Author Topic: [IC] Duo-S - 65% Duo Isolation Mount [GB Date: 30 May 2021]  (Read 25028 times)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
[IC] Duo-S - 65% Duo Isolation Mount [GB Date: 30 May 2021]
« on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 07:59:19 »

Latest Update (23 May 2021):

GB Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112988.0

Streamers:
- Minterly (https://www.twitch.tv/minterly): 21st May, 10:15am SGT (GMT+8) / 10:15pm EST (GMT-4) - VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1029799193
- Fatboychard (https://www.twitch.tv/fatboychard): 22nd May, 9pm SGT (GMT+8) / 9am EST (GMT-4) - VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1031334637

Duo-S by Duo Foundry

Credits to designers of the following keycap sets for the above adapted colour schemes: GMK Red Samurai, GMK Modo Light, GMK Merlin

IC Form Link: HERE

Hello mechanical keyboard enthusiasts! After almost a year of learning, research and development, I am proud to present to you the Duo-S, a passion project which I hope will spur innovation in this community.

Duo-S

Duo-S (S stands for small) was conceptualised around an optimised mounting solution for hotswap PCBs (more details below) and has a 65% layout. It is designed to be minimalistic and clean but yet provide a rich experience. Allow me to share with you some of the key features and design considerations of this board.

Features and Design Considerations

Duo Mount: The highlight of this board that gives it its name! This board uses a dual gasket/isolation mount arrangement for the plate as well as PCB. The key inspiration leading to such a solution came from the desire to eliminate the use of standoffs for hotswap PCBs. With gaskets supporting the PCB from below at strategic spots on its perimeter, standoffs will not be required. That being said, switch swapping will have to be done in an alternate fashion (i.e. recommended only to remove 50% of switches at a time when swapping). This has been tested on the prototype and works really well!

The Duo mount arrangement engages both the plate and hotswap PCB for dual support. This contributes to a grounded but comfortable bottom-out feel. In addition, softer plate materials can be used (if desired) at standard 1.5mm thickness without causing the typing feel to be too squishy because the PCB is also gasket-supported. Overall, this balanced arrangement makes for a pleasant typing experience.

Acoustic Frame: The plate will rest on gaskets mounted on a brass acoustic frame. The weight balance (i.e. center of gravity) of the board has been brought up to the middle layer (unlike traditional bottom weighted boards) to allow vibrations to be channeled directly into the dense brass material for maximum vibration diffusion. This allows for clean acoustics and a grounded typing experience despite the board’s average overall weight. The brass acoustic frame also provides a nice aesthetic skirting at the bottom of the top case.

Triple Material: The board is a combination of an aluminium top case, middle brass acoustic frame and a polycarbonate (PC) bottom case. This enables us to enjoy the benefits that all materials bring to the table. The aluminium top case is favoured for its durability and colourability, the dense brass frame for its ability to diffuse vibrations and the PC bottom case for its lower pitch sound signature (as a “sound box”) and its translucency for lighting effects. This idea is not new but I would have liked to see more customs offering such a combination :)

3M Rubber Gaskets: After testing both 3M rubber and Poron gaskets, I have found that the 3M rubber provides for a subjectively lower pitch sound. This could be due to the way a stiffer gasket absorbs vibrations. Also, a stiffer and grippier gasket is more ideal for hotswap arrangements due to the forces from switch swapping experienced while the plate is mounted in place.

Uniform Bezels: One of the key design principles for this board was to have a uniform 0.5U bezel throughout. This is evident not only on the top case, but also from the underneath.

Cove Lighting: Underglow cove lighting peeking out from the top and sides of the board is made possible with a PC bottom case. Refined and subtle.

Hotswap PCB: The hotswap PCB will be produced by trusted PCB maker DZ and will include key features such as ESD protection, underglow lighting and VIA compatibility. It will only come in one configuration, but you’ll be happy to note that the KBD67 MKII PCB (hotswap/soldered) is compatible with this board :)

Alignment Strips: This is not a board feature per se, but to solve the age-old alignment problem (for gasket mount boards that do not have internal alignment features), alignment strips have been designed to remove the guesswork required and to aid the installation of screws on the bottom case.

Other Details

-   7 degree typing angle
-   Brass/FR4 plate options
-   Custom 3M rubber gaskets
-   Top case: 6063 aluminium in anodized black/steel grey/marine navy/e-white (only top 3 voted colours will be selected)
-   Bottom case: Sandblasted PC
-   Estimated weight (fully built): ~1.2kg
-   Price: SGD499/~USD385, all platform fees included but excluding shipping/any local taxes
-   Additional plate/PCBs allowed for order
-   Quantity: 300 units
-   GB period: 30th May, Sunday, 11pm SGT (GMT+8) / 11am EST (GMT-4)
-   GB method: www.duofoundry.com, FCFS

FAQ (more to be added along the way)

1.   Where are you based and who are you working with?

I am based in Singapore and have taken up this project in collaboration with a good friend who is based in China. We have day jobs but this is a project that we take seriously and certainly hope to grow into something bigger :)

2.   Why should we trust you since this is your first time?

We are certainly new in the area of custom keyboard making and have learnt so much in the past year! The journey thus far has had its ups and downs and we decided not to launch an IC unless we had satisfactory prototypes on hand. At this stage, we have already gone through more than 3 rounds of prototyping and elimination of manufacturers that could not meet the quality requirements. As of now, we are very happy with the latest prototypes. We are also fortunate to be working with factories that have produced popular boards for the community. With this confidence, we are going ahead as planned and will strive to deliver a premium product. The quantity is intentionally kept low as we would like to manage the QC process more closely.

We also view this as a long-term relationship with community members and do wish to expand the Duo offering with your support (hint: Duo-M, Duo-L) ;)

3.   Will Duo-S be sent to a streamer for review?

We certainly have plans to send our prototype out for review. Stay tuned for more news on this.

4.   Any plans for a Discord channel?

We may consider setting one up closer to the GB date but otherwise, follow our instagram @duofoundry for the latest updates.

IC Disclaimer

Kindly note that the information contained in this IC is subject to change and will only be finalized during the GB.

Feedback

We would be really happy if you could let us know your thoughts/feedback/suggestions via reply on this thread/filling in the IC form :)

Interested in Duo-S?

1.   Fill in the IC form, we would really like to gather your valuable feedback :)
2.   Follow @duofoundry on Instagram to get the latest updates
3.   Subscribe to email updates on www.duofoundry.com. Create an account beforehand if you wish to participate in the GB (you will need an account to purchase)
4.   Revisit this thread to keep in touch with the general progress

Prototype Pictures

Steel grey prototype:

Navy and Black prototypes:

FR4 and Brass plate:

PCB made by DZ:

Sound Test:

Lubed and filmed Alpacas, brass plate, EPBT keycaps

Lubed and filmed Lilacs, FR4 plate, EPBT keycaps

BONUS Release

Duo Peg

Sick and tired of how the current switch pullers get all bendy don’t seem to work? Together with the GB, the Duo Peg will also be released for sale. These will be an in-stock purchase but there are only 60 pieces available for the first run. Rest assured, more will be produced in the future if there is keen interest.

After countless rounds of redesigning, prototyping and testing, I have concluded that FDM 3D printing will be the most suitable way to produce the Duo Peg. In addition to keeping the price down for the community, using plastic as opposed to metal will prevent damage to your plate.

Material: Carbon Fiber PETG. This material is more tricky to print compared to the standard PLA. However, it is one of the stiffest materials for 3D printing and offers the structural stability required for this tool. I have also tried SLA and MJF methods of 3D printing. Although they offer a better surface finish, based on testing, the thinner portions of the Duo Peg tend to break a lot more easily (although the material used has higher tensile strength on paper). I suspect this is due to the method of fusing the material for which FDM seems stronger for thinner implementations.

Design: Resembling the look of a clothes peg, the Duo Peg uses a 1st class lever design as opposed to a 3rd class lever on the standard switch puller. This reduces the amount of effort the user needs to have a firm grip on the switch. Also, there is a limit to which the Duo Peg can be compressed in order to prevent damaging the switch and the tool itself.

The Duo Peg will be sent to a streamer for review as well, stay tuned!

Price: S$25/~US$20, shipping not included
In-stock Purchase Date: 29th May, Saturday, 11pm SGT (GMT+8) / 11am EST (GMT-4)

Thank you for reading this long IC! Remember to fill in the IC form and hope to see you in the GB :D

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 May 2021, 22:06:05 by JCraftCables »

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
Re: [IC] Duo-S - 65% Duo Isolation Mount
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 08:11:30 »
Reserved for future updates

26 Apr 2021:
- GB website updated: www.duofoundry.com

5 May 2021:
- New sound test with FR4 plate uploaded
- Prototype has been shipped to the first streamer, stay tuned for more details :)

19 May 2021:

Streamers:
- Minterly (https://www.twitch.tv/minterly): 21st May, 10:15am SGT (GMT+8) / 10:15pm EST (GMT-4)
- Fatboychard (https://www.twitch.tv/fatboychard): 22nd May, 9pm SGT (GMT+8) / 9am EST (GMT-4)

23 May 2021:

Duo-S GB Date: 30 May 2021
Duo Peg in-stock purchase: 29 May 2021
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 May 2021, 22:07:10 by JCraftCables »

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 09:02:21 »
glwic
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 April 2021, 10:49:20 by sirieous »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 09:04:38 »
Looks nice and interesting! Any chance for a video with the fr4 plate?

Also, as much as I totally understand going with familiar faces for streamers, I’d love to see some newer faces as well in different regions (read; not na).

Offline NightRye_

• keebs n' fluff
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 10:08:08 »
ok this is cool

Sent from my SM-M115F using Tapatalk

Offline ee

• hi
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 10:19:06 »
you've heard of gasket mount but have you heard of gasket mount the sequel????

Offline P103

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 11:24:20 »
More gasket equals good yes?

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 12:17:55 »
This is what I like to call Super Gasket 2.

Offline Reckless

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 12:30:43 »
For a first IC it's pretty good for me. Nice explained all the details and you already have a proto. Well done guys.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 19:26:51 »
pc bottom kinda cute, might sound neat.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 April 2021, 22:02:47 »
Pretty interesting approach to an isolation mount, I like it! Not as big of a fan of the USB-C cutout or the brass weight, but I think this'll definitely bring something new to the table for a lot of people. GLWIC!

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 07:06:26 »

Also, as much as I totally understand going with familiar faces for streamers, I’d love to see some newer faces as well in different regions (read; not na).

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, will try to upload a sound test with the fr4 plate too.

At the moment the plan is to have one NA streamer and a local streamer :)

Offline Scoscobola

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 13:01:53 »
This looks very cool. Would be a neat experiment if you had each component made in brass, aluminum, and poly and then compared frequency responses between each configuration/combination.

My only concern is that by isolating the plate from the acoustic frame, you're diminishing the frame's ability to be acoustic. If the plate doesn't make direct contact with it, then vibrations from the plate aren't really seen by the acoustic frame, and I imagine the user ends up hearing the plate/switches more than the frame. It does look nice though, and I would definitely buy one if given the opportunity.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 08:20:00 »
This looks very cool. Would be a neat experiment if you had each component made in brass, aluminum, and poly and then compared frequency responses between each configuration/combination.

My only concern is that by isolating the plate from the acoustic frame, you're diminishing the frame's ability to be acoustic. If the plate doesn't make direct contact with it, then vibrations from the plate aren't really seen by the acoustic frame, and I imagine the user ends up hearing the plate/switches more than the frame. It does look nice though, and I would definitely buy one if given the opportunity.

Thank you for your compliments :) Yes, that would be a neat experiment, if only I had the instruments to do so!

You are right in a sense that the vibrations do not get directly transferred to the frame from the plate but via the rubber gaskets. The rubber gaskets are required to reduce the harshness and pinging that may occur if the plate had been in direct contact with the frame. You can think of the dense brass frame being next in line to absorb any vibrations. The goal was to have clean acoustics as much as possible. Sound is a very subjective thing but hopefully the sound test did demonstrate some of this.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 06:33:37 »
We are about 1 month away from the targeted GB date. GB website has been updated! Do create an account in advance to participate in the GB :)

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 07:48:20 »
Interesting mount system and love the sound! GLWIC and look forward to seeing these in the wild in the future :)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 10:02:27 »
Interesting mount system and love the sound! GLWIC and look forward to seeing these in the wild in the future :)

Thank you for your kind words :)

Offline atyxiao

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 15:58:09 »

Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, will try to upload a sound test with the fr4 plate too.

Could you also include sounds of just the Alphas in various row?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 19:18:53 »
I like the continued experimentation with mounting points. GL.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 22:50:11 »
Oh, interesting. I will look at it some more.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 00:58:40 »

Sure will include that in the next sound test uploaded. Happy to update that we will be having 2 streams showcasing the prototype late May, so that will be a good reference found sound tests. Stay tuned for more details :)

Thank you treeleaf :)

I like the continued experimentation with mounting points. GL.

Thank you!

Offline Broxigar

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 10:46:01 »
Looks great and I am interested.  I hope this gets to GB.

Does the kit include foam?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 11:36:39 »

I got my Key 65 in this configuration. Can confirm, sounds nice.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 12:19:26 »

Thanks :) The keyboard was designed to have as little unnecessary space as possible, so foam is not needed.

The PC bottom does indeed contribute to a different sound signature! Hopefully the sound test is able to portray that.

Offline Broxigar

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 12:54:08 »

Thanks :) The keyboard was designed to have as little unnecessary space as possible, so foam is not needed.

The PC bottom does indeed contribute to a different sound signature! Hopefully the sound test is able to portray that.

Thank you. I am looking forward to the GB. Price and design is great. I was going to do the same set up with Leaf 65 but missed out by a day.

It's not a deal breaker but my only comment is that I am hoping that the middle brass color can be changed to a white.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 13:17:07 »

I am known by name, and I got celebrity status now, huh! lol
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline rokon07

• Reddit: u/rokon-07 | Discord: rokon07#2203
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 15:09:29 »
Great design. Hope to pick one up during GB. On your website, you have fulfillment listed for Q2 2022. Is this correct or did you mean 2021. 1 Year seems to be a long time for a board made in China with only 300 units.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 15:13:09 by rokon07 »
Keycult 1/60 Rev.1 | KL90 | Keycult 2/65 Red| Keycult No2 Contemporary Red | Sat75 | Rama M60a

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 07:53:31 »

I am known by name, and I got celebrity status now, huh! lol

Hahaha yea, everyone be lookin for the treeleaf stamp of approval :)

Great design. Hope to pick one up during GB. On your website, you have fulfillment listed for Q2 2022. Is this correct or did you mean 2021. 1 Year seems to be a long time for a board made in China with only 300 units.

Thank you for the support :) We are still in discussions, so the estimated timeline is indicative. We hope to deliver by year end or Q1 2022 if possible!

Thank you. I am looking forward to the GB. Price and design is great. I was going to do the same set up with Leaf 65 but missed out by a day.

It's not a deal breaker but my only comment is that I am hoping that the middle brass color can be changed to a white.

Thanks for the feedback :) It probably won’t happen for this GB but is a good idea!

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 09:02:30 »

New sound test with FR4 plate uploaded as requested :)

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
Re: [IC] Duo-S - 65% Duo Isolation Mount [Prototype stream date updated!]
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 00:09:21 »
Stream dates have been updated!  :)

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 06:44:22 »
My body is ready.

Is the steel grey still on the table or are e-white, navy and black locked in?

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:28:40 »
My body is ready.

Is the steel grey still on the table or are e-white, navy and black locked in?

We are going to be ready soon too :) From our survey responses, e-white, navy and black are the more popular colours, so steel grey will unfortunately be left out.

Offline LiTurk

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:30:17 »
cool board

Offline brodiegrizz

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 22:34:57 »
There's a big issue I see with here. You mentioned that you are keeping the quantity of units low because it is your first time. But 300 units is a massive amount of boards to handle. I don't think you realize how much work and what a logistical nightmare that would be for your first time. Might be better to start with a smaller run closer to 50 units.

Buying multiple prototypes and eliminating manufactures doesn't mean you're ready to handle this big of a project.

Glwic, I really like the concept here and it looks good, just be careful with this.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:06:43 »
There's a big issue I see with here. You mentioned that you are keeping the quantity of units low because it is your first time. But 300 units is a massive amount of boards to handle. I don't think you realize how much work and what a logistical nightmare that would be for your first time. Might be better to start with a smaller run closer to 50 units.

Buying multiple prototypes and eliminating manufactures doesn't mean you're ready to handle this big of a project.

Glwic, I really like the concept here and it looks good, just be careful with this.

Thank you for the feedback. It certainly is not the smallest run, but are fortunate to have one of us based in China to manage dealings with the factory. This will hopefully allow the process to be smoother :)

cool board

Thank you :)

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:13:16 »
icymi, minterly's proto build is here
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:15:53 by clickpig »

Offline Timber Mech

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 22:54:49 »
Looks great and an interesting mount method. I missed the IC form and would have loved to see a blue option to go with the brass.

EDIT: I see the navy option now.

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 May 2021, 04:53:14 by Timber Mech »

Offline violeaf

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 03:23:54 »
Hello, I really like the concept, any chance of including an iso plate?

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
Re: [IC] Duo-S - 65% Duo Isolation Mount [GB Date: 30 May 2021]
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 22:09:33 »
Hello, I really like the concept, any chance of including an iso plate?

Unfortunately we will not be offering ISO plate for this round :(

Looks great and an interesting mount method. I missed the IC form and would have loved to see a blue option to go with the brass.

EDIT: I see the navy option now.

Yes, Navy will be available :)

Latest update, GB thread has been created!