Author Topic: Space Saver Model M Mod  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Daniel Beaver

Space Saver Model M Mod
« on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 11:27:17 »
I posted these pictures in the AT101 thread, but this subject really deserves it's own thread.

It is somewhat straightforward to make your own Space Saver Model M, provided you have the gumption to cut up your board. Since the membrane can be folded over, all you need to cut is the plastic stem board, the metal backplate, and the case itself.

I used a dremel to cut the stems and backplate. You can make this cut without even disassembling these pieces, if you're careful. I wouldn't recommend that if you're trying to do a nice job, though - go through the trouble to do a proper bolt mod if you are putting the time into this. This particular cut does not need to be particularly straight. Put some packing tape over one side of the contact matrix to prevent ghost clicks on the numpad.

The cut on the case itself should be as straight as possible, preferably using something like a bandsaw. I would suggest cutting the case midway between the home cluster and the numberpad, and again midway between the number pad and the side depression. This will give you a nice working surface and dimensional equivalence between the right and left side. The bottom half of the case is a trickier problem, since this line of cut goes directly though the feet. I personally don't use feet on Model Ms, and so I just cut out the entire foot assembly. Keeping the feet is a problematic proposition, since the assembly they sit in juts into the case and interferes with the board. On my next try at this mod, I will see what I can do to preserve them.

Ta-da. Although it is missing a slotted support on the right side, the board seems quite solid to type on. I would suggest trying to keep the right side screwport intact; without it, typing on the arrow keys and home cluster feels "loose". I did a quicky cosmetic job, since this was really more of a prototype board. I used this board for a few days, and had not functional problems with it. If you want a mini, but can't afford it, give this a try.

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 October 2010, 11:32:11 by Daniel Beaver »

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline crowstar

Space Saver Model M Mod
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2011, 12:52:10 »
Sorry to bump this, but have you run into any problems from this? I'm really tempted to try this out.

Offline Daniel Beaver

Space Saver Model M Mod
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 14:41:04 »
Quote from: crowstar
have you run into any problems from this?

I gave it to a friend back in December when I moved. As far as I know it is still in use; I would have heard about it of something stopped working. Model Ms are insanely over-built, so cutting up the case makes it shrug and go "lol wut".

My only issue with it is the "loose" feeling in the home cluster, which I mentioned in the body of the OP. It does not affect the functionality of the board, but it is annoying given that we use mechanical keyboards primarily because of the crisp feel of the keys. I think this can be solved by making different cuts on the front and rear panels so as to preserve the right side supports.

It is an easy modification, so give it a whirl. You can screw up two or three of them before it becomes more expensive than a real spacesaver :lol:

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline crowstar

Space Saver Model M Mod
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 10:00:21 »
Two things.

1) When you say home cluster, do you mean the home row? or the print screen section.

2) How did you glue the far right 'end' to the main board?

Offline javifast

Space Saver Model M Mod
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 03:35:52 »
Perhaps this mod would be better on a Unicomp spacesaver. We'll have a more compact keyboard....
Too many keyboards....