Author Topic: How key caps are made?  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Cafiend

How key caps are made?
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:32:09 »
I do apologize if there is a thread for this. But I am really curious on how these caps are made. I hear plastics,and molds and all that stuff and it just has my mind going bonkers.

Are there any videos or pics of key caps being made? And this is totally not to criticize but to get a feel for the process.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: How key caps are made?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:32:43 »
Gnomes

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:34:09 »

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:40:54 »
Jesus christ..  3 months to do all of that? lol.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:42:14 »
3 months to do all of that? lol.

To do that thousands of times lol.

And most production is like 6 weeks or so.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:45:52 »
LOL you can't really see what happens.  Put some plastic bits on the little studs, then a big yellow thing comes up, then keycaps!

I reckon the yellow box is full of gnomes!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 20:51:46 »
Gnomes and solanoids!

Offline Cafiend

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:00:24 »
I figure that we have enough knowledge and maybe funds to make a Geekhack plant. Most of us will work for key caps ;)

But seriously doing that a thousand times has to be crazy and dealing with 100 different vendors and orders. The plastic that they use has me curious too. Is is used for anything else?

I was watching Fringe season 5 and for some reason I thought about this...maybe because I saw the lazer they were using.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:05:08 »
I figure that we have enough knowledge and maybe funds to make a Geekhack plant. Most of us will work for key caps ;)

But seriously doing that a thousand times has to be crazy and dealing with 100 different vendors and orders. The plastic that they use has me curious too. Is is used for anything else?

I was watching Fringe season 5 and for some reason I thought about this...maybe because I saw the lazer they were using.

they use ABS and PBT which is used for pretty much everything solid plasticy you see around you. (next for PE, PVC, and PS)
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:09:00 by gnubag »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:10:27 »

I think we can consider SP to be the geekhack plant haha

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:13:31 »

Not as much these days, not since we found out about GMK (and BSP).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 21:56:27 »

Oh I much prefer GMK.

But SP offers a huge variety between profiles, colors, etc and seem to be great to work with.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:08:51 »

Oh I much prefer GMK.

But SP offers a huge variety between profiles, colors, etc and seem to be great to work with.

Me too, at the end of the day we're very lucky to have SP around. Vast majority of sets would probably never hit the GMK MOQ so I'm glad we have the choice :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 22:38:54 »
Not disputing that at all! :)

SP is great for smaller orders and have put up with a lot of that from GH over the years.  And choice of colour too.  And maybe Cherry legends soon as well!

Most of the novelty keycaps I have are from SP - no complaints at all.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:59:12 »

It's too bad that they cost roughly $∞ unless you buy a zillion of them...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:08:15 »

lol whut?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:11:51 »

lol whut?

That was a lemniscate, not two zeros.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:16:01 »

lol whut?

I just didn't know what you were talking about.... ::)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 12:22:39 »

lol whut?

OH! The caps, not the company! I'd imagine that SP would cost quite a lot to buy.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 12:29:48 »

lol whut?

OH! The caps, not the company! I'd imagine that SP would cost quite a lot to buy.

You never know what mkawa might try to do hahaha ;)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 12:32:21 »

lol whut?

You never know what mkawa might try to do hahaha ;)
I wonder if bunny would buy them then give it away...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013