Author Topic: [UK] Focus FK-6200  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Rajagra

[UK] Focus FK-6200
« on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 14:00:46 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180399474745
£1 + £6.99 postage
9 available

Asked seller for details, he replied:
"they are clicky, the name is focus electronic co.limited the model number
is FK6200, hope this helps"

Wiki says click tactile module over membrane switch.

Anyone know if these are as good as the FK-2001 boards that some people rate so highly?  Never mind, I see the 2001 has simplified Alps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2009, 14:07:46 by Rajagra »

Offline skriefal

[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 August 2009, 14:51:01 »
As good as an FK-2001?  Nope.  The FK-6200 feels like a rubber dome keyboard with some sort of module added to give it a loud-ish, "clacky" sound.  Not the nice thunk of a Topre, but more of a loose, clanky, or "jangly" sound.

Offline weavol

[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 19:21:30 »
I've always LOVED clicky keyboards.  They are getting much harder to find.  I'm currently using a Focus FK 6200 and it's ok not great.  The Focus FK 2001 had a much better feel to them.  I still have one that works but they have the old AT keyboard plug.

What kind of clicky keyboards do you use?

Where can you find Focus Keyboards any more?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 19:50:38 »
Quote from: weavol;165519
I've always LOVED clicky keyboards.  They are getting much harder to find.  I'm currently using a Focus FK 6200 and it's ok not great.  The Focus FK 2001 had a much better feel to them.  I still have one that works but they have the old AT keyboard plug.

What kind of clicky keyboards do you use?

Where can you find Focus Keyboards any more?

It's very easy to adapt an AT keyboard to USB or PS/2.

If you like White Alps (the switches used in the FK-2001) you might want to consider an IBM which are, IMHO, similar except much better.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 20:03:11 »
I personally like both the IBm and the old white ALPS switches. They feel similar except the ALPS have a lighter touch.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 20:13:42 »
If anything I'd say BS has the lighter touch (in the sense that there is less resistance in pushing down the keys).

However what my fingers feel completely trashes every bit of research, Rip-O-Meter tests and so forth that can be found here. Gravity must be inverted in Canada.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 March 2010, 20:19:24 »
One thing I forgot to mention in my post was wear. IBM's wear much better than ALPS.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 04:07:16 »
Too much friction in Alps. They're good switches but not the best.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 09:28:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;165549
Too much friction in Alps. They're good switches but not the best.

Hmmmm...

Like typing on potato chips.

Switch condition is a big influence, I have two boards with varieties of simplified switches, one's really smooth, the other is crunchy.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 March 2010, 09:31:53 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 15:49:08 »
All I know is that I can't type very fluidly on either a AT102DW or my new FK-3002. With two such boards around I think it's pretty safe to say I'm not an ALPS guy. I always get along with Cherry MX switches, blues in particular, as well as BS. MLs are OK too, as are the annoyingly clacky but otherwise decent Futabas.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:41:55 »
I'd take the smoother sort of simplified white Alps (as found in my Laser keyboard) over Futabas any day.

I've been trying to get a NIB Futaba keyboard out of my sight for ages, nobody wants it.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 17:59:34 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;165528
One thing I forgot to mention in my post was wear. IBM's wear much better than ALPS.

Yeah, those ALPS never fit right through the shoulders.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 15:49:16 »
Quote from: kishy;165693
I'd take the smoother sort of simplified white Alps (as found in my Laser keyboard) over Futabas any day.

Whatever it was that they used there. I don't think it's impossible that there is something good out there in the Alps switch and clones jungle (apart from the "Montereys" in newer Laser/VTech boards - maybe they used an earlier version of these in yours?), but I haven't found it so far and wasn't too fond of complicated blacks and whites.
Quote from: kishy;165693
I've been trying to get a NIB Futaba keyboard out of my sight for ages, nobody wants it.

The switches aren't *that* bad for it to deserve that. Yes, they are annoyingly clacky, and tactility is a bit on the weak side for a medium force switch, but ultimately I think they're actually quite pleasant to type on (once I put some other keycaps onto my "inverse-stem Futaba" KB-5182, at least - the original ones had rather sharp edges). Less heavy than BS or MX blacks but lighter than MX blues, that's not a bad force range to be in.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
[UK] Focus FK-6200
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 17:31:47 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;172151
Whatever it was that they used there. I don't think it's impossible that there is something good out there in the Alps switch and clones jungle (apart from the "Montereys" in newer Laser/VTech boards - maybe they used an earlier version of these in yours?), but I haven't found it so far and wasn't too fond of complicated blacks and whites.

I think they're your typical run-of-the-mill simplified white ALPS, nothing unusual. I do however find their action rather smooth, with a crisp but not dramatic tactile point. My Leading Edge, believed to have simplifieds also but age would suggest genuine ALPS, is quite a bit harsher.

Unless there were "white Montereys" I've probably got typical simplifieds.

Quote from: keyb_gr;172151
The switches aren't *that* bad for it to deserve that. Yes, they are annoyingly clacky, and tactility is a bit on the weak side for a medium force switch, but ultimately I think they're actually quite pleasant to type on (once I put some other keycaps onto my "inverse-stem Futaba" KB-5182, at least - the original ones had rather sharp edges). Less heavy than BS or MX blacks but lighter than MX blues, that's not a bad force range to be in.

True, it's not really that bad...but I've found the more I bash a type of switch, the easier it is to get someone to take the board from me :D

(re: peerless...)

But yeah, it's not bad at all. I would probably enjoy it if I got used to it; I just don't want to hurt the NIB-ness of it because it'll cut whatever little value the keyboard seems to have.
kishy.ca