Author Topic: DSI Mechanical Switch Keyboard $14.99 + $7.89 Shipping.  (Read 4581 times)

Offline aegrotatio

Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline aegrotatio

DSI Mechanical Switch Keyboard $14.99 + $7.89 Shipping.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:00:52 »
I have bought and shall report.  This obsession of mine has nearly run its course.  I'm probably going to need a replacement Adesso MK-135B and a Scorpius M10 before that happens.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:22:54 »
Fentek carries this one in beige, not ivory. I've been meaning to ask Ms Keyboard what switches it has. maybe she'll see my passive aggressive post here and post an answer.:redface:

aegrotatio: PM me when you are ready to move on your Scorpius M10 purchase. I hope to be finished with my M10 within the month.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:26:03 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:39:27 »
Neato torpedo!!

A really old thread someone found out they are non-clicky tactile clone Alps of some kind on the large-print DSI keyboard.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 23:50:05 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;198566
Neato torpedo!!

A really old thread someone found out they are non-clicky tactile clone Alps of some kind on the large-print DSI keyboard.

ya i was going to mention there is an old thread out there where the switch on this one was identified. I believe they are regular alps (ie, the same ones found on at101w, black alps bigfoots (or whatever we're calling them these days. Everyone has their own naming system for alps on this forum). Not a bad switch, and there are still some at101w fans around here (despite ripster's best efforts to eradicate them).

All I can say is i'm saddened to see the last major fukka board bite the dust (newegg's abs m1 was converted to blue cherries).  I dont know of any other fukka board still in production, they're probably gone for good. They were the best alps for my money.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 02:06:59 »
Wow that looks like it would be worth the buy for those keycaps alone if they were doubleshots. I think lasered would work for me too.

Offline J888www

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 03:10:45 »
OT
@ aegrotatio,
                    Does your SIIG MiniTouch 1903 Monterey have a back RJ11 connector (thought you may have mentioned, but cannot recall) ?
TY.

Quote from: wellington1869;198570
.......fukka........ They were the best alps for my money.
They're nice.
Of all the switches I have tried, my preference is still towards Blue Montereys, they seem more refined/delicate. Been looking for another NIB for ages post using the Chicony 5181, but seems to be elusive, hopefully I'll find a NIB SIIG Monterey very soon. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 July 2010, 03:25:37 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 July 2010, 12:21:48 »
Quote from: J888www;198609
OT
@ aegrotatio,
                    Does your SIIG MiniTouch 1903 Monterey have a back RJ11 connector (thought you may have mentioned, but cannot recall) ?
TY.

Yes, it does.  Someone told me it's for a numeric keypad which nobody has ever seen.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 21:05:09 »
Quote from: wellington1869;198570
ya i was going to mention there is an old thread out there where the switch on this one was identified. I believe they are regular alps (ie, the same ones found on at101w, black alps bigfoots (or whatever we're calling them these days. Everyone has their own naming system for alps on this forum). Not a bad switch, and there are still some at101w fans around here (despite ripster's best efforts to eradicate them).

I still cannot tell if AT101W is the tactile clicky "clicks on the way down" or thocks like the ABS M1 does where it doesn't click on the way down.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 21:14:05 »
Those DSI big font key caps are printed, not even lasered. They probably won't last long without wearing off. The switches are yellow linear simplified type IIs. Linear is worse than a rubber dome IMHO.

Here's a nice clicky board at a reasonable price. Looks like blue Monterey switches. This seller seems to have other white Alps boards as well. The exception is the Apple Extended board with the white alps. They're dampened with rubber bumpers and non-clicky.

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 July 2010, 23:05:46 »
Thanks Bitflipper, that auction is the board I got a couple of days ago.  What luck, I really like the blue Monterey switches, but somewhere I got the idea there are Alps switches that click on the way down like these Montereys do.  I'm awaiting shipment of a refurbed AT101W that I got cheap on a package deal.  I will most likely snag the DSI ASK-6600 (SIIG Mechanical OEM) once my current obsession with clicky keyboards has subsided.

Thanks for the tip!!