Author Topic: Microsoft Arc vs Apple Wireless  (Read 3582 times)

Offline msiegel

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline wellington1869

Microsoft Arc vs Apple Wireless
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 22:47:20 »
i actually tried the arc at best buy, wasnt the worst thing i've ever typed on. Kind of neat form factor too.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Viett

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 23:18:08 »
I'm curious to see how many people will actually get the Arc keyboard. I see the Aluminums all over the place because they come as stock keyboards for just about all modern Macs. This probably won't be true for any PC desktops with the Arc.

Most people that buy keyboards get them for replacements, gaming, or laptops. And how many of these people will want the Arc?
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 00:10:57 »
Quote from: Viett;173639

Most people that buy keyboards get them for replacements, gaming, or laptops. And how many of these people will want the Arc?

seems like a niche board for sure. Its supposed to be paired with the arc mouse, which was a pretty niftily-compact design for a travel mouse.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 00:40:11 »
I tried the Arc mouse at an office supply store myself. It feels like a really nice mouse. I just can't say if it really saves that much space. From the looks of the pictures, it looks like it becomes almost half of its own footprint, but it actually doesn't seem that much smaller folded up.

Part of what makes it feel so nice is that the arc part that folds in has to be really solid so it won't break in half.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 03:48:44 »
I must confess that I was using an Apple Aluminium the other day, and they are nowhere near as bad as they are cracked up to be. In fact, I ran typeracer on it a few times and could hit 90WPM a few times on (I think the fastest I've ever gone on Typeracer is about 100WPM on either a Model M or my Filco). However, on average I was slower as I found it harder to build up a rhythm on it compared with full travel keyboards.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2010, 03:51:21 by ch_123 »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 05:11:24 »
Quote from: ch_123;173690
However, on average I was slower as I found it harder to build up a rhythm on it compared with full travel keyboards.

You only said that so Ripster could cue up his Ron Mingo collection. ;)
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline zXWF

• http://www.gnu.org
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 11:27:23 »
Funny to read, considering I have used both as wireless keyboards to my "HTPC" (What ever laptop I had connected to my 42" LCD at the moment). I used the Apple tenkeyless (with dvorak layout) when I used my MacBook but I sold that and are now using the Arc with the Acer Aspire + Ubuntu. The feel of the Arc is definitely better than the Apple, the size and shape of the Arc is also more noteworthy than that of the Apple. The Apple keyboard did have longer range than the Arc, though =/ (I think Apple is bluetooth and Arc is IR)
:: Lemote YeeLoong / FuLoong :: Loongson :: gNewSense ::
Free Software Foundation Europe
Free Software Foundation
GNU Operating System