Author Topic: ALPS Granite Keyset - Interest Check  (Read 15167 times)

Offline deweysdecimal

ALPS Granite Keyset - Interest Check
« on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 17:48:59 »
Hi everyone,

matt3o is taking suggestions for the next round of Granite keycaps and said if we can get around 100 people interested in an ALPS set, he'd look into making it happen. From the reddit thread I posted, there are already 34 people interested and committed to purchasing 47 sets. We need more people to make this happen, so please fill out this survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1B9rMBAy00XK2GLgjDbl1U92HwtTMkeiqfLCFpnKEoFw/viewform?usp=send_form

Please post this survey to any other places where ALPS users may be lurking. I'd love to make this a reality.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: ALPS Granite Keyset - Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:54:31 »
Are these going to be in DSA PBT? I'm not seeing any confirmation in this thread. If they're going to be in DSA, I'm sad. But like zombimuncha said, it's cool to see that there's already so many people committed to more Alps caps.

Edit: Also remember that someone saying yes in an interest check doesn't translate to a sale in a GB.

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:12:59 »
I've heard rumors that DSA for Alps are extremely tight.

Like "oh my gosh, am I going to pull this switch out?" tight.

Anyone care to debunk this?

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:14:52 »
I'd love to see this happen. I'm always down for more alps.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline deweysdecimal

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 19:19:40 »
Are these going to be in DSA PBT? I'm not seeing any confirmation in this thread. If they're going to be in DSA, I'm sad. But like zombimuncha said, it's cool to see that there's already so many people committed to more Alps caps.

Edit: Also remember that someone saying yes in an interest check doesn't translate to a sale in a GB.

In the main thread it was confirmed that it will be DSA. SA seems to be the new favorite, but I'm in for any custom caps really. And yeah, interest doesn't necessarily mean they'll buy, but it's at least a step closer.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 21:18:57 »

I can't debunk it, but can concur. I have lost four switches to the phenomenon and/or my own ham-handedness when pulling DSA keycaps from Matias switches.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 22:50:28 »
I wonder if it wouldn't be such a big issue on vintage alps.  I've noticed that my caps are significantly tighter on my matias switches than they are on my white alps.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 10:39:46 »
I wonder if it wouldn't be such a big issue on vintage alps.  I've noticed that my caps are significantly tighter on my matias switches than they are on my white alps.
This, I feel the same way towards my vintage

But if it's dsa....  :( #sad
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 10:50:15 »
You forgot to put a section for a DT username.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 10:52:34 »
Although the Granite set looks great and I generally like typing on PBT, if the proposed set is going to be DSA profile I would most likely not buy it. Unfortunately, I have found it difficult to type on the Granite set -- I think this is due to a combination of the spherical tops and the flat DSA profile. I prefer the appearance and ergonomics of a sculpted profile. However, this is just my own preference, In principle, I am glad to see attention being paid to creating new keycap sets for Alps-mount switches.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 12:20:00 »
DSA is good for funky compressed layouts like 40, 45, or 65% or if you roll the colmak or dvorak train.

I'd be tempted to pick up a set to put together an alps 40 or 45.

Offline deweysdecimal

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 13:47:22 »
You forgot to put a section for a DT username.

Thanks, added that in.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 20:48:16 »
Glad to see the continually growing interest in Alps, although I think we're now past the point where I would buy something I don't like just to support Alps.

PBT DSA has always struck me as the noob combo. DSA does look cool and novel when you're new to mechanical keyboards, and they are cheaper than other profiles. And PBT has the nonstop hype train behind it because "it doesn't shine" or whatever. So this seems like the perfect combination for anyone who's never typed on them.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Pdub

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:57:58 »
All these alps sets really want to make me get a keyboard for them. Too bad I would buy it for work and my office mates would HATE me more than they already do if I get the one I want. I have MX Blacks at work and they already think it is annoying. I brought in MX Blues and they had a hissy fit.

TLDR - I think I have to pass for now.  :(

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:13:51 »
I'm not a fan of the DSA profile but it would give me an excuse to have an Alps planck.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:15:50 »
I'm not a fan of the DSA profile but it would give me an excuse to have an Alps planck.

I'm getting AW blanks for a future Planck project.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:23:16 »
DSA does have the benefit of being the rare profile that's row-agnostic.  That's useful if you have to deal with a lot of special-case caps (2.26x right shifts, 1x backspaces, and 1x |\ keys, for example)-- you don't have to handle quite as many variations to satisfy everyone.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 15:43:44 »
DSA does have the benefit of being the rare profile that's row-agnostic.  That's useful if you have to deal with a lot of special-case caps (2.26x right shifts, 1x backspaces, and 1x |\ keys, for example)-- you don't have to handle quite as many variations to satisfy everyone.
That's why Granite always does so well. There aren't many boards/layouts it can't handle. But for many folks, a flat profile is a huge compromise. Why spend the money and invest in the learning curve for something like the ErgoDox if you're going to settle for finger-unfriendly DSA caps? It always seemed antithetical to me.

My boards:
More

Offline Kola93

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 21:29:07 »
Please have enough compatibility for both AEK2, ANSI WKL, and ANSI Winkey. ^-^

Offline braidn

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:19:55 »
Flat boards I feel are more tuned to DSA. So a non tented ErgoDox or Planck work swimmingly. Granite alps would definitely push me towards a Alps Planck or Alps Input club ErgoDox 2.0

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 02:02:46 »
I filled out the survey from the Reddit thread.  Found the comment on the 'noob set' enlightening.  Haven't used DSA so can't comment on that.  However, coming into this hobby I got the definite impression that PBT was the superior option. Just starting to use my Modern Selectric set and I really like the way the material feels - better than the double shot vortex PBT set I first got.

Offline braidn

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:10:04 »
My fingers love DSA PBT but his profile SA AbS isn't terrible, it just shines nicely after a while on most none blank keys

Offline pkircher

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:14:49 »
is there an aproximation on price ?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:35:23 »

I can't debunk it, but can concur. I have lost four switches to the phenomenon and/or my own ham-handedness when pulling DSA keycaps from Matias switches.

DSA was designed to be a tight-fitting cap for industrial applications. It's not well-suited to key pullers like us. It's tighter on MX mounts, too, but Alps are already tight to begin with so it's a rough combo.

To make matters worse, the Infinity was many folks' introduction to Alps switches, and it shipped with DSA caps and a plate that was too thick to properly retain Alps switches, which means when you pull up hard the switch partially pops out and the only thing holding it in is the solder.

When I first built my Infinity, I put on the blank black DSA PBT keycaps I ordered with it. I hated it after about 60 seconds. While removing them I actually broke two Matias switches. I then set the Infinity aside while I waited for other Alps keycap options. I gave away those PBT blanks, and good riddance.

My boards:
More

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 18:46:38 »
I want this so bad.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 19:44:27 »
interesting..
make really happened..

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:56:21 »
DSA was designed to be a tight-fitting cap for industrial applications. It's not well-suited to key pullers like us. It's tighter on MX mounts, too, but Alps are already tight to begin with so it's a rough combo.
I am still traumatized by the memory of Matias switches that held on to what used to be the stem of my DSA ALPS blanks when pulling them off. Never again.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:15:27 »
Just make sure to wear down each cap beforehand to make sure it will be a little loose on your switches. Use some jank alps switch you don't care about, not your precious blue alps.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:21:18 »
Just make sure to wear down each cap beforehand to make sure it will be a little loose on your switches. Use some jank alps switch you don't care about, not your precious blue alps.
I care about all my Alps equally.

...except for the red headed step-Alps.

My boards:
More

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:36:16 »

So you're talkin bout the Black Alps?!? Why's it always come down to looking down on the Black Alps? It's always about the Blues and the Greens!

#BlackAlpsLivesMatter

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:48:08 »

So you're talkin bout the Black Alps?!? Why's it always come down to looking down on the Black Alps? It's always about the Blues and the Greens!

#BlackAlpsLivesMatter
This has been the Black Switch Liberation Hour, with your hosts the Rev. Alps Sharpton and Malcolm MX.

My boards:
More

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 13:42:19 »
I filled out the form, but I realized that I'd buy a second set if ergodox layouts were available. (a friend is building an ergodox, and I thought it would be a nice present for him)

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 23:40:33 »
I filled out the form, but I realized that I'd buy a second set if ergodox layouts were available. (a friend is building an ergodox, and I thought it would be a nice present for him)

Your generosity towards your friend brings a tear to my eye :,). My friends would probably question my sanity if they knew the amount of money I spend on keycaps haha

Offline Weltschmerz

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 02:46:50 »
I feel like Granite is definitely the most boring set ever. But if this is the first step for ALPS boards to get some more custom keycaps... Probably a good thing  :thumb:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 03:06:03 »
PBT DCS please, oh please. i am so into this but not if it's DSA :(
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 08:20:47 »
I feel like Granite is definitely the most boring set ever. But if this is the first step for ALPS boards to get some more custom keycaps... Probably a good thing  :thumb:

If it was that boring how do you explain its massive success?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 23:43:44 »

The unstoppable hype train behind PBT, the massive layout compatibility due to the flat profile, and the neutral colorway. None of these reasons contradict the idea that it's pretty boring to look at.

My boards:
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 00:27:50 »

The unstoppable hype train behind PBT, the massive layout compatibility due to the flat profile, and the neutral colorway. None of these reasons contradict the idea that it's pretty boring to look at.

til personal preference and durability = hype train
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:00:44 »
still hoping this will happen
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:29:47 »
I had a couple of Granites, I was able to type on them and they were sort of cute to look at; however, their warped edges were so ugly, they made the gaps between rows uneven and the entire board looked just wrong. Shame on SP for its lack of process control during dyesubing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:38:29 »
DSA is a nope. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 15:50:04 »

til personal preference and durability = hype train
Personal preference is just that. Durability is a factor, as are color and profile options, price, weight, and feel. Out of that list, PBT and ABS each have pros and cons. The hype train makes PBT seem objectively better rather than recognizing it as an issue of personal preference.

My boards:
More

Offline pkircher

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:27:40 »
once more, do we have an ~ price ?

my first attempt on getting THIS info was overruled by everyone stateing an opion how much they hate a profile
sheep thats what i call it, but haters gona hate

still it be more helpfull if anyone would keep it somewhat constructive

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:30:46 »

my first attempt on getting THIS info was overruled by everyone stateing an opion how much they hate a profile

This is an interest check. You're allowed to state your opinion, in fact that's kind of the point.

My boards:
More

Offline pkircher

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 22:41:19 »
if you look closely .. its actualy matt3o who wants to run it .. granite is/was dsa if im not totaly mistaken and was highly sucessfull even with or probably even because of the flat profile ( THERE ARE ADVANTAGES TO IT ) .. and given the manufacturing constrains of SP and alps the choise is not as open as with "MX" . (unless you guys wana pay an arm and a leg for tooling)

the main question is open > an aproximate cost would be nice to know .. id take 20-30 sets if the price is right + if it stays dsa

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 November 2015, 23:16:48 by pkircher »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 12 November 2015, 21:09:35 »
Just saw this.  I would be more interested if it wasn't DSA.  I already bought my one DSA and realized why that's the only one I would buy.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline n__dles

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 23:22:16 »
PBT DSA has always struck me as the noob combo. DSA does look cool and novel when you're new to mechanical keyboards, and they are cheaper than other profiles. And PBT has the nonstop hype train behind it because "it doesn't shine" or whatever. So this seems like the perfect combination for anyone who's never typed on them.
Totez, my first keycap purchase was DSA PBT. I know better now, but I'm still a nuub  :thumb:

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 13:47:40 »

Your desire for certainty is incompatible in an uncertain and unpredictable world.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline morffius

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:13:01 »
I agree with something other than DSA, but I would still get a DSA. An SA would be bloody ideal and I'd get 2.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 21:37:19 »
I agree with something other than DSA, but I would still get a DSA. An SA would be bloody ideal and I'd get 2.

SA is a trash profile

DCS or bust
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90