Author Topic: Learn a new layout and keymap at the same time?  (Read 3972 times)

Offline luisbg

Learn a new layout and keymap at the same time?
« on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 06:27:26 »
I just built my first ErgoDox and I'm wondering if I should switch to Colemak from the get-go.

Should I learn to type in the vertically staggered physical layout of the ErgoDox at the same time I learn a new keymap? or should I set it to Qwerty, learn the physical difference in layout and then switch to a the different keymap?

What did you guys do? What do you think would be the less stress-free approach?
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline tufty

Re: Learn a new layout and keymap at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 07:39:55 »
Go all in.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:18:40 »
If you have to maintain your QWERTY skills on ordinary keyboards, it's definitely an option.

However, I'd be wary of picking Colemak. I find it neat on laptop keyboards, but rather fatiguing on ErgoDox, compared to high-alternation layouts like AdnW or something Dvorak-based, although it's a big improvement over QWERTY.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:26:20 »
My second problem is that I only have blank keycaps for my ErgoDox. Trying to find some DSA printed caps but very hard to find.

So will have to learn to type by having a drawing of the layout besides the keyboard.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:40:06 »
Why not set it as your wallpaper in software?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 14:43:06 »
I'm with Davkol on this. I'd say give AdNW BU-Teck variant a try as it's optimised for vertical stagger boards with thumb keys like the Truly Ergonomic and ErgoDox. Maybe print the layout out onto a small piece of paper and prop it up facing you by the display somewhere.

On the original question, definitely, go for it. It keeps your QWERTY skills intact while you learn by being a separate set of muscle memory that you're training instead of changing your existing QWERTY muscle memory. Takes a bit longer, but it's worth it.

For caps, there's the Deep Space GB on at the moment: http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/deep-space/

It's DSA and has an ErgoDox kit, although it still needs 15 orders to tip the kit. There have been other DSA GB's in the past, some of which have also have 'Dox kits. Check the Classifieds section or the relevant Group Buy threads.

If you don't mind that only the alphas are printed and the rest are blank, you can order the alpha kit from Deep Space and the rest direct from SP (ErgoDox modifier kit): http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-sets-1
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 08:12:41 »
I am having a hard time finding the mentioned AdnW BU-Teck layout. Does anybody have a link to this layout? Even better if it also has a link to the .hex format the Teensy uses.

I have seen the TECK keyboard, but that is as much as I can see. Really want to start this ErgoDox experience the right way  :D
I am a programmer so easy access to the Punctuation symbols (*/+[]{}()><.,!?|'") is important.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 December 2014, 08:14:59 by luisbg »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 08:18:01 »
One of the first links in DDG points to a demonstration of the original layout and the next relevant one is Oobly's modification.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 08:43:36 »
One of the first links in DDG points to a demonstration of the original layout and the next relevant one is Oobly's modification.

Very cool. Will follow Oobly's modification, and then decide what to do with the extra keys the Ergo has compared to his board.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 06:40:12 »
This is my layout so far: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42463.msg1555977#msg1555977

Any suggestions or feedback?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 12:53:16 »
My second problem is that I only have blank keycaps for my ErgoDox. Trying to find some DSA printed caps but very hard to find.

So will have to learn to type by having a drawing of the layout besides the keyboard.

It's better to learn with the layout beside the keyboard, so you are not staring at the keyboard at the same time.  If you put it next to the computer screen, then you can learn while staring at the screen, which is even more beneficial.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline luisbg

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 16:46:35 »

It's better to learn with the layout beside the keyboard, so you are not staring at the keyboard at the same time.  If you put it next to the computer screen, then you can learn while staring at the screen, which is even more beneficial.

I agree and at work I have a second screen I can use to display the layout most of the time.

The only problem with this is when typing passwords. Those are usually tricky to type without looking.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 00:14:55 »
The only problem with this is when typing passwords. Those are usually tricky to type without looking.

I've been touch typing Dvorak for years, so I don't really have any problems touch typing my passwords.

That said, for blank keycaps, I would suggest using a P-Touch label maker to add legends to the front of the keycaps.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline luisbg

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:55:46 »
That said, for blank keycaps, I would suggest using a P-Touch label maker to add legends to the front of the keycaps.

Not a bad idea. I was thinking of those stickers that everything peels off except the letter, can't find them since I don't know how they are called. They are used in museums a lot to write the descriptions on the wall.

Going to see if there is a P-Touch label maker I can borrow at work.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 10:03:40 »

Not a bad idea. I was thinking of those stickers that everything peels off except the letter, can't find them since I don't know how they are called. They are used in museums a lot to write the descriptions on the wall.

Going to see if there is a P-Touch label maker I can borrow at work.

You mean decals? You could find some decals for those chiclet keys, maybe you could have a custom set made for other keycaps.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:14:31 »
You mean decals? You could find some decals for those chiclet keys, maybe you could have a custom set made for other keycaps.

Decals would work though it would have to inconveniences:
 - would need to be custom to show the symbols in Layer 1
 - would affect the feel of the keys

Will consider it. Thanks!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 17:13:39 »
If I were to get a decal it would be this:

83745-0

Not really sure since quality seems to be a problem and feel would be weird. Have to think if it is worth it for the odd occasions I do look at the keyboard when I type, which is once every 5 minutes.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 18:09:14 »
Dunno, sounds like too much effort for little outcome. I generally try to map the symbol to a motion. For example, "Z is pinkie *to me*", and then just look down to make sure that the correct finger does the correct motion.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 21:10:26 »

Decals would work though it would have to inconveniences:
 - would need to be custom to show the symbols in Layer 1
 - would affect the feel of the keys

Will consider it. Thanks!

I know that using P-Touch labels will affect the feel of tops of the keycaps. I actually did this years ago when I started to learn Dvorak -- I labelled the Dvorak key in the corner, so I still had Qwerty to look at, as needed.

These days, I prefer to put the label on the front of the keycap, so I can still see the label, without feeling the label. Also, over the years, as you type with the labels on the top, they will eventually shift a bit, revealing a bit of the adhesive. Having the label on the front of the key will keep this from happening.

But I'm also weird in that I have my keycaps arranged in Qwerty but I touchtype Dvorak. Having the Qwerty legends is helpful for the few times I actually need to type Qwerty.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline luisbg

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 04:42:39 »
I know that using P-Touch labels will affect the feel of tops of the keycaps. I actually did this years ago when I started to learn Dvorak -- I labelled the Dvorak key in the corner, so I still had Qwerty to look at, as needed.

These days, I prefer to put the label on the front of the keycap, so I can still see the label, without feeling the label. Also, over the years, as you type with the labels on the top, they will eventually shift a bit, revealing a bit of the adhesive. Having the label on the front of the key will keep this from happening.

But I'm also weird in that I have my keycaps arranged in Qwerty but I touchtype Dvorak. Having the Qwerty legends is helpful for the few times I actually need to type Qwerty.

I used P-Touch labels and pasted them in the front. That way if I need to look for passwords I can, but I don't touch the stickers.