Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3503097 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1500 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 01:58:31 »
Better off with a QFR and custom plate

This has a custom plate, right? - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43169.msg878846#msg878846

Yuppers

lol thanks. I thought so, but I don't know too much about plates outside of 60% boards  :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:06:41 by Jocelyn »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1502 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:13:26 »
Thinking about selling my ducky for that custom QFR.  How much will a tkl ducky shine 2 go for here with white Led and blue switch? Also, is $100 a good price for a set of IMSTO caps? Anyways, night, will come back tomorrow. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1503 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:14:57 »
As I said in the OP, there is a pricing thread. Please go there to have your question answered.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1504 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:24:19 »
Kk, sorry!   If I got the kb with greens, could I change to stem to a linear key like blacks or clears and get the springs instead of buying them with the enclosure?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1505 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:34:42 »
I'm pretty sure you can swap stems/springs but it'll be hard to find *just* the stems. It's easier to find springs though as switches will share the same spring. For example, MX Blues/Reds/Browns use the same springs.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1506 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:39:39 »
I'm pretty sure you can swap stems/springs but it'll be hard to find *just* the stems. It's easier to find springs though as switches will share the same spring. For example, MX Blues/Reds/Browns use the same springs.
gotcha, thanks.   Also, they make custom non cherry standard springs? Those seem fun.  Do you have any recs on a cheap,  quite number pad?  I need one for school next year as I heard it's constant typing on the numpad, and I don't want to use a rubber dome... :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1507 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:44:20 »
Yes, there are custom springs. I just bought 62g springs. And you can buy an Adesso TenKeyPad for around ~$20-30. I'm also giving one away here. ^-^
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2013, 03:13:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1508 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 03:06:51 »
Yes, there are custom springs. I just bought 62g springs. And you can buy an Adesso TenKeyPad for around ~$20-30. I'm also giving one away [ur=http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43163.msg878723#msg878723]here[/url]. ^-^
love the twerk on the thread, also, too bad I only have 10 posts! I need to spam 140 more soonish... :p  I'll probably get one of those Adesso ones, as they are pretty cheap! :D

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1509 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 04:39:18 »
Kk, sorry!   If I got the kb with greens, could I change to stem to a linear key like blacks or clears and get the springs instead of buying them with the enclosure?

If you get it, I'll trade you some black stems and 62g springs for the green stems and springs.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1510 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:16:13 »
Is it possible to post a picture in a thread here directly from an android phone without going through a computer?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1511 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:58:46 »
Is it possible to post a picture in a thread here directly from an android phone without going through a computer?

Sure. If you're using a browser it'll need to be hosted. If you're using tapatalk, hit the little camera icon, choose gallery, and upload the photo :)

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1512 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 10:19:52 »

If you get it, I'll trade you some black stems and 62g springs for the green stems and springs.
I'd love to try the springs, are they the gold plated ones?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1513 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 10:30:29 »

Can you guys please settle this in PMs?

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1514 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 11:53:34 »

Can you guys please settle this in PMs?
sure thing, sorry!  Also, I heard of ghetto greens, and the greens are just stiffer blues, so do they use the same stem?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1515 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 11:54:38 »
Ghetto Greens are Blues with Black Springs I believe.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1516 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 11:59:21 »
so uh... this post went in the wrong place. I meant to reply to The_Beast.

And wait for the HID Liberator for the QFR... hopefully.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1517 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:04:20 »
actually what I'm wondering is if green and blues use the same stem, or if they're the same. I'm also wondering if browns use just a black stem with a weaker spring...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1518 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:12:54 »
actually what I'm wondering is if green and blues use the same stem, or if they're the same. I'm also wondering if browns use just a black stem with a weaker spring...

All the stem colors are different. Green, Blue, Brown, and Black all have different stems. It's the springs that are often shared. Blacks are linear, Browns are tactile; so the stems can't be the same.

Edit: You should read through some of the Deskthority Wiki switch stuff. Link is here.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:14:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1519 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:43:38 »
Are there any custom plates that allow easy switch swaps for full sized keyboards?  Also who h keyboards are they compatible with?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1520 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:45:38 »
^ No

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1521 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:46:13 »
what's happening right now on irc

CPT i'm scared

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1522 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:49:27 »
Freenode is doing something with their server right now and everyone is getting booted. Be calm my child and pray to the Halverson for guidance in your troubled times.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1523 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:52:51 »
Oh great Halverson
help us all with this burden that is the dying irc

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1524 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 22:15:26 »

All the stem colors are different. Green, Blue, Brown, and Black all have different stems. It's the springs that are often shared. Blacks are linear, Browns are tactile; so the stems can't be the same.

Edit: You should read through some of the Deskthority Wiki switch stuff. Link is here.
KK, thanks for the link! :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1525 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 09:42:31 »

Sure. If you're using a browser it'll need to be hosted. If you're using tapatalk, hit the little camera icon, choose gallery, and upload the photo :)

I upload photos directly from my Android phone all the time, without hosting. Just do the same thing you do on your computer in the browser.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1526 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 11:32:36 »
I got it moose thanx.  I just used tapatalk.  I just don't like it for standard forum browsing.

Now on to my question.

Can anyone confirm if this KVM switch will work with a USB keyboard with a PS/2 adapter?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1527 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:34:37 »
Does the keyboard work with a PS/2 adapter plugged directly into your computer?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1528 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:38:38 »
Does the keyboard work with a PS/2 adapter plugged directly into your computer?

Based on this I would assume that the answer to this question would be the answer.  That was what i figured it was but wanted to ask.

Now has anyone had an existing plate modified for easy switch stem swap?  I have the dimensions but was wondering how it turned out.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1529 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:41:57 »
Well, that was just a precursory question. It's possible that even if it does work, it might not work properly with the KVM. Unless you found someone who had firsthand experience, or tried it out yourself, it'd be hard to say.

I would think no, at least nothing I've ever seen. It'd be a lot to modify. I assume you're looking to mod it by hand? If you were looking to run it through a laser cutter, I would imagine the price to just make a new one may be negligible.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1530 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:52:45 »
thanks for the info moose.  But yeah i was either going to do it by hand or use a friends bridge port.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1531 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:54:32 »
How does the spring weights on the Ultra Classic compare to cherry switches?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1532 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:56:48 »
thanks for the info moose.  But yeah i was either going to do it by hand or use a friends bridge port.

Try it and see what happens. I would imagine that as long as you don't mess with the overall square too much, you would still be able to put a switch inside of it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1533 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:58:08 »
thats what i was thinking

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1534 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:04:05 »

I upload photos directly from my Android phone all the time, without hosting. Just do the same thing you do on your computer in the browser.

Why? Then you run the risk of the photos not being available a year from now for new people to see.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1535 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:11:53 »
Are you predicting another attack? And what's to say that the site you upload them to will be around for another year?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1536 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:22:08 »
Are you predicting another attack? And what's to say that the site you upload them to will be around for another year?

Lol no! It has more to do with the fact that I've lost photos/files on other forums as well, due to what I would I assume were filesystem/directory problems. There's also no reason for me to believe imageshack won't exist a year from now, but I won't deny that your question is valid.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1537 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:22:48 »

They are heavier in general (65-70g) to actuate. (heavier than blues, browns, and reds.)

I think Cherry MX Greens require 80g, Blacks 60g
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1538 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:23:11 »
Long live Imgur!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1539 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 13:33:46 »

Lol no! It has more to do with the fact that I've lost photos/files on other forums as well, due to what I would I assume were filesystem/directory problems. There's also no reason for me to believe imageshack won't exist a year from now, but I won't deny that your question is valid.

I was just messin' with ya, doll. It's not really all too important to me. I save all of my pictures, so if there were needed somewhere in the future, I have them. If not, then oh well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1540 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 15:41:55 »

Really, the actuation force required has little to do with the feel of the switch. Buckling springs feel nothing like MX switches. And Topre feel nothing like either of those.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1541 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 15:45:25 »
I realize that they don't feel like any MX switch was mostly wondering about actuation force.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1542 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:01:26 »
I realize that they don't feel like any MX switch was mostly wondering about actuation force.

Okay, good deal. I just wanted to let you and other people know. We get questions all the time about, "Which MX switch feels most like 55g Topre," and so forth.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1543 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:07:15 »

Okay, good deal. I just wanted to let you and other people know. We get questions all the time about, "Which MX switch feels most like 55g Topre," and so forth.

Green MX = Buclking Spring

Ergo Clears = Topre

FTW!...ok just kidding....:p

*Note I have never tried any switch mentioned above...yet....

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1544 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 18:24:07 »
after desoldering a WYSE terminal board today, I really want to know why they bent the pins on some of the switch legs. It's annoying.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1545 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:18:02 »
after desoldering a WYSE terminal board today, I really want to know why they bent the pins on some of the switch legs. It's annoying.

Ahh, so that's what you meant in the soldering thread. :)  I couldn't quite get what you were asking. Yeah, just remove the solder from the joint. Then, to remove the switch from the PCB/plate, put the tip of a phillips head screwdriver on the little nub where the switch pokes out of the PCB, and push...hard! It will pop right out of there.

in memoriam

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1546 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:44:46 »
^ Careful when you do that though. If there are enough solder still left underneath the bent pins, it might rip off some of the trace. Of course, if you don't care about the board, pry as much as you want. But some modern boards, like Leopold, have bent pins too. In this case, heat the solder, while it's melted take some fine tip pliers and unbend. Then suck up all the solder. It's more time consuming, but if you want to save the PCB, this is a safe way.

Offline pandather

• Formerly gopanthersgo1
  • Hello, I'm Mark.
« Reply #1547 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 00:18:14 »
Bought the CM QFR with the custom plate, green switches, clear arrow keys, and a dark gray escape cap, as well as dimmer, green LEDs.   Is there an official mod thread for it? Also, I got some leftover 55g springs from a group buy! :D

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1548 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 03:03:59 »
Congrats. I loved my QFR.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1549 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 05:39:55 »
Bought the CM QFR with the custom plate, green switches, clear arrow keys, and a dark gray escape cap, as well as dimmer, green LEDs.   Is there an official mod thread for it? Also, I got some leftover 55g springs from a group buy! :D

There's a stickied thread on how to lube switches. But there'a no comprehensive single thread on modding. You'll have to dig through the Keyboards and Making Stuff Together subforums or just read a bunch of threads in general to learn.