Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1854326 times)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #900 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 13:16:03 »
Dudes! I just ordered a Aoyue 937+, so stoked.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #901 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 23:43:42 »
I'm having a problem desoldering Cherry MX plate mount switches.  It seems that when they soldered the board (Poker 2), the solder went very high up on the pins.  I'm using the Radio Shack desoldering iron with bulb now and it can't seem to melt the solder high up on the pins.  Also, it takes quite a bit of force to push the desoldered switches out.  Is this normal?

Is your iron hot enough to melt Pb-free solder?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #902 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 15:29:03 »
I'm having a problem desoldering Cherry MX plate mount switches.  It seems that when they soldered the board (Poker 2), the solder went very high up on the pins.  I'm using the Radio Shack desoldering iron with bulb now and it can't seem to melt the solder high up on the pins.  Also, it takes quite a bit of force to push the desoldered switches out.  Is this normal?

Yes.

Also, I just bought a Hakko 808 kit from eBay.  I hope it works :P

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #903 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 20:14:09 »

Yes.

Also, I just bought a Hakko 808 kit from eBay.  I hope it works :P

Good decision...
If it takes "quite a bit of force" to push the switches out that probably means some solder was left -> Risk of ripping a solder pad off -> B0rked PCB

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #904 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 15:33:12 »
I'm on the lookout for a cheap station, and i can't get my hands on the recommended ones. I did some digging and found some, but i don't know if they're any good. Do anyone know something about this and this station?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #905 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 15:39:14 »
I'm on the lookout for a cheap station, and i can't get my hands on the recommended ones. I did some digging and found some, but i don't know if they're any good. Do anyone know something about this and this station?

They look like WLC-100 clones, I'd recommend taking a look at this. It's the one I have, I haven't used it all that much but it's been brilliant so far, and I have a friend who does a bunch of small electronics soldering with his. Bit more pricey than the ones you linked, but worth it I'd say.

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #906 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 15:58:19 »

They look like WLC-100 clones, I'd recommend taking a look at this. It's the one I have, I haven't used it all that much but it's been brilliant so far, and I have a friend who does a bunch of small electronics soldering with his. Bit more pricey than the ones you linked, but worth it I'd say.

It's about 5 times more expensive than the other ones  :eek:!

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #907 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 01:17:39 »
what name of this tool, it seems for desoldering

That owned lowpoly
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline gnubag

« Reply #908 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 01:24:11 »
Show Image

That owned lowpoly

it is not for desoldering. it is for compressed air.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #909 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 02:11:12 »
Show Image

That owned lowpoly

That's what I use to clean my clothes after work...

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #910 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:11:34 »
Gonna get into soldering soon :) just need to save for a while to be able to get the stuff I need to solder properly :)
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #911 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:29:28 »
Gonna get into soldering soon :) just need to save for a while to be able to get the stuff I need to solder properly :)

You can do quality soldering with the cheap tools, it's just a bit harder and maybe time consuming to get it just right.  It might be beneficial to get some experience on the cheaper tools.

What I mean is, you've already got an iron, so you can "get into it" right now.  :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #912 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:30:41 »
And if you learn how to solder well with a cheap iron, imagine how much easier it will be when you get proper equipment! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #913 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 16:17:51 »
Practice on some old electronic stuff (everybody's got some) that you wont worry about ruining. Watch some how to videos, WFD has some good ones. Good tools help but developing you skills is most important, and that takes practice.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #914 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 18:51:48 »
Practice on some old electronic stuff (everybody's got some) that you wont worry about ruining. Watch some how to videos, WFD has some good ones. Good tools help but developing you skills is most important, and that takes practice.

I found the EEVBlog videos to be incredibly helpful for learning the basics of soldering, although his videos are aimed at aspiring engineers so just keep in mind that you can get away with cheaper soldering gear for basic soldering.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #915 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:05:12 »

:))

Offline gnubag

« Reply #916 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:27:42 »
Show Image

it works, trust me.

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #917 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 23:01:04 »

I found the EEVBlog videos to be incredibly helpful for learning the basics of soldering, although his videos are aimed at aspiring engineers so just keep in mind that you can get away with cheaper soldering gear for basic soldering.
I've watched his part 1 and 2 on soldering, its quite helpful :)
Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰_Ỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫̜͉̠̫͕̭̭̫̫̹̗̹͈̼̠̖͍͚̥͈̮̼͕̠̤̯̻̥̬̗̼̳̤̳̬̪̹͚̞̼̠͕̼̠̦͚̫͔̯̹͉͉̘͎͕̼̣̝͙̱̟̹̩̟̳̦̭͉̮̖̭̣̣̞̙̗̜̺̭̻̥͚͙̝̦̲̱͉͖͉̰̦͎̫̣̼͎͍̠̮͓̹̹͉̤̰̗̙͕͇͔̱͕̭͈̳̗̭͔̘̖̺̮̜̠͖̘͓̳͕̟̠̱̫̤͓͔̘̰̲͙͍͇̙͎̣̼̗̖͙̯͉̠̟͈͍͕̪͓̝̩̦̖̹̼̠̘̮͚̟͉̺̜͍͓̯̳̱̻͕̣̳͉̻̭̭̱͍̪̩̭̺͕̺̼̥̪͖̦̟͎̻̰ ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็_ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #918 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:14:40 »
And if you learn how to solder well with a cheap iron, imagine how much easier it will be when you get proper equipment! :D

I know a bunch of labour guys working at my uncle's electronics factory and they all use $3 cheap irons, and they use it like pros, I can only imagine what they would do with proper equipment, wield it like a sword.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #919 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:26:10 »

I know a bunch of labour guys working at my uncle's electronics factory and they all use $3 cheap irons, and they use it like pros, I can only imagine what they would do with proper equipment, wield it like a sword.

They'd break it. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #920 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:39:48 »

They'd break it. :)

Hahahahaha

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #921 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:13:41 »
Show Image

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
The Living Joke Thread it seems  ^-^
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #922 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 06:15:55 »
Show Image

That's what you use to pop the switches out of the plate. ;)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #923 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 18:12:40 »
Show Image

That's what you use to pop the switches out of the plate. ;)

Looks a lot easier than using this to pop them out:

^-^

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #924 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 21:58:07 »
 How do you apply flux to PCB pad? With syringe, brush or pen? Post pic of your equipment and your experience!

I had used this brush with risk of spill out of bottle flux, but I'm happy with BON pen now :)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #925 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 00:07:40 »
Got the Hakko 808 desoldering gun.  It made short work of everything.  Still had to press a bit to get the switches to pop out though, but nothing was too stubborn.  It did however lift a pad off the board :C , but at least it was a double sided board. 

Does anyone know how to fix the pad? 
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 August 2013, 03:00:58 by PointyFox »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #926 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 07:38:49 »
How do you apply flux to PCB pad? With syringe, brush or pen? Post pic of your equipment and your experience!

I had used this brush with risk of spill out of bottle flux, but I'm happy with BON pen now :)
Show Image

i use a small luer lock squeeze bottle with a 27ga needle. even then, if i just heat up the needle a little with the iron, the flux will flow to the point where i just kind of direct the flow and it covers everything i point the needle at. this is with MG Chem rosin flux. I buy big bulk bottles of the stuff and then fill my applicator bottle with the needle. this is also for thru-hole components. i think a fine brush or just plain old solder paste would be better if i were doing smt

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #927 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 09:44:49 »

I did the same thing on one of my Poker's, so I'm curious of how people have fixed this in the past as well.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #928 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 09:52:51 »
Got the Hakko 808 desoldering gun.  It made short work of everything.  Still had to press a bit to get the switches to pop out though, but nothing was too stubborn.  It did however lift a pad off the board :C , but at least it was a double sided board. 

If you lifted the pad, that means you either applied too much heat, pressure, left it on too long, or combinations of all 3. Pads/traces have some kind of glue or adhesive, every time you solder or desolder will weaken the adhesive. If it's already lifted and NOT double sided, then you'll have to bridge the connection with a circuit trace pen or with a small wire.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #929 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:29:00 »
and circuit trace pens are a HUGE PITA

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #930 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:42:38 »
i use a small luer lock squeeze bottle with a 27ga needle. even then, if i just heat up the needle a little with the iron, the flux will flow to the point where i just kind of direct the flow and it covers everything i point the needle at. this is with MG Chem rosin flux. I buy big bulk bottles of the stuff and then fill my applicator bottle with the needle. this is also for thru-hole components. i think a fine brush or just plain old solder paste would be better if i were doing smt

Squeeze bottle with needle sounds better to handle than syringe. I didn't see people using it around here yet. I'll try to find and get it later. Thanks.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #931 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 18:33:22 »
Below is a closeup shot of the pad that I pulled off of my Poker. The keys that are affected are the  - [ and '

Pulled A Pad by cpkey, on Flickr

Looking at the bottom of the PCB I see that there is a trace connecting them all together, but my best guess is that what I need to bridge is the pad between the "0" and the "-". At least that what it looks like if I look at an undamaged PCB.

What It Should Look Like by cpkey, on Flickr

Am I on the right track?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #932 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:18:48 »
Below is a closeup shot of the pad that I pulled off of my Poker. The keys that are affected are the  - [ and '

Show Image

Pulled A Pad by cpkey, on Flickr

Looking at the bottom of the PCB I see that there is a trace connecting them all together, but my best guess is that what I need to bridge is the pad between the "0" and the "-". At least that what it looks like if I look at an undamaged PCB.

Show Image

What It Should Look Like by cpkey, on Flickr

Am I on the right track?

yes.
if you still doubt yourself you can plug the keyboard in and test it with a paperclip or something as a bridge.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #933 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:23:14 »
yes.
if you still doubt yourself you can plug the keyboard in and test it with a paperclip or something as a bridge.

Thanks gnubag.

So I'm guessing I need to solder a wire to the respective pin on each switch. Or at least to the pin on the missing pad and then I could solder the wire to the pad on the undamaged switch?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #934 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 19:51:52 »
yes.

Thanks gnubag.

So I'm guessing I need to solder a wire to the respective pin on each switch. Or at least to the pin on the missing pad and then I could solder the wire to the pad on the undamaged switch?

Correct.

Did you pull up the trace? The Poker PCB is double sided, right? Shouldn't it be okay if the other side pad is still there?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #935 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 20:24:18 »
yah isn't that an unnecessary pad?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #936 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 20:42:50 »

You tell me.

Those three keys don't work and that's the only thing I've seen that could be causing it. Diodes check out, switches are good.  :-\

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #937 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 23:02:02 »
Haven't seen a Poker PCB up close, however if there are tracks joining on the side you lifted the pad, then it won't work.

As for those asking about flux, I use good old solder paste, applied using a toothbrush and once everything is done, I brush the pCB clean with some unleaded clean petrol.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #938 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 03:05:37 »
mashby,
From poker's matrix, - , 0, p, [, ; and ' should be connected each other and share same colum line. Check connectivity and find bad trace with multimeter.

I hope this helps you somewhat.

Code: [Select]
Poker Mod Resource
==================
2013/01/02

Key Matrix pins
---------------
These key events are observed with xev command on Xorg/Linux.
PCB says "Fn Keyboard Rev 1.2". Column pins are active low and Row pins are input with pull-up.

R\C|7       8       9       10      15      16      23      24      25      26      27      28      36
    ---+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3  |z       x       c       v       m       ,       .       (P6)    Fn      (9)     (8)     (?)     RCtrl
    4  |(*1)    (*2)    (*3)    b       n       (X)     App     (P7)    (1)     (PgUp)  /       (RAlt)  (4)
    5  |`       (F1)    (F2)    5       6       =       (F8)    (P4)    (6)     (PgDn)  -       (?)     LCtrl
    6  |1       2       3       4       7       8       9       (Left)  (X)     (X)     0       (*4)    (F5)
    43 |q       w       e       r       u       i       o       (Right) (X)     (5)     p       (SclLk) (Pause)
    44 |Tab     (CapLk) (F3)    t       y       ]       (F7)    LShift  (3)     LWin    [       (?)     (7)
    45 |a       s       d       f       j       k       l       RShift  Rwin    (4)     ;       (?)     (6)
    46 |(Esc)   (,)     (F4)    g       h       (F6)    (X)     (Down)  (2)     (0)     '       LAlt    (5)
    ( ): not real keys
    (X): no key event
    (?): unclear(media key?)
    *1: Muhenkan
    *2: Henkan-Mode
    *3: Hiragana-katakana
    *4: ScreenShot event?

LED pins and resistors
----------------------
Esc:            13(active low), R15(1.5KOhm)
CapsLock:       17(active low), R8(1.5KOhm)
Spc, Arrows:    14(active low), R13(1.5KOhm) for 4 LEDs

DIP switche pins
----------------
Turning switch on makes line pull down to ground.
SW1:            47(input with pull-up)
SW2:            30(input with pull-up)
SW3:            1(input with pull-up)
SW4:            2(input with pull-up)

EDIT: fixed at matrix(4,27)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 07:06:04 by hasu »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #939 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 06:55:25 »

You tell me.

Those three keys don't work and that's the only thing I've seen that could be causing it. Diodes check out, switches are good.  :-\
pic of back of board tehre?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #940 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 07:12:37 »

I just got home and took a pic, this is backside of my Poker PCB.
It seems there is bad connection between 0 and - key on mashby's Poker. It should be patched with short wire there.

EDIT: I was confused and missed context of conversation. Ignore me.
SW99 pad was clearly damaged and lost conection between SW99(-) and SW113(0). I missed completely.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 07:24:11 by hasu »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #941 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:01:21 »

I linked to it in my earlier post, but here's a photo of the bottom of the PCB

Another Closeup by cpkey, on Flickr

It seems there is bad connection between 0 and - key on mashby's Poker. It should be patched with short wire there.

EDIT: I was confused and missed context of conversation. Ignore me.
SW99 pad was clearly damaged and lost conection between SW99(-) and SW113(0). I missed completely.

Thanks hash, that was my guess, but it's good to hear it confirmed from others smarter than me. I'll play with it this weekend and see if a jumper does the trick.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #942 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:03:26 »
see that dark joint on the plus where you stripped the pad on the other side? that's a classic cold joint. it has microfractures in it that prevent it from conducting properly. reflow it.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #943 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 16:20:23 »
He striped the pad on the -, and the problem is the joint between - and 0 has been destroyed, as the pad on the front of the PCB was connecting the - and the 0.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #944 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:42:30 »
yah i see it now. that's a completely ridiculous design. but ok whatever. i would actually dig into the top layer to expose some copper and then use either a gigantic glob of solder or some conductive epoxy to bridge between the pin/pad that still exists and the trace that should just be attached to it with a via.

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #945 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:17:02 »
BTW, does anyone in the MN area have a hakko 888 I could borrow for a day or two so I could try it out before buying? :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #946 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:45:39 »
BTW, does anyone in the MN area have a hakko 888 I could borrow for a day or two so I could try it out before buying? :)

Rarar: I will be in mpls is a week and I will have a 888D.  PM me if you're interested in trying it.  :D

Offline rarar

• moist booty seepage
« Reply #947 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:49:13 »

Rarar: I will be in mpls is a week and I will have a 888D.  PM me if you're interested in trying it.  :D
OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #948 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 05:43:54 »
yah i see it now. that's a completely ridiculous design. but ok whatever. i would actually dig into the top layer to expose some copper and then use either a gigantic glob of solder or some conductive epoxy to bridge between the pin/pad that still exists and the trace that should just be attached to it with a via.

Yeah, just expose some copper on that trace (Be very careful) and use a large blob of solder, or better would be to use a bridge. I made a small mistake with my ErgoDox TRRS connector and then used an LED leg to create a quickfix. I'll post picture later.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #949 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:51:13 »
conductive epoxy = ye olde jb weld btw