Author Topic: My buying experience with GMarket  (Read 13344 times)

Offline fkeidjn

My buying experience with GMarket
« on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 00:54:21 »
This is my rather rough draft.  I'll edit it sometime, if people want.

I found the Korean site GMarket an odd place to navigate through and deal with.

First things that I needed to already have:
- PayPal
- Internet Explorer (or IE Tabs on Firefox) in order to bargain/buy.
- Persistent haggling with the seller to get the best bang for the buck.

The Realforce didn't pop up in the search results from http://global.gmarket.co.kr/ (which is the English language page), so I had to look for it through the regular Korean language page (http://gmarket.co.kr/).  I clicked on the page from the search result and changed the www at the beginning of the address to global to get the page in English.  So far so good.

Bargaining wasn't as smooth as I expected it to be.  First I registered (of course).  Bargaining on GMarket is similar to Best Offer on eBay:
- On eBay, the offer you enter is a "binding contract."  Therefore, if the seller accepts, you have to pay for it.
- On GMarket though, you prepare the bargaining payment through PayPal.  Then when the seller accepts, the payment is completed.

(By the way, the seller chips8812 is the only one that I know of at the moment that ships worldwide.)

Even though the seller shipped EMS, dealing with shipping payment was a drag.  For me, I needed to pay an extra 2400 Won because the pre-shipping cost I paid "wasn't enough" for the seller to cover the entire cost.  If you don't pay up, your buyer rating goes down.  According to their step-by-step instructions, you have to pay by sending an independent payment through PayPal.  It takes a few days for the PayPal payment to show up on your account page, so patience is a virtue (I guess).

Tracking is even more of a drag, though you can track it through the English site.  To make things smoother for you, you can find the EMS number by clicking on the "Tracking" button within the International Shipping Cost section of your order confirmation page.  Any other tracking button eventually leads you back to the GMarket homepage.  Stupid...

Do follow the the price of the Korean won.  I use Yahoo Finance to check.  It's currently at US$1 for about 1474.8 won.  I got my Realforce 86UKB when the US dollar was worth 1450 won.  And when the price changes, it takes about a day or two for the price to take effect on the GMarket site.  You're going to have to pay an extra few thousand won though for what I'm assuming is a hidden service fee.  Not a big problem though.  As the price of the Japanese Yen keeps increasing, and the price of the Korean won decreasing, now is a good time.  Waiting more could even be better, but that's a gamble.

Overall, I encountered too many bugs within their system.  It's not as refined as Amazon or eBay.  They really have to correct those lousy bugs.  Anyway though, I hope my buying experience with GMarket will make your buying experience there a smoother ride.

Items of interest from the seller chips8812:
Realforce 86UKB, with red escape and Hangul printed on the opposite corner of the alpha keys, also offered in white
Realforce 103, also with red escape and Hangul printed on the opposite corner of the alpha keys, also offered in white
Filco Majestouch "Tenkeyless", offered in black, brown, and blue Cherries

Some Korean terms you will encounter when making your selection on the product pages, which I translated with Babelfish and Google Translate, then edited to make sense
For the Realforce 86:
블랙 - black
화이트 - white

For the Filco:
넌클릭 (갈색축) - "The click which spreads out" (brown Cherries)
리니어 (흑색축) - linear (black Cherries)
클릭 (청색축) - click (blue Cherries)

Here's the original translation by Babelfish:
Quote from: Babelfish
Black
White

The click (brown axis) which spreads out
[ni] [e] (black axis)
Click (blue axis)

And the one by Google Translate:
Quote from: Google Translate
Black.
White.

Neonkeulrik (galsaekchuk).
Linear (heuksaekchuk).
Click (cheongsaekchuk).

One important thing that I thought was just a one time mistake.  You might receive a shipping difference notice through email, saying that you ordered sunglasses...???  You should email GMarket, and say that you didn't order sunglasses.  Hopefully, if enough people complain the same thing to these bozo employees, then they'll do something about it.  Thanks to alexlzl for mentioning this.
Quote from: fkeidjn
Quote from: alexlzl;14111
Things are getting weird. GMarket sent me an email saying that there is a W2400 difference in international shipping charge I need to pay before they ship the item (seems they got the local shipment from the seller already). However:

1. The order item shows as "Women sunglasses ...." in the email. :confused: Though the order number is correct, and My GMarket still shows "Topre Realforce 86KB Black" as the item. Hopefully I won't get a pairs of Women sunglasses for $250 ...

That's what I meant by the shipping difference.  About the sunglasses:

What???  You too?  I thought it was just a one time mistake.  This could either be machine error, or a dumb employee forwarding the same message of shipping difference without changing the order details.  They should email you back to disregard that the email is for sunglasses.

Just to be on the safe side, wait for the package to arrive, then pay for the difference.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 03:14:36 »
Thank you so much for sharing the experience. I am just thinking about buying a black Realforce from GMarket.:)
Using: Kinesis Contoured (Cherry Brown)
Own:  Realforce 86UK
Wish: Ergo layout Realforce

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 03:50:35 »
Seems somewhat... shady.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 07:29:50 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;13572
Seems somewhat... shady.

lol, since that's what I forgot to mention as well...
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 07:38:00 »
How was communication with the seller? Were they prompt to respond?

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 08:31:10 »
Quote from: Chloe;13621
How was communication with the seller? Were they prompt to respond?

The seller himself was pretty prompt with bargaining responses.  Within about an hour or two for a response.  Just make sure about the time zones and their hours of operation, which I'm assuming is from 9am-6pm.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 08:41:25 »
Thanks fkeidjn. If I've sent payment I expect to hear from the seller within 24 hours unless it's the weekend. I like to be kept informed at every stage. I think it's just courtesy to let the buyer know when you've shipped etc.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 08:50:22 »
Quote from: Chloe;13628
Thanks fkeidjn. If I've sent payment I expect to hear from the seller within 24 hours unless it's the weekend. I like to be kept informed at every stage. I think it's just courtesy to let the buyer know when you've shipped etc.

whatever you're buying, be sure to review it here! :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 09:13:57 »
Quote from: Chloe;13628

I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if they're open on Saturdays or Sundays.

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 09:14:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869;13630
whatever you're buying, be sure to review it here! :)

Will do! I keep meaning to post some reviews.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 December 2008, 09:16:55 »
I've edited my first post to include some Korean terms, so one won't have go through the trouble of copying and pasting links.

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 01:11:14 »
Just placed an order for a Realforce 86UK from seller "chips8812". :)

The payment through PayPal window is a bit scary (it didn't show the exact item confirmation page after login), neither did I get a chance to view to whom the payment will be made to. After the payment, it didn't reflect on gmarket site either. Made me almost want to call someone to cancel the payment.

Anyhow, seems they got the money (I don't see the history in gmarket at all), and the item is shipped (within 10 hours after the order is placed). I couldn't get to the tracking page yet (nothing under my "International Shipping Cost" section). Praying ....

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 01:38:19 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13845
Just placed an order for a Realforce 86UK from seller "chips8812". :)

The payment through PayPal window is a bit scary (it didn't show the exact item confirmation page after login), neither did I get a chance to view to whom the payment will be made to. After the payment, it didn't reflect on gmarket site either. Made me almost want to call someone to cancel the payment.

Anyhow, seems they got the money (I don't see the history in gmarket at all), and the item is shipped (within 10 hours after the order is placed). I couldn't get to the tracking page yet (nothing under my "International Shipping Cost" section). Praying ....

It really is suspicious, but I took the risk, knowing that I have PayPal to complain incessantly to if I have a problem.

It's Monday afternoon over there at the time I'm writing it.  When they send it, they should have a tracking number, likely EMS.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 01:53:43 »
Quote from: alexlzl;13845

Your Paypal payment probably won't appear in your GMarket account.  But it'll still work out.  It did for my order (also from 'chips8812').

Your order is probably shipped by chips8812 to GMarket.  When GMarket receives it they'll repackage it and send it to you.  At that point you should be able to get the EMS tracking number.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 02:05:54 »
I got mine from some Korean dude.  It didn't say GMarket anywhere on the packaging.  So I'm assuming you're going to get it straight from the seller.  I too got it from chips8812

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 03:54:16 »
I really like how sketchy this site is, and that they seem to give better service than BeNippon.

If you want to see how a site like this should be run, buy something from J-Goods. They sent me a PDF with my order - price in Yen and US dollars, item numbers with pictures of the items, and every address involved in the thing, and this is before I paid them. Afterward, they send an email a day until they had a tracking number just to let me know they will give me the tracking number when they get it. Then I get the tracking number but you can't track EMS after the package is handed to USPS. Anyway, I'm going to buy from J-Goods again because of how this purchase went for me.

And BTW, the order I'm talking about was for my 86U's roof and key locks.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 05:36:33 »
Then I get the tracking number but you can't track EMS after the package is handed to USPS
I think when I got my HHKB I got a new tracking number when I called DHL (german parcel/postal service) and gave them the EMS number.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline skriefal

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 December 2008, 08:50:53 »
Quote from: fkeidjn;13852
I got mine from some Korean dude.  It didn't say GMarket anywhere on the packaging.  So I'm assuming you're going to get it straight from the seller.  I too got it from chips8812

My ordered arrived in a GMarket box with the original package (from chips8812) inside, still unopened.  Open the outer box, open chips8812's box, and finally open the retail keyboard packaging to get at the prize. :)

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 02:09:50 »
Things are getting weird. GMarket sent me an email saying that there is a W2400 difference in international shipping charge I need to pay before they ship the item (seems they got the local shipment from the seller already). However:

1. The order item shows as "Women sunglasses ...." in the email. :confused: Though the order number is correct, and My GMarket still shows "Topre Realforce 86KB Black" as the item. Hopefully I won't get a pairs of Women sunglasses for $250 ...

2. When I log into Gmarket account following the instructions in the email, I couldn't find anywhere a button named "Pay" to pay for that W2400.

3. However the order tracking number shows it has been shipped. In GAccount  cash balance tab, it shows that they "debited" W2400 already? I am not aware that they can charge my PayPal account without my involvement?

Anyway, I dropped a message to customer service and is waiting for the reply. Damn it.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 08:56:53 »
There is a button to pay shipping differences, but I don't recall ATM what the button is labeled.

IIRC, for differences of less than W2500 or so they'll go ahead and ship the item.  They're trusting that you'll actually pay the addition shipping cost (which in this case is $2.00 or so).

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 09:05:40 »
Quote from: lowpoly;13865
I think when I got my HHKB I got a new tracking number when I called DHL (german parcel/postal service) and gave them the EMS number.

I will try this with Royal Mail/Parcel Force the next time I use EMS tracked. :)

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 10:25:41 »
Quote from: skriefal;14133
There is a button to pay shipping differences, but I don't recall ATM what the button is labeled.

IIRC, for differences of less than W2500 or so they'll go ahead and ship the item.  They're trusting that you'll actually pay the addition shipping cost (which in this case is $2.00 or so).

You are right, they shipped the package according to EMS. I managed to deposit W2400 into my GCash account through Paypal ($1.72), but couldn't use it to balance my negative cash balance. Anyhow, left two customer support messages to them to resolve it. So far, no response yet. ;)

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 December 2008, 11:12:32 »
Quote from: alexlzl;14111

That's what I meant by the shipping difference.  About the sunglasses:

What???  You too?  I thought it was just a one time mistake.  This could either be machine error, or a dumb employee forwarding the same message of shipping difference without changing the order details.  They should email you back to disregard that the email is for sunglasses.

Just to be on the safe side, wait for the package to arrive, then pay for the difference.

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 December 2008, 22:55:20 »
My Realforce 86UK (black Korean version) arrived today (US). It total took just 1 week from when I ordered, and the cost is just around $250, much less than beNippon.

Well, how do I put it, it is simply the best keyboard I have ever typed on !!!!! Amazing, I am going to order a HHKB Pro 2 soon simply because of I love the feeling of the keys.

Thank you so much for sharing the gmarket experience, it definitely helped quite a lot.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:28:13 »
Quote from: alexlzl;14530
My Realforce 86UK (black Korean version) arrived today (US). It total took just 1 week from when I ordered, and the cost is just around $250, much less than beNippon.

Well, how do I put it, it is simply the best keyboard I have ever typed on !!!!! Amazing, I am going to order a HHKB Pro 2 soon simply because of I love the feeling of the keys.

Thank you so much for sharing the gmarket experience, it definitely helped quite a lot.

You're welcome.  I'm glad to have helped somebody ;)

Offline Chloe

• Switch Kitten
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 December 2008, 00:53:21 »
Quote from: alexlzl;14530

Did yours come with a red Escape key?

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 02:34:44 »
Quote from: Chloe;14543

Mine did, and since he ordered from the same seller, he should have gotten the same accessories as well, including the red escape key.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 02:40:57 »
$#@^%^%@^@!$#^@%^^$#!!!!!!

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 13:27:04 »
Quote from: Chloe;14543

Yes, it is well packaged and comes with all the accessories, including:

- Red Escape key
- Additional Control and Caps Lock key
- Three key locks
- One keycap puller with steel wire, one keycap puller all metal U shape
- Manual in Korean about DIP switch etc

Of course, since it is Korean version, on every alphabetic key there is a small Korean character on the side. But since it is a black version, they are hardly noticeable.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 13:43:28 »
I also l like watches with a red second hand :)

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 19:05:20 »
Quote from: alexlzl;14746
Yes, it is well packaged and comes with all the accessories, including:

- Red Escape key
- Additional Control and Caps Lock key
- Three key locks
- One keycap puller with steel wire, one keycap puller all metal U shape
- Manual in Korean about DIP switch etc

Of course, since it is Korean version, on every alphabetic key there is a small Korean character on the side. But since it is a black version, they are hardly noticeable.

That pisses me off. The 86U I paid $40 more for came with a keypuller (which is worth MY weight in gold) and two keys. To make matters worse, I read that the first run of these 86Us were a special edition with a change in the keys coming out for the second batch (Japanese characters as well as "romaji") and that never happened.

It came with:
No red Esc key
No keylocks (funny how I'm using three of them ...)
Only one keypuller

Why does Topre gotta fist my bunghole like this?

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 December 2008, 22:40:01 »
Perhaps they are just trying to open Korea market? Though this Korean model is also made in Japan, is it possible they saved on some parts to lower the cost? That is usually the Japanese business model: save the best for local market, export the second grade stuff. :)

I am also surprised that they don't make black English version. However, from the picture on GMarket, that black realforce actually only has English characters on the keycap. Such a mystery.

By the way, due to weakened US$, now Realforce 86U is priced at $280 on benippon (plus shipping will be $330). So this gmarket is a pretty sweet deal.