Author Topic: Window/Meta/Splat Key Alternatives  (Read 6015 times)

Offline itlnstln

Window/Meta/Splat Key Alternatives
« on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 10:53:08 »
Beautiful post, ripster, thanks. The reasons I hear about not wanting a Windows key are silly, IMO. Ignore it or change it and move on.

This is classic:

It always cracks me up when people start whining about the Windows key. I mean, it's like whining about the weird SysRq labeling or the uselessness of the Tilde key. Despite hardware solutions (key locks) and software solutions (autohotkey, register hacks, etc.) people still whine.

So mod it and quit complaining. It's 2010, not 1980. Buying a keyboard without Windows keys is stupid.

Offline elservo

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:13:21 »
*whistles innocently*
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:25:36 »
Microsoft being a ****ty company is debatable. They're excellent at being a company, but the values a company must hold to be good make it bad in other contexts (remember, corporations are legally citizens and can hold values, have opinions and act as individuals with the same rights as individuals...regardless of how much sense or fairness may be involved with that).

I think the Windows key would best be replaced by a key with no legend, and Microsoft software packages could include a sticker (I hate stickers on keys, but if someone really wanted it, this way they could have it).

Regarding a key physically being present there...it's my preference to have blank space, but it's a functional spot for a modifier key.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:33:27 »
Personally, they make the stuff I need to get my job done better than anyone else.  Really, other than Office, I don't need anything else from MS.  Their office suite is by far the best out there.  TBH, I really like Windows 7, but OSX would be fine for my needs, too.  I'm not much of an OS junkie, so I just stick with Windows mostly for compatibility/price reasons.  To me, the OS is just "there," and I do my work around it.  For my usage, Windows is unobtrusive, therefore I can deal with it.  I can't say the same, in my personal experience, for Linux (that, and there's no MS Office).

Offline elservo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:39:07 »
For everybody out there that wants to try a truly casual version of Linux that doesn't get all "Linuxy" on their asses should try out Linux Mint.  It's easily my favorite iteration of Linux, and it has never given me problems unlike Ubuntu.  

I'm on Windows 7 now, but if I were to go back to Linux, it would be Mint that I would install.  I've been thinking about setting it back up in VMware, but for now I'm pretty low impact with my laptop, so 7 has been fine.
AEKII(Home)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:47:30 »
thankfully its not an issue for me on the HHKB or model M. But on the Filco's I use I got some ubuntu stickers to cover  the win logo on the keys.

Ideally, it would just be a blank key, or if there needs to be SOMETHING there then how about a diamond, or maybe a narwhal sticker.

I know its hard, what with windows having 99.9999% of the market and all. You would think that it was the only OS available. Hence, the windows key.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 12:49:46 »
Quote from: elservo;152769
For everybody out there that wants to try a truly casual version of Linux that doesn't get all "Linuxy" on their asses should try out Linux Mint.  It's easily my favorite iteration of Linux, and it has never given me problems unlike Ubuntu.  

I'm on Windows 7 now, but if I were to go back to Linux, it would be Mint that I would install.  I've been thinking about setting it back up in VMware, but for now I'm pretty low impact with my laptop, so 7 has been fine.

I can second Mint. I tried it and thought it was pretty easy  to use. I went back to ubuntu as I could not find a way to install Mint on a 3 drive raid 0.

If you want something harder, there is always gentoo(but I don't want to get all  medieval on your ass). But for most everyone  else there is ubuntu/mint.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 13:00:39 »
Win Keys are free modifiers.   Of course you can always cover the logo up with a Penguin, Apple, Devil or Chrome OS Logo if it makes you have a better day.

<- Polishes Win Keys with a smile
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline bigpook

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 13:11:03 »
Quote from: webwit;152773

In other words: define corruption. Corrupted people deserve corrupted companies and corrupted fascist governments, leeching on their money, taking away their freedoms, which they cannot handle.

wow, I can actually agree with you on this one, but what does that have to do with the win key?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 13:38:58 »
I just had the realization that I have never heard anyone complain about Apple keys.

Allow me to be the first....

This Apple key on my Extended Keyboard is BULLSH*T!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2010, 13:42:16 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 14:41:54 »

I'd rather have a sticker on my key with this character:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taz-Looney_Tunes.svg

Spec57
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2010, 14:49:27 by Specter_57 »

Offline elservo

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2010, 19:04:57 »
I automated the windows key + c to open up my calculator.  Later I'm going to make windows key + w open up all my late night excel files.  I'm working through my windows key hate.
AEKII(Home)

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 03:14:26 »
Taz rules!

Just tried to look up the Deck set now that I have a couple Cherry boards, but site is now saying no such item. That was gone fast.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 09:04:45 »
There's a paradox they cite in baseball when bringing up the short list of pitchers who have ever lost 20 games in a season. For those of you aren't intimately familiar with baseball, winning 20 games a season is considered the mark of an elite pitcher. You'd think the converse would be considered the mark of a totally worthless pitcher, but the paradox is that you actually have to be pretty good in order for anyone to allow you the chance to lose 20 games. Usually by the time someone racks up 10 losses, the team is already trying to send him back to the minor leagues or trade him for a few bats and some hot dogs.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline doornail

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 10:54:43 »
... start whining ... whining ... still whine ... quit complaining ... is stupid ... jumping up and down ... Linux users are happy with obscure command lines but don't know how to use a screwdriver ... beyond the ability of Sudo SuperUsers ...

For a forum dedicated to keyboards this post seems ill conceived and needlessly caustic.  In fact, it's pretty messed up.  You'll find a far greater percentage of tinkerer, DIY types in the Linux community than Windows.  It's darn near a pre-requisite.

I don't want a Windows key for the same reason I don't want a Members Only jacket or NASCAR stickers on my car.  It can't be hard to grasp that, even if you adore NASCAR, Members Only, and Microsoft.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:12:45 »
Quote from: doornail;153008
I don't want a Windows key for the same reason I don't want a Members Only jacket or NASCAR stickers on my car.  It can't be hard to grasp that, even if you adore NASCAR, Members Only, and Microsoft.

I know... the first thing people see when they enter my office is the Windows key on my keyboard and the look on their face says it all: "OMG! You have changed!"

The next thing they usually do is grab my arm to roll my sleeves back so they can check for track marks.

They don't believe me that I only bought the keyboard for the keyboard and I know it sounds like a total cover up, but seriously in my case it's true.

I tell them that I only touch type and never look at the keyboard and I forget that the damnned key is there in the first place, but nobody listens.

Then to show me that we're through, they unfriend me on Facebook.

Everyone else, has this happened to you too?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline doornail

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:14:56 »
Quote from: ripster;153011
Whiner.

Stay classy.

Offline doornail

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:32:52 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;153013
I know... the first thing people see when they enter my office is the Windows key on my keyboard and the look on their face says it all: "OMG! You have changed!"

Thanks for the hyperbole, very useful.

I'm a Linux user with a Filco tenkeyless that has ... drumroll ... a windows key.  I would prefer not to have Microsoft's crappy branding but ok, it's not a show stopper for *me*  -- but I appreciate that it may be for some.  Again, my reply was about this being a forum dedicated to keyboard enthusiasts pursuing a variety of precise experiences, sometimes at great cost.  Telling people they are "whiney whiner stupid idiots who can't hold a screwdriver" because they want a slightly different keyboard experience on a keyboard forum is pretty much not so enlightened*.

*Edit: took out some harsher language, sorry.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:36:50 by doornail »

Offline whininggit

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:37:30 »
If you are afraid of the four little squares brainwashing you into installing evil closed-source Microsoft software, you could stick this over it:

Cheap and simple fix.

For the record, I use Linux as well as MS Windows (and not anti or pro either party, nor Apple), but as long as it's not an icon of a cock or swastika, I couldn't care less what is on the meta key.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2010, 11:41:54 by whininggit »
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 12:17:42 »
Quote from: doornail;153020
*Edit: took out some harsher language, sorry.

Not fair, put it back. I want my entertainment value.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2010, 12:19:59 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline elservo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 January 2010, 13:40:10 »
I missed a bunch of cussing?  Dammit, and here I was working through things like a mature individual - going to bed at a relatively reasonable hour, tending to the wife's needs, being an overall productive guy, when I could have been on geekhack watching a guy get bent out of shape over nothing!
AEKII(Home)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 14:15:29 »
I don't really care about Windows keys. They fill up a blank spot in some keyboards so what do they hurt?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 18:56:55 »
Quote from: ripster;154263
Hey handsome!  Nice windows key!

Show Image

Where do I get one? Do they make any IBM type keycaps?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline elservo

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 20:01:48 »
I really like your backlighting setup!  I'm guessing you're into macro photography, maybe a little bit?
AEKII(Home)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 20:42:57 »
Quote from: ripster;154306
Yeah but I hadn't tried this trick before.  These little remotely fired flashes come in handy for all kinds of situations.  Some people get a little obsessed with the little buggers.

Show Image

not my pic

Holy flashbulbs, batman!

Reminds me of CSI.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline pfink

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 27 January 2010, 20:45:18 »
Quote from: ripster;154268
Key page is now removed from the Deck website.  I think I might have gotten the last ones.

Looks like Performance-PCs still has some in stock:

Deck Linux Keys at Performance-PCs

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 January 2010, 03:28:42 »
Some fancy camera gear there. Maybe he should take the lens cap off though?

Offline elservo

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 February 2010, 18:50:37 »
I think he realizes he left the lens cap on in that scene.  He's all flustered over something, that crazy Dex!
AEKII(Home)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 February 2010, 10:51:20 »
That camera looks like it's going to eat me.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 01 March 2011, 10:54:30 »
Is that John Travolta second from the left?

Offline Dr.Pepper

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 March 2011, 19:19:32 »
Personally, all windows keys suck compared to the trucker girl.
Keyboards:
Das Keyboard Ultimate ( Blue switches, blank )
IBM \'91 Model M White.

Wishlist:
Deck Legend Toxic ( With "Ghetto" Reds )
Poker Keyboard

Offline PikachuDX

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 March 2011, 06:41:47 »
Back when I used to play PC games, I just used to pull the left windows key and the caps lock key off. :)