geekhack Community > Ergonomics

ASETGHNIOP

(1/3) > >>

ASETNIOP:
Greetings! I'm experimenting with a new layout I've put together and thought I'd share the concept here.  It's a very simple change; for each finger, the home row key becomes the most common letter that is already typed using that finger.  This leads to the following key arrangement, where six of the original home row keys (D,F,J,K,L,;) are swapped (E,T,N,I,O,P):

I'm just getting started, but I thought I'd toss it out here for folks to check out if anyone is interested.  My typing speed dropped from ~90 wpm with QWERTY to ~20 with this new method (I am thinking of calling it the "poinsettia" layout) and is now back up to ~60 wpm after approximately four hours of practice.

ASETNIOP:
Six hours of direct practice along with using it for some coding and my average tested speed is now in the low seventies. 

Probably not particularly interesting, but I'm tracking my progress on a Google spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e4wPakQVC5a9u2dCzs9a5dk9nO4EWyy61Hpn_FrTQkM/edit?usp=sharing.

jacethesaltsculptor:
This is interesting to watch someones progress with this granularity, I've always wondered how I'd do on another layout, I may someday try it for awhile to see.

It'd probably something like Colemak, I'm not as brave as you.

ASETNIOP:
I'm into the high seventies now, and pretty much have returned to regular productivity.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Every now and again I'll slip into an older progression, but that's been happening less and less frequently.  I expect that sooner or later it will vanish entirely. 

jacethesaltsculptor:
In another month, I'd love to see a comparison to your older type speed to see differences.

Also, you named the set: ASETGHNIOP

which I can appreciate, because at least that is pronounceable.

But in my heart of hearts, this will always be: QWDRF. (quid-derf)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version