Author Topic: [IC] Galaxy Class Ergodox Minibuy  (Read 2917 times)

Offline skipped

[IC] Galaxy Class Ergodox Minibuy
« on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 19:37:14 »
After a lack of support in the initial Galaxy Class GB, and Round 2 on MD not offering it, I'd like to gauge interest in running a mini-buy with just the ergodox set. I asked Norbauer, who agreed with me that there might be some interest, but he told me I should be the one to run the buy.

Initial IC of the LCARS theme:      https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48839
Round 1 (SP) thread:                   https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58263
Round 2 (MD) thread:                  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=67995

Basic Details:
  • PBT
  • DSA
  • Dye-sub + Screenprint for extra crisp legends

Here is the original mockup of the ergodox, the core set (for legend reference), and the SP colors:

In the original IC, Moz suggested that the ergodox set have more legends. Due to the nature of the ergodox, these would not be standard legends because of the diversity of layouts, but instead Trek themed just like the core set.

Time for questions:
  • Is there interest in a Galaxy Class Ergodox Set?
  • Would having many more legends make it more appealing?
  • How do you like the proposed color layout?

I'll start working on a full mock up with legends if this has some interest, followed by a price check with Melissa assuming this goes well.

Offline motherbrain

Re: [IC] Galaxy Class Ergodox Minibuy
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 22:38:49 »
dunno.....might be difficult to do an ergodox-only set--not personally interested, but good luck and best wishes with the ic/gb!
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 23:08:19 by motherbrain »

KBT Vortex One MX Green // IBM Model M // Dell AT101W

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 23:03:28 »
I think these are really nice. I like the pbt, the color is great, the printing is great. But a couple of quibbles mitigate my interest. The trek legends/mods like pattern enhance, rescan, etc. don't appeal to me. More common mods (ctrl, shift, meta, super, hyper, fn, etc) would sell me. The other quibble is DSA on the Ergodox isn't my preference. I find I really want some varied shape to help with hard to reach keys and homing.

Is a different profile and/or other mod legends possible? If so count me in for two! :thumb:
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline skipped

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 13:57:44 »
I think you bring up some very interesting points!

The trek legends/mods like pattern enhance, rescan, etc. don't appeal to me. More common mods (ctrl, shift, meta, super, hyper, fn, etc) would sell me.

I understand your concern, but the main problem with offering the usual mods would be the non-uniform color scheme and the need for so many extra keys. While it is possible, it would raise overall costs for everyone, which I'm not sure is beneficial to achieving a reasonable MOQ. That said, if this is what people want this is definitely possible.

The other quibble is DSA on the Ergodox isn't my preference. I find I really want some varied shape to help with hard to reach keys and homing.

Is a different profile and/or other mod legends possible? If so count me in for two! :thumb:

I would be open to trying to try to create a concept for sculpted keys, but just like with the mod keys the diversity of layouts makes this very difficult to do with with normal legends. Ignoring this, I'm not sure how well a DCS set would be received, but a sculpted SA set might be interesting (I haven't seen a PBT SA set so I'm not sure SP can do this)