Author Topic: Tenkeyless? Numpad? (a n00b question)  (Read 6022 times)

Offline CheddarTrek

Tenkeyless? Numpad? (a n00b question)
« on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:47:29 »
Hey there folks,

I notice a lot of people here talking about the tenkeyless boards (I did finally manage to figure out that this meant it had the ten numpad number keys "less" than a fullsize keyboard... or at least I think that's what it means?), and I had always assumed until now that they were popular primarily because they were cheaper.

But now that I'm getting serious about picking up a mechanical keyboard I was looking at EliteKeyboards and I noticed that the fullsize keyboards and the tenkeyless ones are about the same price.

So why are the Tenkeyless ones so popular?  Wouldn't it better as a general rule to have the Numpad option as opposed to not having it?  Or is the extra size/length/weight/whatever really a big deal?  If so, why?

I guess if you were a serious gamer being able to move your hand ever so slightly faster between the keyboard and the mouse might be vitally important, but is that the main reason?  Mouse distance?  (Whether for gaming or otherwise).

Just curious.  Thanks!

fossala

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:50:35 »
Quote from: CheddarTrek;566283
I guess if you were a serious gamer being able to move your hand ever so slightly faster between the keyboard and the mouse might be vitally important, but is that the main reason?  Mouse distance?  (Whether for gaming or otherwise).

That is the reason why.

Offline slueth

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:51:25 »
Looks more compact, slick, cooler, all the Geekhackers are buying it.
Also you get to buy a separate numpad afterwards and put it where your missing numpad is....
Think about  it this way... it's harder to physically remove the numpad then it is to add one.(if you have one)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:52:15 »
What's TKL?

They're popular because they allow your hands to be closer together, so that it's more ergonomic and you'll be able to get to the keyboard faster with your right hand. It saves you desk space, and it is easier to carry around if you have to do so. It is also cheaper when you buy a set of SP doubleshots from the groupbuys here, since you don't have to buy the numberpad add-on kit.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline CheddarTrek

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:57:03 »
Hmm, all good points, thanks guys!  Now I'm not sure which to buy.  I like to have a Numpad for the rare occasion when I actually use it, but I can't see myself ever bothering to hook up an extra numpad if I didn't have one on the main keyboard.

Thanks also for the reminder about the Group Buy sub-forum, need to check that out sometime.

Much appreciated, cheers

Offline slueth

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:58:16 »
I was joking around about hooking up a numpad but people here actually do that >.<...

fossala

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 00:59:00 »
Quote from: CheddarTrek;566297
Hmm, all good points, thanks guys!  Now I'm not sure which to buy.  I like to have a Numpad for the rare occasion when I actually use it, but I can't see myself ever bothering to hook up an extra numpad if I didn't have one on the main keyboard.

Thanks also for the reminder about the Group Buy sub-forum, need to check that out sometime.

Much appreciated, cheers

If you use a numpad, buy a keyboard with a numpad. Even though tenkeyless keyboards are cool, they don't suit everyone.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 01:00:23 »
For me it came down to relearning to typing in numbers, as I was very used to using the numberpad for inputting numbers. The first week of having my new mechanical keyboard I found myself automatically reaching for the numpad when wanting to enter numbers, so that was a bit of an annoyance. But as with everything muscle memory related, I soon readjusted and started using the number row, now I don't think there is much need for the numberpad for the kind of input I do with it. Or rather used to do with it.
That might change in the future, and then I will be more than likely to buy a numpad that I will pull out when need be.

The shorter travel distance is not only for gaming, but day-to-day use puts less strain on you having to move your arm that extra length.
For me it is also a lot more comfortable having a centered keyboard, and with the 100% keyboards I never felt I really got that (at least with the ones I have). Admittedly I didn't really know what was causing my discomfort until I started using my tenkeyless, but now that I do, I am sure I will find it difficult to use a 100% for longer periods of time.

Some popular band once had a song called All the small things. I am sure the reasons for you wanting a keyboard will be different from mine, but think about what you like, and remember that one keyboard isn't the end of the line ;)

/rant

Offline CheddarTrek

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 01:02:32 »
I use a Numpad enough that I am accustomed to having one, but maybe not enough to justify getting one.  It's only really useful to me when I need to do a lot of data entry of numbers into Excel, and usually I'm not entering a lot of numbers.  Maybe once every 6 weeks I find the Numpad to be worthwhile to have, the rest of the time I could probably make do with the numbers across the top without missing it too much.

Hence why I guess I need to think on it more.  Browns are generally cited as the "best" for typing right?  I didn't get to try any at Microcenter so I probably won't get to test them unless I buy.

Thanks again ^^

Offline slueth

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 03:25:12 »
It is all preferences, there isn't the best for typing... I personally think they are all good for "typing"...

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 03:35:32 »
Tenkeyless keyboard could make all computer operation more comfortable. Especially a small guy like me.
I think a separate numpad is essential, you never know what you going to need it sometimes.
It's not style, it is personal ergonomic. I won't go back with full size keyboard from now.

Offline irjoe

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 05:35:38 »
For my first mechanical keyboard, I decided to buy a 108 fullsized keyboard for home use. I play some games, but also being a student, and a student who writes a lot of papers dealing with statistics and numbers; I decided that a numpad would benefit me a lot more. I've used it several times, but tbh, I could probably do without them.

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 06:14:26 »
Sticking with a tenkeyless layout allows you to have more keyboards on your desk.

A lot of people around here, myself included, prefer more minimalist keyboards without superfluous things like macro keys and numpads. Numpads can be convenient if you need to enter lots of numbers in excel, but I'm of the opinion that not having to move your hand that extra couple inches every time you reach for the mouse is more convenient in most cases.

Offline captain

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 08:56:22 »
If you are rich, buy them all and see what works best for you.

The "best" is pretty evenly split among Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Topre. This is as complex as "What is the best footwear?"

Read the "wiki" and you'll be ahead of most everyone else. ;-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 09:00:42 »
It's cheaper to buy keycap sets for 87-key boards than it is to buy them for standard boards.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 11:57:06 »
Ergo, sleek, and more desk real estate. :)

My work setup:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47207[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47208[/ATTACH]

Offline phormality

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 April 2012, 12:07:26 »
I would prefer a tenkeyless because it would allow me to be more centered in front of my monitor.  I want my hands on the home keys to be centered in front of the monitor.  Doing that with a numberpad puts the mouse really far to the right... and with my current desk, it really doesn't give me much room at all with a full sized keyboard.