whatever Apple does gets imitated... whether it's innovative, like the GUI, or silly like transparent casings available in different colors. (Still, the trendiness of the iMac did buy Apple some vitally needed time, and the Intel Mac seems to be working well; they are back on the radar screen, sort of.)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 17:06:29 »
Quote from: quadibloc;173065
But it's hardly surprising. Whatever Apple does gets imitated... whether it's innovative, like the GUI, or silly like transparent casings available in different colors. (Still, the trendiness of the iMac did buy Apple some vitally needed time, and the Intel Mac seems to be working well; they are back on the radar screen, sort of.)

It's not surprising for tiny manufacturers to resort to this trick. It's a pretty common marketing tactic when you're the tiny company without the resources to compete against the big ones. You figure that the big guys did the research into what people find appealing and you follow in their wake.

For several years, the upstart video rental company, Hollywood Video simply opened one of their video chain stores a few blocks away from a Blockbuster video here in the US. Wikipedia says that they were up in Canada as Movie Gallery, but I don't know if they continued their tactic of trailing Blockbuster everywhere. Hollywood Video was so consistent with their game of tagalong that if I was in a new town and I saw a Blockbuster or Hollywood, I'd look for the other one and you usually didn't have to look farther than a couple of blocks.

Blockbuster did the market research and decided the locale could support a movie rental place. Hollywood Video skipped the marketing research costs and found a spot nearby.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 17:09:11 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 20:49:42 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;173066
It's not surprising for tiny manufacturers to resort to this trick. It's a pretty common marketing tactic when you're the tiny company without the resources to compete against the big ones.

Yeah, tiny companies who are unable to do their own development just have no choice but copy all kinds of crap.
Typing on blues.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 21:23:36 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;173098
Yeah, tiny companies who are unable to do their own development just have no choice
...but big companies that almost established the computer keyboard industry, what's their excuse?

Come to think of it, though, the Apple style of keyboard is so popular that I can't really blame bigger companies for tagging along. One might as well criticize the keyboard companies for all copying IBM and going with cylinder keytops instead of spherical keytops.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 21:25:12 by quadibloc »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 22:26:14 »
Quote from: quadibloc;173100
...but big companies that almost established the computer keyboard industry, what's their excuse?

Come to think of it, though, the Apple style of keyboard is so popular that I can't really blame bigger companies for tagging along. One might as well criticize the keyboard companies for all copying IBM and going with cylinder keytops instead of spherical keytops.

You know, I was just going to make a similar point myself. I think a lot of us focus the direction of blame or credit to Apple too much. If they were copied universally, how come cheap PCs weren't shipping with one button mice? Nobody copied Apple keyboards before the chiclet keyboards and even then, those keyboards were out for two years before they started popping up everywhere. That's not a terribly strong correlation of cause and effect. It shows influence, but it's a bit much to say it's a knee jerk effect.

For a number of years every video game controller differed quite noticeably from others with the only core resemblance being that you had a stick and at least one button.  Now it seems like they're all shaped like Sony "handlebar" controllers with the exception of the Wii.

If you make something that works or that people seem to like, you're going to be copied because quite frankly I don't think anyone truly knows what really will sell or be practical in real world use. There are no conceptual failures.

For the most part, it's a big circular game of tag along.

Anyway, on a somewhat different note... remember when you had to be careful about which IBM PC clone you got because there were some brands out there that were almost always lemons? A handful of brands were trusted to be as good as the "real thing" or even better, but everything else carried a degree of risk.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 22:33:07 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 22:36:43 »
I just realized I failed earlier.

I read "model over the shoulder" as "Model M over the shoulder".
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 22:36:46 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;173098
Yeah, tiny companies who are unable to do their own development just have no choice but copy all kinds of crap.

Hmmm... Razer, Logitech, and Apple. I guess Cherry wanted to cover ALL the bases. Where's the Microsoft keyboard clone?
-

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 22:39:39 »
Quote from: kishy;173112
I just realized I failed earlier.

I read "model over the shoulder" as "Model M over the shoulder".

That's what was meant. ;p

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 07:30:57 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;173113
Hmmm... Razer, Logitech, and Apple. I guess Cherry wanted to cover ALL the bases. Where's the Microsoft keyboard clone?

If I knew what the Microsoft keyboard looks like, I could most likely show you the Cherry clone.

Seriously, I don't blame Cherry for making all kinds of crap for the mass market and getting their inspiration from wherever they find it. I blame them for not doing anything else anymore. I blame them for not doing anything better. The only thing that sets Cherry apart from all the Chinese crap manufactors nowadays is the price.
Typing on blues.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 13:11:17 »
I highly doubt that they do much more than rebranding these "clone" boards. It gets scary when the crap invades their lineup of "serious" products though. People already thought expensive specialty G83s were a ripoff.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 15:00:05 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;173252
I highly doubt that they do much more than rebranding these "clone" boards.

Hm, got to check where they're made when I'm at an electronics market next time.

It gets scary when the crap invades their lineup of "serious" products though.

Hey, it's mechanical! Datasheet says it has a mechanical cardreader. Whatever that may be.

People already thought expensive specialty G83s were a ripoff.

I've been wondering anyway why Cherry has such a good brand reputation in Germany. Can't come from MX boards - nobody knows these. Their only widespread boards are G83s and G81s, which feel both terrible. I doubt many people even know it's a German company, so brand patriotism is unlikely too. I'm lost here.
Typing on blues.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 17:59:33 »
Why do people in the US like Logitech keyboards?

Answer: they aren't Microsoft.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 18:20:56 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;173313
Why do people in the US like Logitech keyboards?

I'd think it has something to do with them being widely available and perhaps the not-Microsoft thing has something to do with it too. This is just me, but I always felt uneasy about buying peripherals from a company that is mostly known for an OS... not that there's anything wrong with that, but I just didn't have a lot to compare a Microsoft peripheral to until I owned one.

I actually have a Logitech keyboard and a Microsoft Keyboard and a Logitech mouse. A lot of people like Logitech mice and trackballs so there's some comfort factor in picking up one of their keyboards. My first Logitech keyboard was one I liked a lot so I got one of their mice, which I hated and ever since then I haven't been quite so fond of Logitech, especially after I also hated the next Logitech keyboard I bought.

My experience with Microsoft keyboards went the same way. I bought one that I really liked, but it was their "ergo" version and the split actually caused discomfort instead of the other way around so I returned it and gladly got another Microsoft keyboard. I was fond of that board for 1 month until the keys started jamming and the rubber started to stiffen prematurely. Now I plan to avoid Microsoft keyboards too.

The average person goes to the electronics store and sees 50 different keyboards and is totally overwhelmed. He or she has no idea what to look for and my guess is that the person simplifies the decision by picking what appears to be a known quantity.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 April 2010, 18:23:35 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 18:42:54 »
Most shops here will have keyboards from Microsoft, Logitech, and a handful of obscure makers. You'd need a really good reason not to go for Logitech or MS. Unless saving a few pounds is the absolute highest priority.

I'm unaware of any cheap + obscure brands that stand out from the crowd in terms of quality, so as mediocre as Logitech can be, they are often the best choice from the limited options. I've always found them to work properly and be reliable. And I think they are good at giving the market what it demands. It's just a shame the market demands so little.

Offline zXWF

• http://www.gnu.org
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 22 April 2010, 15:47:41 »
Quote from: Rajagra;173324
Most shops here will have keyboards from Microsoft, Logitech, and a handful of obscure makers. You'd need a really good reason not to go for Logitech or MS. Unless saving a few pounds is the absolute highest priority.

I'm unaware of any cheap + obscure brands that stand out from the crowd in terms of quality, so as mediocre as Logitech can be, they are often the best choice from the limited options. I've always found them to work properly and be reliable. And I think they are good at giving the market what it demands. It's just a shame the market demands so little.

My store actually only sells Microsoft and Logitech. It is the only kind of keyboards our supplier have in storage. A positive thing for the buyer would be for Logitech and Microsoft to send out demo keyboards so people could try typing on them. Some of the Logitech cases have a possibility to open up without breaching the seal but you can only see how it looks, not feel how it feels, Microsoft doesn't have this at all.
:: Lemote YeeLoong / FuLoong :: Loongson :: gNewSense ::
Free Software Foundation Europe
Free Software Foundation
GNU Operating System