Author Topic: Calling all Vim/Vi users/fans  (Read 27646 times)

Offline codymaust

Calling all Vim/Vi users/fans
« on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:04:42 »
Just curious, how many GH'ers are vim/vi fans?? It seems to me that a passion for keyboard and the power of vim go hand in hand.

With vim/gVim as my personal editor of choice, the vimium chrome extension, and the VsVim VisualStudio extension for work, I have almost all of the bases covered.
GH just needs to implement vim keymapping to the post editor :P

Also, to facilitate more interesting discussion, what colorscheme/font do you prefer in a non-terminal setting? I'm a big fan of Solarized (Dark) and Anonymous Pro (11pt)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Calling all Vim/Vi users/fans
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:09:13 »
i use vi. i wouldn't say i'm a fan as much as i am more experienced with it than other text editors, and it comes bundled more often than any other editor. i use kate if i'm mostly working in a DE otherwise vim does the job on terminal/simple WM type environments.
the low contrast of solarized sort of messes with my eyes for some reason, whether it's light or dark. i like white or amber/yellow on black. liberation mono does an okay job. terminus is cool too but i don't remember how 'different' certain glyphs are ( for example O/0, l/I/|).
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:27:13 »
I tend to use Sublime 2 with Vintage (standard vim key bindings) enabled. I'm not really sure why, but I saw a lot of people recommend it so I decided to try it and I like the intuitive multidocument interface.
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline nullstring

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:30:12 »
gvim/vim fan here as well.

I use the exact same configuration in gvim as I do with vim.
ie. my gvim looks and feels exactly like the standard vim does when open in a terminal emulator.

Solarized looks nice though. Perhaps I should try something new.

Offline codymaust

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:39:17 »
the low contrast of solarized sort of messes with my eyes for some reason, whether it's light or dark. i like white or amber/yellow on black. liberation mono does an okay job. terminus is cool too but i don't remember how 'different' certain glyphs are ( for example O/0, l/I/|).
Now that you mention it, I really don't like how low the contrast is for commented code.. I was using desert in gVim for a while before that which I liked.

It's nice to have the same scheme across the board though, and I found an excellent solarized scheme for VS.

I use the exact same configuration in gvim as I do with vim.
ie. my gvim looks and feels exactly like the standard vim does when open in a terminal emulator.

Solarized looks nice though. Perhaps I should try something new.
I really like the simplicity of white on black, I just  have a hard time looking at it for long periods of time.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:52:37 »
I tend to use Sublime 2 with Vintage (standard vim key bindings) enabled. I'm not really sure why, but I saw a lot of people recommend it so I decided to try it and I like the intuitive multidocument interface.

Whoa, this looks interesting.
The "project" interface looks like it might be a good middleground between eclipse and gvim.
There are a few things that I can hopefully reconfigure, but the configuration model looks like extensible, so I am hopeful it will support it.

EDIT: Does sublime text have an IRC channel?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:58:42 by nullstring »

Offline nullstring

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 21:56:20 »
Looks like there are a few things that don't work out of the box:
md  d'd doesn't work for instance.

HMMM

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:12:09 »
I am elvis fan (another vi clone).  Because it has better indentation control and something else that eludes me for the moment.

I usually use PuTTY to access various GNU/Linux boxen, and a solarized-like colour theme works well for me.

I tried Sublime Text 2 on my quest for a cross-platform syntax-highlighting text editor, but more or less dropped it for a few reasons, including the clunky configuration (call me lazy, but it seems half way between a GUI config editor and a flat text file).  Also find/replace works weird and less flexible, IMHO, compared to a few other editors I have been using.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:39:11 »
I've tried various other editors, including emacs, but I always come back to vim.  vi command emulation in other editors has always been missing something or other that I use constantly.

My font is Consolas, and I have a script that chooses a random colorscheme at every invocation.  Solarized is too washed out for me.  asmdev2 and candycode spring to mind as schemes I like a lot.

Here's a question for the rest of you: do you open many vim instances as you move from file to file, or do have one vim with lots of buffers open?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 22:51:52 »
(Responding as an elvis user) depending on what I am doing, usually I just have one terminal window open to the server I am working on, in which case multiple buffers in one elvis instance.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:09:16 »
Coming soon:

11370-0

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:09:54 »
I used 237 before I used 6, i like 6 better.  :cool:

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 23:13:26 »
Glow in the Dark is hard to capture!

11372-0

Offline codymaust

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:05:12 »
I remember seeing those on some online shop a few months back.. Techkeys maybe? Looks good

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 00:24:36 »
i3oilermaker == techkeys

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 16:51:52 »
Coming soon:

(Attachment Link)

I already have 2 of those!

*EDIT*: Oops. I have 2 of the non glow-in-the-dark version. nice!

Here's a question for the rest of you: do you open many vim instances as you move from file to file, or do have one vim with lots of buffers open?

Multiple buffers, all the way. I've been tweaking my vim installation for the last 5 years. I'm absolutely lost on default vim installations :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2013, 16:53:29 by daerid »

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 21:17:02 »
no bites?
not even a nibble?
how about 994?
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 21:41:18 »
I love vim :)

Offline nar

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 23:31:30 »
I use vim, I actually have it set up with plugins to let me emulate Source Insight, even helped a bit with a plugin to duplicate the context window (Click on any keyword, a small buffer in the bottom automatically opens the definition and displays it).

Now if only they had those vim keycaps for Topre too.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 01:00:48 »
I'm absolutely lost on default vim installations :(

one of the biggest reasons i USE vim is that i've learned 'defaults' and thus my minimal skills are somewhat portable. that alone has pretty much dissuaded me from customizing it for fear of getting lost :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 01:01:19 »
I use vim, I actually have it set up with plugins to let me emulate Source Insight, even helped a bit with a plugin to duplicate the context window (Click on any keyword, a small buffer in the bottom automatically opens the definition and displays it).

no. no novelty keys for topre. baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 02:10:07 »
one of the biggest reasons i USE vim is that i've learned 'defaults' and thus my minimal skills are somewhat portable. that alone has pretty much dissuaded me from customizing it for fear of getting lost :P

Oh, I can get by on default vim, but it's painful after a few minutes.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 03:48:19 »

Except for a CC or two ...

Offline Amarok

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 13:49:45 »
I like vim quite a bit. I mostly use it in Linux, but have been wanting to try the extension for visual studio in windows to see how I like it.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline mztriz

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:40:51 »
I've used quite a few text editors, but I always end up going back to Vim.  It has a wonderful plugin selection and is really easy to customize to my needs.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:43:09 »

Except for a CC or two ...
i've got one click clack on my keyboard but it's not a skull, and it's almost exactly the same color as the rest of my keys :P

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 18:12:45 »
I use vim whenever I have mass editing to do and bulk data manipulation.
other than that I visit *vi* less often and spend more time with ultraedit.
More

Offline deegaf

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 04:08:28 »

Oooh that's cool.  I use Sublime 2 more than I do vim because I'm a lot faster in it.   I use it with iTerm and split panes when I do fiddle with VIM.  I don't really know how to Tmux.   

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 18:57:52 »
vim or gedit depending on the way I feel and what I need to do.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 07:09:35 »
Vim only for administration stuff in CLI, because I'm too lazy to configure it properly. Kate/Komodo/NetBeans/... otherwise. Sublime has always immediately crashed on my system.

Offline gvfarns

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 22:34:49 »
Vim is the ultimate.  I don't care for gvim, though.  Takes me out of my comfy terminal and it feels like it starts up too slowly.  Those milliseconds count!  If they didn't I'd be using xemacs in viper mode again, like I did when I was new to the world of text editors.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 02:45:15 »
I salute you, vim-brother!  I love gvim, personally.  It just feels snappier and has better colors.  Load time isn't really an issue for me as I tend to have one main editor instance open for weeks at a time.

Offline iri

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 14:15:19 »
i don't even have gvim installed.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline lutherus

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 14:49:39 »
VIM user from Croatia reporting for duty

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline osi

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 06:36:04 »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:11:52 »
I've always said that the one thing keeping me in Vim (as opposed to another editor with vim bindings) is the lack of support for vim-surround.

Whelp, looks like I'm giving Atom a try, since it has vim bindings and a vim-surround plugin. Will report back after a bit.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:18:35 »
For the curious, here is what looks like a reasonable vim tutorial:

https://danielmiessler.com/study/vim/

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 21:21:38 »

I learned by using vimtutor, which ships with Vim on Debian.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Sangscienta

• I'm a person. That's pretty much it.
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:13:41 »
I mostly use vi for work, when I need to edit configurations on linux machines. I'm still very fresh on it, and it still cramps my brain, but i'm improving slowly. Still, I prefer text editor, mainly notepad++ / Scite. But in time that may change.
G80-3000 / Turtle Beach Impact 500 / Novatouch

Offline iri

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:19:52 »
vim is exactly the text editor.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 00:50:20 »
Vim user for about five years here. I just converted from using pathogen to Vundle, and I'm a big fan of almost any plugin that tpope writes. I haven't started writing any plugins, and probably won't for a long time, mostly because I have found everything I need in the plethora of existing plugins.

I will say that the 'Learning Vi/Vim' book, as well as the 'sed/awk' book by O'Reilly can really help with learning the editor, as well as regex, which can help quite a bit when searching in files with Vim.

I have never used ViEmu, but certainly enjoy VsVim for Visual Studio code editing.

Ever since I read http://stevelosh.com/blog/2010/09/coming-home-to-vim/, I have been using the 'molokai' color scheme, found at http://bitbucket.org/sjl/dotfiles/src/tip/vim/colors/molokai.vim
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 00:53:07 by tjcertified »

Offline Toggi3

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 04:49:02 »
Im a recent convert honestly, but after getting over the wall of pain getting used to vim i like it more every day.  I am building my own 60% keyboard with keycaps around vim.  Im also trying to gauge interest in another marketplace ic thread i created.  Shameless plus, sorry, but you guys might want to go check it out. :)

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 11:10:24 »
I used to be an Emacs.  Now I'm a Vim, for more than ten years now.  Vim on, brothers and sisters!

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:36:21 »

"Kana the Wizard" that has no 日本語 whatsoever, I call BS  ;D
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 14:53:41 »
vim macros + the `norm` command absolutely destroy repetitive text manipulation.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline n__dles

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:06:57 »
I used to be an Emacs.  Now I'm a Vim, for more than ten years now.  Vim on, brothers and sisters!
I use Emacs. I'm now seriously considering 'switching' to VI. By switching I mean using evil mode inside emacs (vi keystrokes). The chording is hurting my hands, and probably slowing my already slow typing down.

Both are great editors or they wouldn't have lasted 30+ years, they will likely be the only two editors that currently exist that will be relevant in another 30 years.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:25:49 »
I use Dvorak, and I've messed around with vim a couple of times. Unfortunately it's a lot less intuitive with the dvorak keyboard, but it seems like it could be just as effective.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 16:03:25 »