Author Topic: So, debating between reds and browns..  (Read 3203 times)

Offline NinjaRicer

So, debating between reds and browns..
« on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 02:16:28 »
So, I'll be purchasing a new Filco board off of Amazon within the coming weeks. I'm either getting the tenkeyless Majestouch-2 with browns, or a full-size reds. I've had my 6Gv2 for a while now, and I do like the linear feel of the keys. However, I haven't ever touched a cherry brown switch, and I definitely haven't touched a red switch.

How much more ergonomic is the red switch for typing, and is it much more enjoyable than blacks?

And, in your opinion, are browns just better for studying/light gaming?

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 02:34:33 »
I currently own Red. It is very light touch and great for gaming indeed. I've played SC2 with blue switches for about 3 hours and my fingers hurt so I gotta rest. I played Red about 8 hours today and my fingers still don't hurt. My APM is averaged about 200 from my recent replay. As you may already know linear doesn't have that middle point you feel that blue/browns have. I was used to blue, so at first, I wasn't sure if I was typing. It is almost cloud typing. But now I used for some time, my fingers are getting to feel whether I typed or not. And with red, you are more likely to bottom out more often. But your fingers don't hurt, so that's a difference between blue.
Brown, from many people, is almost linear but can feel that middle point. It is also heavier than Red, has 55g of force, 0.1 less than blue, so almost the same force. But since it doesn't have that dinstinct loud "click", you are more likely to feel it is linear. Some people say when you type fast and get used to it, you almost don't feel the middle joint but almost like linear.
But I bet it defintely has more force and more likely to feel the response when you type.
Brown is also lighter than black.
Brown and Red are both great for typing and gaming. If you have been using black for so long, I am guessing your fingers wouldn't hurt much even with long typing.
And also are used to heavy switch.
If you want to feel something different go with browns.
Red is just very light version of black.
Personally though, I'd recommend Red :)

Offline NinjaRicer

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 02:48:22 »
Hm, well thanks for the input. Didn't know that browns had the same force of blues, so that helps. My friend has some blues, so gotta see how that feels. I bottom out all the time to type on my blacks, so my fingers are pretty used to tons of force. But typing for a long time on my blacks really gets my fingers tired. It gets annoying, which is half the reason I'm selling this board.

Anyway, the browns feel really linear? Hm. Makes me want to go to reds, if there's hardly any force in a brown.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 04:07:32 »
Love, love, love the reds. I've never typed on blacks or blues. My comparison is to browns and topres. I had returned the keyboard with the browns. To me it was light enough but I wasn't all that crazy about the bump and the additional noise. I really like the light feel and deeper sound of the topres but my favorite overall is my Filco with reds with the sound dampening pads. Just such a light feel and so quiet. I agree it really is like typing on a cloud.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 04:38:25 »
my opinion is slightly different from brkim.. here's a copy and paste from a different thread that i wrote:

"after jus getting a brown keyboard today.. i've concluded that they're both light touch keyboards.. but the red distinctly "feels" slightly heavier because of the way the switch is made. it's pretty much a lighter "black" switch... so when typing on the reds- after pressing down a certain distance, it has an upward force which helps you not bottom out (though it's still easy to bottom out). but if you get used to the reds and learn how to type on it "properly".. it's really a pleasant typing experience and is the "fastest" keyboard i own.

the brown feels lighter because it doesn't have pressure pushing back upwards like the reds/blacks do

in my opinion if you game and spam the same key several times.. it gets slightly more tiring on reds than it does browns so i would stay with your browns. but if typing is your forte, reds is an awesome choice

hope this helps "

i would go with red btw.. i think the fact that the reds push up a little bit help you spam better.. browns i feel like i'm forced to bottom out
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 05:49:35 »
"after jus getting a brown keyboard today.. i've concluded that they're both light touch keyboards.. but the red distinctly "feels" slightly heavier because of the way the switch is made. it's pretty much a lighter "black" switch... so when typing on the reds- after pressing down a certain distance, it has an upward force which helps you not bottom out (though it's still easy to bottom out). but if you get used to the reds and learn how to type on it "properly".. it's really a pleasant typing experience and is the "fastest" keyboard i own.

True. It has the force pushing it back. But it's barely noticeable. I am not trying to defend Red. Just saying how I feel about it :)
Personally, I hate keyboards that have strong push back feel when typing. It just makes my fingers hurt when I type alot.
Red does have it but it's barely noticeable.
I believe you cannot judge a keyboard by just typing small period of time. For example could be Topre. When membrane users try out Topre, they usually say it's good but mechanical feels alot better. That's only for the first glimpse of it. As time goes on with lots of typing, they will know Topre is a lot more comfortable and blend with your fingers. That's why HHKB is so expensvie and renowned for.
I just tried out both blue and Red, and I like blue better but my fingers don't like them, meaning they get tired alot :( (damn my fingers got so weak!! too much typing...)
At first Red could feel heavier, but as I stated, red just never made my fingers fatigue somehow.
I have been typing 13 hours straight, and my fingers don't hurt. That's is defintely different from my blue experience where my fingers couldn't just type anymore after about 8 hours.
But my fingers are fine now, so I think that's the major difference. I do like the blue feel of typing better though, my fingers don't! :(
Anyway, just wanted to say you cannot judge something by just a glimpse ;) everything cannot be.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:55:30 »
Personally, I hate keyboards that have strong push back feel when typing.

I really miss that feel with the Topre, because it helps me type faster without bottoming out. That's one of the reasons why I like linear switches.
I think Topre with stiffer springs would be the most awesome keyboard ever made.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline dezi

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:27:00 »
Currently also testing the different switches (Blacks feel way to heavy for me but there doesn't seem to be a DE Layout Board with Red Switches). Zowie with Browns was fine except the Space problem. Now testing a 6Gv2 (for the Blacks) and i'm not sure about the shape of the board. Looks similar to Filco so i wonder if i'll also accidently press Ctrl on a Filco like on the 6Gv2.

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:54:23 »
Go Red or go home.

Offline Larry Dallas

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 19:33:07 »
Better red than dead.

Offline vincewchan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 20:28:30 »
You guys make me want a red.
Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Brown
Razer Deathadder Black Edition

WTB: iMav\'s GH key(s)

Offline Gfresh404

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 20:58:23 »
Quote from: vincewchan;342295
You guys make me want a red.

Haha honestly, I like both. But again, it all comes down to preference. I liked the tactile feel of the MX Browns for typing. But when it comes to gaming I really like the reds.

I've only had the reds for a day - so keep that in mind.

Offline NinjaRicer

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 21:13:54 »
Well, looks like I'm getting the reds =O Not like I type for tons of time anyway. I already like the feel of bottoming out keys on my blacks, so that's a plus.

Offline turtleslikejohn

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 21:53:46 »
Where are you planning on getting reds?
Edit: Didn't see the fullsize Filco

Offline Orphagn

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 22:57:53 »
If you bottom out on Blacks a lot, Reds will feel like pushing air. I went back to Blacks after Reds since they felt like playing a game with aim assist.
Keyboards:
KBC Poker
Cherry G80-11900
Cherry G80-3494

Offline nocturn4l3030

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 02:06:10 »
Quote from: brkim1324;341945
True. It has the force pushing it back. But it's barely noticeable. I am not trying to defend Red. Just saying how I feel about it :)
Personally, I hate keyboards that have strong push back feel when typing. It just makes my fingers hurt when I type alot.
Red does have it but it's barely noticeable.
I believe you cannot judge a keyboard by just typing small period of time. For example could be Topre. When membrane users try out Topre, they usually say it's good but mechanical feels alot better. That's only for the first glimpse of it. As time goes on with lots of typing, they will know Topre is a lot more comfortable and blend with your fingers. That's why HHKB is so expensvie and renowned for.
I just tried out both blue and Red, and I like blue better but my fingers don't like them, meaning they get tired alot :( (damn my fingers got so weak!! too much typing...)
At first Red could feel heavier, but as I stated, red just never made my fingers fatigue somehow.
I have been typing 13 hours straight, and my fingers don't hurt. That's is defintely different from my blue experience where my fingers couldn't just type anymore after about 8 hours.
But my fingers are fine now, so I think that's the major difference. I do like the blue feel of typing better though, my fingers don't! :(
Anyway, just wanted to say you cannot judge something by just a glimpse ;) everything cannot be.

don't worry, i like reds too =)

i owned browns before (see sig) but got a total reminder of what it was like once i got this kb again.. been typing on it ever since i got it too and i still feel the same way.... browns are significantly lighter to me than reds.. just not by much - i mean it makes sense too.. seeing that the reds push back up and the browns dont

but i guess that's why everyone feels differently bout all the different switches
What happens when you discover GeekHack:
[strike]Black Ducky dk1087 Cherry (Brown)
Topre Realforce 103UB 55g
Topre Realforce 103UB
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (Clear)
White PLU ML-87 (Blue)
1990 IBM Model M 1391401
Cherry G80-3000LSCEU-0 (Blue)
[/strike]

Cherry G80-3600LYCEU-2 (Red)
Topre Realforce 86UB
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown)

[/SIZE]