Author Topic: Game nostalgia  (Read 15562 times)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Game nostalgia
« on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 14:39:32 »
Anyone ever get massive nostalgia when returning to games from long ago? I happened to start listening to the old Runescape music at work and it brought back many memories of the decade I played that game. Sometimes it makes me want to go play it again but it's so different now that I don't think I could even get into it anymore. Who knows if my old clan is still together (they were as of a year ago).  :p
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline shadowrealmwarez

Re: Game nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 14:42:21 »
Old school Runescape still exists friend :) , and you can find many private servers for different flavors of Runescape..although some are no longer maintained or functional.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 14:43:52 »
Yes I know. I still sort of keep up with it but there's no way I'd want to start over after having maxed out shortly before the Divinity skill was released. It's been almost 5 years since I've quit playing and I'm not sure I can justify all of the grinding when I have real responsibilities now.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Altis

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 15:02:40 »
Anyone ever get massive nostalgia when returning to games from long ago? I happened to start listening to the old Runescape music at work and it brought back many memories of the decade I played that game. Sometimes it makes me want to go play it again but it's so different now that I don't think I could even get into it anymore. Who knows if my old clan is still together (they were as of a year ago).  :p

Happens all the time.

The problem is the magic is gone. There isn't any going back to the experience you had playing it, so it doesn't really satisfy what you're looking to feel.

There are some classics, usually post mid-90s, that are still fun to play even today, though.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 15:22:40 »
Yeah I still play my favorite old games like Legend of Dragoon and Chrono Cross from time to time, but they don't give me the same joy that they used to. Not sure why that is. Perhaps because I know that there is other things I have to take care of and I can't really relax.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 15:26:42 »
Nostalgia is a huge market for millennials. Most of my paychecks go to trying to relive childhood nostalgia.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 16:39:44 »
Megaman.. !!

X3 was the hardest, and most complicated.. !!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 16:41:59 »
You apparently never played X6

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 17:40:46 »
Nostalgia is a huge market for millennials. Most of my paychecks go to trying to relive childhood nostalgia.

Considering the amount of remakes/reboots/rereleases I'd say you've got that right.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 21:54:58 »
I get this major with the original Half-Life.

Starting that game always makes me feel I have come home.  Maybe the way all the scientists greet me by name, locker with my name on it, assignments to carry out etc.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:00:13 »

Starting that game always makes me feel I have come home.  Maybe the way all the scientists greet me by name, locker with my name on it, assignments to carry out etc.
Definitely one of my top video game moments as well. That game was just so good.
2nd one was great too tbh.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:27:55 »

This.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Altis

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 09:33:16 »

Have you played Black Mesa?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 14:56:20 »

Considering the amount of remakes/reboots/rereleases I'd say you've got that right.

More likely it's an excuse to milk something already made, that worked (risk avoidance).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 21:48:17 »

Have you played Black Mesa?

Yes.

I was following that since early days, and it is a great conversion!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 19:06:38 »
So Shenmue 1 and 2 are getting remakes and control optimisations for PS4, XBON and PC  :-X
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 09:32:18 »
Someday I hope to see a remake or sequel or something for The Legend of Dragoon. It's still one of my top 3 as it had such a great world and story but Sony never did anything further with it. Was also a great looking game for something that came out almost 20 years ago.

Offline ScottPaladin

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 14:52:28 »
I occasionally go back and listen to the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack just for the nostalgia tingles it sends up and down my spine.

I'm actually afraid to go back and try playing them again because there's no way for them to live up to my memory.

Offline Gacct

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 23:18:39 »
Legend of dragoon was awesome. Unpopular opinion but I loved the button presses to execute combos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline the_fascist

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 02:34:25 »
This is why I got a flash cart for every system.  Instant nostalgia on the fly.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 06:16:45 »
I have a 3DS with flash cart, all of my PSPs are flashed with hacked firmware, my 360 before I sold it was RGH/JTAG... Yeah I do it too. Plus all of the emulators on PC and Android.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 09:05:05 »
I have a 3DS with flash cart, all of my PSPs are flashed with hacked firmware, my 360 before I sold it was RGH/JTAG... Yeah I do it too. Plus all of the emulators on PC and Android.

I finished my bucket list xbox original games recently..

Such a great system.. boot isos from harddrive.. mmmmhmmmm.. sweeet harddrive.

Offline decaf

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 10:01:51 »
Not too old, but aside from old source games, SimCity 3000 and Theme Hospital, with the ost from both burned into my brain

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 10:17:09 »
Never played There Hospital but I did spend a lot of time on Theme Park. Though I did play 3D Body Adventure as a kid, which took place in a hospital. I guess that game would technically be one of the first 3D open world sandbox games despite not having much to do (besides the games of course). Was actually a pretty scary game, having to destroy rabies in someone's brain is a very interesting concept.

Offline Altis

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 10:41:31 »
I occasionally go back and listen to the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack just for the nostalgia tingles it sends up and down my spine.

I'm actually afraid to go back and try playing them again because there's no way for them to live up to my memory.

I remember playing the game as a kid.

That's the way it goes, though... most just won't be enjoyable to play anymore so they won't give the fix we're looking for.  :-X

Offline MrMen

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 12:08:40 »
Every time I hear JamesBond theme, I'm thinking about my dear GoldenEye 007…

Offline Altis

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 23:30:02 »

Do you also think of 7 FPS?  :-X

Offline Coreda

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 23:42:49 »

Nostalgia for intense nausea, oh the good times

Offline MrMen

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 03:46:41 »
7 ?!?!
I think you mostly forget about polygonal faces (nothing more than dodecahedron obviously).

Offline AugustCanaille

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 23:19:49 »
I cry every time I hear Tappy's "The Best is Yet to Come" from the end of Metal Gear Solid. I think part of this lends to the fact that I am from Alaska, and there was, at that time, no video games set in Alaska. I get massive waves of nostalgia every time I hear the song or play the game.

And there is a word associated with this: nostomania.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 08:35:26 »

Nostalgia for intense nausea, oh the good times

I remember having a grand ol' time only getting 30fps on starcraft 1 .. !!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 09:08:29 »
I remember the first game I ever played online: Command & Conquer Red Alert 2. I was on dialup and joined a match with a bunch of Czech players.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 09:12:44 »
 ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

Offline Kavik

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 15:48:52 »

I remember playing the game as a kid.

That's the way it goes, though... most just won't be enjoyable to play anymore so they won't give the fix we're looking for.  :-X

If you can get it running, Mechwarrior 2 actually holds up. I won't say the graphics do because I thought they sucked even back then. The main issue is that there were a million versions, and I don't have my original disc (I have the case). The DOS version always locks up after the first mission when running through DOSBOX.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 17:12:41 »
Run the PlayStation version on ePSXe instead.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 21:28:55 »
I think one of the more interesting things to come out of this overtly nostalgic generation is people being nostalgic for past things they didn't even experience. The resurgence of popularity in TurboGrafx is proof of that, most people wanting one as an adult because they didn't own one as a child.

So then is that truly nostalgia? If anything it's almost on the opposite spectrum since you would be experiencing something old for the first time, so it's new to you. And yet you are doing so the recapture the emotion of that nostalgic moment so you reach an interesting dynamic of seeking new experiences for the purpose of reliving a new feeling.

We are really an odd species.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 08:08:59 »
I don't think it's the pursuit of nostalgia, but rather the want for a new experience. I have an X68000 which I can easily emulate on my PC, but it's cool being able to experience the X68000's OS and games in its original form and get a feel for what it was like on the original system.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 01:03:10 »
I find that re-playing games that I feel nostalgia about kinda ruins the game for me, for example, FF9 was my favorite game of all time since it came out. I recently bought the game again and start playing it... I feel like somehow it feels completely different and just doesn't feel like its as good. Still have a great sound track tho.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 02:18:48 »
I think that largely has to do with aging. A lot of games from 15-20 years ago have not aged well at all. I was recently playing through FF7 again and it just felt completely different. Still a good game though and impressive considering when it was released in 1997. That makes it 21 years old!

Offline AugustCanaille

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 12:27:57 »
I just played it on my phone. The iOS version was cool, but something was missing: still not sure what it was....

Perhaps the face I knew Aerith would perish? Dunno. Still one of the greatest video games ever made, hands down.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 13:17:43 »
I played FFVII for the first time about six years ago. It was okay. Didn't think it was that great. I had already played FFIX, FFX, and FFIII by that point.

It was funnier than I expected it to be, but felt it aged horribly.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:14:53 »
Honestly I don't even have FF7 in my top 3 when it comes to PSX RPGs. Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, and Legend of Legaia have it beat in my opinion. It just wasn't that good compared to the hundreds of other RPGs in the console.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:31:02 »
I find it's less about replaying a game to capture a memory, but instead discovering old titles that are new to you that recapture a feeling.

Honestly I take great pleasure in going back and playing something I was fond of as a child with a critical eye. It's generally much easier to break down older games due to the sheer nature of them being more simplistic through necessity and age of the industry. It's fun to discover an obscure game with a unique play mechanic and thinking of ways you could implement that into a modern title. There are SO many odd experimental old games, as the industry was still fledgling and people were allowed to take risks back then. Not so much the case these days sadly.

Offline goodman247

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 00:26:24 »
I find it's less about replaying a game to capture a memory, but instead discovering old titles that are new to you that recapture a feeling.

Honestly I take great pleasure in going back and playing something I was fond of as a child with a critical eye. It's generally much easier to break down older games due to the sheer nature of them being more simplistic through necessity and age of the industry. It's fun to discover an obscure game with a unique play mechanic and thinking of ways you could implement that into a modern title. There are SO many odd experimental old games, as the industry was still fledgling and people were allowed to take risks back then. Not so much the case these days sadly.
I never thought of it that way, very unique perspective :)

Offline goodman247

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 00:28:41 »
I think that largely has to do with aging. A lot of games from 15-20 years ago have not aged well at all. I was recently playing through FF7 again and it just felt completely different. Still a good game though and impressive considering when it was released in 1997. That makes it 21 years old!
You know what game aged the best? To me it's Super Mario World, I play through it so many times and still have fun playing it occasionally plus the graphics are still great :)
That game came out in 1990, that's 28 years old!!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 01:25:07 »
Yeah definitely don't get me wrong, some games are just as fun today as they were back then. On the other hand, 2D graphics on consoles like the NES have aged far better than 3D from when the industry was just beginning to move to mainstream 3D (Jaguar, 3DO, PSX, N64, Dreamcast).

I also really like the idea of "new to you" games. There's a lot of games I played demos for back then (I had a LOT of demo discs that we got from Toys R Us, Pizza Hut, PSX Magazine, etc) that I never got to play the full versions of that I have played recently or plan to in the future and really enjoy now.

Offline AugustCanaille

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:50:28 »
omg@demos. Jesus Age Christ I forgot about those. I loved the Playstation ones, I had so many, and some were even JUST as fun as the game. Now that I think about it, there was one, a Rampage-style brawler, where you could be radioactive monsters or aliens and fight each other and smash buildings.....2002-ish. I have no idea what its called, and I never got the game, but man, did I play that demo FOR HOURS AND HOURS.

Another good demo was Tony Hawk.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 04:17:40 »
Hahaha I used to play the demos all the time. Games that stand out to me specifically are Tomba, Legend of Legaia, and Medievil. I used to really enjoy the things like "Hey I'm not usually standing here but since it's a demo I came to town." in the demos.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 17:02:02 »

I think this is true of console games, but PC games seem to be the opposite (maybe because console and PC games converged into the same being or maybe because graphics made more action oriented games possible). It seems that a lot of PC games from the mid-80s to the mid-to-late-90s are very complicated, to the point that I'd rather just watch someone else play them on Youtube than bother trying to figure them out myself. I say PC to include any type of non-home console computer, like Amiga, etc. A specific example doesn't come to mind though.

I've also noticed that some games are harder as an adult, which is really weird. One example that comes to mind is "Snow Brothers". I used to play and beat this game with ease all the time with my mom as a little kid. I tried playing it as an adult and kept getting game overs half way through.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 20:55:45 »
Some games do seem harder as an adult and I have no idea why that is. Maybe because I was a lot more persistent as a kid and for have the motivation anymore.