Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1850227 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #850 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 09:14:57 »
what kind of iron is it? is it a station or a stand-alone pencil? not getting hot with a pencil indicates heater failure. if it's a station it could either be the power supply or the heater. sometimes cheaper to replace the heater (on a high quality iron) than the entire iron.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #851 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 14:26:27 »
Any suggestions for heat setting on my Weller with a 1.6mm tip?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #852 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 14:28:43 »
Any suggestions for heat setting on my Weller with a 1.6mm tip?

If it's a WLC100, just go 3 - 3.5
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #853 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 14:29:04 »
What model Weller do you have? Can you adjust it to an actual temperature or do you have the Weller that has heat levels 1-5?

If you can set it to an actual temperature, I usually run my iron around 650 - 700 F.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #854 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:25:18 »
what kind of iron is it? is it a station or a stand-alone pencil? not getting hot with a pencil indicates heater failure. if it's a station it could either be the power supply or the heater. sometimes cheaper to replace the heater (on a high quality iron) than the entire iron.

Thanks for the response!

It's a Tekpower 936D, which is a station. It has a digital display for the temperature which comes on when I power it on but the pen just doesn't get hot.

Also, Do you know if the tips I have for this thing will fit on a Yihua 936?? I tried googling for about an hour but with no success :(

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #855 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:39:49 »
What model Weller do you have? Can you adjust it to an actual temperature or do you have the Weller that has heat levels 1-5?

If you can set it to an actual temperature, I usually run my iron around 650 - 700 F.
It is the WLC100 so just 1-5 settings.  With the wider factory tip I was using about 3.75 but I can give 3-3.5 a try.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline gnubag

« Reply #856 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:41:38 »

It is the WLC100 so just 1-5 settings.  With the wider factory tip I was using about 3.75 but I can give 3-3.5 a try.

i use 3 for boards, 2 for cables and 2.5 for smd.
works out pretty well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #857 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:04:31 »
have an IR thermometer? do your thing with the iron and aim for a tip temperature of 350C. 63/37 rosin core solders pretty much all process around 350

the problem with low settings on the wlc100 is that you have poor thermal recovery. you process a joint at 350, the tip drops below process temperature, and it takes a while to heat up again. the problem with high settings is that it will happily get the tip much hotter than 350C, at which point you will problems with burning your joints and splatter from the solder (especially thin solders). when using an iron like this, you need to develop kind of a zen feeling for how hot your tip is and adjust the power to the tip accordingly so that you get 350C steady state. i was never any good at it, so it didn't work out for me. shrug. ymmv

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #858 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 19:34:42 »
So today I tried to desolder MX switches with LEDs from a board and out  ~50 desolderings, all of the solder points still contained some solder.  I used a
http://www.amazon.com/Aven-17537-Desoldering-Pump-Anti-Static/dp/B003E48EQ6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376440377&sr=8-4&keywords=solder+sucker
which I think doesn't have enough suction.  Any recommendations for something else?  How is the Soldapult compared to it?

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #859 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:04:56 »
So today I tried to desolder MX switches with LEDs from a board and out  ~50 desolderings, all of the solder points still contained some solder.  I used a
http://www.amazon.com/Aven-17537-Desoldering-Pump-Anti-Static/dp/B003E48EQ6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376440377&sr=8-4&keywords=solder+sucker
which I think doesn't have enough suction.  Any recommendations for something else?  How is the Soldapult compared to it?

Once you've sucked out most the solder, you can just heat up your soldering iron/pen and heat up the remaining solder inside and wiggle/disconnect it. Worked for me. That or you can use resin/solder wick to remove the remaining. Also the desoldering iron from Radio Shack works better than you think :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:07:30 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #860 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:06:56 »

i can't express thoughts about the one you linked but the OG edsyn Soldapullt works wonders

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #861 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:09:44 »
In those cases, I would prop up the switch gently with a flat head screwdriver on the plate side with one hand and heat up still attached pins with the soldering iron with the other.  Eventually the switch will pop out, and if you are gentle and careful, it's an easy and safe process.  It was annoying, but I had to do that for a lot of switches between 2 Filco PCBs (those damn through-hole copper inserts and solder going all the way to the other side).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #862 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:11:26 »
In those cases, I would prop up the switch gently with a flat head screwdriver on the plate side with one hand and heat up still attached pins with the soldering iron with the other.  Eventually the switch will pop out, and if you are gentle and careful, it's an easy and safe process.  It was annoying, but I had to do that for a lot of switches between 2 Filco PCBs (those damn through-hole copper inserts and solder going all the way to the other side).

Oh gawd.. don't even remind me :( Almost had a blunder because of that.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #863 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 01:18:30 »

Been there, done that, the TVS had all the switch pins bent on the PCB, I'm guessing to lock them in?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #864 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:43:00 »

They have LEDs attached, so it's not that simple :(

I'll try the RadioShack thing.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #865 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:47:42 »

They have LEDs attached, so it's not that simple :(

I'll try the RadioShack thing.

You could always just desolder the LED's first and then try heating up the pins with the soldering iron trick. It worked for me. I have never actually used a solder pump so I don't know how efficient it is with LED's but I used solder wick and flux to do it. The Radio Shack desoldering iron takes awhile to heat up but it gets the job done. If you need a demonstration, you should refer to WFD's youtube video because he pretty much did the same thing I did.

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #866 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:00:09 »
I didn't really have any trouble using my soldapullt even on the led'ed switches.  But that was a QFR and apparently those are cake.  I just added new solder to each joint before desoldering.  Sounds like a pain but the few times I tried without it, I had trouble melting the old solder.  ==
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #867 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:07:53 »
I didn't really have any trouble using my soldapullt even on the led'ed switches.  But that was a QFR and apparently those are cake.  I just added new solder to each joint before desoldering.  Sounds like a pain but the few times I tried without it, I had trouble melting the old solder.  ==

Sounds about right. The QFR really is cake compared to Filco. Filco, you definitely have to add some solder to help it melt and suck up.

I like your avatar Xenderwind :D I've had multiple Asuka avatars in the past on this forum :D

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #868 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:23:54 »

Sounds about right. The QFR really is cake compared to Filco. Filco, you definitely have to add some solder to help it melt and suck up.

I like your avatar Xenderwind :D I've had multiple Asuka avatars in the past on this forum :D

:D  I usually notice who is posting by their avatars so I wasn't sure if I wanted to change mine, but I saw a lot of other people doing it recently so I didn't feel too bad.

But back on topic.  Couldn't you try removing the leds first and then the switches?  I don't know how other boards are but my led's were just through the holes in the top of the switch housing.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #869 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:28:18 »
Xender I keep thinking you're Vesper now since your avatar is practically the same as his old one.

God damn it guys can you please pick an anime that isn't Evangelion, I think there's at least 10 Evangelion avatars on this forum already.. :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #870 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:38:11 »
Xender I keep thinking you're Vesper now since your avatar is practically the same as his old one.

God damn it guys can you please pick an anime that isn't Evangelion, I think there's at least 10 Evangelion avatars on this forum already.. :))

I hope you're happy.  I also thought about stealing your avatar for a couple hours.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #871 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:39:08 »

:D  I usually notice who is posting by their avatars so I wasn't sure if I wanted to change mine, but I saw a lot of other people doing it recently so I didn't feel too bad.

But back on topic.  Couldn't you try removing the leds first and then the switches?  I don't know how other boards are but my led's were just through the holes in the top of the switch housing.

Yeah, the LED's should just drop out if desoldered all the way through. Tis why I desolder LED's first every time.

You called? :-*

I hope you're happy.  I also thought about stealing your avatar for a couple hours.

:)) I don't mind you using any avatar I've used in the past :D More Asuka lovin'!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:44:23 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #873 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 18:26:55 »
I'm having a problem desoldering Cherry MX plate mount switches.  It seems that when they soldered the board (Poker 2), the solder went very high up on the pins.  I'm using the Radio Shack desoldering iron with bulb now and it can't seem to melt the solder high up on the pins.  Also, it takes quite a bit of force to push the desoldered switches out.  Is this normal?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #874 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 20:13:34 »
I'm having a problem desoldering Cherry MX plate mount switches.  It seems that when they soldered the board (Poker 2), the solder went very high up on the pins.  I'm using the Radio Shack desoldering iron with bulb now and it can't seem to melt the solder high up on the pins.  Also, it takes quite a bit of force to push the desoldered switches out.  Is this normal?

For the board and what you're using, yes. 

Desoldering a poker and that desoldering tool made me hate humanity.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #875 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 20:42:43 »

Are there any  better options before I go insane? 

:blank:

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #876 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 20:45:08 »

Are there any  better options before I go insane? 

:blank:

Theoretically solder wick or a soldapullt.  Definitely a hakko fx808 or similar vacuum desoldering tool.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #877 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 21:03:40 »
aoyue 474a++!!!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #878 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 21:14:40 »
Do they have more suction?  I'm not sure what would be the best choice out of these options.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #879 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 02:25:28 »
the aoyue and 808 will definitely be competing for suction. the aoyue is cool because no one's purchased one yet and in theory is has a ton more space for vacuum pump and is easier to handle, with the station-pencil design. also it's parts-compatible with the very very good hakko 474, which was literally the step above the 808 in the hakko line for like 10 years

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #880 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:39:28 »
the aoyue and 808 will definitely be competing for suction. the aoyue is cool because no one's purchased one yet and in theory is has a ton more space for vacuum pump and is easier to handle, with the station-pencil design. also it's parts-compatible with the very very good hakko 474, which was literally the step above the 808 in the hakko line for like 10 years

Also, the Aoyue wins in another aspect, being that the suction pump isn't held in your hand, but is removed to the station base. Sometimes it feels slightly awkward holding that beast that is the 808, especially for long desoldering sessions.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #881 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:45:38 »
Don't tempt me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #882 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:50:33 »
aoyue 474a++!!!

Do we have links to a great deal on this by any chance?  I didn't find anything posted previously in the thread so far, but maybe I missed it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #883 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:52:56 »
Don't tempt me!

Do it!

Also, if your new name is going to be MOZ, you have to change your avatar to something similar to this:

Michael Schur as character "Mose Schrute" from the American TV series, "The Office."

aoyue 474a++!!!

Do we have links to a great deal on this by any chance?  I didn't find anything posted previously in the thread so far, but maybe I missed it.

I found one on ebay for $130 plus shipping. Seems like a great deal to me. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121026164771
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:07:34 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #884 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 08:57:55 »
aoyue 474a++!!!

Looks like it's $99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-474A-Desoldering-Station/dp/B001UDBGSQ

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #885 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:01:52 »
aoyue 474a++!!!

Looks like it's $99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-474A-Desoldering-Station/dp/B001UDBGSQ

Oh hot damn. I might pick one of these up at some point down the road!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #886 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:03:14 »
aoyue 474a++!!!

yeah ......about that....shipping on that one is $92

this one

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-474A-Digital-Desoldering-Station/dp/B00ABJ4AEC

comes out to ~$148 shipped

but both are sold by third parties
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:05:03 by SpAmRaY »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #887 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:07:12 »
Don't tempt me!

Do it!

Also, if your new name is going to be MOZ, you have to change your avatar to something similar to this:

Show Image

Michael Schur as character "Mose Schrute" from the American TV series, "The Office."
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/michael_scott/The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #888 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:18:23 »

this one

Hmmm...I will keep that one in mind for when I finally purchase...thanks!

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #889 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:36:38 »

this one

Someone is selling an FX888D w/ Kester 44 and an FX808 in the classifieds, $115 and $140 respectively.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:39:15 »

this one

Someone is selling an FX888D w/ Kester 44 and an FX808 in the classifieds, $115 and $140 respectively.

I know that 808 so tempting.....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #891 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:46:41 »

this one

Do it! You won't regret. :)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #892 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:47:51 »

this one

well I know 'someday' I'm going to end up desoldering a backlit board and then it would come in handy!

I've got all this stuff I'm 'going' to do 'someday'.....right now it all sits in boxes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #893 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:52:05 »

this one

well I know 'someday' I'm going to end up desoldering a backlit board and then it would come in handy!

I've got all this stuff I'm 'going' to do 'someday'.....right now it all sits in boxes.

You and me both, brother. You and me both.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #894 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:56:04 »

this one

Whaaaaa, how did I miss that?  I will check it out!  Thanks.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #895 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:58:41 »

this one

You and me both, brother. You and me both.

If there's one thing being in the Boyscouts for a few years taught me, it was "Be Prepared" And when you're prepared, always have the best possible thing to use for said occasion :))
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #896 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:09:06 »
If there's one thing being in the Boyscouts for a few years taught me, it was "Be Prepared" And when you're prepared, always have the best possible thing to use for said occasion :))

QFT!

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #897 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:11:10 »

QFT!

What is this QFT?
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #898 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:11:48 »

QFT!

What is this QFT?

Quoted For Truth. :D

in memoriam

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #899 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:12:54 »

QFT!

What is this QFT?

Quoted For Truth. :D

I'm flattered haha. Thanks for clearing that up :)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites