Author Topic: Tex Beetle is really well made! Highly Recommend!  (Read 2730 times)

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
Tex Beetle is really well made! Highly Recommend!
« on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 14:39:04 »
I've started to collect compact mechanical keyboards in search of a "HOST" keyboard for my new Mark 3 typewriter mod, and I have to say, Tex Beetle is amazing.  This is in comparison to the Noppo Choco Mini 84, The KBT 60% PBT, and HHKB lite 2.

I've been typing on it for several weeks and its thick aluminum face plate and cherry blacks, all add up to an impressive keyboard. I think I will be keeping this around.  I just can't bring myself to mod it.  I'll have to get another one! :) 

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:08:26 by SonicRevolution »
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Tex Beetle is really well made! Highly Recommend!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 14:40:22 »
Forum uses bbcode and not html :(

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:02:25 »
Oh oops! didn't know!  I'll try it! Thanks!
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:24:48 »
okay image fixed  Thanks for the tip!
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:26:11 »
How are you adjusting to the right side of the board? And the tiny space bar?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:42:43 »
Glad to see another endorsement of the Tex Beetle. I get the sense that its developer is striving to make a high-quality product, and that future models from his company might be even better. The main thing holding me back is that I like to mod my keyboards by replacing dark keycaps with two-tone beige and gray with black or blue legends, and the Beetle has a number of non-standard keys that would be difficult to replace. Any thoughts on sources of keycap sets for the Beetle?

Another issue I have with the Beetle is that although it has dedicated arrow keys, there are some changes I would like to make in the Fn layer to make it more intuitive, at least for me. However, I think that Tex might be coming out with firmware downloads to change the layout in various ways. The company has definitely been receptive to customer feedback, and I notice that the Beetle has been adopted for redistribution by Qwerkeys in the UK.

The Beetle does look like a solid product, and the more I see positive recommendations like yours, the more I am inclined to give it a try.

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 16:48:28 »
Yeah, I know what you mean by that. :)  I guess because change my keyboards often, it doesn't bother me as much?  I mean, it definitely is a nuisance when you start miss typing and/or feel like keys are not quite where they are supposed to be.

But no, it's been wonderful!
SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 11:21:53 »
Agreed on the function layer. I love the dual function keys, but then they didn't add any functions on the left side except for the oddly misplaced delete. I'm hoping for an updated firmware in the future to move a few things around.

Keycaps are a little weird, but if you don't mind blanks it shouldn't be a problem. The 2 space shift should be identical to the numpad 0 key. The short spacebar is the only thing I'm not sure about. I think the new Pure 2 or whatever it is called uses the same size, so hopefully there will be some options in the future.

Offline HoosTrax

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 11:42:17 »
This looks like it might actually be serviceable as a gaming keyboard. The short spacebar might actually make it more well suited for FPS gaming, and the arrows are a normal layout, instead of some of the bizarre offset configurations I've seen on some 60% keyboards.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 11:54:24 »
Good point about the short spacebar. I think it would also be fine for normal typing, not just gaming. In fact, even a  really short space bar like the one on the Filco Minila would be okay with me, and reviewers who have tried the keyboard say that they were initially worried about the short space bar, but after trying it, they discovered it was not a problem at all. A shorter spacebar means a shorter stabilizer, which ought to result in smoother operation.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:15:10 »
I'm really craving for a Tex Beetle with Reds...

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 14:33:37 »
I recently bought a Tex Beetle. The build quality and appearance are stellar. Typing presents some problems for me because of the small right-shift key and the slightly displaced staggering in the Z-row, but I really like having the dedicated arrow cluster. Eventually, I would like to get some dye-sub PBT keycaps for the Beetle, but the stock keycaps look so good I do not feel an immediate need to replace them. Overall, an excellent keyboard.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:51:32 »
This looks like it might actually be serviceable as a gaming keyboard. The short spacebar might actually make it more well suited for FPS gaming, and the arrows are a normal layout, instead of some of the bizarre offset configurations I've seen on some 60% keyboards.

So you'd prefer the whole offset bottom (Z) row? 

No doubt, not having that slight extra bit on the right side (Leo 660 like) looks better...but moving an entire row over doesn't seem like a better situation...especially for those that know how to type.....

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:47:40 »
I hope you guys don't mind a noob question.....but where can I buy this? I'm in Asia and can arrange PP and such, really like the looks of the TEX Beetle......

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:10:20 »
I hope you guys don't mind a noob question.....but where can I buy this? I'm in Asia and can arrange PP and such, really like the looks of the TEX Beetle......

Got mine in the USA from Mechanicalkeyboards.com. Tex-design.com.tw is in Taiwan; you might contact them to ask about Asian distributors. I think that they have made the Tex Beetle widely available throughout the world.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:21:33 »

Got mine in the USA from Mechanicalkeyboards.com. Tex-design.com.tw is in Taiwan; you might contact them to ask about Asian distributors. I think that they have made the Tex Beetle widely available throughout the world.
Thanks, I did a search here because I recall one of the members here, Justin I believe, is the one who makes this awesome KBs. But for the life f me, I can't find the thread where he had left his email address, all I get are links to this thread.....I must be doing something wrong. :confused:

Offline QueenXenon

• Polymer Princess
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:22:24 »
Typing presents some problems for me because of the small right-shift key

I have significant confidence in the accuracy and precision of my spacebar presses (and like the idea of losing the stabilizers) but I know when I go to feel for my right shift and hit a 1x1 I still can't convince myself that's it and end up looking down at my board like a fool

Offline justin.wu

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Less is more
    • TEX
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 21:30:24 »
Hi !! you find me !!

I have already reply your message , if you have any question just ask me :)

Thanks, I did a search here because I recall one of the members here, Justin I believe, is the one who makes this awesome KBs. But for the life f me, I can't find the thread where he had left his email address, all I get are links to this thread.....I must be doing something wrong. :confused:
make different

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 07:46:26 »
Hi Justin, have received your email, now comtemplating the Tex and a Leopold.....so, as usual, I'd be doing my mental masturbation thing. :-\