Author Topic: First Mechanical Keyboard Advice (WASD V2)  (Read 6870 times)

Offline sleazefrenzy

First Mechanical Keyboard Advice (WASD V2)
« on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 07:52:54 »
Hi, been looking to buy my first mechanical. Really leaning towards the WASD V2 due to the custom colour schemes and the really simple, blocky look to the thing. Would like something like this, but bigger:

Decided on Cherry Browns after buying a sampler kit. Would prefer a full sized 105 key (I'm from the UK). Not fussed about back-lighting at all, nor media controls. Detachable USB would be nice but not essential.

One thing I'm lead to understand about the WASD is the keycaps are pretty cheapy. How simple would it be to replace them with PBT cabs down the line?

Any opinions on the V2 would be much appreciated, just want to get a feel for how people find them compared to other mechanical boards.

Thanks!

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
Re: First Mechanical Keyboard Advice (WASD V2)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:00:02 »
Although i never owned one, I would say theyre quite okay, based on what i read about them.
The huge plus with WASD is that if you want to customize keycaps on your board, they offer the cheapest option. I wouldnt comment on the quality of the caps, because again, i never had a WASD. But if you arent ready to spend a lot of money on replacement caps, then WASD is a great choice.
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:08:50 »
Hmmm.... Full size ISO PBT sets are not all that common unless you get a DSA profile set. But DSA profile is not loved by all, I'm one that doesn't like it. The only non-DSA ISO PBT sets that come to mind are the Ducky OEM profile PBT sets. There are more doubleshot ABS sets with UK ISO support, though, like many of the Group Buy sets.

If you want the best keycap options (particularly if you want thick PBT) I would make the switch to ANSI layout. In fact I have. I use ANSI on all my current boards (except my ergonomic one which uses all 1x caps).

If you want a full size board that comes with great PBT caps, the Leopold FC900R is a very good one.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:10:10 »
WASD are good, but like you say, the caps aren't great, but they aren't the worst thing in the world to type on.

The caps would be easy to change down the line, finding an ISO PBT set is another story. You could get a Ducky set I suppose. Or wait for a group buy where you are bound to get  an ISO set.

WASD are decent boards as well. I'm typing on mine right now :)
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:23:44 »

If you want the best keycap options (particularly if you want thick PBT) I would make the switch to ANSI layout. In fact I have. I use ANSI on all my current boards (except my ergonomic one which uses all 1x caps).

That's definitely an option I'd consider, thanks.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:26:09 »
WASD boards are well made, and for being thin ABS, the caps are not terrible. I sold my MX brown WASD v2 but kept the caps and am using them on my Novatouch at home while I wait for some other caps that are either in production or transit.

I would definitely agree with others that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with an ANSI layout if you plan on changing the caps as it will open up many more options.

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:29:47 »
Where abouts are you in the UK?
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:35:14 »
About 20 miles north of London.

Offline drewba

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:55:47 »
The WASD v2 is a fine keyboard, I'm typing on one now for my work keyboard. If this is your first keyboard, ABS keycaps might be perfectly fine for you. I have no experience, but WASD keys are rumored to be low quality and shine quicker than other brands of keys.. It is quite easy to swap keys on the v2, whether it's another ABS set or PBT. V2s include a keycap puller.

IMHO if you aren't going to fully customize the keys (as in download inkscape, customize your font, legend position, maybe add some artwork/graphics, etc), you should buy the Barebones V2 (no keys, but $50USD cheaper) and purchase your own preferred keycaps. Although I can't speak to how easy it would be to obtain an ISO 105 keyset, it might be worth it to call The Keyboard Company.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:24:04 »
If I were to change the keys later on, would any keys made for Cherry MX switches fit the WASD board? What would I need to look out for?

Offline hking0036

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:42:28 »
If I were to change the keys later on, would any keys made for Cherry MX switches fit the WASD board? What would I need to look out for?
Anything would, it uses standard measures. Fair warning though keys from SP don't really love the costar stabilizer inserts, they just slip out.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:44:25 »
You can put Saran Wrap in the key to tighten it.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 12:48:50 »
That's what I did. I put some Leopold PBT keycaps and it's fine.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:09:31 »
It's quite possible to find ISO keycaps (like this one: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double-shot-filco-105-key-uk-keyset.asp), but it's easier to find ANSI sets.

Practically any MX compatible set will fit the WASD since it has a standard layout and as others have said, it's a good board.

I think a Filco would actually be cheaper for you (since you can get them in UK without having to order from the States) and they're even better than WASD. This is a great company for mechanical boards in UK: http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp

And they have boards and keycap sets in many layouts.

May I ask, what design / colours you really want on the keycaps? There may be a set we can recommend.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:24:33 »
<3 my V2s (CODEs are just a backlit V2 w/ Clears)

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:58:02 »
May I ask, what design / colours you really want on the keycaps? There may be a set we can recommend.

The picture up top is what I'm leaning towards, something simple and slightly retro looking.

I checked out the Filco's and they are pretty nice. I like that they sell a separate 10 key num pad, that would mean I could buy a ten-keyless and just plug the num pad in when I actually need it.

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:09:37 »
If you plan on staying around and being an active member of the site, I can send you down a board if you like to try out. Granted, it has blue switches but it's up to you.
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:11:11 »
If you plan on staying around and being an active member of the site, I can send you down a board if you like to try out. Granted, it has blue switches but it's up to you.

Wow thanks for the offer but I don't think it'll be too necessary, it's mainly come down to aesthetics now that I've decided what switches to get.

I see geek_feng sells lots of 104-key PBT key sets with international shipping in various colours.

A Filco MJ2 104-key would cost me £128, whilst a WASD V2 Barebones with international shipping and 20% import VAT would cost...£128.10.

If I were to be swapping out the keys for PBT's is there any major difference in the actual board between the Filco and the WASD?

I see the WASD has a detachable cable if I wanted to get a nice braided, a Mac output mode which would be useful as I am on a Mac, and no logo!

The Filco is steel mounted, as opposed to WASD's "plate mounted", if thats an advantage at all, and as far as I can tell they both only have 6 Key Rollover over USB, though I may be wrong there concerning the Filco.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 16:57:43 »

Wow thanks for the offer but I don't think it'll be too necessary, it's mainly come down to aesthetics now that I've decided what switches to get.

I see geek_feng sells lots of 104-key PBT key sets with international shipping in various colours.

A Filco MJ2 104-key would cost me £128, whilst a WASD V2 Barebones with international shipping and 20% import VAT would cost...£128.10.

If I were to be swapping out the keys for PBT's is there any major difference in the actual board between the Filco and the WASD?

I see the WASD has a detachable cable if I wanted to get a nice braided, a Mac output mode which would be useful as I am on a Mac, and no logo!

The Filco is steel mounted, as opposed to WASD's "plate mounted", if thats an advantage at all, and as far as I can tell they both only have 6 Key Rollover over USB, though I may be wrong there concerning the Filco.
Steel mount just means steel plate, I think, though Filco I hear is known for build quality. That said, I have a WASD and it's pretty sturdy so take that as you will. They both do 6kro yes, but I think they can both do N-key over PS/2.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 20:37:55 »
Honestly I think the Filco is better, WASD doesnt have rubber on the feet

Offline hking0036

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:02:51 »
It does. I think you have it backwards.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:31:01 »
I have two WASD V2's, I switched from ISO US to ANSI US, switching from ISO UK to ANSI US might be hard, but very logical in the long run, as almost all decent sets are US

If I were to do it all over again, I would combo these 2:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v2-87-key-barebones-mechanical-keyboard.html
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-dolch-set-base-set-110-total-keys

Which I'm doing right now

(I also suggest carefully deciding about the switch, I have a red board too, which I only started liking after the green's, but I love green's, although the red turned out to be perfect, while the green has click/ping obsessions, it seems stronger switches like clear/black/green's ping a lot, and it seems all of them pings, almost all the time, if you thump on them)

After inspecting some other keys too, the WASD keys are pretty decent

Be aware that all mechanical keyboards have their own set of issues, make sure to buy spare switches and spare stabiliser parts, and definitely some silicone lube
It's a good thing that WASD carries them all
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:04:16 »

It doesn't have this rubber on the feet:  http://www.keyboardco.com/product/filco-legs-one-pair.asp

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:20:47 »
I bought a Filco Majestouch 2 USA model with Cherry Browns from the Keyboard Co :) Marked the third time I'd changed my mind what board I wanted but had to force a decision.

Decided I'd rather be spending money on keyboardage over postage, and Filco seems easy to mod in the future with braided cables and choice of keycaps.

In a day or two I'll be part of the club!

Thanks to everyone here for excellent information and recommendations, it's been a major help.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:30:40 »
Filco/WASD/KUL etc. they are pretty same actually, the stabilizers are different, the enclosures have differences, the pcb part seems similar across most keyboards, the Filco one seems easy to tinker with

You can put almost all keycap sets on all of them

Hope you enjoy your keyboard, browns seems un-risky, which is good, you might enjoy red o-rings too
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline hking0036

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:33:55 »

It doesn't have this rubber on the feet:  http://www.keyboardco.com/product/filco-legs-one-pair.asp
You said the wasd doesn't have rubberized feet but then linked the filco saying it doesn't have rubberized feet.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:37:36 »
Hope you enjoy your keyboard, browns seems un-risky, which is good, you might enjoy red o-rings too

Oh yeah I forgot about O-Rings. I tried them out on my Cherry sampler and haven't quite made my mind up yet.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:38:48 »
It's quite possible to find ISO keycaps (like this one: http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double-shot-filco-105-key-uk-keyset.asp), but it's easier to find ANSI sets.

Practically any MX compatible set will fit the WASD since it has a standard layout and as others have said, it's a good board.

I think a Filco would actually be cheaper for you (since you can get them in UK without having to order from the States) and they're even better than WASD. This is a great company for mechanical boards in UK: http://www.keyboardco.com/index.asp

And they have boards and keycap sets in many layouts.

I second that. You are in the UK, so you have one of the best keyboard reseller very close to where you live: the Keyboard Company.

I would advise you to get a Filco and maybe even a TenKeyLess with a separate numpad if you need one. Not that the WASD is not good, but having the keyboard shop nearby is an advantage, and both Filco and the Keyboard Company have a very solid reputation. I think you can even see and try the keyboards in person if you drive there.

The doubleshots keycaps Oobly has linked to are very well made. They are a little taller than the keycaps that comes with the Filco, and heavier too. This give a very solid, kind of retro look. They are made by Filco and fit perfectly on their keyboards, full-size or TKL. I purchased several sets in AZERTY.  :thumb:

A Filco with these keycaps is a keyboard that can last years, probably decades.

I would recommend you to purchase O-rings: these are very durable rubber rings that you put under the keycaps, and they dampen the sound of bottoming out when you type. They are not expensive, and you may find that you prefer the keyboard to be more silent. It's good to have them just in case.

About the ISO layout: I don't think you need to convert to ANSI unless you really want a very large choice of keycaps. There are some nice keycaps sets in UK ISO available for Cherry MX keyboards that will fit perfectly on the WASD or on a Filco. Personally, I did convert to ANSI. I'm french and we normally use AZERTY on ISO, but I use AZERTY on ANSI. I prefer the larger left Shift and horizontal Enter key on ANSI keyboards, but that's just me. If you are fine with the ISO layout, you will find keyboards and keycaps sets for UK ISO.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:59:28 »
The doubleshots keycaps Oobly has linked to are very well made. They are a little taller than the keycaps that comes with the Filco, and heavier too. This give a very solid, kind of retro look. They are made by Filco and fit perfectly on their keyboards, full-size or TKL. I purchased several sets in AZERTY.  :thumb:

If given a choice between PBT or Doubleshots what would you pick? Is it basically a choice between nicer feeling and nicer looking print? I understand it's very difficult to get both on the same keys.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:02:46 »

If given a choice between PBT or Doubleshots what would you pick? Is it basically a choice between nicer feeling and nicer looking print? I understand it's very difficult to get both on the same keys.
Well, the feel is pretty subjective, it all depends on what you want. I think Doubleshot and Dyesub are pretty similar in terms of legend legibility though.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:17:54 »

I recently chose the looks with the SP Dolch set, but I guess it will feel nice too

I also have a 108-key http://www.geekkeys.com/104-keysets/ set on the way, geekkeys's 108-keys seem to be above the widely available PBT set quality (there are many KBC sets etc. They are PBT's, but whoever designed them was obviously not a designer)

The only caveat of the 108-key sets are the laser etching, I'm pretty sure the etching will be filled with finger grease in a week, but it should probably look good anyway

After rigorous thinking, I decided to get the blue/gray set, they actually look better on normal photos, as geekkeys sent another photo to me after my request, anyway, shortly after that, SP released the Dolch set, and I instantly jumped onto it

I'm dabbling a bit, but hope the insight helps you

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 10:11:08 »
Quite like the side printed PBT's on that site (http://www.geekkeys.com/white-side-printed-pbt-104-keyset/). Are KBC sets not particularly regarded then as far as PBT's are concerned?)

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 10:26:11 »
Quite like the side printed PBT's on that site (http://www.geekkeys.com/white-side-printed-pbt-104-keyset/). Are KBC sets not particularly regarded then as far as PBT's are concerned?)

They are very liked, but in my opinion, they are either very dull or have absurd fonts/issues

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 17:18:41 »

I don't find PBT to be superior in feel to ABS, so for me doubleshot was more important.

I think it is practically impossible to find doubleshots made of PBT anyway.

However, some people want PBT only, some want ABS only, and many do not care. I can't tell if it will be that important to you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 18:11:24 »

ABS is more dense than PBT, but the last is more resistance to wear, and a bit more brittle. It is not easy to explain the feeling, and besides, you only will know which one is for you after you tried them both. Also be aware that thinner and thicker caps have different feelings, as texture does as well. Finally the construction of the board, and materials affect the overall typing experience. Again, the heavier to more solid feeling, and rigidity due to structural plate changes the feeling.

Offline sleazefrenzy

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 12:17:36 »
It has arrived! I'm very happy with how it feels and Jesus does it weigh a ton. Thanks for guiding me well geekhack.

92544-0

Offline yomammary

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 12:33:43 »
It has arrived! I'm very happy with how it feels and Jesus does it weigh a ton. Thanks for guiding me well geekhack.

(Attachment Link)
Great!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800