Author Topic: [IC] Ion: Xeno 75% - Group buy open now @zealpc.net !!  (Read 163000 times)

Offline Undrcontrl

Re: [IC] Ion: Xeno 75%
« Reply #600 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 11:59:45 »
Won't lie, I have only read the first page of comments because I just came across this and it is now 12 pages deep.

Did you decide whether to ad split space back into the design? I LOVE this board but would be fully sold only if it had the split space. A 6 or 7u key has a TON of wasted space, tbh, so chopping even just in half allows for more functionality that ever.
Think about it, 99% of people use 1 thumb and hit the space within a 1-2u area, leaving so much space wasted.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #601 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 12:09:13 »
Won't lie, I have only read the first page of comments because I just came across this and it is now 12 pages deep.

Did you decide whether to ad split space back into the design? I LOVE this board but would be fully sold only if it had the split space. A 6 or 7u key has a TON of wasted space, tbh, so chopping even just in half allows for more functionality that ever.
Think about it, 99% of people use 1 thumb and hit the space within a 1-2u area, leaving so much space wasted.
I agree with you but a large space bar looks amazing.

Offline Undrcontrl

« Reply #602 on: Sat, 06 October 2018, 12:11:10 »

Looks only go so far for me. I am more about function over aesthetics, tbh. Especially if it is something I plan to use every day for years. As well, a good layout, with split space, can look very clean as well!

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #603 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 14:33:58 »
will this be happening anytime soon?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #604 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 15:55:11 »
will this be happening anytime soon?

YES

Looks only go so far for me. I am more about function over aesthetics, tbh. Especially if it is something I plan to use every day for years. As well, a good layout, with split space, can look very clean as well!

Sorry dude, no split space. 
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #605 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 16:00:18 »
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #606 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 19:39:53 »

75% is basically a more compact version of a tkl. Idk why you would ever need split space on this layout tbh. Plus just because space is "wasted" doesnt mean that it SHOULD be cut up.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 14:45:28 »

75% is basically a more compact version of a tkl. Idk why you would ever need split space on this layout tbh. Plus just because space is "wasted" doesnt mean that it SHOULD be cut up.

Have you typed with a split spacebar? its pretty comfortable and usability wise its very functional. Leekus compact 1800 pcb & 75% supports split spacebar and its basically fullsized! the one criticism I could give for it is I dislike plates with massive cutouts for supporting every layout under the sun  :p

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #608 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 11:51:01 »

Have you typed with a split spacebar? its pretty comfortable and usability wise its very functional. Leekus compact 1800 pcb & 75% supports split spacebar and its basically fullsized! the one criticism I could give for it is I dislike plates with massive cutouts for supporting every layout under the sun  :p .

Make plates ~~great~~ fixed again.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #609 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 12:26:31 »
Damn. Just saw this thread for the first time.

Looks tempting indeed. I like the idea of the F-blocker very much on such a small keyboard.

But... that pause key on the far right top is hideous. It is ruining aesthetics of the whole keyboard. It makes a vertical line in a completely wrong way.

Offline dimo

[IC] Ion: Xeno 75%
« Reply #610 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:21:25 »
I read like 200 posts in until december of last year, and at that point the design was basically done, I’m just wondering why another 400 posts and a year later this board wasn’t made?

the board is beautiful though, I’m glad I didn’t miss it :3

Offline Funktion

« Reply #611 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 13:46:10 »
I believe he had another project running while this was on IC. It's been a bit of a reservation for me as well however. I'm hoping this will run through a reputable vendor and not just through geekhack. Makes me feel more secure with my money that way.

Don't get me wrong I am excited but your worries are shared among many I'm sure.

Offline TheAutoManCan

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:00:04 »
Have you typed with a split spacebar? its pretty comfortable and usability wise its very functional. Leekus compact 1800 pcb & 75% supports split spacebar and its basically fullsized! the one criticism I could give for it is I dislike plates with massive cutouts for supporting every layout under the sun  :p .
I agree on the matter of comfort and functionality. I went with the split space layout on my CA66 and it feels great to use. The R1 plates were exempt from huge cutouts since the CA66 only supports two spacebar configurations. It's a bit harder to do a clean job on boards like this that already support several spacebar configurations so I can understand why split space would be omitted.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #613 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:20:42 »
I believe he had another project running while this was on IC. It's been a bit of a reservation for me as well however. I'm hoping this will run through a reputable vendor and not just through geekhack. Makes me feel more secure with my money that way.

Don't get me wrong I am excited but your worries are shared among many I'm sure.

Yep, basically had another project and this was sort of planned to run after that through the same vendor which turned in to quite the waste of time.

That being said, it will still be through a reputable vendor although not as originally planned, it is in much better hands and things are progressing finally.

Offline dimo

« Reply #614 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 14:43:54 »

Yep, basically had another project and this was sort of planned to run after that through the same vendor which turned in to quite the waste of time.

That being said, it will still be through a reputable vendor although not as originally planned, it is in much better hands and things are progressing finally.

Great to hear, thanks !

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #615 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 02:45:02 »
Hype

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #616 on: Fri, 12 October 2018, 05:06:02 »
Will there be an European proxy?

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #617 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 16:04:03 »
Having to wait for this hurts..

Offline Funktion

« Reply #618 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 18:52:45 »
I keep having to remind myself I earmarked some money for this board and can't spend it on anything else.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #619 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 22:13:33 »
I keep having to remind myself I earmarked some money for this board and can't spend it on anything else.

let it grow some interest.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #620 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 23:30:46 »

I agree with kiwi on this. Split space can be both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #621 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 09:45:50 »

I agree with kiwi on this. Split space can be both functional and aesthetically pleasing.

Stahp tryin to ruin muh plates :O

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #622 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 09:46:02 »
I regret the day I ever fell in this money sucking rabbit hole of a hobby. that being said, i cannot wait for the GB! Sign me up!  ^-^

Offline Funktion

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 17:31:15 »
Are you able to tell us which vendor you are working with?

Offline LoneWolf6

« Reply #624 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:59:21 »
interested and waiting for group buy

Offline Undrcontrl

« Reply #625 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 16:35:11 »

Remsky, you are right. Just because space is "wasted" doesn't mean that it SHOULD be cut up. Yet this hobby is here for the idea that people are allowed to express their interest in changes to board, purchase boards that work for them...we are allowed to have a difference of opinion on what is the most ideal layout for each person. I could own an 1800 layout and still want split space. Why? Because I only use 1-2u worth of space for "space" and the rest of that space in a standard spacebar has been dedicated to backspace and enter, which I can now hit with shorter movement of my hands, especially since my thumb now rests directly over the backspace.
It isn't about whether I have enough keys to do what I want, a 40% works just as well for my day to day use as a full board does, it is about what is comfortable and efficient for ME to type on so I simply asked if he had put more thought into it since it had been an idea. That would have sold me immediately on the board but now I have to think about whether I need another "standard" board.
My daily boards are ergodox and a Banana, which both have the backspace/space/enter on the thumb cluster area so I am so used to the movement that I consistently mess up when typing on any other keyboard. For this reason I have a number of beautiful boards sitting here that get little use because of this. It is my opinion, my boards, and what works for me and I am happy to just be me and the one who likes it, yet I also respect people such as yourself that believe a full size space is ideal.

Saying that, I am saddened that the board will not, at least, support the option for split space and I will now have to think a bit more on whether it is for me to join this GB but I still appreciate what the runner has done with breaking up the standard 75% and do not fault at all that what I enjoy is not there.

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #626 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 10:56:06 »
Just found this IC.

Looks great as I have been looking for a new 75% for a while. In for one.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 17:09:13 »
Really like the Idea of blocking the F row. Add one more person to the list of potential buyers.

Offline Insomnium

« Reply #628 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 12:32:26 »

Do you have a particular date in mind for the GB? How is the prepartation process coming along, we are still patiently waiting for any new information and the eventual GB :D

Offline Poblopuablo

« Reply #629 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 23:21:42 »

Do you have a particular date in mind for the GB? How is the prepartation process coming along, we are still patiently waiting for any new information and the eventual GB :D

I second this question.... And I third it, and I fourth it. :)

So excited just would like to know because I have a couple other boards I'm interested in also, but can't afford them all at the same time. :) (One is going on group buy in a month, but if this is around the same time, I'll just pass on that lol)

Offline sythie

« Reply #630 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 05:26:52 »
Finally a 75% separating the F-row from the alphas!

A PVD brass case option would look damn fine :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2018, 03:38:14 by sythie »

Offline sythie

« Reply #631 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 03:49:02 »
That being said I cast my vote to f-row with spacers.

Layout A from the image below, where the F9-row aligns with the 0-key and others below.

I believe this to be the render:

Offline fcnchuck

« Reply #632 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 11:42:17 »
bump for this board.

I really hope the GB pans out.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:23:23 »
bump for this board.

No worries, it will.  Samples have been made, factory was testing finishes for the pvd brass.  Announcement and pics will come when they are in hand.

Offline SBN

« Reply #634 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:24:47 »
bump for this board.

No worries, it will.  Samples have been made, factory was testing finishes for the pvd brass.  Announcement and pics will come when they are in hand.

NICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline yuppie

« Reply #635 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:26:21 »
Really love the updated logo on the back! Glad to see some movement on this.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Funktion

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:29:36 »
bump for this board.

NICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The long wait is almost over. Glad to hear about the progress.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2018, 19:30:48 by Funktion »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #637 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:35:00 »
Really love the updated logo on the back! Glad to see some movement on this.

Renders are a bit outdated, it has been switched back to a through weight but that same logo is on the weight as well.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #638 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 14:39:42 »

Renders are a bit outdated, it has been switched back to a through weight but that same logo is on the weight as well.

Hype me up fam

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #639 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 17:34:44 »
Nice! Dont be a limited slot pls  :p

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #640 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 20:13:28 »
This is very interesting.

What happened to the slit space bar idea?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

« Reply #641 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 20:21:10 »

Hype me up fam
X2...

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #642 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 22:11:47 »
This is very interesting.

What happened to the slit space bar idea?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

It was long ago rejected?

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #643 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 19:06:54 »
This might be too soon but are there any updates on this? I'd love to see this come to life soon! :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #644 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:14:00 »
It’s Alive!  Check zealpc for the gb  :eek:

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #645 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:26:33 »
Holy ****, I never thought I'd see the day!
Pwner, since this is being run through zeal, can we expect the same anodizing quality /overall quality as seen on the zephyr? If so, I'm really glad you went with zeal as the vendor!

Edit: also, will it be possible to buy plates&pcbs separately? I wouldn't mind a half and full plate setup.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:30:15 by oh_chesteroni »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #646 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:30:18 »
Question.  The half plate is Brass?  I thought it was going to be PC. 

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 14:32:37 »
I didn't notice when he changed the side cutout design from earlier renders. Kind of prefer the old one better, but the layout is the real selling point on this kit  :eek:
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline menuhin

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 15:38:37 »
This is going to be my end-game!

Hope I can add a PCB to the purchase. And perhaps make the build hotswappable, and with both plate options.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #649 on: Mon, 26 November 2018, 16:57:18 »
Holy ****, I never thought I'd see the day!
Pwner, since this is being run through zeal, can we expect the same anodizing quality /overall quality as seen on the zephyr? If so, I'm really glad you went with zeal as the vendor!

Edit: also, will it be possible to buy plates&pcbs separately? I wouldn't mind a half and full plate setup.

Yes, same factory as zephyr.

At the moment due to shopify limitations and the shipping box, no.  I will see if there is anything I can do to sort this out.

This is going to be my end-game!

Hope I can add a PCB to the purchase. And perhaps make the build hotswappable, and with both plate options.

As mentioned above due to shopify limitations and the shipping box extras aren't currently available.  I'm assuming Zeal will have some stocked on his site, but I will confirm that.

Question.  The half plate is Brass?  I thought it was going to be PC. 

We were not happy with the pc sample.  Switching to brass allowed us to offer more pvd choices without worry of splitting moq between different plate materials.

Big thank you to everyone that has stuck by and supported me on what seemed like an endless journey, it is very much appreciated!