Author Topic: 40% Keyboards; introductory post  (Read 4937 times)

Offline modest

40% Keyboards; introductory post
« on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:31:36 »
"What a bizarre community filled with people who are way into their keyboards." I thought when I first encountered this place. Regardless, I decided it was worth $100 for a solid keyboard. A real professional's tool, for a real professional who sits in front of a computer for more 8 hours a day. I've been lurking ever since. And now my Unicomp Customizer with all blank key caps has cultivated in me a hatred for every squishy rubber-domed keyboard I must touch. You're all not so weird after all. And today's post about The Social Network with so many Linux users piping up prompted me to finally register!

With that being said I need to get a keyboard for my home PC. I really dig the 40% HHKB style but I can't believe the key layout is something I'll like. The $275 price tag sure isn't helping. I know of the KBC Poker which can be had for a reasonable $125. But are there any other choices in this category; can they be easily bought (I see many links to Asian websites, and I'm not brave enough to try and navigate those). I'm not into the Noppoo Choc Mini - I want the number keys to double as the function keys - true 40%.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:34:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:48:57 »
If you want f-keys in a function layer, the kbc poker is pretty much the board you want.  Unless of course the guru board ever materializes

Offline Brummell

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:55:38 »
Welcome to Geekhack.  You know, I thought the same way you did, I couldn't imagine ever liking the HHKB or being able to get used to the layout.  I've used it for a couple of months now and I absolutely love the thing.  YMMV, but I really didn't find it as tough to adapt as I thought I would.  

With that said, I can certainly imagine your hesitance about wanting to drop $275 on a keyboard you're not sure you'll like, but you can always resell it here pretty easily.
Unicomp Space Saver | Filco Majestouch Blue | IBM Model M | Filco Majestouch Brown | Realforce 86UB | Leopold Blue | HHKB Pro 2

Offline pitashen

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:02:15 »
Ask yourself what do you do mostly on your home computer?
If gaming, you might want to reconsider going for layout like HHKB. (Depending on the game you play even HHKB might be enough)
If mainly for typing, do go ahead with HHKB. Please do allow some time to get used to it, and like many others, you'll love the keyboard.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:02:43 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;342152
Welcome to Geekhack!

thank you
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline neo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:36:30 »
You were right the first time. Geekhackers are weird. Present company excluded, of course.

woody

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:43:39 »
Quote from: modest;342149
Unicomp Customizer with all blank key caps has cultivated in me a hatred for every squishy rubber-domed keyboard I must touch ...
I really dig the 40% HHKB style ...
Keep in mind that HHKB is still a rubber dome, albeit with a capacitive sensing.

The Poker has funny Fn layer, so I skipped it. G84-4100 is OK mini keyboard.

Offline modest

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:55:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, thank you.

The HHKB's strange placement of CTRL is really what does it. Same reason I could never fully commit to DVORAK. I keyboard-shortcut cut-copy-paste a squillion times a day. I could probably get over whacking that tilda every time I want to delete, and deleting every time I'm trying to change directories in Windows, but the CTRL key would be way too awkward for me.

Whats this I see about the mini guru possibly materializing this year? Last I saw the project had been completely cancelled. I won't hold my breath though and will probably just pick up the KCB poker if there are no other alternatives.

Offline rustybarnacle

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 15:58:44 »
On the mini guru, there was some talk (could be just talk) about it being a DIY kit of some kind.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:18:15 »
Quote from: woody;342192
Keep in mind that HHKB is still a rubber dome, albeit with a capacitive sensing.

The Poker has funny Fn layer, so I skipped it. G84-4100 is OK mini keyboard.

I don't think my topre is a rubber dome
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:42:30 »
Quote from: noodles256;342211
I don't think my topre is a rubber dome

Even topre thinks is a rubber dome.

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:56:39 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:52:43 »
I would add the KBtalking Pure (looks just like the poker, but its ISO layout), but I don't think it has shipped yet.  When you consider the HHKB, also remember the JIS version.  Sure, its got the tiny space bar and the kana modifiers that you'll never use, but it does have the true arrow cluster.  Just something to think about it.

Other than that, you would have to jump to tenkeyless for more selection.  There just isn't that much available in this form factor.  I know you said that you don't want a true F-row, but you should also be aware of the non-backlit TG3.  That would be a direct alternative to the noppoo, but as you stated, you are not looking for that.

EDIT: I wish there was an ALPS version of the 40% form-factor.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 16:55:05 by digitalleftovers »
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 17:02:07 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;342228
I would add the KBtalking Pure

Wow, looks really nice.

It's already available or is something like the miniguru ?
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 17:08:21 »
Quote from: The Solutor;342231
Wow, looks really nice.

It's already available or is something like the miniguru ?

Note sure. Here is the source article:
http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/40209

And then the GH thread where it was discussed.  Looks like some pricing info here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?15837-KBTalking-Pure&highlight=KBTalking
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 17:10:50 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;342232
Note sure. Here is the source article:
http://kbtalking.cool3c.com/article/40209

Thanks, I've already found this thread, even after traslating it is still not clear if the production is started or not...