Author Topic: [GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set  (Read 196604 times)

Offline Auk

Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 13:27:42 »
Does this drop today ? June 30th?

I think MD drops usually start at 6 AM PT, but I'm not sure it's the case for every drop they do. Anyway I'm guessing Nautilus drop probably isn't starting today. Next week maybe?

Also, Zambumon was last weeks guest on Top Clack
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 June 2017, 13:41:41 by Auk »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #551 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 13:30:20 »
It'll be next week since SA Carbon just ended and they want some buffer time.  I think Massdrop keycap drops usually start on Wednesdays or Thursdays at 9AM EDT.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #552 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 13:58:33 »
It says on the page it starts 7/3
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline typischt

« Reply #553 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 08:09:31 »
It's live!
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-zambumon-gmk-nautilus-custom-keycap-set

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #554 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 08:17:47 »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: [GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 08:29:05 »
GLWGB! :thumb: :thumb:

MOD EDIT:  Changed title from "[IC] GMK Nautilus" to "[GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set" and moved to the Group Buys and Preorders sub-forum.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 17:22:22 »
Are the tiny short spacebars in the spacebar kit in actually spacebar profile or are they just blank shift keys?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 17:23:54 »
Are the tiny short spacebars in the spacebar kit in actually spacebar profile or are they just blank shift keys?
Those marked R4C are convex.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #558 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:28:27 »
It's live!

Awesome!

Brilliant, another fine GMK order to buy into  :thumb: .

Just placed my order through and now the waiting begins, yet again.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #559 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:29:37 »
It's live!

Awesome!

Brilliant, another fine GMK order to buy into  :thumb: .

Just placed my order through and now the waiting begins, yet again.
But the wait is worth it... Right? Right?!?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #560 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 22:35:39 »
Good lord it's already over 1000 orders!  I guess that's a total for all sets purchased, so not just base sets, but still....  damn fine work!

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
[GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set
« Reply #561 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 02:38:16 »
These numbers are impressive!

Is this the most successful as of now?

Offline Auk

« Reply #562 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 02:55:11 »
I guess that's a total for all sets purchased, so not just base sets

Correct, the live total is every kit. The price table graphic is updated every 24-72 hrs:

172380-0

Pretty sure /dev/tty, Carbon and Yuri got very large sales on the first day, but it's to be expected, early rush before the sales slow right down, then a spike toward then end.

Yuri's sales were split because there was an Asian proxy, anyone know if there are any proxies operating for this buy or is it all Massdrop for Nautilus?

Offline FSund

« Reply #563 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:38:23 »
Very interesting to see that the percentage of nordic/international kits sold is about the same for most of the recent Massdrop keycap sets.

Dasher & Dancer sold 1252+483 base kits and 103+18 ISO kits == 6.4 % (separate ISO and international kits)
/dev/tty sold 1836 base kits and 106 international kits == 5.8 % (basic ISO support in base kit)
Carbon sold 2355 alpha kits and 116+16 NORDEUK kits == 5.6 % (a single international+ISO kit)
Nautilus has sold 679 base sets and 39 Nordic sets == 5.8 % (basic ISO support in base kit)

Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #564 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 03:42:22 »
I guess that's a total for all sets purchased, so not just base sets

Correct, the live total is every kit. The price table graphic is updated every 24-72 hrs:

(Attachment Link)

Pretty sure /dev/tty, Carbon and Yuri got very large sales on the first day, but it's to be expected, early rush before the sales slow right down, then a spike toward then end.

Yuri's sales were split because there was an Asian proxy, anyone know if there are any proxies operating for this buy or is it all Massdrop for Nautilus?

It's up on Tao-Bao ya.

Offline Auk

« Reply #565 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:14:10 »
It's up on Tao-Bao ya.

So Nautilus may doing even better than it looks just based on the current sales.

percentage of nordic/international kits sold

Yuri is the one we're most interested in for similar price GMK sets running a few weeks apart.

The final tally for Yuri (which wasn't updated after the update ~6 hrs from the end) shows 935 base kits and only 40 international, although we do know it all tipped and there were extra sales allowed after the official drop end (to give extra time for the K-Type drop buyers who wanted both.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:43:09 by Auk »

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #566 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 04:19:27 »

The final tally for Yuri (which wasn't updated after the update ~6 hrs from the end) shows 935 base kits and only 40 international, although we do know it all tipped and there were extra sales allowed after the official drop end (to extra time fore the K-Type drop buyers who wanted both.)

Damn, I didn't know Yuri's international kit finished that low. Good to see they still pushed it through!
That obviously doesn't guarantee the same will happen here, but I think we're in a good spot with the decent order amount and lower overall cost of the kit :)

Offline FSund

« Reply #567 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 05:11:09 »
percentage of nordic/international kits sold

Yuri is the one we're most interested in for similar price GMK sets running a few weeks apart.

The final tally for Yuri (which wasn't updated after the update ~6 hrs from the end) shows 935 base kits and only 40 international, although we do know it all tipped and there were extra sales allowed after the official drop end (to give extra time for the K-Type drop buyers who wanted both.)

40 international kits and 935 base kits gives 4.3 % international kits, which I would say is almost within the margin of error of the observations from the other sets. But definitely lower than the others.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #568 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 05:18:22 »
Forty NorDe kits on the first day, no matter what the percentage is, is a good start to me.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #569 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 05:26:30 »
Forty NorDe kits on the first day, no matter what the percentage is, is a good start to me.

+1 !!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #570 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 06:36:51 »

Yes it is, and I'm very surprised on how strong this kit is going on the first day specially when NORDE kits have usually rough starts. Let's see how the kit does over the next couple days.  :thumb:

Offline Auk

« Reply #571 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:00:30 »
I see some of the discussion on Massdrop has become monumentally stupid, drama and petty attacks over nothing :rolleyes:

Anyway the Norde kit is doing nicely, though there is a little grumbling about the row one ^ key with ° that is not in the kit.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #572 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:18:11 »
I see some of the discussion on Massdrop has become monumentally stupid, drama and petty attacks over nothing :rolleyes:

Anyway the Norde kit is doing nicely, though there is a little grumbling about the row one ^ key with ° that is not in the kit.

Hang on a little bit on that kit, some small tweaks might be done.

Offline Auk

« Reply #573 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:22:21 »
not sure you should say that publicly, you're going to get bombarded with requests for every key possible now  :))

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #574 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:26:37 »
not sure you should say that publicly, you're going to get bombarded with requests for every key possible now  :))

The only key that would be added would be the one you have mentioned: ^ °

Offline Auk

« Reply #575 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 07:56:40 »

I was going to suggest trying to squeeze a single 1U blank or 1U novelty into the base kit  - I thought a 1U novelty might be better because there are none in the novelty pack, and it's always a popular option for all users to have the Esc key replaced with a novelty,

However the actual key people are asking for in the Norde kit would certainly be better. Germany only benefit from this tweak to the kit?

Offline avid

« Reply #576 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 08:00:05 »

Yes it is, and I'm very surprised on how strong this kit is going on the first day specially when NORDE kits have usually rough starts. Let's see how the kit does over the next couple days.  :thumb:

The price is very attractive on it and i think its very well balanced in terms of size. Im a norde user, but dont really care to pay extra for the scandinavian letters, but rather for the blue ISO enter. The others are just a bonus.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #577 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 15:57:33 »
Im in! Base, spacebars, and novelties. I've been waiting a long time for this buy, hope the colors come out as nice in person as they did in the renders.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:39:30 »

For GMK, it's the Wait that always makes you excited for the brilliant results, which they never fail in producing.

This is the difference between waiting for cheapo sh1te from Tai-Hao or some chinese knock-offs, bought over Flebay.  It can never compare to the quality and excellence in Cherry Profiled key-caps done correctly.

ALL of GMKs key-sets fit every keyboard made on Earth, simply because they have been doing it for a very long time using decent machinery (plastic injection).
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:42:21 by Elrick »

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 00:45:05 »

For GMK, it's the Wait that always makes you excited for the brilliant results, which they never fail in producing.

This is the difference between waiting for cheapo sh1te from Tai-Hao or some chinese knock-offs, bought over Flebay.  It can never compare to the quality and excellence in Cherry Profiled key-caps done correctly.

ALL of GMKs key-sets fit every keyboard made on Earth, simply because they have been doing it for a very long time using decent machinery (plastic injection).
As someone with two sets of gmk mixed on my home keyboard, I totally agree. Was just joking around :)

Offline pomk

« Reply #580 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 02:37:41 »

Zambumon - the eater of words.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-zambumon-gmk-nautilus-custom-keycap-set/talk/1741381
Anyway, while you are at it, please consider adding support for some nordic languages to the NORde kit as well. Nordic countries are like 60% of NOR_DE anyway.  :))

Regarding the confusion about the norde kit in the discussion over massdrop, maybe adding some disclaimer about the norde kit content on the main page could help.  I know that the keys are very much visible, but people are used to having full norde support in norde sets and thus some note about this not being the case is something to consider.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #581 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 03:56:55 »

I was going to suggest trying to squeeze a single 1U blank or 1U novelty into the base kit  - I thought a 1U novelty might be better because there are none in the novelty pack, and it's always a popular option for all users to have the Esc key replaced with a novelty,

However the actual key people are asking for in the Norde kit would certainly be better. Germany only benefit from this tweak to the kit?

As an ISO user I feel that every kit should include a single R1 blank key for the annoying key next to 1, that is different is every layout and just annoys everyone.

Offline avid

« Reply #582 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 04:04:06 »

As an ISO user I feel that every kit should include a single R1 blank key for the annoying key next to 1, that is different is every layout and just annoys everyone.

A blank key next to "1" would just look weird and out of place.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #583 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 04:08:37 »

A blank key next to "1" would just look weird and out of place.
I agree, any key or a blank are the same if they don't match your keyboard layout, but at least a key with legends would match the colour scheme better.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #584 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 04:37:31 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-zambumon-gmk-nautilus-custom-keycap-set/talk/1741381
Anyway, while you are at it, please consider adding support for some nordic languages to the NORde kit as well. Nordic countries are like 60% of NOR_DE anyway.  :))

Regarding the confusion about the norde kit in the discussion over massdrop, maybe adding some disclaimer about the norde kit content on the main page could help.  I know that the keys are very much visible, but people are used to having full norde support in norde sets and thus some note about this not being the case is something to consider.

Second that. I'm using Swedish ISO for the layout, but in this case I'll go for a 60% so I won't lament the passing of the §½ key. Had I been going for a 75%/TKL/full size build, I would probably have thought once or twice about what layout to use so a disclaimer would've been helpful in that case.

Also, on Swedish layouts, the extra symbol on R1 4 is actually the currency symbol ¤. $ is accessed with AltGr. Always thought this weird. It feels like ¤ is a fragment from a time long ago (it's a replacement symbol for when you can't type the correct currency cymbol, if I understand it correctly - I've never used it). It was used in BASIC on the ancient ABC80, a Swedish computer manufactured between the 70s and 80s. Removing it and replacing it with $ feels like a rational decision. :thumb:

A suggestion, and a question, though. I noticed that there are in total five keys to cover Nordic layouts. I don't know if it's possible with the printing technique used by GMK, but these are usually rationalized down to only three keys on Scandinavian keyboards: R3 ÄÆØ and ÖØÆ (Swedish and Norwegian layouts use the same placement of the keys, but Danish switch them). If it's possible to print the keys with three characters on the same key, two keys could be "saved" and perhaps used for other missing keys? (As a reference, have a look at the Nordic layout of the Vortex Pok3r RGB here: https://www.maxgaming.se/gaming-tangentbord/pok3r-rgb-mechanical-keyboard-mx-brown)

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, if so, I apologize for bringing it up again.

Offline avid

« Reply #585 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 09:26:38 »

Second that. I'm using Swedish ISO for the layout, but in this case I'll go for a 60% so I won't lament the passing of the §½ key. Had I been going for a 75%/TKL/full size build, I would probably have thought once or twice about what layout to use so a disclaimer would've been helpful in that case.

Also, on Swedish layouts, the extra symbol on R1 4 is actually the currency symbol ¤. $ is accessed with AltGr. Always thought this weird. It feels like ¤ is a fragment from a time long ago (it's a replacement symbol for when you can't type the correct currency cymbol, if I understand it correctly - I've never used it). It was used in BASIC on the ancient ABC80, a Swedish computer manufactured between the 70s and 80s. Removing it and replacing it with $ feels like a rational decision. :thumb:

A suggestion, and a question, though. I noticed that there are in total five keys to cover Nordic layouts. I don't know if it's possible with the printing technique used by GMK, but these are usually rationalized down to only three keys on Scandinavian keyboards: R3 ÄÆØ and ÖØÆ (Swedish and Norwegian layouts use the same placement of the keys, but Danish switch them). If it's possible to print the keys with three characters on the same key, two keys could be "saved" and perhaps used for other missing keys? (As a reference, have a look at the Nordic layout of the Vortex Pok3r RGB here: https://www.maxgaming.se/gaming-tangentbord/pok3r-rgb-mechanical-keyboard-mx-brown)

Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, if so, I apologize for bringing it up again.

really dislike that idea. Having plenty of the nordic characters on the same key looks like ****.

Offline FSund

« Reply #586 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 03:30:04 »
Will the child kits be produced even if they don't meet 100 orders? Mainly thinking about the Norde kit.

Offline Auk

« Reply #587 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 04:01:08 »
Based on the Yuri drop, yes it's likely that all kits will be manufactured. MD and GMK have been very accommodating :)

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #588 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 04:49:38 »
Will the child kits be produced even if they don't meet 100 orders? Mainly thinking about the Norde kit.

usually if any of the kits go near 75% of MoQ, MD just buys the rest as spares for RMA and so on, so the kits do get produced

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #589 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 04:53:02 »

I have no need of a Norde kit. Ordered one for solidarity. If nothing else I can use it to confuse my coworkers who can't touch type.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #590 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 04:56:33 »

I have no need of a Norde kit. Ordered one for solidarity. If nothing else I can use it to confuse my coworkers who can't touch type.

that's a very nice gesture... both the ordering of a kit you don't need, as well as the confusion of coworkers part  :p

Offline FSund

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 06:13:11 »

Nice!

Make no mistake, I have ordered the Norde kit, but if that won't be produced I think I'll have to cancel the whole order.

We're at 50 Norde kits already, so we'll probably creep close to 100 by the end.

Offline Zero2Cool

« Reply #592 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 09:26:45 »
I miss the ^° in the norde kit and i don't want to buy the community kit for one other R1 cap.

edit: the Nautilus Keycap Set is really nice !

Offline yokken

« Reply #593 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 09:32:44 »
Dang this thread has been busy. I just noticed that the base kit (nor any of the kits) doesn't come with barred F and J keys, which is a huge bummer considering the base kit comes with a lot of arguably less useful/more niche keys. I guess I will just have to live with it, but I thought a lot of people liked barred F and J. Not too many scoop fans. And this is coming from a person who can type without looking with no problem, but re-centers their hands by using the bars. The scoops just aren't deep enough to be easily found without spending a considerable amount of time "feeling" the key to figure out if it's the right one, in my opinion. That's the only thing missing from an otherwise legendary set. I will just have to live with it.

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #594 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 09:36:30 »
I miss the ^° in the norde kit and i don't want to buy the community kit for one other R1 cap.

Zambumon said, that the ^° key is coming to the Norde set!

Offline Zero2Cool

« Reply #595 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 09:41:21 »

Zambumon said, that the ^° key is coming to the Norde set!

that would be great !!!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #596 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 12:08:38 »
Dang this thread has been busy. I just noticed that the base kit (nor any of the kits) doesn't come with barred F and J keys, which is a huge bummer considering the base kit comes with a lot of arguably less useful/more niche keys. I guess I will just have to live with it, but I thought a lot of people liked barred F and J. Not too many scoop fans. And this is coming from a person who can type without looking with no problem, but re-centers their hands by using the bars. The scoops just aren't deep enough to be easily found without spending a considerable amount of time "feeling" the key to figure out if it's the right one, in my opinion. That's the only thing missing from an otherwise legendary set. I will just have to live with it.

Scoops are life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #597 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 16:15:33 »
Barred f and j are pretty standard nowadays. Don't know why they are not in the set.

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #598 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 16:31:39 »
Barred f and j are pretty standard nowadays. Don't know why they are not in the set.

Yep, this has been discussed before, no real comment from Zambumon, apparently the kits are locked down :(

Offline Auk

« Reply #599 on: Thu, 06 July 2017, 17:10:46 »
Hasn't this been discussed on here? $99 base kit with support for as many layouts as possible, inc. 40%, was the ambitious target. Cutting like for like duplicate functionality keys such as the extra homing keys and inverted color cursor keys was probably a tough decision, but necessary to get the price where it is.

If you put the F & J bars in what will you cut instead? UK support? The UK buyers won't pay for International kits if you do that. What if you cut a couple of the extra sizes of Alt or Fn? Now you lose some layout support.. There is no way to have everything unless you increase the price.

You can go around in circles forever trying to do better. In hindsight I think maybe the only change I would've made to the base kit would be to sacrifice one of the vertical numpad enter key colors in favor of having both ISO enter colors, and that change is arguable since ANSI is still the bigger market.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 July 2017, 17:28:12 by Auk »