Author Topic: Greetings from Japan  (Read 1951 times)

Offline nihonjam

Greetings from Japan
« on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 21:53:23 »
Hi everyone! Just getting into customization and it seemed like the next logical area of interest after doing custom water cooling and SFF pcs.

I first dipped my toes by modding a Keychron K2 with lubed Gateron silent browns and some different caps. After testing the waters, I decided to jump in  :-\

In the works:
  • Hot-swap 60% kit that I am just waiting for a few final items to arrive to assemble. It will use lubed and filmed Rosélios.
  • KBD75V2 that I am waiting for the housing to come back from the paint shop and caps. It will use lubed 65g Zilent V2s.
  • Bonus additional hobby - custom cables.
I have tried to get into the deeper end and and am experiencing the joys of ICs and the pains of missing out on GBs and not being picked for raffles.  :'(

Biggest learning so far is patience and timing. I'm looking forward to all the great discussions and checking out all the creative ways you all come up with for personalizing the typing experience!

宜しくお願いします。 :thumb:

Offline 2QT2BSTR8

Re: Greetings from Japan
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 22:35:08 »
Indeed, patience is key here. Welcome!

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 04:06:43 »
今日は。^_^

I definitely feel like there is a a natural progression from doing custom PC work and custom keyboard work, I’ve similarly got a past being interested in computer building and now found myself building keyboards.

There’s a lot of joy to be found in some of the beautiful things the community creates, but as you’ve noticed - it takes a lot of waiting. YOu can have spent a lot of money and then not see the results for months and months. Once you reach a state of peace with that and have at least one keyboard at home that you’re happy enough using, it becomes a little easier. I know I won’t see the GMK caps I ordered last month until next year, I know I won’t get the keyboard parts in GB until October, and I know I won’t get the switches still September. It can be a long road just to build one PC when you want exactly the parts that you want.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 06:13:24 »
Welcome down the rabbit hole! ;)

The custom keyboard scene is Tokyo is pretty cool. I'm almost a bit jealous over here. I would love to visit a keyboard party held there some time.

Offline nihonjam

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 08:21:34 »
今日は。^_^

I definitely feel like there is a a natural progression from doing custom PC work and custom keyboard work, I’ve similarly got a past being interested in computer building and now found myself building keyboards.

There’s a lot of joy to be found in some of the beautiful things the community creates, but as you’ve noticed - it takes a lot of waiting. YOu can have spent a lot of money and then not see the results for months and months. Once you reach a state of peace with that and have at least one keyboard at home that you’re happy enough using, it becomes a little easier. I know I won’t see the GMK caps I ordered last month until next year, I know I won’t get the keyboard parts in GB until October, and I know I won’t get the switches still September. It can be a long road just to build one PC when you want exactly the parts that you want.

Yes! I am already experiencing that wait time. Order now, if you are lucky to get drawn from the lottery, you might just get it a year later. Thanks for the welcome!

Indeed, patience is key here. Welcome!

Thank you! It will all be worth it!

Welcome down the rabbit hole! ;)

The custom keyboard scene is Tokyo is pretty cool. I'm almost a bit jealous over here. I would love to visit a keyboard party held there some time.

Thanks! I see you are in Koriko  :D I am looking forward to my first meet up. The local shop was featured on a pretty popular show a few weeks back that covers 'odd' hobbies. If you ever make it over here, let me know.

Offline duxitosi

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 03:32:43 »
Hello and welcome ;)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 05:29:36 »
Thanks! I see you are in Koriko  :D
Well, about 70% of Koriko in Kiki's Delivery Service is Stockholm Sweden, where I live. Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata had been here in the 1970s to try get the rights to do an animated adaptation of Pippi Longstocking (but the author refused). It had been Miyazaki's first trip abroad and he had taken a lot of photos of the old town. Koriko is also based on the small town of Visby (where live-action Pippi Longstocking had been filmed), Naples and Lisbon. No place is exactly depicted in layout, but a lot of small details are, including text on street signs (!) which are the biggest tells.

Offline nihonjam

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 09:04:28 »
Hello and welcome ;)

Hello and thank you!  ;)

Thanks! I see you are in Koriko  :D
Well, about 70% of Koriko in Kiki's Delivery Service is Stockholm Sweden, where I live. Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata had been here in the 1970s to try get the rights to do an animated adaptation of Pippi Longstocking (but the author refused). It had been Miyazaki's first trip abroad and he had taken a lot of photos of the old town. Koriko is also based on the small town of Visby (where live-action Pippi Longstocking had been filmed), Naples and Lisbon. No place is exactly depicted in layout, but a lot of small details are, including text on street signs (!) which are the biggest tells.

I have been to Stockholm a few times and enjoyed it. I actually lived in Oslo for a few years prior to living in Japan. tusen takk ~ tack för det

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 11:17:44 »
I have been to Stockholm a few times and enjoyed it. I actually lived in Oslo for a few years prior to living in Japan. tusen takk ~ tack för det

Ja, stockholm är en härlig stad ^-^
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"