Author Topic: Geekhack magic players  (Read 56447 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Geekhack magic players
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 22:07:23 »
Duels is fine if you want to get started, however playing with friends through the free online clients like untap is better later on.
It's also good to have friends in town to play with.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 23:01:08 »
I started with Alpha, stopped playing around Mirage, and stopped collecting at Stronghold.  The rule changes that attempted to resolve the interrupts vs instants (IIRC) was kind of the last straw that ruined the game for me.  Keeping up with expansions became a chore too.   It seemed like the more the game evolved, the less fun it became.  Those early years (Alpha through Ice Age) were some of the best gaming I ever had though.   Before tight 60 card decks with cards limited to 4 copies, we could rarely trim our decks down to 120 cards. We took the kitchen sink approach to deck building.  I wrote a letter (yes, on paper) to Richard Garfield about the arms race affecting the enjoyability of the game and he actually responded back to me -- something to the effect that playing for ante mitigates the arms race.  No one played for ante.  There was no way in hell we were going to risk losing our cards.  Although, some people played a version of the rules in which they burned, or otherwise destroyed their cards when they went to the graveyard.  I can't remember what that version was called.  I'd be semi-rich if I held onto my cards.  I once sold four moxes for $20 each.  That was their market value at the time.  But I stopped caring about selling my cards so early over a decade ago.  No point in playing the "what if" game.  I can only imagine the game now feels nothing like it did 20 years ago.

Offline Simplicity

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 23:24:40 »
I love playing MTG, my brothers got me to start playing around the time M14 came out and I've been hooked ever since.

@Hwood I highly suggest playing DoTP 2014 on steam/ipad/whatever to get the basics and go here to find a store where you can play. Right now there's a new set coming out called Fate reforged and stores usually have pre-release events a week before their official release (which would be this weekend) and these events are usually a great place to play no matter what skill level as you don't need any pre owned cards to play and people in the MTG community are really welcoming to newbies and everyone is usually there to just have fun and play with the new cards. You can read more about that here.

On the note on Fate reforged, is anyone else planning to go to a pre release? I haven't missed a pre release yet and this is no exception. Going to be choosing Temur as my clan and hopefully i'll crack some cards that will let me play it  :D

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:39:34 »
I love playing MTG, my brothers got me to start playing around the time M14 came out and I've been hooked ever since.

@Hwood I highly suggest playing DoTP 2014 on steam/ipad/whatever to get the basics and go here to find a store where you can play. Right now there's a new set coming out called Fate reforged and stores usually have pre-release events a week before their official release (which would be this weekend) and these events are usually a great place to play no matter what skill level as you don't need any pre owned cards to play and people in the MTG community are really welcoming to newbies and everyone is usually there to just have fun and play with the new cards. You can read more about that here.

On the note on Fate reforged, is anyone else planning to go to a pre release? I haven't missed a pre release yet and this is no exception. Going to be choosing Temur as my clan and hopefully i'll crack some cards that will let me play it  :D

Don't go to a prerelease without knowing the basic mechanics of the game. These are limited events meaning you will open packs and build a deck from what you receive and while they are very beginner friendly events since no one has played with the cards, it is still a disservice to you and everyone else to go in without any experience.

Unfortunately I will not be able to go to this prerelease :'( I've been on internship out in Indiana and this Friday is my last day so I'll be moving back up to school over the weekend.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Simplicity

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:49:38 »

Don't go to a prerelease without knowing the basic mechanics of the game. These are limited events meaning you will open packs and build a deck from what you receive and while they are very beginner friendly events since no one has played with the cards, it is still a disservice to you and everyone else to go in without any experience.

Unfortunately I will not be able to go to this prerelease :'( I've been on internship out in Indiana and this Friday is my last day so I'll be moving back up to school over the weekend.

I agree, I meant to add that in my comment - just forgot  :-[. But  I still highly suggest to find a store near you after getting a hold of the basics and buying some intro deck and ask random people to play with you/ teach you a few things since from experience people have no problem spending 20mins with a random newbies playing/teaching stuff about the game.

Ah that timing sucks, at least you still have game day to go to!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:53:56 »

I agree, I meant to add that in my comment - just forgot  :-[. But  I still highly suggest to find a store near you after getting a hold of the basics and buying some intro deck and ask random people to play with you/ teach you a few things since from experience people have no problem spending 20mins with a random newbies playing/teaching stuff about the game.

Ah that timing sucks, at least you still have game day to go to!

At least I get to go back to a place where I can play legacy on a regular basis :D
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:22:25 »
I'm likely going to prerelease. There seems to be a lot of cards which can bounce creatures to the hand. This would work well to bounce your creatures with bolster as well as manifested noncreature spells. Very draft oriented stuff going on here.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:26:55 »
I'm likely going to prerelease. There seems to be a lot of cards which can bounce creatures to the hand. This would work well to bounce your creatures with bolster as well as manifested noncreature spells. Very draft oriented stuff going on here.

This limited format looks really complicated. There seems to be a ton of stuff going on, which in my opinion is pretty cool.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:31:02 »

This limited format looks really complicated. There seems to be a ton of stuff going on, which in my opinion is pretty cool.

Mardu control was interesting when I used it in limited. However, I have no idea how FRF is going to play out.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:38:55 »

Mardu control was interesting when I used it in limited. However, I have no idea how FRF is going to play out.

I was a big fan of jeskai in khans limited. Just small efficient dudes and removal spells.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline dimmu

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 09:05:56 »
mtg made up most of my gradeschool, highschool and part of my college life, tho i didn't really start entering the competitive scene til mirage. i loved the rush to getting enough points to reach nationals, the challenge of figuring out new card chemistry, the travel to different cities in search of different cards that maybe hard to find in your area, and of course the scent of a newly opened booster pack during pre release tourneys and rochester drafts.  my first real decks were a classic red green land destruction deck similar to the one posted earlier and a turbo stasis deck but it wasn't until i started building standard decks that i truly enjoyed the game.

i played alot on my necropotence deck (strip mines, hypnotic specters, hymn to tourachs) and prosperous bloom (second/third turn kill deck with drainlife)even tho i hated the very concept of them, just to win tourneys. my favorite decks were difference variance of splash survival of the fittest decks with tradewind riders, sneak attack/oath of druid decks, and tolarian academy/mind over matter loaded with 0 casting cost artifact decks.

i also loved gunslinging on grand prix tourneys where you get to challenge dci judges and win booster packs if you beat them and if they beat you, they get to pick a card from your deck (mostly just a basic land card or the cheapest card they could find), have you sign it and display it on their trophy section. i became inactive sometime after the urza block due to other more important priorities...

...half life, counter-strike beta 4, diablo 2 and quake 3 ~

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 10:50:05 »
I started with Alpha, stopped playing around Mirage, and stopped collecting at Stronghold.  The rule changes that attempted to resolve the interrupts vs instants (IIRC) was kind of the last straw that ruined the game for me.  Keeping up with expansions became a chore too.   It seemed like the more the game evolved, the less fun it became.  Those early years (Alpha through Ice Age) were some of the best gaming I ever had though.   Before tight 60 card decks with cards limited to 4 copies, we could rarely trim our decks down to 120 cards. We took the kitchen sink approach to deck building.  I wrote a letter (yes, on paper) to Richard Garfield about the arms race affecting the enjoyability of the game and he actually responded back to me -- something to the effect that playing for ante mitigates the arms race.  No one played for ante.  There was no way in hell we were going to risk losing our cards.  Although, some people played a version of the rules in which they burned, or otherwise destroyed their cards when they went to the graveyard.  I can't remember what that version was called.  I'd be semi-rich if I held onto my cards.  I once sold four moxes for $20 each.  That was their market value at the time.  But I stopped caring about selling my cards so early over a decade ago.  No point in playing the "what if" game.  I can only imagine the game now feels nothing like it did 20 years ago.
This sounds kind of like what happened to Dungeons & Dragons. Advanced D&D 1ed was THE pinnacle of paper role-playing--the golden age, as I call it. Then came 2ed...ugh. The game has been flushing itself down the cistern ever since. I don't mind, though, because I've stuck with AD&D 1ed and love it!  No need to fix something that isn't broken with a lot of feature creep. You just have to stick with the version that speaks to you and brings you the most satisfaction and fun at the end of the day. It's probably a bit more difficult with MTG because when a version is no longer in print variety becomes more scarce because you'll have to scrounge the used card bins in order to keep expanding your decks.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:02:54 »
This sounds kind of like what happened to Dungeons & Dragons. Advanced D&D 1ed was THE pinnacle of paper role-playing--the golden age, as I call it. Then came 2ed...ugh. The game has been flushing itself down the cistern ever since. I don't mind, though, because I've stuck with AD&D 1ed and love it!  No need to fix something that isn't broken with a lot of feature creep. You just have to stick with the version that speaks to you and brings you the most satisfaction and fun at the end of the day. It's probably a bit more difficult with MTG because when a version is no longer in print variety becomes more scarce because you'll have to scrounge the used card bins in order to keep expanding your decks.

I didn't mind 2e.  I quit playing at 2e, though I bought 3e, 3.5e, and 4e just to read the rules.   4e was the absolute lowest point in the history of the game.  I heard 5e is an improvement though.  Still, nothing ever felt like discovering 1e for the first time.  Basic and Expert had a magical quality too.  We ignored half the rules.  We never used weapon speed modifiers or encumbrance.  Carrying 1 million gold pieces out of a dungeon?  No problem.  As much as I loved AD&D, Shadowrun had better rules.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:32:14 »
Tinker + Blightsteel Colossus is basically my strat. Come at me.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:43:39 »

I didn't mind 2e.  I quit playing at 2e, though I bought 3e, 3.5e, and 4e just to read the rules.   4e was the absolute lowest point in the history of the game.  I heard 5e is an improvement though.  Still, nothing ever felt like discovering 1e for the first time.  Basic and Expert had a magical quality too.  We ignored half the rules.  We never used weapon speed modifiers or encumbrance.  Carrying 1 million gold pieces out of a dungeon?  No problem.  As much as I loved AD&D, Shadowrun had better rules.

I also heard that 5e made up for all the years of crapola--a push back to the olden days. I honestly never played 2,3, or 4e. Perusing the rule books were enough to set my mind uneasy. Honestly, does a player really need 3 volumes of PHB and does the DM need 3 MM and several volumes of DMG?? :mad: The DM for the main campaign that I play is a real purist and is a stickler for mostly all of the mechanics (weight management, weapon speed, spell component, etc.). I like it that way--it adds realism to the game world.

I have yet to play Shadowrun, although I've read that it's a great game. Next to D&D I enjoy Delta Green which is based on the CoC ruleset. It's an X-Files-like paranormal investigator take on the Cthulu mythos.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:52:28 »
I have a question for all you MTG experts regarding the Spectra Ward card from M15. My opponent whom I was playing against insisted that the enchantment couldn't be negated by a destroy enchantment card. If that's the case doesn't this card basically make the enchanted creature impervious to anything? :eek:
87714-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:54:45 by smarmar »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 22:05:17 »
I have a question for all you MTG experts regarding the Spectra Ward card from M15. My opponent whom I was playing against insisted that the enchantment couldn't be negated by a destroy enchantment card. If that's the case doesn't this card basically make the enchanted creature impervious to anything? :eek:
(Attachment Link)

Quote from a magic wiki:

"Protection is a static ability which means that the affected permanent has limited protection from effects of a stated quality. Protection is normally written "Protection from {quality}" (e.g. a creature with protection from black cares about effects that are black).

The abilities of protection are best summed up with the acronym "D.E.B.T.".

D - All Damage that would be dealt from sources of that quality is prevented. For example, if a creature has protection from black, it cannot be dealt damage by black creatures or spells.

E - The card cannot be Enchanted, Equipped, or Fortified by cards of that quality. For example, if a creature has protection from black, it cannot be enchanted by black enchantments; or by black equipment. If a creature gains protection from the quality after it has already been enchanted/equipped, the attached cards will detach and go where the rules would normally force them to go in that circumstance.

B - Creatures of the stated quality cannot Block the protected creature. For example, a creature with protection from black cannot be blocked by black creatures.

T - The creature can't be Targeted by sources of the named quality. For example, a creature with protection from black cannot be targeted by a Doom Blade."

Is the aura itself immune as well? I don't think it would be, but after some looking I can't fully determine the answer :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 22:10:35 by Halverson »

Offline Moralless

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 22:56:53 »
(Attachment Link)

Your opponent was wrong. The information provided was right on how protection from X works, but the enchantment itself would not have protection from colors (it just gives the target creature that) and thus be able to be destroyed by enchantment removal spells. I think he might have gotten confused on the last line where it says this enchantment doesn't remove auras, but that's just so that it won't destroy any already attached enchantments on the target creature.

Also even if Spectra Ward did have protection from colors on itself, the creature won't be impervious to everything as the creature can still die from board wipes as those types of cards are not explicitly targeting the creature.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 19:02:28 »
Thanks, guys! Everything is made crystal clear after reading your explanations. It's the folks like you that make this the best community in town! :thumb:

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:36:13 »
(Attachment Link)

I don't know how much the rules have changed since I quit playing, but back in the day, a creature with an enchantment like that would still be vulnerable to damage from artifacts and lands.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 21:40:17 »
(Attachment Link)

I don't know how much the rules have changed since I quit playing, but back in the day, a creature with an enchantment like that would still be vulnerable to damage from artifacts and lands.

Yes, this should be true.
Lands are all colorless unless specifically stated or made otherwise.
Artifacts are also for the most part colorless.
Protection from colors only means that it cannot be damaged, blocked, or targeted, or enchanted by anything except colorless spells.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 15:49:57 »
Here's another question for you MTG gurus:
If I cast Azami, Lady of Scrolls and used her ability to tap Vedalken Anatomist, could I pay the 3 mana to activate Vedalken Anatomist's ability since, technically, it's being tapped? Or is that not legal since Vedalken Anatomist isn't being tapped of its own volition and simply as a result of another action?
92971-092973-1

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 15:58:38 »
If I cast Azami, Lady of Scrolls and used her ability to tap Vedalken Anatomist, could I pay the 3 mana to activate Vedalken Anatomist's ability since, technically, it's being tapped? Or is that not legal since Vedalken Anatomist isn't being tapped of its own volition and simply as a result of another action?
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

No you cannot. Azami's ability requires a cost of tapping a wizard, and paying a cost does not allow a response (it doesn't go on the stack). Therefore with no response, you cannot activate the Veldaken's ability.

As far as your second statement goes, it's not entirely applicable in this case because again, you are paying a cost. If instead Azami's ability was:

"U: Draw a card, then tap target Wizard you control."

You could activate the ability, target your Veldaken Anatomist, and tap your Anatomist in response. Azami's ability would resolve by drawing a card, then fizzle on the tap - but that doesn't matter.

If Azami's ability was:

"U: Tap target Wizard you control, then draw a card."

If you tapped Veldaken Anatomist in response, the ability would resolve by trying to tap a wizard, fizzling, and ending (no card drawn). I would like it if someone else could confirm this one, but I think it's accurate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 16:02:03 by JinDesu »
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline smarmar

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 16:01:34 »

No you cannot. Azami's ability requires a cost of tapping a wizard, and paying a cost does not allow a response (it doesn't go on the stack). Therefore with no response, you cannot activate the Veldaken's ability.

Ah. That makes sense. There are lots and lots of technicalities to this game, I'm discovering.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:44:03 »

It still lives!  I haven't played seriously since 1998 when all my cards got stolen.. I did win the limited Missouri state championship during RGD (ravnica block), but I was just getting started playing pro tours when I got robbed at Origins in 98 >_<

I haven't played at all since my son was born pretty much, I jumped in during the Zendikar prerelease when they were doing the 'treasure' packs, opened up an Unlimited Ancestral Recall.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 19:46:01 »
If I had all my old cards NOW (I probably would have sold them in the interim, but if I did..) I could pay off our house, get a new car, and still have money left over for a couple custom keyboards and a better audio setup ;)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:04:36 »
If I had all my old cards NOW (I probably would have sold them in the interim, but if I did..) I could pay off our house, get a new car, and still have money left over for a couple custom keyboards and a better audio setup ;)

I have way too much money invested in this game...
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:07:35 »

I have way too much money invested in this game...

Trading was my favorite thing ;)

all dual lands involving island in Beta, the rest of the dual lands in Italian/German black bordered Revised, power 9, stacks of (at the time) type 2 power rares.. I had a box just for Force of Wills (collected them) they weren't worth much then, but holy crap are they expensive now.   Also, I had this really cool Spellground playmat with original artwork drawn on it by a bunch of magic artists and signed by Richard Garfield :'(

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:10:54 »
I mean..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Underground-Sea-Beta-BGS-7-5-9-5-8-7-5-7-5-MTG-Magic-/121581681641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4ed53be9

That underground sea is only in 'pretty good' condition and its over $4k

Damnit, why am I looking at this now I'm sad about my cards again  :'(

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 20:13:32 »
Oh wow, they don't even track DCI rating anymore.. kids these days!

Offline smarmar

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:40:08 »
Hey, I have another one for you guys (won't be the last, I'm sure) ;D
In a recent game my opponent slams me with his entire creature army of non-flyers for his game-winning stroke. Before I declared blockers I played Stormtide Leviathan as a flash from my hand (due to Prophet of Kruphix's text "You may cast creature cards as though they had flash." My opponent and I argued over whether or not my big fish card's ability could negate his already-attacking army. In the end we deduced that my big fish card did indeed null his attack. I finally won the game by sending the big fish over to kill him my next turn.
93321-093323-1
So, what say you magical experts?  :D

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:45:22 »
You need to play that before he declares attackers, I think.. but like, he declares he is going to his attack phase, then you play it, then he can declare attackers if he has anything that can attack

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:58:07 »
Hey, I have another one for you guys (won't be the last, I'm sure) ;D
In a recent game my opponent slams me with his entire creature army of non-flyers for his game-winning stroke. Before I declared blockers I played Stormtide Leviathan as a flash from my hand (due to Prophet of Kruphix's text "You may cast creature cards as though they had flash." My opponent and I argued over whether or not my big fish card's ability could negate his already-attacking army. In the end we deduced that my big fish card did indeed null his attack. I finally won the game by sending the big fish over to kill him my next turn.
So, what say you magical experts?  :D

If the creatures have already been declared as attacking then they will continue attacking. If you cast stormtide before he declares creatures as attacking then they will not be able to attack.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:07:33 »
Once an opponent moves on to declare combat both players have a chance to cast any instants and flash cards.
This is when you would cast stormtide leviathan.
As soon as attackers are declared, those attacks are locked in and no ability can prevent them from attacking; only the damage thereof can be prevented through abilities of cards that specifically relate to combat damage.
So yes, you could have prevented him from swinging at you if you cast the leviathan before he moved on to declare attackers.
Some people in casual games skip the declare combat step and just turn their things sideways. You have to remind them that you can cast things before they declare attackers a lot of the time.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 05:45:42 »
Ursas Saga is still typ2 right? :)

Last time I checked the extended restrictions really ****ed over my Tinker deck :(
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline smarmar

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:31:42 »
Stormtide Leviathan was in my initial card draw but I refrained from playing it early on so that our game would last longer than the previous in which Stormtide Leviathan was the keystone that helped me win the game. We're casual players and don't normally declare phases; we simply tap creatures while voicing who is being attacked. In that particular game I wasn't sure if Player 2 was planning to attack me or attack Player 3 so I used Stormtide as a last "Oh drat" effort to keep me from dying.

Maybe if we played by stricter rules we wouldn't run into this type of problem.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:14:59 by smarmar »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:17:04 »
True story.. I met my wife at a magic tournament :)

Anyone considering going into magic should be careful tho, it can make 'wallet hack' seem like a cheap date if you let it

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:22:53 »

Anyone considering going into magic should be careful tho, it can make 'wallet hack' seem like a cheap date if you let it

Keyboards are so much more friendly to my wallet than magic is. It's called cardboard crack for a reason :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline smarmar

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:40:29 »

I was a big fan of jeskai in khans limited. Just small efficient dudes and removal spells.

I LOOOOVE Jeskai! Not only due to my passion for Asian motifs but also because the cards, themselves, are gorgeous when spread out on the battlefield. I bought the intro deck 3 months ago and have been continually tweaking the cards and mechanics. Now it's super-efficient and powerful against single opponents--not so good against multiple opponents, especially ones with late-game decks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:48:45 by smarmar »

Offline smarmar

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:03:08 »

Keyboards are so much more friendly to my wallet than magic is. It's called cardboard crack for a reason :P

Geez, now you tell me!  ;)

My friend tried to get me into MTG around '99 but for whatever reason I didn't see the appeal. I had previously played the Star Trek and Star Wars card games but didn't get super into them either. Then about 3 or 4 months ago my fake-nephew busts out his decks at one of our "game nights" and offered his green/white for me to try out--that was IT! It must have been the new mechanics, upgraded abilities, visual beauty, or something else that hooked me in this time. Now I live on the corner of Destitute and Welfare in a cardboard box hawking my last pair of jeans for a John Avon limited edition forest.  :-\

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:24:58 »

Geez, now you tell me!  ;)

My friend tried to get me into MTG around '99 but for whatever reason I didn't see the appeal. I had previously played the Star Trek and Star Wars card games but didn't get super into them either. Then about 3 or 4 months ago my fake-nephew busts out his decks at one of our "game nights" and offered his green/white for me to try out--that was IT! It must have been the new mechanics, upgraded abilities, visual beauty, or something else that hooked me in this time. Now I live on the corner of Destitute and Welfare in a cardboard box hawking my last pair of jeans for a John Avon limited edition forest.  :-\

Wait til you try foils..

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:25:50 »
My old type 2 sligh deck didnt run any mountains that werent from Arabian Nights, lol

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:26:22 »
I mean, why would you use a basically free mountain when you could be using one that costs $25!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:27:20 »
I mean, why would you use a basically free mountain when you could be using one that costs $25!

The basics in my legacy deck are $40 foil full art islands. No regrets.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:41:54 »
That seems to be about the price on the AN mountains now too.. been a while since I've played ;)

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:56:02 »
And I thought my foil swamps was bad ._.

They were only like a $1 at the time (few years back).
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:35:35 »

It's always been the most pricey dual land... I only have the "fake beta" Underground Sea : I've got four "Foreign Black Borders" Underground Sea. They're worth today 100x what I paid them for nearly twenty years ago  :)

(I've got about 30 dual-lands, all FBBs)

Prices for these never ever seems to go down.  It's insane. I probably already said it but my MTG cards are in a safe at the bank. I've got several K's of dual lands and a few other niceties (Bazaar of Baghdad, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Force of Will, etc.). I probably also have a few things worth some money to collectors, like the first japanese Serra Angel, but totally miscut. I've got binders full of cards in a garage: one day I should try to find someone in my city who knows all the cards and have him have a look at my cards to see which one are worth keeping... A big problem I've got is that I've a ****load of cards in japanese, thousands of them, and I don't speak japanese and can't tell from the drawing which card it is  :D

I still recognized a few things like Lion Eye's Diamond, Natural Order, etc.  So I know I've got a few niceties but I just can't sort all that mess: there are just too many cards  ???
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:45:09 by TacticalCoder »
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:43:46 »

It's always been the most pricey dual land... I only have the "fake beta" Underground Sea : I've got four "Foreign Black Borders" Underground Sea. They're worth today 100x what I paid them for nearly twenty years ago  :)

(I've got about 30 dual-lands, all FBBs)

Prices for these never ever seems to go down.  It's insane.

back when I had my stuff stolen in 98 I had a full set of 40 black border dual lands.. the blue producing ones all beta, most of the rest foreign revised, as well as power 9 etc (not beta tho lol)

could pay off my mortgage!  :'(

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:54:10 »
back when I had my stuff stolen in 98 I had a full set of 40 black border dual lands.. could pay off my mortgage!  :'(

That is really bad luck.  I really do hate thieves :(   I know some "friends" stole a few cards in my binders at home (where we used to play lots of Magic) but thankfully I kept my most important cards in a specific binder which was always well hid :-/
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:57:52 »
I was just a kid back then (18) now a days my insurance would just be giving me a ****load of money, lol