Author Topic: CRT's are better than LCD's.  (Read 119989 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

CRT's are better than LCD's.
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 20:54:12 »
Quote from: typo;215793
haha. not for that. i meant the picture quality is so good it makes me drool. not the actual image being displayed. that is g rated. seriously.

now i have a serious question please. my cats mean a lot to me. they take turns snuggling ontop of crt's for hours. cam this actually impact their health? i know more radiation is out the bac and a cat is very small. i never thought of this. i don't lnow if it is enough to harm them. either short term or long term. would you keep them off of there?
please don't guess at this question hopefully someone actually knows. all i'd have to do is put some double sided tape on it and they would not go there anymore of course. if it is safe for them then so be it. cats do like warm spots.

again, sorry about this darn das pooping out on me.

My russian blue went on top of my CRT all the time; I don't think it's harmful to them. It's fascinating how the cats automatically like going there. I guess they see:
#1 their beloved owner
#2 a nice high flat surface to sleep
#3 it's warm!

Although... and I'm not sure if your cats do this, once when I was playing a DOS game (kingdom at war), my cat looked down at the CRT screen and started pawing at the orange cursor: I guess cause it was bigger in 320x240.

You're probably getting more radiation than the cats, that's for sure. And if anything, the only thing that will need medical help is the CRT if cat hair and/or overheating affects it. But I don't think that really matters if it's made properly.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 21:42:54 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;213630

And then, by some miracle, the same settings that worked on the P1110 now worked on the GDM-5410. Finally got my 1600x1200 at 95 Hz back!

)

You can also uncheck the 'show modes this monitor doesn't support' box, and just manually find the desired settings.  I used to use 1600x1200 at 85Hz on my 5410.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline typo

« Reply #202 on: Sun, 22 August 2010, 23:18:45 »
one of them goes nuts while i move the pointer around. this is one one of the big reasons i am not investing in a large expensive ips panel. they will scratch the screen and knock the whole thing on the floor. i am guessing a cat with nails would have no problem scratching the cr@p out of one with the matt finish. since i would not want the glossy glass, i asume that is plastic. so i just add that to the reasons i don't really want one. well, thats kind the biggest reason. good to know it won't hurt them. i really doubt it is that much radiation. i could be wrong though. i bet a x-ray tech at the hospital gets much more.

my settings have two choices 43 interlaced obviously works. any other setting is exactly the same and i am guessing it is around 85hz on all of them. i know this because if i do 1600x1200 at 180hz the monitor does not go into protection. it just accepts it. i will try reinstalling the driver.

i was wondering something else. you know how sony had cpd and gdm,bvm with the former being the cheap monitors. it was also easy to tell if an ibm,sun whatever was a gdm. with diamondtron nf is there a pro chassis and how do you tell? i actually find a p910 is better than a f400. man, if they had a pro chassis....

Offline Lanx

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 00:13:08 »
maxpc monitor reviews usually done by the displaymate ppl, so can be assured it's actually a good review.

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 03:32:54 »
Just discarted a 15'' Philips CRT.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 05:26:12 »
Supposedly Dell is releasing a new 30 model - the U3011. Given that their current one is one of the better 30" monitors, it will be interesting to see what they come up with as its successor.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 06:33:01 »
Quote from: ripster;215845
New HP 30 inch panel gets a Maximum  PC kickass award.

*ZR30w pic truncated*

Toss that CRT!

Maybe if you give me $1,300 or the monitor itself free of charge. Then I'll consider it.

30" 2560x1600 S-IPS is pretty enticing, but how many of us can afford $1,300 or more for a new display? I sure can't.

Offline typo

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 17:11:37 »
how much better is a fw900 than a diamondtron nf? i have access to one new in the box for "if you can get it out of here it's yours"! well thats exactly the problem. is it worth the hassle? don't answer this question if you are anti-crt :)

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 19:45:07 »
I think the main appeal of the FW900/FD Trinitron G1W is that it's widescreen. I've never seen a widescreen Diamondtron NF.

That said, I'm feeling quite envious right about now. I've never found an FW900 locally, much less for just the cost of transportation. My P1110 cost me $6 and my GDM-5410 $10, yet some get their FW900s for free...and if I don't find one locally, the shipping on those things is going to hurt the wallet quite a lot (let alone my back when they arrive)!

Offline typo

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 20:16:11 »
well i really want it. i am feeling sort of sad because i need help moving it and the few people i would ask are either busy or not up for it. i am thinking it might be worth paying a mover. i just hope i can schedual them before someone else gets wind of this. the funny thing is the place that has it thinks no one would ever want it now lol.

now watch, i'll manage getting it here and my desk will collapse.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 20:20:59 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;215949
I think the main appeal of the FW900/FD Trinitron G1W is that it's widescreen. I've never seen a widescreen Diamondtron NF.

That said, I'm feeling quite envious right about now. I've never found an FW900 locally, much less for just the cost of transportation. My P1110 cost me $6 and my GDM-5410 $10, yet some get their FW900s for free...and if I don't find one locally, the shipping on those things is going to hurt the wallet quite a lot (let alone my back when they arrive)!

So it costs your health & money...

I only order LCDs -- even those come to around 20 lbs. But it's tricky business because you don't know how good the matrix is (regardless if it's used as LCDs are a lot more prone to manufacturing flaws: it's technically better to get used: but then there's still the issue of dead pixels or pressure marks). Decisions decisions...

A solution would be a monitor with a CRT's picture, and the form factor of an LCD (but maybe a thin piece of glass -- I get so mad when people poke my hapless IBM LCD: poking a CRT doesn't matter).

Offline typo

« Reply #211 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 09:16:31 »
i am thinking maybe i should pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity. the thing is i really only like 4:3, wide screen is not an attraction to me. which is the main attraction of the fw900 as pfg said. the problem is that to many sonys had issues out of the box. i had a 400ps and f500 that were doa. the 400ps was doa 3 times! i am not bashing sony just stating facts. it might be time to throw in the towel and get a lcd i am not sure. meanwhile this diamondtron is fine for me. i don't need to push the envelope and ask for trouble. the trouble would come in the form of me ending up in the hospital! i just called a mover i have used several times and they don't want to mess with a one item job. we are talking about carrying this thing several hundred feet where it is located then through my house and up the stairs. that might very well be why it is still new in box! they couldn't even manage to uncrate it possibly lol.

anyhow the f400 actually has much better specs than the fw900 and it is the 4:3 i prefer. only 19" but may have close to the same real estae as the fw900 being 4:3.  i'd just assume keep the diamondpro. i like the diamondtron better even though most people like the sony better. i wonder about samsungs flat shadowmask. i always thought ag was a big improvement on shadowmask but apparently samsung had something there. i might as well quit while i am ahead. collecting keyboards is not akin to collecting crt's. namely in respect for ones back!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #212 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 12:25:37 »
Quote from: typo;216021
i am thinking maybe i should pass up this once in a lifetime opportunity. the thing is i really only like 4:3, wide screen is not an attraction to me. which is the main attraction of the fw900 as pfg said. the problem is that to many sonys had issues out of the box. i had a 400ps and f500 that were doa. the 400ps was doa 3 times! i am not bashing sony just stating facts. it might be time to throw in the towel and get a lcd i am not sure. meanwhile this diamondtron is fine for me. i don't need to push the envelope and ask for trouble. the trouble would come in the form of me ending up in the hospital! i just called a mover i have used several times and they don't want to mess with a one item job. we are talking about carrying this thing several hundred feet where it is located then through my house and up the stairs. that might very well be why it is still new in box! they couldn't even manage to uncrate it possibly lol.

anyhow the f400 actually has much better specs than the fw900 and it is the 4:3 i prefer. only 19" but may have close to the same real estae as the fw900 being 4:3.  i'd just assume keep the diamondpro. i like the diamondtron better even though most people like the sony better. i wonder about samsungs flat shadowmask. i always thought ag was a big improvement on shadowmask but apparently samsung had something there. i might as well quit while i am ahead. collecting keyboards is not akin to collecting crt's. namely in respect for ones back!

I think any CRT bigger than 17" is a little too much. A 19" dell one really strained my arms because it's so awkward to hold, rather than the weight (and no I didn't take it).

There *are* fullscreen LCDs, in fact, all of mine are.
Here's a 20" IBM one, just to give you an idea (there's a whole bunch of other ones floating around ebay, that one says it has blemishes, two tiny dots near the middle lower left). I think they're good. Not IPS, but it's fullscreen, 20", matte, and resolution is 1600x1200.
Plus they're fairly cheaper; better than what you can get in a store for double the amount anyways.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 August 2010, 12:28:35 by EverythingIBM »

Offline typo

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 12:46:39 »
i have carried a 21" crt which was hard but i managed. the fw900's box is a joke. i might as well lift a piano. if i can't find a helper for a reasonable fee i am not going to risk it.
it has been sitting there since 2003 so i probably have time to figure this out.

there is a 20" 4:3 s-ips but the price is stupid since a 23" 16:10 ips is a lot less money with comparable specs. what upsets me is the displays with huge color gamut are all 26"+ 16:9-10 i don't have room for that where i want to put it.

for now there really is nothing wrong with the diamondpro 900u. it is a very nice crt. plus it was free. i had to repair it but that is not a problem for me. i sort of think a crt over 20" is too big and a lcd/plasma over 23" is too big. at least for me.
the thing is if you get a 30" lcd you cannot sit 10" from it and expect good results.
i prefer to sit less than a foot away from my computer display. right now i don't know if the radiation is helping me but i am bald anyways.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #214 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 12:57:27 »
Sitting that close to your computer won't help your eyes either.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 24 August 2010, 13:11:54 »
Quote from: typo;216135
i have carried a 21" crt which was hard but i managed. the fw900's box is a joke. i might as well lift a piano. if i can't find a helper for a reasonable fee i am not going to risk it.
it has been sitting there since 2003 so i probably have time to figure this out.

there is a 20" 4:3 s-ips but the price is stupid since a 23" 16:10 ips is a lot less money with comparable specs. what upsets me is the displays with huge color gamut are all 26"+ 16:9-10 i don't have room for that where i want to put it.

for now there really is nothing wrong with the diamondpro 900u. it is a very nice crt. plus it was free. i had to repair it but that is not a problem for me. i sort of think a crt over 20" is too big and a lcd/plasma over 23" is too big. at least for me.
the thing is if you get a 30" lcd you cannot sit 10" from it and expect good results.
i prefer to sit less than a foot away from my computer display. right now i don't know if the radiation is helping me but i am bald anyways.

I don't think CRT radiation really provokes or revokes anything.

Quote from: microsoft windows;216147
Sitting that close to your computer won't help your eyes either.

I probably relaxed my eye muscles too much by sitting too close. I think I'm going to move my monitors back a little bit every now and then. Increasing the brightness and contrast helps too.

Offline typo

« Reply #216 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 01:40:21 »
well i was able to see the fw900 in action. then i saw a lacie electron blue iv sitting there.
ah i just like the mitsu tube better and i did not break my back. i would have liked the fw900 for bragging rights but in the end i am satisfied. i read many people thought lacies $5,000 lcd cooked this crt. well this was free so i am not exactly feeling sorry.  i am almost positive that a sub $1,000usd lcd cannot compete with this. it looks very nice to me. i like the rgb adjustment which the other mitsu based monitors lack. even though i should not have to use that feature.

i personally don't know why people find the fw900 to be the best crt picture. it don't think it is. yes, it's big and widescreen but all the features on that tube end in .23-.27 dot pitch. the north american mitsu is .24 throughout. it just looks sharper and has more "pop" to me. not the sony pop issue mind you :)

one issue. the top left corner seems to be doing the shimmy. i have no magnets nearby. i have a very good understanding of electronics and don't see anyway to fix that. on the other hand it is very possibly me and not the monitor. i have poor eyesite,my glasses don't jive with bright screens and i am sitting way too close.

i had to crank the corner purity on that corner to even get it decent. this is usually a magnetisim issue. i really don't want to degause it 50 times. great way to burn out the coil before i even get started. this monitor was in use but i can tell it has not seen many hours.

if it is the monitor perhaps, does anyone here know what the issue might be and a fix?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 01:49:47 »
Quote from: typo;216338
well i was able to see the fw900 in action. then i saw a lacie electron blue iv sitting there.
ah i just like the mitsu tube better and i did not break my back. i would have liked the fw900 for bragging rights but in the end i am satisfied. i read many people thought lacies $5,000 lcd cooked this crt. well this was free so i am not exactly feeling sorry.  i am almost positive that a sub $1,000usd lcd cannot compete with this. it looks very nice to me. i like the rgb adjustment which the other mitsu based monitors lack. even though i should not have to use that feature.

i personally don't know why people find the fw900 to be the best crt picture. it don't think it is. yes, it's big and widescreen but all the features on that tube end in .23-.27 dot pitch. the north american mitsu is .24 throughout. it just looks sharper and has more "pop" to me. not the sony pop issue mind you :)

one issue. the top left corner seems to be doing the shimmy. i have no magnets nearby. i have a very good understanding of electronics and don't see anyway to fix that. on the other hand it is very possibly me and not the monitor. i have poor eyesite,my glasses don't jive with bright screens and i am sitting way too close.

i had to crank the corner purity on that corner to even get it decent. this is usually a magnetisim issue. i really don't want to degause it 50 times. great way to burn out the coil before i even get started. this monitor was in use but i can tell it has not seen many hours.

if it is the monitor perhaps, does anyone here know what the issue might be and a fix?

Well, my best explanation for praise over the fw900 is just word of mouth & marketing. Just because the majority are in a skewed mindset and affirm [this] product is the best definitely doesn't.

If it's possible, you shouldn't use glasses at computer monitors (unless hyperopia I guess or EXTREME myopia). Whenever I wear these new glasses I got for driver's stuff (which are way too strong for me), I go cross eyed, everything shrinks, and I can't see a damn thing!
Also it's recommended to have "anti glare" with glasses being used for computer related tasks.

Perhaps you have moire fixing on, that can cause shimmering. Graphics cards can, VGA cords might be able to, different Hz can, etc etc etc.

Your eyes wouldn't be causing shimmering in a defined corner I'm sure. Especially since your previous monitor didn't.

Offline typo

« Reply #218 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 02:02:11 »
i just fixed it. it was my poor eyesite. well sort of. i had the corner purity on the top left cranked as i mentioned. that was not the correct setting. i lowered it a lot and the problem is fixed. it is the right color to boot. it is also 2 am and i have been up since 5 am the previous day. not the best conditions to adjust a moniotr.

yes, the problem with my glasses and monitors is glare and reflections. i suppose i could get the proper ones made for that use.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 04:23:19 »
http://www.gunnars.com/index1.php

i tried a pair a few months ago, gave me extreme motion sickness, even toughed it out for 3 hours b4 giving up and not being able to adjust to it, pee color aside(it's tinted yellow). Other ppl have had rave reviews.

Offline typo

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 08:13:53 »
if i understand that correctly those are non-perscription glasses? i am not sure that is a good idea. no wonder you got a headache. ever, try on someone elses perscription when your eyes were 20-20 non corrected? i guess they will sell anything to make a buck. it's like pushing bawls drink for gaming. not the best advice.

the weird thing is the manual for this crt says "capable of displaying unlimited colors(analog)" i read average crt's were 72% ntsc color gamut and certain pro ones were up to 98%. thats hardly unlimited. it doesn't even matter though it looks real nice. this thing is in fine condition. i'd be surprised if this has 100 hours on it. i think there might be an hour meter in the service menu but i don't know how to access it on this one. the corner issue was cured by not going gonzo with the landing adjustment. i guess that corner has to be a tad bit darker to function properly.

i was looking at some $400 19" 4:3 s-ips lcd's. i am assuming this crt is better than those?
well, it looks better to me. it is not better than the 5 grand lacie lcd but i have not the room nor the money for that.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 08:50:40 »
That CRT oughta be better.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline typo

« Reply #222 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 09:24:05 »
thanks. that makes me happy. since honestly even if i mustered up the 5 grand for a lcd that would easily beat it i have nowhere i can put a large lcd. all the really high quality lcd's are over 30" 16:10 it seems.

i am very pleased with the way this looks after i calibrated it. it makes me feel good that something that was going to clog a landfill is being put to good use.

of course i have another question, sorry. are you supposed to clearly see the "lines" on the main page of this site if your brightness and contrast are set right? that seems too bright for me if you are supposed to. the good news is this monitor can do it at 25%./50% so i am positive this was hardly used.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 09:27:39 »
if anybody is looking for a CRT here is a good store that has good shipping options and carry good tubes like Trinitron and Diamondtron.

http://www.accurateit.com/

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 10:06:34 »
Quote from: typo;216021

I haven't really been much of a fan of wide-screen either. I like having one window open at a time, and when you're using a computer like that, 3:4 is the best choice.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 11:55:28 »
I have a 4:3 20" LCD, and even 24" widescreen LCDs look smaller than my one because of all the lost vertical space.

Too bad that vertical space is the one you really need...

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:16:52 »
Quote from: microsoft windows
I haven't really been much of a fan of wide-screen either. I like having one window open at a time, and when you're using a computer like that, 3:4 is the best choice.

You must be the king of uni-tasking :D
No wonder you spend so much time posting!

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:34:55 »
Quote from: ripster;216417
I always hated that faint damper line in the Sony Trinitrons.

Still not sure why this post title is CRTs are better than LCD's when they clearly aren't.  Should of been a poll.  I like well constructed polls.

I already made a poll Ripmon:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=10782

LCD widescreen won (LCD fullscreen and CRT fullscreen were basically on par). Only one person voted for CRT widescreen.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:42:22 »
They're not?

I need some time to myself while I figure this all out.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:45:46 »
What am I, err... you talking about?

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:47:43 »
Quote from: ripster;216496
Sounds about right.

I've always assumed all the Vintage Computing guys were one person talking to himself.

Wow, so you mean everyone who likes vintage computers is actually one entity?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:51:44 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;216481
You must be the king of uni-tasking :D
No wonder you spend so much time posting!

I wouldn't really say I "uni-task". I've got multiple programs running at once, but I only like to look at one at a time.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 12:59:36 »
Quote from: ripster;216509
MW's sig reminds me.  Whatever happened to Gr1m?  That dude was Grim.

He liked Black Cherries...that says it all. He probably moved to Germany :D

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #233 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 13:00:51 »
He got bored after I started ignoring him. Insulting people isn't nearly as fun when it can't affect them.

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 20:28:03 »
Quote from: ripster;216417
I always hated that faint damper line in the Sony Trinitrons.

Still not sure why this post title is CRTs are better than LCD's when they clearly aren't.  Should of been a poll.  I like well constructed polls.

The damper wires can be irksome, but even a perfectionistic videophile bastard like myself generally won't notice them unless it's a bright background-and even then, they're pretty thin and are generally not that intrusive. Even then, I'll still admit it's a flaw, but I'll take an aperture grille even with that quirk over a shadow mask and its coarser dot pitch (and, yes, I know, dot pitch on shadow masks and grille pitch on aperture grilles are different measures)...or possibly even the "screen door effect" of an LCD if said LCD's DPI/PPI/whatever is too low.

As for the title, I don't necessarily agree with it full stop, but I felt that making a second thread would be redundant.

Quote from: EverythingIBM;216493
I already made a poll Ripmon:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=10782

LCD widescreen won (LCD fullscreen and CRT fullscreen were basically on par). Only one person voted for CRT widescreen.

It doesn't help that widescreen CRTs are either FD Trinitron G1W-based monitors or HDTVs, and that by the time widescreen and HDTV were becoming the norm, CRTs were being phased out for lack of flat-panel sex appeal.

I'd like a widescreen CRT (direct-view aperture grille, that is, not the damn rear-projection Hitachi 43FWX20B in the living room that loses its convergence all the time, has some egregious overscan, and is susceptible to burn-in), but I'm not really going to lose sleep over it when I can run any widescreen resolution letterboxed on a perfectly good 4:3 display.

Oh, and yet again, other display technologies get no love. No plasma, no DLP (be it single-chip + color wheel + lamp, tri-chip + lamp, or laser, rear-projection or front-projection), no LCoS (SXRD or D-ILA), no AMOLED...admitted, most of those are only used in displays marketed as HDTVs, and others like LCoS are lost to legal issues, but I've thought that some of them would make some nice PC monitors if only they would make them as such.

Offline typo

« Reply #235 on: Wed, 25 August 2010, 22:25:21 »
i had to type on a rubber dome today. that sucked.

anyhow, there is a s-ips lg l2000cp-bf for 50 bucks(used). there is still nothing about this thing anywhere. i guess i will have to just go see what the picture looks like. i would like a lcd but it seems you have to spend 5 grand to beat the free crt's. honestly i feel kind of stupid running an i7 with a crt. if one thing holds true it is that i am a miser. i pickup where other people left off and i have never minded.

meanwhile, this latest crt looks wonderful to me. i have software brightness pretty high and i am using the blank screensaver with no eco. so, i figure i will be looking for something new in a couple of months lol.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 01:55:43 »
Quote from: typo;216747
i had to type on a rubber dome today. that sucked.

anyhow, there is a s-ips lg l2000cp-bf for 50 bucks(used). there is still nothing about this thing anywhere. i guess i will have to just go see what the picture looks like. i would like a lcd but it seems you have to spend 5 grand to beat the free crt's. honestly i feel kind of stupid running an i7 with a crt. if one thing holds true it is that i am a miser. i pickup where other people left off and i have never minded.

meanwhile, this latest crt looks wonderful to me. i have software brightness pretty high and i am using the blank screensaver with no eco. so, i figure i will be looking for something new in a couple of months lol.

"Yeah I gots the core i7 dood, and one of them CRTs, you know, the big bulky monitors with the huge back and glass screen"

I suppose "CRT" and "core i7" do seem mismatched. But I still like small CRTs around, it saves me the money from buying a monitor for each of my computers. And I have many... three PC 300s now.

Offline Flybye

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 07:41:23 »
My vote is with CRTs. :D

I currently have an HP A7217A (aka Sony GDM-FW900) and this beast is simply beautiful.

Offline typo

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 19:46:20 »
well i am sorry to say i take this all back. i now have the lacie 730 lcd. i't was pretty much given away. it was dead. of course i repaired it and it is fine. i am amazed myself that this was dumped. i guess a large photo lab has enough money that they wouldn't be bothered with it.

i have to say the picture is at least as good as any crt if not a lot better. there is a huge problem though. only firefix and photoshop can properly use the monitor. windows and ie look aweful on it. it has very limited use but it is intended to. i am not complaining though.
in some ways i still prefer crt's. i think it is the backlighting that bothers me on any lcd.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 19:50:45 »
typo: Sounds like it needs to be calibrated.

Offline typo

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 20:46:31 »
i have the calibration puck. i am now reading how to use it. i don't really do this so i will have to figure it out. apparently no version of windows supports the proper usage of icc to make this monitor work right with the os or ie. just because you can load a icc in the monitor properties apparently does not mean that this will work properly. i am guessing i can calibrate it to compensate or just adjust it to my liking. i thought the fw900 had a lot of adjustments, this thing is mind boggling.

i have a question: should i be using the dvi-d,dvi-i,or vga-dsub?
thanks

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 20:56:39 »
DVI-I is both a digital and an analog signal on the same connector.

DVI-D is DVI-I missing the analog pins.

VGA is just analog.

Don't use analog with an LCD if you can avoid it.

So, DVI-I or DVI-D.

Also, it needs to be dual-link DVI for the full resolution.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 22:15:32 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;217097
Don't use analog with an LCD if you can avoid it.

May I inquire as to why?
I know a lot of people who just use VGA for everything.
I'm going to start using DVI for some of my monitors once I get some cables.

Quote from: typo;217079
in some ways i still prefer crt's. i think it is the backlighting that bothers me on any lcd.

Oh yeah! LCDs use fluorescent backlights which I find very strong, on my eyes anyways.

In terms of sharpness, LCDs probably win -- but the drawback is they're only sharp in their native resolution. Run that Lacie LCD in a non-native resolution and you'll be puking in a bucket.

Offline typo

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 26 August 2010, 23:06:07 »
this one uses rgb led's not ccfl. i still find it honestly painful! maybe i have to get used to it. it sucks on a white background due to the "fuzzy" coating on the screen. it is much sharper and i hate to say this, has better black level than any crt i have.

i calibrated it and it looks as it should. i don't know what they were talking about that it looked bad in windows apps. well, it did untill i calibrated it to srgb. this is capable of way more than srgb but thats all i need.

i bet you guys there is a crt back on this table in two days. unless somehow i get used to this. this is probably the best graphics lcd made right now and i don't care for it all that much so far.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 05:10:34 »
typo: The fuzziness isn't because of the backlighting, it's because of a quirk of IPS panels that have excessively thick coatings. The highest quality IPS panels are actually semi-matte to avoid that.

Offline typo

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 27 August 2010, 22:35:00 »
it is pva. i am trying to work a deal on an eizo cg221. it will not be one of my usual "got it for a song". i understand that currently that monitor might be the last word in picture and text quality. it is not for gaming but i don't. if i can swing it financially it does have a 30 day return policy. the lacie specs better but i am told the eizo is the real deal. i will sell the lacie for much more than i got it for to offset some of the cost of the eizo. i'll have to sell some other things as well, probably my blood.

Offline typo

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 21:55:56 »
i got the eizo. i had to "dumb it down" for regular computer usage as this thing lives in photoshop. out of the box i was like, uh oh big mistake just made here. then i calibrated it to srgb which is a joke for this display. well, good by crt's! thats all i can say.

Offline Infinite north

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 22:21:02 »
Quote from: ripster;218089

30 lbs.  I could lift it with my penis.

Wow no attached image, I am amazed.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 29 August 2010, 22:25:46 »
you can get a refurb LP3065 from HP's business outlet for 950$

Offline typo

« Reply #249 on: Mon, 30 August 2010, 00:54:23 »
that is probably a good moniotr for most people. on the other hand it can display 16.7 million colors at a time out of 1.07 billion. the cg221 can display 1,07 billion colors at a time out of a pallet of 68.5 billion! of course i did not need this by any stretch, but in my usual fashion i got one heck of a deal.  the joke is i had to actually "cripple" it to display colors properly on the internet. the thing has to warm up and perform a calibration check every time it is turned on. to make sure the calibration has not changed at all. i am not complaining though :)