Author Topic: Trackball for OSX  (Read 9507 times)

Offline SeeThruHead

Trackball for OSX
« on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 10:53:09 »
I'm looking for a trackball for use on osx. Would like the best one available if possible. Budget < 300.

The L-Trac looks nice but it looks like it's not compatible with osx? Except in 3 button config. I need left, right, middle, scroll, and back/forward (just back would be ok)

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Trackball for OSX
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:39:59 »
I use an L-Trac on OSX, the only issue is the polling rate which can be fixed with software. I'll figure out the program I use and let you know.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline mecano

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 10:05:20 »
Coming from an expert mouse I'm now using a orbit scroll wheel with great pleasure, perfect OSX integration 2 buttons (+1 when hitting the two at same time, so that's 3 input commands) and a smooth scroll wheel, the ball is also nicely placed not at the top which I find much more ergonomical than others devices I tried. Try to test device before buying because hands size it a very important factor for trackballs.

Offline rEiGN

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 06:48:50 »
Just got my Kensington Slimblade and it's pretty nice.

You guys have any productivity hacks?

I myself have BetterTouchTool and it's pretty nice for resizing and moving windows by holding a modifier key while moving the trackball (or any pointer device).

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:00:16 »
Can't comment on CST units, but the Slimblade is the best trackball I've ever used.

Offline mecano

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 02:31:01 »

I myself have BetterTouchTool and it's pretty nice for resizing and moving windows by holding a modifier key while moving the trackball (or any pointer device).

My first thought was to tell you I can't think of any with mouses and trackballs except stop using them but then I red your last sentence; you better go with something like Spectacle for windows managing, choose some mnemonic shortcuts and you're good to go.
Oh yes one hint, but I guess you are already using it, in the TrackballlWorks Pref Panel check the "move on axis" (or something like that), very valuable for softs not coming with such option, also the "slow" options can be useful though you better enter decimals with the keyboard for precise work.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:14:35 »
Just got my Kensington Slimblade and it's pretty nice.

I use Better Snap Tool and Alfred to speed myself up a bit and work more efficiently.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 April 2015, 18:41:18 »
Ok. Got the slimblade. Really awkward and imprecise with my fingers vs my whole arm. But I'm really digging the actual product. Good build quality so far. Keymapping software is perfect. And it sits really nicely beside my 60%

Offline Ardvan

• Keep it simple, stupid
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 07:38:56 »
Is it for gaming? Do you want it plugged in?

For gaming I like the Kensington Slimblade. Four buttons. And the hardware emulation of the mouse scroll wheel is also nice if you get the feeling for it. It even makes a clicking sound :)

Otherwise I use a Logitech Wireless Trackball M570. It is smaller and still feels like a mouse without moving it. Because you use the thumb on the trackball it is somewhat limiting in the kind of movements you can do.
HHK HHK

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 23:13:20 »
I think i'm going to use my mouse for gaming, trackball is really growing on me for everything else though.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 April 2015, 11:23:11 »
I love my Logitech Trackman wired, and it seems that just like my IBM M, there seems to be a following behind these.  Must be for a good reason because like my M, you'll have to pry the Trackman from my dead hands.

I'm not sure how good it would be on a Mac, but for the basics of two buttons, scroll, and movement I'm sure it would be fine.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 18:18:24 »
These discussions prompted me to dig out my Logitech TrackMan Wheel and try it again for the first time in at least a decade.

It is really pretty nice, but I can see that it requires commitment - it is very different and the hand muscles will need to be re-trained against jerking around the table all the time.

Perhaps not now, but I plan to keep pulling it out from time to time, and one day I will probably switch over.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pnutster

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 April 2015, 22:09:09 »
I found the best trackballs are the ones that end up positioning your hand in a natural "handshake" position.

Tried many trackballs, best for my purposes is still the Logitech Trackman: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/cordless-trackman-fx

Hard to come by these days, but sometimes they do fly by on eBay for a fair price.
Kinesis Advantage
Logitech Cordless Trackman FX Optical Trackball
Apple TrackPad

Offline mecano

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 05:58:56 »
Yes indeed this one and the microsoft explorer trackball but prices are fairly high in the secondhand market for those.
Best compromise I found, again, was the Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring as you can use it in a similar handcheck position, plus it fits for lefties.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 09:45:32 »
I use my slim blade on my macbook at work
Though I prefer apple trackpad personally....
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline mecano

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 03:35:21 »
Found a Logitech Marble "Mouse" trackball at a pawn shop for 1€ yesterday.
After tearing it apart, a good deep cleaning and drying, I made a quick test against the Kensington Orbit Scroll.
I find the Logitech buttons more pleasant, I like the Kensington button sound better (less clicky and not as high pitched as the Logitech) though the Logitech buttons can feel less mushy.
The cursor movement feels more smooth with the Kensington but I'm using cursor acceleration with the Kensington and did not bother to install any driver for the Logitech.
I found myself missing a lot the scroll ring on the Logitech :/
Both can be hold in an "handcheck" position (not as ergonomic as old Logitech or Microsoft Trackball Explorer but the benefit is that lefties can use them).
The Logitech is much higher and more thin and I found it forced my hand in a more steep position which doesn't quiet work for me, something I already felt when I tried devices before getting the Kensington.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 04:06:02 by mecano »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 June 2015, 13:16:21 »
I found the best trackballs are the ones that end up positioning your hand in a natural "handshake" position.

Tried many trackballs, best for my purposes is still the Logitech Trackman: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/cordless-trackman-fx

Hard to come by these days, but sometimes they do fly by on eBay for a fair price.

I found an original Logitech Trackman brand new at a local thrift shop. Works perfect. Surprised that I only paid $5 for it.  :thumb:
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mecano

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 04:25:22 »
The FX? The white one? That's a damn good price!
What are your impressions about it?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 08:12:11 »
The whitish gray one. www.amazon.com/dp/B00004VUGJ. Had Windows 98 on the box. :P

It feels really good ergonomically, but unfortunately it is a bit of a hassle since I don't game with it.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mecano

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 03:36:52 »
Oh not the FX then, still a good deal. Never tried these trackball with the ball under the thumb, nothing you can't get accustomed to I guess.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 03:46:14 »
Oh not the FX then, still a good deal. Never tried these trackball with the ball under the thumb, nothing you can't get accustomed to I guess.
I've been using a Logitech M570 thumb trackball in OS X for some weeks and I love it. It's very comfortable.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 06:36:31 »
I've been using a Logitech M570 thumb trackball in OS X for some weeks and I love it. It's very comfortable.

Do you feel that the M570 would be better than a Kensington Orbit?

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 05:54:52 »
GET A TRACKBALL AND DITCH MAC OS X. MAC OS X IS A RIDICULOUS JOKE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM THAT HOGS RESOURCES AND PERFORMS POORLY. NOT TO MENTION IT RUNS ONLY ON WILDLY OVERPRICED "FOX-CONN" COMPUTERS MANUFACTURED BY SLAVES IN CHINESE SWEAT SHOPS. DON'T LET CRAPPLE "FOX-CONN" YOU OUT OF YOUR MONEY BUYING ONE OF THOSE PIECES OF GARBAGE. YOU'D BE BETTER OFF BUYING CAT **** AND USING IT AS A COMPUTER.

OF COURSE, YOU COULD ALWAYS JUST SWITCH TO WINDOWS AVOID ALL THAT. THAT'S WHAT I WOULD RECOMMEND. NOBODY USES MACS ANYMORE ANYWAY.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:13:20 by jwaz »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 01:24:06 »
GET A TRACKBALL AND DITCH MAC OS X. MAC OS X IS A RIDICULOUS JOKE OF AN OPERATING SYSTEM THAT HOGS RESOURCES AND PERFORMS POORLY. NOT TO MENTION IT RUNS ONLY ON WILDLY OVERPRICED "FOX-CONN" COMPUTERS MANUFACTURED BY SLAVES IN CHINESE SWEAT SHOPS. DON'T LET CRAPPLE "FOX-CONN" YOU OUT OF YOUR MONEY BUYING ONE OF THOSE PIECES OF GARBAGE. YOU'D BE BETTER OFF BUYING CAT **** AND USING IT AS A COMPUTER.

OF COURSE, YOU COULD ALWAYS JUST SWITCH TO WINDOWS AVOID ALL THAT. THAT'S WHAT I WOULD RECOMMEND. NOBODY USES MACS ANYMORE ANYWAY.

/thread
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 12:04:01 »
Get Off.... Mac OS X has been running on my Hackintosh far better than Windows ever will. If I ever had the do ditch Mac OS X, I ditch it in favour of Linux...

This thread is about trackballs running on OS X. I'm using a Logitech M570 now. My 1st ever trackball and I'm loving it. Its super comfortable. I do feel the speed loss because I'm used to the mouse, but I imagine that I would get used to it soon enough.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 12:11:58 »
It's too bad logitech ditched all the various trackballs and only have the 570 left. Great device, but the thumb is not the best finger for that use. It's stronger, but not more exact or more limber than the three middle fingers.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 12:52:59 »
It's too bad logitech ditched all the various trackballs and only have the 570 left. Great device, but the thumb is not the best finger for that use. It's stronger, but not more exact or more limber than the three middle fingers.

The Logitech is my first one. I will be honest that I was hoping to check out the Kensington Orbit, but unfortunately, I couldn't find it in any of the IT shops. :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 05:51:30 »
Get Off.... Mac OS X has been running on my Hackintosh far better than Windows ever will. If I ever had the do ditch Mac OS X, I ditch it in favour of Linux...

This thread is about trackballs running on OS X. I'm using a Logitech M570 now. My 1st ever trackball and I'm loving it. Its super comfortable. I do feel the speed loss because I'm used to the mouse, but I imagine that I would get used to it soon enough.

YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEBODY WHO SHOULD JUST DITCH COMPUTERS AS A WHOLE. NOBODY WHO THINGS THAT MACINTRASH OS X IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:12:00 by jwaz »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:33:03 »
These discussions prompted me to dig out my Logitech TrackMan Wheel and try it again for the first time in at least a decade.

It is really pretty nice, but I can see that it requires commitment - it is very different and the hand muscles will need to be re-trained against jerking around the table all the time.

Perhaps not now, but I plan to keep pulling it out from time to time, and one day I will probably switch over.

If you don't ever switch over, let me know because I love mine and am always on the lookout for spares.  :thumb:

Very neat!  I had no idea Logitech made one similar to the Microsoft Explorer.  I've never tried one of the these, but I think it's the best of both the thumb and finger worlds.
I found an original Logitech Trackman brand new at a local thrift shop. Works perfect. Surprised that I only paid $5 for it.  :thumb:
The whitish gray one. www.amazon.com/dp/B00004VUGJ. Had Windows 98 on the box. :P

It feels really good ergonomically, but unfortunately it is a bit of a hassle since I don't game with it.
OMG that's a steal!  If you ever want to get rid of it, I'm always looking for spares.  :thumb: