Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309161 times)

Offline PadawanGeek

Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4450 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 21:38:51 »
Got these in the mail yesterday, pretty sweet headphones.
Show Image

I could use an amp for sure though so I guess I'll have to look for something lol  :rolleyes: :p
Nice! The new version of the T50RP, I have the older version and had it modded with the Mayflower mod kit plus Comfort band (actually from Sennheiser though Mayflower sells it), trouble is, I forgot to bookmark the page of HF which I'd followed for the mod.....now, I dunno what mod I'd done. :'(  One thing's a must though, if the earpads on the V3 is anything like those on the previous model, then a change in earpads is in order. I have replaced the stock earpads of my T50RP with an old pair of Alpha pads (from my MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, I had gotten a brand new pair of Alpha pads for it) and it was a game changer, I noticed an immediate improvement in mids and treble, bass sounded about the same....perhaps more controlled, little wonder MrSpeakers made a wad of cash from the T50RP mods and driver, they're quite responsive to mods. Here's my baby with the Alpha pads...

Edit - Just got a new toy, not headphone related (but it's got decent sound at least).....gonna set it up over the weekend, kinda tired now....

There's someone here in my neck of the woods who's selling a pair of T20RP + Shure earpads for ~60USD, I'm thinking of snagging it just for the heck of it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 11:16:15 by PadawanGeek »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #4451 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 11:09:45 »
Cool Mods! I am definately going to get some new earpads for the first thing I do, I was looking through a list of T50 mods oh lord.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4452 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 11:53:57 »
Cool Mods! I am definately going to get some new earpads for the first thing I do, I was looking through a list of T50 mods oh lord.
Exactamundo!  :)) Don't make the same mistake I did by not bookmarking the page on which you wanna copy the mod. I say this again, the earpads made a big difference to me, so be sure to look for a good alternative to replace that stock ones.....and yeah, have fun! :thumb:

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4453 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 09:34:14 »
Hi Headphone nerds. How am I doing so far?

Full album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/qqEmZ

I am dying to hear some feedback and/or tips.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline silaz

« Reply #4454 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 18:59:47 »
Hey bmilcs looks like you did a great job on the Bottlehead Crack. Just curious - what headphone are you going to pair it with?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4455 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 03:54:46 »
Hi Headphone nerds. How am I doing so far?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Full album can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/qqEmZ

I am dying to hear some feedback and/or tips.

Listening through a Toroidal Transformer is equivalent to being one with the Chi Flow of the Universe..

Toroid is the most common shape in nature.

E-I is more akin to wrestling with electricity making it do what you want it to do.

Toroidal is more of a gentle handshake, where the two parties involved agree to one outcome.

Well,  you prolly won't hear a difference,  hahahaha...

Do you plan on shielding that E-I transformer, ?  It's pretty close to all your stuff.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4456 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 04:33:47 »
Finally got down to setting up the new beastly monitor on my desk, which happens to look pretty small now, guess I'll be in the market for a larger desk soon. Anyway, have replaced my AOC 29" UW with the Acer and it's a gorgeous display. I've been using my Oppo HA-1 + AKG K812 (I'd just realized the K812 hasn't been burnt in yet, so it's my go to can for now....pardon the rather dark image, my room isn't that bright and the camera didn't do diddly to brighten the scene.

Edit - Since this is more of a keyboard centric forum, it's GH after all, my two keyboards are:
KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Green (green LED)
Keyboard Paradise KBPV6000 Cherry MX White (blue LED)

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 September 2016, 06:15:04 by PadawanGeek »

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4457 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 13:21:08 »
Finally got down to setting up the new beastly monitor on my desk, which happens to look pretty small now, guess I'll be in the market for a larger desk soon. Anyway, have replaced my AOC 29" UW with the Acer and it's a gorgeous display. I've been using my Oppo HA-1 + AKG K812 (I'd just realized the K812 hasn't been burnt in yet, so it's my go to can for now....pardon the rather dark image, my room isn't that bright and the camera didn't do diddly to brighten the scene.
Show Image

Edit - Since this is more of a keyboard centric forum, it's GH after all, my two keyboards are:
KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Green (green LED)
Keyboard Paradise KBPV6000 Cherry MX White (blue LED)

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/dr00L.gif

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4458 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 17:55:43 »
Just picked up 2 pairs of the monk plus headphones.

Lets see how they compare to my sennheisers

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #4459 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 16:02:55 »
I am looking at buying a pair Audio Technica headphones.. currently choosing between the m20x and m30x (budget). You guys have any input?
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4460 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 21:58:25 »
I am looking at buying a pair Audio Technica headphones.. currently choosing between the m20x and m30x (budget). You guys have any input?
Must it be closed back like the M30X? If you're open to open back cans, Philips SHP9500 would be better especially if you game since it's an open can, it'd have wider soundstage for more accurate positional gaming, and is excellent for music as well. But, it cost a little more at 76USD vs 60USD for the M30X.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1474426369&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+shp9500

If your surrounding is noisy, or if you wish to NOT disturb anybody nearby (since open back cans leak sound), then the M30X would have to do.

Edit - Made a little boo-boo about my keyboards, the Pure Pro is MX Blue, NOT MX green. I've since replaced the KBPV6000 MX White with a KBT Race II MX Blue, I can't live w/o the arrow keys...using Fn to enable arrow keys is plain annoying.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2016, 22:06:07 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Skywalker

• INFP
« Reply #4461 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 12:49:57 »
Must it be closed back like the M30X? If you're open to open back cans, Philips SHP9500 would be better especially if you game since it's an open can, it'd have wider soundstage for more accurate positional gaming, and is excellent for music as well. But, it cost a little more at 76USD vs 60USD for the M30X.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1474426369&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+shp9500

If your surrounding is noisy, or if you wish to NOT disturb anybody nearby (since open back cans leak sound), then the M30X would have to do.

Edit - Made a little boo-boo about my keyboards, the Pure Pro is MX Blue, NOT MX green. I've since replaced the KBPV6000 MX White with a KBT Race II MX Blue, I can't live w/o the arrow keys...using Fn to enable arrow keys is plain annoying.

Thanks for your reply, this is good info.

Also I should have mentioned what I'd use the headphones for: mostly for listening to and producing music. I don't game much and when I do the sound isn't too integral to the gameplay, so the positional aspect wouldn't be too important to me. I think also I would have a preference for closed-back since I would be using them in public occasionally and wouldn't want to disturb the people around me.

Edit: Actually if anyone knows some differences between the m20x, m30x, m40x, and m50x in terms of sound I am curious. Not a lot I could find online comparing them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2016, 15:58:54 by Skywalker »
WASD V2 - MX Browns | Topre Realforce 87UB 45g

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4462 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 16:26:47 »
My left ear has been really sensitive lately, not sure if it's just me or if my left ciem got damaged somehow. Just randomly I'll get some really loose bass that I had never heard before in familiar songs. On some occasions it was from improperly inserting the monitor but I'm just a lil paranoid - only started happening recently.
I love Elzy

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4463 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 07:24:09 »
I decided to throw some HM5 pads on my Fidelio X1's. The primary reason is that whatever dye Philips used to color the pads actually stained my desk.  >:D After having left them overnight on my desk, I noticed some fuzzy black marks where I had left them. To begin with I didn't realize it was the pads causing the problem, I just thought it was from a magazine or something like that. A couple of days later the marks had multiplied, in the same area of the desk, and I realized that it could only be from the dye in the pads. Fortunately it didn't stain my skin.  :-X

But I guess it was a good trade-off as I find the HM5 pads much more soft and comfy. The bass is wild on these bad boys now!  :cool:

Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4464 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 20:51:58 »
My left ear has been really sensitive lately, not sure if it's just me or if my left ciem got damaged somehow. Just randomly I'll get some really loose bass that I had never heard before in familiar songs. On some occasions it was from improperly inserting the monitor but I'm just a lil paranoid - only started happening recently.

From your description of the sound pattern I will have to agree with you. Could also be the connection or cable and hopefully not the drivers. The only time I hear a different between my ears (anything more abnormal than usual of course) is when I'm sick. I sleep on my right side a lot and it causes my left ear to get clogged up.

@Lansky - those ear pads look SUPER comfy! Do they hurt the audio quality at all?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4465 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 22:31:49 »
Hmmm, I have the Fidelio X1 as well, I find the bass on it to be pretty decent, it doesn't overwhelms mids and treble though it doesn't sound bright/sparkly. Adding the HM5 would definitely boost bass, but wouldn't be too overpowering then?

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #4466 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 05:49:28 »
@Lansky - those ear pads look SUPER comfy! Do they hurt the audio quality at all?

They are indeed very comfortable. Very soft, much softer than a lot of leather/pleather pads I've tried on even high-end headphones. Besides a slight increase in bass, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in terms of sound.

Hmmm, I have the Fidelio X1 as well, I find the bass on it to be pretty decent, it doesn't overwhelms mids and treble though it doesn't sound bright/sparkly. Adding the HM5 would definitely boost bass, but wouldn't be too overpowering then?

I agree - and I was thinking the same thoughts before I installed them. It's definitely a bass-heavy headphone now. It might be on the verge of overpowering the rest of the spectrum. But it doesn't bother me too much as these are what I define as 'fun headphones' anyway. They're not really meant to be neutral.  ;D

I might try some other varieties of the HM5 pads in the future, maybe the hybrids or the full velour ones. Unfortunately there's no retailer in Denmark so it's always a bit of a hassle to purchase them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2016, 05:51:07 by Lansky »
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #4467 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 07:25:19 »
Here are my households current headphones:

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
Ultimate-Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro
Bang and Olufsen BeoPlay H6
Alesis DRP100

Headphone amp/s (that I'm aware of):
Talisman T-3H Midnight amplifier

-Joshua
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4468 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:18:31 »
Here are my households current headphones:

Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A
Ultimate-Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro
Bang and Olufsen BeoPlay H6
Alesis DRP100

Headphone amp/s (that I'm aware of):
Talisman T-3H Midnight amplifier

-Joshua
If you like what you have, it'd be a great idea to NOT go in too deeply into this wallet draining hobby. :eek: I started out with the intention of getting two or three good headphones and a DAC (stack or combo) or two. Dunno how in the world I ended up with >10 cans and two DAC combo and a DAC stack.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4469 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 12:10:34 »
Just picked up some Beyerdynamic T70's for $60. Anybody know of some excellence ear pads I can get for them?

Found these but not sure http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172349542357?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4470 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 17:34:12 »
Hey bmilcs looks like you did a great job on the Bottlehead Crack. Just curious - what headphone are you going to pair it with?

HD650's of course :D

I finished the Speedball yesterday. It's mighty impressive!!

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #4471 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 17:36:33 »
I can't imagine being able to afford anything that comes close to this level of audio quality. Plus the fun level is through the roof.

HD650, Speedball'ed Crack. MmMm. Can't wait to tinker further with the Bottlehead... add some new tubes and a new pot maybe :D. Anyone know any good methods of finishing wood?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4472 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:50:48 »
I can't imagine being able to afford anything that comes close to this level of audio quality. Plus the fun level is through the roof.

HD650, Speedball'ed Crack. MmMm. Can't wait to tinker further with the Bottlehead... add some new tubes and a new pot maybe :D. Anyone know any good methods of finishing wood?

Glow in the dark pigment mixed in epoxy and then inlayed into wood.

http://indulgd.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/glow-2.jpg

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4473 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 23:03:56 »

that looks a little too tacky for a bottlehead crack... when i think of tube amps a more classic, and elegant look would suit it more

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4474 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 23:05:03 »

lol i'm into it ^^

also helpppppppppppp i wnat a second pair of ciems "just in case"
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2016, 03:54:06 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4475 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 05:06:28 »

that looks a little too tacky for a bottlehead crack... when i think of tube amps a more classic, and elegant look would suit it more

So I googled the Bottlehead Crack amp like I should have before and in all honesty I don't think there is anything extravagant you'll need to do for the finish. I prefer an epoxy or lacquer because it offers a lot of protection but as for color I would go with a darker sort of burnt brown color for the wood stain.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathane-1-qt-3X-Kona-Premium-Wood-Stain-Case-of-2-266161/203371903?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D24-Paint%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsai_BRC30KH347fjksoBEiQAoiaqsUkgD5xBllv_XHBSWYL9NEDy8O1jTi6iJvR32szZJeYaAvG88P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #4476 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 10:06:13 »
how do you guys justify having so many cans.  I have hd598, k7xx, thx00, beats(dont judge), plus IEMs.  I need to sell =/
Hi :)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4477 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 22:14:03 »
how do you guys justify having so many cans.  I have hd598, k7xx, thx00, beats(dont judge), plus IEMs.  I need to sell =/
No justification needed actually, just the sheer fun of having a few cans which you can choose from depending on mood. I mean, sometimes, I'm in the mood for some head banging bass (NOT basshead level though), I'd reach for my Denon AH-D7000/D2000, or DT990. Sometimes, I want a little laid back sound to relax to, I'd reach for my HEK or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. When I'm into orchestral pieces, the HD800 is my 'go to' can, for chamber music, it'd be my K812 or HE560.....you get the idea.

Offline Twinguin

« Reply #4478 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 22:59:35 »
Well, just another (expensive) hobby - just like the keyboards.  ;D (And we haven't even started on photography or cars yet.)

BTT, I am currently enjoying most my Ultrasone HiFi2200 (around-ear), and the really nice Triple.Fi 10 in-ears. (But there are about a dozen more in- and around-ears lingering around ...). The TF10 work excellently with the old iPod Nano 6th gen - that's the little square one!  :thumb:

Sigh, too many hobbies!  :cool:
There is a curse. They say: May you live in interesting times!, Terry Pratchett

Popsicle KUL ES-87 (MX Blue, DSA) | Sun Ultracomputing Pok3r (MX Brown, DSA) | Nuclear WASD 100% (MX Brown, SA) | Gulf Pok3r (MX Clear, DSA) | Granite JD45 (MX Blue, DSA) | Coffee Core (MX Red, DSA) | Lime Pok3r (MX Clear, SA) | Canvas Vibe (MX Silent Red, XDA)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4479 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 15:15:13 »
Harman is supposedly killing the AKG brand. RIP

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4480 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:31:45 »
got tj to make a new iem cable but need to order parts first so see u next year
I love Elzy

Offline Grona

« Reply #4481 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:35:22 »
Harman is supposedly killing the AKG brand. RIP

So sad by this. I might try to snag up a pair of K712 pros that I've been eyeing for a while.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4482 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 05:08:23 »
someone stop me from buying another ciem
I love Elzy

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4483 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 05:33:03 »
don t do i T

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4484 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:16:09 »
Ok I won't yet, I have other things I need to get before then. Maybe I'll wait a year and a half before getting a new CIEM unless I find one I like used to get refit for a good price.

Gonna have the hardest time decided which flagship I want when it comes time :\
I love Elzy

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #4485 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:08:31 »
Ok I won't yet, I have other things I need to get before then. Maybe I'll wait a year and a half before getting a new CIEM unless I find one I like used to get refit for a good price.

I have the same problem. I want a new ciem, a bassy one this time for sure, but other things that I prioritize buying before and waiting for the best deal :<
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4486 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:14:50 »

I have the same problem. I want a new ciem, a bassy one this time for sure, but other things that I prioritize buying before and waiting for the best deal :<

:((((((((

gimme ur old ones to refit :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:16:54 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline PoisonKing

• RIP wallet
« Reply #4487 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 07:39:54 »
I'm new to GH, here's my other hobby. A heavily modded Grado... well, the only original Grado part is the earpad ;D
150171-0

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4488 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 08:59:01 »
**** it gonna make my own ciems
I love Elzy

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4489 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 03:12:20 »
hd6xx hnngh... if only it was black

Offline atarione

« Reply #4490 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:02:01 »
I have a foundness for vintage audio gear and have acquired some nice stuff (imho) most notably a Sony ES stack : TA-N77ES/ TA-E77ESD/700ES/730ES/ SDP-777ES.

I am currently debating if to jump on the HD6XX on massdrop which will be $199 ... when it goes live on the 8th.    Mostly at home I use beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphones..    additionally I own DT770 Pro 80's, ATH-M50 (diy removable cable mod) / ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-V6 and I have a few more laying about Pioneer SE-A1000..etc.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #4491 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 21:34:24 »
I have a foundness for vintage audio gear and have acquired some nice stuff (imho) most notably a Sony ES stack : TA-N77ES/ TA-E77ESD/700ES/730ES/ SDP-777ES.

I am currently debating if to jump on the HD6XX on massdrop which will be $199 ... when it goes live on the 8th.    Mostly at home I use beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphones..    additionally I own DT770 Pro 80's, ATH-M50 (diy removable cable mod) / ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-V6 and I have a few more laying about Pioneer SE-A1000..etc.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

the 650s are great... definitely an upgrade from the m50x, haven't tried the dt880/770 so I can't speak for them but at $200 it's the best at its price

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #4492 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 11:49:20 »
I know its not headphones, but I made a quick album of restoring my desktop speakers housing , thought some of you might appreciate it :) http://imgur.com/a/G8DLQ

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4493 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 06:32:16 »
I'm starting to look for Christmas presents already and it means I find a bunch of stuff I want to get too. So I ordered some KZ ATR IEM's to start with. Will see what's up with those.

Recently been going back to my old music library I've collected over the years and that means I would like to get a DAP. I asked around and my best friend had a iPod 5.5G he's not using. Need to change the display (so lines over it) and headphone jack (right ear doesn't have sound) and thinking about ordering an iFlash for some SD card action instead of a physical hard drive.

Maybe someone can aid me with some new music manager? Previously used Foobar as a player/manager. Library needs some cleaning. Found beets that looks promising. And have anyone tried/used headphones?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4494 on: Tue, 15 November 2016, 08:08:02 »
While I'm on a headphone buying hiatus, I was in another forum recommending some cheap China made IEM's I'd read about (TFZ Series 1/2/3, Knowledge Zenith aka KZ, etc) when it struck me that I'm recommending stuff that I'd had no experience with. Well, I decided that it was time to muck around with IEM's, and cheap ones at that! I'd gone out to grab two pairs from the KZ Acoustics range - ZS3 and ED12. Though I'm having a proper seal issue with the ZS3 with the supplied ear tips (will remedy this, and improve on the ED12 by getting Comply tips), the KZ ED12 is proving to be quite true of what I'm hearing in the various forums here in my neck of the woods. They do sound good! Initial impression of the ED12: Nice almost balanced sound with a hint of forward mids and a touch bass boost (tight and NOT at all loose), it's warm sounding to me....will do further listening on my HM901s with Discrete Amp card.
More
Show Image

PadawanGeek, how's your experience with KZ IEMs? And budget IEMs all together? Starting to get in budget audiophile stuff. Been checking Head-Fi for suggestions and they haven't let me down but I trust GH audiophiles a bit more. :D
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4495 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:00:54 »
got a new cable, iems sound bassier now, intersting..

need a new DAP now
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4496 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:17:37 »
got a new cable, iems sound bassier now, intersting..

need a new DAP now

it's all in ur head.. hahahahahaha.....

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4497 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:48:38 »
i mean i abx'd it just now it's not like it's a subtle difference...
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4498 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 18:32:50 »

The main problem is..

How to establish a reference point..

If you've heard no Proper demonstration of what sounded right..

Comparison and rankings could not be made.

They're all equivalently good whispers of what MAY be the right sound..

Which is why those who invest in high end audiophile gear  are daft people..

Especially the middle of the road people..   

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4499 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 18:46:31 »

The main problem is..

How to establish a reference point..

If you've heard no Proper demonstration of what sounded right..

Comparison and rankings could not be made.

They're all equivalently good whispers of what MAY be the right sound..

Which is why those who invest in high end audiophile gear  are daft people..

Especially the middle of the road people..   

this isn't about what sounds right, this is just stock cable = less bass, new cable = more bass. 3.5mm y splitter, 1 cable for one ear, another cable for the other ear. very clear noticeable difference. whether one is "better" than the other or not, I don't really care. was just a simple observation
I love Elzy