Author Topic: [GB]Commodore 64C SA Set(Open for Orders)  (Read 13193 times)

Offline The feel is of the keys!

• Click
[GB]Commodore 64C SA Set(Open for Orders)
« on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:13:59 »

The Commodore 64C set is now open at Pimp My Keyboard!

This group buy ends on July 2nd 2014, sets take 4-6 weeks to manufacture.

Sets are in SA profile made from doubleshot ABS:

It is important that people join the group buy early because the price drops drastically at 50(from $84->$63) people, and will continue to drop as more join!
The pricing table for this group buy is:
 Core: $84->(50sets)$63->(75sets)$56->(100sets)$53->(150sets)$50->(200sets)$48->(250sets)$47->(500sets)$45
 Numpad: $23->(50sets)$16->(75sets)$14->(100sets)$13->(150sets)$12->(200sets)$11->(250sets)$10->(500sets)$9
 Additional Mods: $35->(50sets)$23->(75sets)$18->(100sets)$16->(150sets)$14->(200sets)$13->(250sets)$12->(500sets)$11
 Spacebar 7u: $4->(50sets)$3->(75sets)$2

The colors being used are:
  • WBO main
  • TBT mods
  • NN legends
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:35:15 by The feel is of the keys! »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: [GB]Commodore 64C SA Set(Open for Orders)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:21:02 »
The link in your sig doesn't work.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:21:31 »
Your links are not working. Also it seems that your GB may use some advertizing.

Offline janvkn

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:28:36 »
The text on those legends looks like mobile Chrome trying to render a desktop website.

Offline bianco

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:39:45 »
Show Image

This group buy ends on June 2nd 2014, sets take 4-6 weeks to manufacture.

it's already June 6th 2014. is it supposed to be July instead?
looks nice, needs a few tweaking on the size/fonts.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 13:52:49 »
Love my Commodore 64 from back in the day. Love the SA profile. Don't know if I can resist this set!

• Click
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:32:40 »
Show Image

This group buy ends on June 2nd 2014, sets take 4-6 weeks to manufacture.

it's already June 6th 2014. is it supposed to be July instead?
looks nice, needs a few tweaking on the size/fonts.

Yes it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

• Click
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:36:27 »
The link in your sig doesn't work.

Your links are not working. Also it seems that your GB may use some advertizing.

Thanks, I had a few bits of incorrect html that has been resolved. The link should work now.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:03:52 »
It would have been fun, but I think it is much too inaccurate. Commodore didn't have a two-colour scheme like that, the font is wrong, C= symbol too large, wrong labels, crsr keys ... but most of all: No symbols on the front of the keys.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:08:59 »

It's been linked here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57761

Please avoid spamming advertising about group buys in random threads as it happened for the Granite set.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 15:19:36 »
It would have been fun, but I think it is much too inaccurate. Commodore didn't have a two-colour scheme like that, the font is wrong, C= symbol too large, wrong labels, crsr keys ... but most of all: No symbols on the front of the keys.

I would say it's more of an homage than a replica set.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 17:35:33 »

I agree.   Still I love classic beige sets.  I will probably end up getting this.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 19:09:37 »

I agree.   Still I love classic beige sets.  I will probably end up getting this.

Already have  :thumb: .  There needs to be more love for old style key-sets.  These new key-sets with images are too distracting, you need just plain text and your thrown back in time to when keyboards were built to do a simple task.

I sure hope this meets the moq in 25 days time.

• Click
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:59:40 »

It is more of a homage set. If I did it as a "replica" set it would all be beige with only the right keys in the darker tan, which I felt would loose a lot of people so I went with the dark mods, and light core.

As for the C= key it will be smaller I think.. Depends on what SP has for the doubleshot mold. The Commodore 64C is a two color beige that I did my best to color match with the ABS swatches and what SP had in stock. As for font, new legends are $45 a letter so that wasn't going to happen.

It's a bad photo, but you can kinda tell the F1-F8 keys are darker.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:05:50 by The feel is of the keys! »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:34:05 »
I know a lot of the "SA" profile group buys have been "almost SA" -- they won't use all the profiles in the way a DCS set would, because SP didn't have the right moulds to do a full set that way.  Some are "all row 3", others are "mostly row 3, but the function keys and bottom row are different".

What's the story here?

Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:44:09 »
I know a lot of the "SA" profile group buys have been "almost SA" -- they won't use all the profiles in the way a DCS set would, because SP didn't have the right moulds to do a full set that way.  Some are "all row 3", others are "mostly row 3, but the function keys and bottom row are different".

What's the story here?

This is what he posted in the OP.

More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 22:13:35 »
As for the C= key it will be smaller I think.. Depends on what SP has for the doubleshot mold. The Commodore 64C is a two color beige that I did my best to color match with the ABS swatches and what SP had in stock. As for font, new legends are $45 a letter so that wasn't going to happen.
Show Image

It's a bad photo, but you can kinda tell the F1-F8 keys are darker.

Yeah make this key-set a 'homage' to the original, have no problem with that at all.  We need to praise what's been done in the past because they have a future here on Geekhack.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 22:49:18 »

What's the story here?

This is what he posted in the OP.

Show Image

I would much prefer this profile arrangement over the mostly-R3 arrangement that some go for. I have used the mostly-R3 version, and feel that it lacks a certain something which the "sculpted" profile would give.

Just a caveat that the shift keys and all the bottom row will be in R3 profile, though, as that's all SP has molds for.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 23:11:35 »
Who needs to pay rent when you can have more keys!

:))

:(

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 23:27:53 »
Just a caveat that the shift keys and all the bottom row will be in R3 profile, though, as that's all SP has molds for.

Cheap bastards, there racking in the money yet still haven't spent any extra on appropriate molds for the SA Profile?

More and more people are buying the SA sets, hence SP should be forking out the money for more molds here to finally complete the SA profile - properly  >:( .

• Click
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 00:50:45 »

Cheap bastards, there racking in the money yet still haven't spent any extra on appropriate molds for the SA Profile?

More and more people are buying the SA sets, hence SP should be forking out the money for more molds here to finally complete the SA profile - properly  >:( .
I have a feeling that if the SA set picks up and more people use it in GBs either it can be requested to be made (At the cost of raising the GB's price), or SP will do it on their own. I hope to do more SA sets so I might look into what the cost would be if new molds were requested in order to have the correct profiles. I have a feeling the answer will be $45 a key since, iirc that's the cost of having new molds made when they were doing the cherry replica legends.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 00:54:34 »
I would love to see this set in DSA also.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

• Click
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 06:17:34 »
At the moment I want to do SA sets, but after two or three SA sets I might do this one again in DSA as several people have shown interest in a DSA set. Maybe i'll do it on the anniversary of the 64C's release.

Before then I want to do a more "flashy" SA set (I'm thinking Red/blue, or Black/Green legend [terminal], but I plan on doing a discussion to see what others think), after that I want to do another Commodore set with the dark brown keys(I need find one to do color matching to first).

Offline SL89

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 08:27:34 »
I am ordering a spare C64x and depending on what keycaps that comes with i might be in on this one as well. Thanks for putting this homage together.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 15:52:39 »
At the moment I want to do SA sets, but after two or three SA sets I might do this one again in DSA as several people have shown interest in a DSA set. Maybe i'll do it on the anniversary of the 64C's release.

Sounds good.  Would you consider doing it in dye-sub, or are you only wanting to do double shot ABS?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 17:29:35 »

Sounds good.  Would you consider doing it in dye-sub, or are you only wanting to do double shot ABS?

From what Matt3o has said, organizing a dyesub PBT GB is an order of magnitude more complicated and demanding for the community organizer. It wouldn't be worth what SP is offering (one free set) for the organizer to invest that much time in it.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 18:36:23 »

From what Matt3o has said, organizing a dyesub PBT GB is an order of magnitude more complicated and demanding for the community organizer. It wouldn't be worth what SP is offering (one free set) for the organizer to invest that much time in it.

Yeah I'm part of the DSA Granite GB, and I remember hearing Matt mention it was more complicated.   

However they are looking like they are going to turn out amazing.  So it never hurts to ask  :)
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

• Click
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:38:48 »

I plan to expand into dyesubs later on, but for now I am sticking with doublshot ABS.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 10:44:27 »
What kind of home keys indicator will the set have, nubs or deep dish?
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 10:55:15 »
What kind of home keys indicator will the set have, nubs or deep dish?

SA caps don't have nubs. So deep dish is the only way.

in memoriam

Offline nilpt

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:01:46 »
Please allow me to elucidate:

And personally I prefer nubs to deep dish :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:08:01 by nilpt »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:39:34 »
Is that from an SP crap bag or something? I obviously wasn't aware that SP had molds for homing bumps. I don't like them, personally, and much prefer scoops. I've never seen an SA set of caps by SP that had bumps instead of scoops.

in memoriam

Offline nilpt

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:43:03 »
Yes, this is from an SP grab bag.
Nubs, nubs, nubs, ...  :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:47:03 »
Yes, this is from an SP grab bag.
Nubs, nubs, nubs, ...  :D

I don't mind the homing nubs on DCS sets, because they are low profile and close to the edge of the top surface of the cap. Those centered bumps would drive me batty.

in memoriam

Offline nilpt

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:50:25 »
Is that for the aesthetics or for the function?
My fingers drive better with the center nubs instead of the bottom homing bars or the deep dish.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 12:39:14 »
That J key should be from the 23 commando GB "Upgrade kit 01":

Included in the set "megaxpop" is selling:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59301.msg1359072#msg1359072

• Click
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 08:00:51 »
I sent an email to confirm that they'll be domed/deepdished. The next SA set I will do my best to remember to have both deep dish and standard. This was my first GB so there's a lot I forgot/didn't realize when setting it up (ergodox, DVORAK, F&J, etc), but I have a better Idea now, and will do my best to have the next one done better.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 09:42:45 »
... The next SA set I will do my best to remember to have both deep dish and standard. ...
What do you mean with "standard" in this context?
I think 23 Commando had deep dish F&J in the main kit; plus one center nub F&J and one unmarked F&J in an add-on kit.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 00:11:20 »
No go unless there is confirmation of Ergodoxian blanks at the very least :(

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 01:55:12 »
Just to get confirmation here with this particular Group Buy, say we never get another 19 people to sign up what happens then?

Do we still get our key-sets or will it be cancelled?  Would we be charged more for it to go through to production?

Just have never been in a Group Buy that has failed to meet the tipping point before and would like to know what SP will do in that situation.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 01:58:51 »
Just to get confirmation here with this particular Group Buy, say we never get another 19 people to sign up what happens then?

Do we still get our key-sets or will it be cancelled?  Would we be charged more for it to go through to production?

Just have never been in a Group Buy that has failed to meet the tipping point before and would like to know what SP will do in that situation.

From what I understand the GB will not happen and you will not get charged if it doesn't pass the first tipping point.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 01:59:17 »

MOQ must be met, or the GB will fizzle.

• Click
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 12:33:46 »
... The next SA set I will do my best to remember to have both deep dish and standard. ...
What do you mean with "standard" in this context?
I think 23 Commando had deep dish F&J in the main kit; plus one center nub F&J and one unmarked F&J in an add-on kit.

What I mean by standard is the key is the same as the rest, neither deep dish, nor nub.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 19:18:17 »
From what I understand the GB will not happen and you will not get charged if it doesn't pass the first tipping point.

That sux major league  >:D .  A very nice, decent, retro key-set but no ones interested, not the first time everyone misses out on a brilliant design because the 'kids' only want fluoro coloured junk in their faces 24/7.

Maybe one day we'll get enough love for the C64 and get these finally made into reality.

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 20:58:54 »

That sux major league  >:D .  A very nice, decent, retro key-set but no ones interested, not the first time everyone misses out on a brilliant design because the 'kids' only want fluoro coloured junk in their faces 24/7.

Maybe one day we'll get enough love for the C64 and get these finally made into reality.

That's a very derisive attitude :(

I want this set, but certain things like the lack of Ergodoxian sets (even blanks!) makes it difficult to pull the trigger.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 06:12:41 »

As much as I love the C64, this set just doesn't do it for me. I'm not feeling the C64 vibe...:/

Not too sure about the price and SA profile too...

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 07:16:07 »
As much as I love the C64, this set just doesn't do it for me. I'm not feeling the C64 vibe...:/

Not too sure about the price and SA profile too...

If this doesn't grab you, nothing will pal  ::) .

It looks like a retro style without it all being fluoro with rad colours and stupid kid-style graphics everywhere.  Sometimes you need a key-set that was designed by serious people who want to use their C64 without interruption.

As much as I love some key-sets for sale here on this site these are the ones you keep for a special keyboard to remind you of a bygone era.

He didn't pounce it up so he gets real cred for keeping the essentials and only showing what's basically required to fill out a standard MX keyboard.  Just feel so sorry that most would rather have fancy graphics on their key-caps instead of engineered perfection.

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:09:27 »
I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this set. Sought after colorway, thickest SP caps you can buy, 'retro'.

Is it because people don't like the SA family?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 21:46:04 »
I'm surprised more people aren't interested in this set. Sought after colorway, thickest SP caps you can buy, 'retro'.

Is it because people don't like the SA family?

Even though I like this set the way that it is.  I would much rather have it in DSA profile.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline User Was Banned

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 22:01:29 »
Yeah, DSA is nice, but I think the SA caps from SP are thicker right?. I can't stand thin caps.