Author Topic: Building a XD75 keyboard  (Read 4735 times)

Offline geekmonkey

Building a XD75 keyboard
« on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 03:27:07 »
(I think this looked like the right area to post this in, sorry if I got it wrong!)

I'm plotting out the building a XD75 board, currently filling my cart with the necessary bits before purchasing, hoping it will help the stuff from different sellers will then arrive in a similar time frame ;) I've never built any board before so, there's plenty I'm unfamiliar with. One of those things being LEDs; the XD75 has the specs, according to the Ali page, of
"Supporting 3mm 2-pin LED Hot-Swappable base
Underglow RGB PCB (supports LED installations for further customization)"
which aside of knowing it supports lighting, is kind of gibberish to me. I want my keys with LEDs, that's one of the two main reasons for choosing this board; I've grown quite fond of them in the one I have now and I want to keep that.

So, one of the parts they sell is "Gold-Plated hot swap socket for 3mm leds" which "only can be used at XD75, one led need 2 sockets
There is a reed in the socket so that it can clamp the Led pin.
How to use it?
1\Puting socket at XD75 LED hole
2\Soldering it at the bottome of pcb."

Are these necessary for installing the LEDs, or are they optional, just for making swapping out LEDs easy?

Offline nevin

Re: Building a XD75 keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 04:00:28 »
optional, just for making swapping out LEDs easy

known as SIP sockets. the sockets get soldered to the board, led just "plugs" into socket. ...allows for easy removal of led so you can remove switch top for maintenance or modding. you don't have to use them, but then you'd have to desolder the led to get the switch top open.
see thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51792

totally up to you.

example of underglow strip     https://docs.keeb.io/adding-rgb-underglow/
example of the RGB strip        https://keeb.io/collections/frontpage/products/rgb-led-strips-sk6812-ws2812b-compatible
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 04:23:44 »
Aha, I see. That thread is pretty interesting. Thank you!

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 04:40:49 »
no problem.

good luck with the build. don't be afraid to ask the forum for help if you get stuck. make sure to post back with progress/completion.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline geekmonkey

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 14:59:22 »
Definitely! I'm currently twiddling my thumbs because the store is apparently having a sale...in a few days. Hrmph! lol. So I'm waiting since a few of the bits it'll be nice to save a few bucks on, lol. And then it'll be a bit once I order, since China shipping, haha. But I am almost positive I will wind up with more questions once I start putting stuff together! ;P

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 04:51:17 »
actually for the SIP sockets, u will need to open up the cover of the switches to insert i think (or at least thats what i did on the first Build)
alternatively i use a dremel to widen base of the switches so that i can solder the SIP sockets first before putting on the switches.. which also makes it easier to desolder switches next time if needed.

for the LED, if you need to clip the legs, remember it is easier to clip the legs one long and one short so that you can know the positive leg vs the negative leg.
one easy way is to use nail clippers to cut both leads at the same time. (easier to find that side cutters or pliers)

have fun!

Offline missylo

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 05:18:01 »
Definitely! I'm currently twiddling my thumbs because the store is apparently having a sale...in a few days. Hrmph! lol. So I'm waiting since a few of the bits it'll be nice to save a few bucks on, lol. And then it'll be a bit once I order, since China shipping, haha. But I am almost positive I will wind up with more questions once I start putting stuff together! ;P

any updates on your XD75?