Author Topic: AEK II feel-alike?  (Read 2827 times)

Offline ThinkRob

AEK II feel-alike?
« on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:00:15 »
Hi all,

A while back many of the kind folks on the forum were able to make some recommendations for Model M keyboards for me to try.  I am pleased to say that your advice was excellent, and that I now have three wonderful Model Ms (ok, two M's and an M13) in my hardware collection (one in service, two in storage.)

I'd like to once more solicit the opinions and advice of the forum for my next keyboard purchase.  I absolutely love the feel of the Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I grew up using a Mac IIci (at the time a rather powerful machine), and while I've since moved on to other computers, the AEK II remains my all time favorite keyboard.  I actually acquired an AEK II recently as part of a bundle of vintage Mac gear that I purchased, and have yet again been reminded of just how perfect that keyboard is for my tastes.

Unfortunately, I don't use Macs anymore -- and even if I did, the removal of the ADB bus means that I'd have no way to plug it in!  Therefore, I'd like to pose a question to anyone who's used the AEK II: what keyboard most closely replicates the feel?

Other considerations:

1) I'd like a full layout, numpad, arrow keys in the proper inverted T configuration, etc.

2) NKRO would be ideal, but is not a requirement.

3) PS/2 connectors are preferred, but USB/USB->PS/2 would be OK too.

4) US English only.  My brain is too full to learn another layout. ;)

5) Price is not a major factor.

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Offline False_Dmitry_II

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:07:04 »
Er, go to ebay and type in 'adb to usb'. Then use your AEKII. done.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline ThinkRob

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:20:25 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;340693
Er, go to ebay and type in 'adb to usb'. Then use your AEKII. done.

Sorry, I should have clarified: I know there are ADB->USB convertors, but I'd rather not go that route.

I'd still like another keyboard though for a couple reasons, namely 1) I don't want to have to keep unplugging my AEK II from the vintage Mac to which it is actually connected (not used regularly, but used occasionally enough that I'd rather leave the keyboard with it) and  2) I'd like one(s) for the office, etc.

Offline Sephiros

AEK II feel-alike
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:39:09 »
The closest thing I can think of is the Matias Tactile Pro: http://www.matias.ca/tactilepro3/; I'm not recommending this without reservation, though - I have two of the original Tactile Pros, and while the keyfeel is quite authentic (I believe they're made with a newer rev of the same Alps switches as the AEK-II), the general build quality isn't very good. Both of mine are literally falling to bits.  The shell is cracked, the rear feet have broken off, and the little clips that hold the top and bottom together have also broken.  I'm not sure how the latest rev of the hardware (Tactile Pro 3) stacks up, but I'd be hesitant about buying another without confirmation that the build quality has been addressed.

Quote from: ThinkRob;340689
Hi all,

A while back many of the kind folks on the forum were able to make some recommendations for Model M keyboards for me to try.  I am pleased to say that your advice was excellent, and that I now have three wonderful Model Ms (ok, two M's and an M13) in my hardware collection (one in service, two in storage.)

I'd like to once more solicit the opinions and advice of the forum for my next keyboard purchase.  I absolutely love the feel of the Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I grew up using a Mac IIci (at the time a rather powerful machine), and while I've since moved on to other computers, the AEK II remains my all time favorite keyboard.  I actually acquired an AEK II recently as part of a bundle of vintage Mac gear that I purchased, and have yet again been reminded of just how perfect that keyboard is for my tastes.

Unfortunately, I don't use Macs anymore -- and even if I did, the removal of the ADB bus means that I'd have no way to plug it in!  Therefore, I'd like to pose a question to anyone who's used the AEK II: what keyboard most closely replicates the feel?

Other considerations:

1) I'd like a full layout, numpad, arrow keys in the proper inverted T configuration, etc.

2) NKRO would be ideal, but is not a requirement.

3) PS/2 connectors are preferred, but USB/USB->PS/2 would be OK too.

4) US English only.  My brain is too full to learn another layout. ;)

5) Price is not a major factor.

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

Offline False_Dmitry_II

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 20:39:34 »
Well its one of two boards I know of that have the rubber dampened sliders. The other has clicky switches. They weren't used much.

You've got two options. Buy 2-4 adapters and 1-3 AEKII's.

Other than that, you have to buy 1-3 AEKII's and 1-3 (however many you're looking for) dell at-101's or  fk-2001's or something like that off of ebay. Then you have to open up each and every switch on both boards, put the rubber dampened sliders into the board you'd be using. In the case of something clicky like the fk-2001, also the tactile only leaf from the AEKII. After that, your choice as to which set of keycaps to use.

There is literally nothing modern that feels like an AEKII.

Edit: those tactile pros are intended to be the same, but they are simplified/fake alps. I also don't think they are dampened.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline theferenc

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 21:27:48 »
I actually have a slider swapped Dell for sale in the classifieds section. It's almost exactly what you're looking for, without the trouble of actually having to do it yourself.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline False_Dmitry_II

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 21:36:51 »
You know, I shoulda remembered that.

That's an excellent thing to get. That will give the OP something to see if he wants to continue with mods or just buy some more adapters. I say that because it sounds like he's after more than one.

Offline Pylon

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 22:05:47 »
SGI AT-101 granite? They have pretty much the same switches.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 22:38:30 »
Those are much harder to find than anything else that has been mentioned. They are also clicky instead of just tactile.

Offline ThinkRob

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 23:32:59 »
Damn.  Just my luck to find that my ideal keyboard is without replacement... :D

I could buy the adapters, but they're a little pricy considering that I still have to get the boards...

And yes, I'd be after 2 or 3 of them all told.  I have one but it's in pretty poor shape (the previous owner made excessive use of tape... at least I hope that's what the sticky gunk is...), so if I went the adapter route I'd be looking at paying upwards of $120 for the adapters plus the cost of the boards.  Doable, certainly, but if there's something that replicates the feel and doesn't require the adapters I'd prefer that.

I looked at the Tactile Pro, and... well... I can't say I care for the look.  My desk has a high-end BSD workstation and a standard beige box at its side, a ThinkVision monitor, and is generally pretty business-ish.  The shiny clear/white plastic look of the Tactile Pro wouldn't really fit in.

I think I'll buy theferenc's modded board and give that a go, and if I like it, mod a few more myself.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2011, 13:22:14 by ThinkRob »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 01:05:52 »
The AEKII boards are generally $20-30 shipped off of ebay, even for good examples. I'd say that plus the adapters really isn't that much. Not when you include the fact that theferenc's board is taking up a slot.

If you don't mind the fact that the mechanism itself is clicky, looking for the board that Pylon mentioned might be worth it.

Keep in mind that to mod it you have to still buy an AEKII and a board to put them into. That won't be cheap per board more-or-less besides dells.

Offline theferenc

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:24:12 »
Just be aware the SGI granites can have adapter woes, if you need it to be USB. You said you prefer PS/2, so that shouldn't be an issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Otherwise, really nice keyboards.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline nraymond

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 10:42:02 »
Quote from: ThinkRob;340787
And yes, I'd be after 2 or 3 of them all told.  I have one but it's in pretty poor shape (the previous owner made excessive use of tape... at least I hope that's what the sticky gunk is...), so if I went the adapter route I'd be looking at paying upwards of $120 for the adapters plus the cost of the boards.  Doable, certainly, but if there's something that replicates the feel and doesn't require the adapters I'd prefer that.

I have at least three AEII in very good condition, and I even have the plastic templates you can put around the F-keys and Apple ADB cables for each board.  I'm planning to sell them, but I haven't gotten to it yet... been busy selling my excess photo gear in another forum.  PM me if you are interested.

Offline Jim66

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:15:15 »
Don't forget you don't have to go for the imate adaptor. The belkin ADB to USB work just as well and are generally a little cheaper.

Belkin adaptor

amazon.co.uk have them...

Cheap imate ebay.co.uk

P.s., I'm in total agreement with you. I love the feel of a dampened AEII.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:19:07 by Jim66 »

Offline ThinkRob

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 13:24:17 »
I already have a relatively good local source for AEKIIs, so those are no problem.

I'll look for some cheap USB/ADB adapters, but I'm not getting my hopes up -- all the eBay options seem to be pretty pricy.

I'll also see about some of the SGI keyboards since those look like an interesting option (thanks Pylon and ripster!)

Offline kpeezy

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:30:12 »
So, does the AEKII work fine over PS2 in Windows? I want to get one for work (or just something cheap I guess).

Any other recommendations for a cheap nice board?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:33:15 by kpeezy »

Offline ThinkRob

AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 20:35:52 »
Quote from: kpeezy;342217
So, does the AEKII work fine over PS2 in Windows? I want to get one for work (or just something cheap I guess).

Any other recommendations for a cheap nice board?

AEK IIs use ADB (Apple Desktop Bus), not PS/2.  I don't know of any ADB->PS/2 convertors.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
AEK II feel-alike?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 01:55:02 »
FWIW Griffin and Belkin made ADB > USB converters, and they appear on eBay occasionally.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.