Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 643677 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:31:15 »
That does suck but there is something great about feeling the shift linkage moving. Also tell yourself that you're Senna. You won't drive faster but you'll feel faster.

I'm not ballsy enough to stay on the power that much in the corners to the point where my car is wiggling as I slingshot out.  That **** was just insane.  Agreed on the shift linkage feel, though.  I don't drive stick anymore, but I still have a lot of my shift knobs.  It makes me feel like I haven't betrayed manual, completely. :))

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:36:36 »
The wheels on my car are so skinny, when I go round roundabouts I love the little skid I get :) They aren't much thicker than those you get on the back wheel of a decent road bike.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:38:40 »
The wheels on my car are so skinny, when I go round roundabouts I love the little skid I get :) They aren't much thicker than those you get on the back wheel of a decent road bike.

:eek:

I have 255's on my Audi now and I already feel like they're skinny. :(

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:42:27 »

:eek:

I have 255's on my Audi now and I already feel like they're skinny. :(

I'm running 180/50 R13s front and back. FWD. It's exciting. I am looking to go up to something bigger to swap to for summer tires, but I have no idea where to start. I just need some big steels...

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:44:26 »
Good lord, that is skinny. O________O

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 19:46:12 »
Speaking of skinny wheels, is anyone else dying to drive one of these? Not sideways... That would be immature and irresponsible.  :))

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:13:37 »
why not get a new ferrari ?

As I wrote above: I find older cars way more fun and don't care for performances nor for fast shift time. I also do not have the money to buy a $200K brand new car (and that's not the kind of new car I'd pick anyway) that will only be new as long as it has 0 mile on the odometer. That's the problem with new car: they're not new very long  :)

And these kind of new cars tend to depreciate very fast and they depreciate for years and years (for example the Ferrari F430 or Porsche 911 Turbo model 997 are still freefalling)...

I also do honestly think the 348 is an investment: in 15 years it's going to be about 40 years old and maybe considered a "classic car" and it may be thought after. I've got my Carrera since 15 years: I know what it is to buy a used car and keep and pamper it for 15 years and want to do it again. Most of all I do really want a 348 and don't want to be "priced out" of the market: so I'll try to buy a 348 soon because in a few years they may be too expensive  :o
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:20:04 »
Speaking of skinny wheels, is anyone else dying to drive one of these? Not sideways... That would be immature and irresponsible.  :))

That's a Morgan right? In one of the thread here quite a while ago about favorite YouTube channels I posted "Shmee150" 's channel: he has a McLaren MP4-12c and bought a car like the one you posted a few months ago. You should go look its channel: he has several videos about that car. I'd sure love to try one but this thing certainly needs some time to get adjusted to!

They certainly can still make a few "bare" cars in the U.K.: Lotus (nearly sold the Porsche to buy an Elise a few years ago), Catheram, Morgan, etc. These are definitely toys which "talk" to me  :p
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:34:41 »

Show Image

I think they pretty much only go sideways don't they? :P FWD and only one rear wheel? Guaranteed to go sideways.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 20:50:07 »
They certainly can still make a few "bare" cars in the U.K.: Lotus (nearly sold the Porsche to buy an Elise a few years ago), Catheram, Morgan, etc. These are definitely toys which "talk" to me  :p

Elises and Exiges are some of the most engaging cars I've driven hard.  Unfortunately, I'm too tall to really drive them comfortably. :(  I don't think I'd of given up your Porsche for one, though. :p

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 22:03:31 »

That's a Morgan right? In one of the thread here quite a while ago about favorite YouTube channels I posted "Shmee150" 's channel: he has a McLaren MP4-12c and bought a car like the one you posted a few months ago. You should go look its channel: he has several videos about that car. I'd sure love to try one but this thing certainly needs some time to get adjusted to!

Yeah it's a Morgan, and I know about schmee. He seems like a really cool guy!

Show Image

I think they pretty much only go sideways don't they? :P FWD and only one rear wheel? Guaranteed to go sideways.

Yeah they only go sideways but that's only 20% of what makes the car cool!  :thumb:
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 03:43:24 »
Speaking of geeky stuff related to cars: does anyone here "hack" a bit software stuff with their cars?

Like reading the OBD-II diags (starting from mid-nineties I think all cars have the OBD-II plug), which can apparently be done without spending too much money or installing custom in-car audio players or doing funny thing using a RaspBerry Pi or adding rear-view camera etc. ?

I've already installed and configured a Raspberry Pi but it has nothing to do with cars: it's used as a VoIP FreePBX/Asterisk server... Sometimes I wish I had the time to do some "Raspberry Pi car related stuff", whatever that would be, just to mess around a bit :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 December 2014, 03:49:54 by TacticalCoder »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 03:55:38 »
My A4 is flashed which is a really easy mod that is awesome.  That's one of the things I love about all these Euro's...some bolt-ons, a flash, some basic tuning and the car is a lot more fun to drive. 

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 04:36:50 »

Elises and Exiges are some of the most engaging cars I've driven hard.  Unfortunately, I'm too tall to really drive them comfortably. :(  I don't think I'd of given up your Porsche for one, though. :p

Show Image

I'd love to own a Morgan three-wheeler or Lotus Elise S1. Both must be fantastic to drive, but for very different reasons.

Currently own a debumpered (and quite heavily modified) Mini Clubman (South Africa only model called the 1275E) and also drive a Golf V. The Mini puts a smile on my face (and many passers-by) every time I drive it. It's "cheeky". The Golf is... well, it's a Golf. Decent to drive, but nothing particularly exciting or special.

I actually probably enjoy driving my Mini more than I would a Veyron. It can be insanely fun at legal speeds :)

It's also the only car I have ever driven so fast the needle hit the stop pin on the speedometer (admittedly the highest marking is 140km/h, but still...). Next upgrade = disc brakes all round.

It's like the 60% of cars... I guess the Morgan is a 40%. The little chrome hub covers are missing in this pic:

84184-0

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 December 2014, 04:40:23 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 10:04:59 »
My A4 is flashed which is a really easy mod that is awesome.  That's one of the things I love about all these Euro's...some bolt-ons, a flash, some basic tuning and the car is a lot more fun to drive. 

That is really awesome: so you flashed it yourself?  What about the settings?  Do you use a "pre-made" ROM (?) or do you program the thing yourself?  (I'm not very familiar with what's involved, hence my questions)  ;D

Quote from: Oobly
It can be insanely fun at legal speeds :)

Ah ah, I know what you mean... In the early nineties, back when I was a teenager, a friend had one and we spent so much time in his mini driving around and messing around: good memories  :)

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 21:58:16 »
my jeep before i sold it, had 37 swamppers on it so dont mind the small tires, swapped the old 31's and stock wheels on for the camp trip.
85340-0

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 22:06:18 »
Speaking of geeky stuff related to cars: does anyone here "hack" a bit software stuff with their cars?

Like reading the OBD-II diags (starting from mid-nineties I think all cars have the OBD-II plug), which can apparently be done without spending too much money or installing custom in-car audio players or doing funny thing using a RaspBerry Pi or adding rear-view camera etc. ?

I've already installed and configured a Raspberry Pi but it has nothing to do with cars: it's used as a VoIP FreePBX/Asterisk server... Sometimes I wish I had the time to do some "Raspberry Pi car related stuff", whatever that would be, just to mess around a bit :)

ninja edit, read your post wrong =D
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 December 2014, 22:08:19 by Joebroniee »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 22:14:45 »
That is really awesome: so you flashed it yourself?  What about the settings?  Do you use a "pre-made" ROM (?) or do you program the thing yourself?  (I'm not very familiar with what's involved, hence my questions)  ;D

Ahhh, sorry.  Didn't see this reply till just now. 

My information might be outdated (it probably is) since I had this done a couple of years ago and haven't messed with it since.  I did not flash it myself; however, I'm in SoCal and there are plenty of shops here that do it so it was relatively easy for me.  I do know that you can remove your ECU and send it in to certain companies (APR, GIAC, STaSIS) and they'll flash the new software onto it and send it back to you.  This leaves your car disabled for a bit, though.

The process is pretty basic, honestly.  They're literally just giving your car new software.  I will mention, though, that some people swear you need a FMIC or an exhaust to balance out the tune.  There are also different stages to the tune (different programs).  If you don't have any bolt-ons, then a basic tune is relatively tame.  The more aggressive tunes requires exhaust, fmic, etc.  I have an APR tune and I can control it via my blinker stalk.  I forget the sequence but I can disable it or put the car in valet mode by pulling and pushing the stalk in a certain combo. 

I like these ECU flashes because they're relatively painless, give your car a nice extra pep in its step, and the process is easy to reverse.  Final caveat.  STaSIS is the only tune that Audi covers under warranty, if I remember correctly.  It's been a while so that might have changed.

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 13:31:50 »
Anyone else here a fan of: bamses turbo underpants?

gh60

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 02:09:59 »
There are lots of diverse and great cars in this thread; I love seeing everyone's preferences and rides!

Today is the start of a new beginning for me:

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 02:23:42 »
There are lots of diverse and great cars in this thread; I love seeing everyone's preferences and rides!

Today is the start of a new beginning for me:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Such swag.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:33:54 »
There was an old one of these threads, a long time ago...

The daily driver:
87603-0

And both of them together:
87605-1

I'm a little bit of a car geek, on the technical side...mostly self taught. Going to try my hand at a transmission rebuild eventually.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 09:41:01 by kishy »
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:15:48 »

Show Image

I'd love to own a Morgan three-wheeler or Lotus Elise S1. Both must be fantastic to drive, but for very different reasons.

Currently own a debumpered (and quite heavily modified) Mini Clubman (South Africa only model called the 1275E) and also drive a Golf V. The Mini puts a smile on my face (and many passers-by) every time I drive it. It's "cheeky". The Golf is... well, it's a Golf. Decent to drive, but nothing particularly exciting or special.

I actually probably enjoy driving my Mini more than I would a Veyron. It can be insanely fun at legal speeds :)

It's also the only car I have ever driven so fast the needle hit the stop pin on the speedometer (admittedly the highest marking is 140km/h, but still...). Next upgrade = disc brakes all round.

It's like the 60% of cars... I guess the Morgan is a 40%. The little chrome hub covers are missing in this pic:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

OMG beautiful mini!! It has always been my dream to own an austin / morris Mini Cooper RHD.. Awesome.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:44:11 »
Guess I should enter this thread, as I myself am a bit of a car nut...I mean I work in the motorsport industry and have always had "toys" although my wallet is not as large as some of you lot haha.
I am looking into buying a new car soon though.

The list at the moment is looking a bit like:
Z4M Coupe
E60 M5
E92 M3
E92 335i or d
Audi S5 (V8)
C63 AMG
Jaguar XK
Lotus Exige S
Porsche Cayman S

I really don't know about the above yet, I need to book some test drives and look at a proper budget. However with fuel prices dropping it is possibly a good time to get something with a bit of grunt.

Here is a few pics of my past cars:

First VX220

Second VX220

Current whip:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:48:07 »
Freebird, is that an R34 behind the second VX220?

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:57:10 »
May I ask, why did you choose the Vauxhall over the Elise?

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:26:53 »
Indeed it is, just outside of that to the left is an S14 too.

May I ask, why did you choose the Vauxhall over the Elise?
I actually preferred the more angular looks over the curvy Elise and the VX's had a 2.2 ltr (NA) or 2 ltr Turbo engine which had more grunt. Also the VX's were cheaper to buy and insure which was a bonus.
VX220's are a pretty rare car which also adds to the allure and the owners club was an awesome group to be part of, I do miss all the track days and events I used to do as part of it.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:30:58 »

I wish I didn't live in the US, I know you can get an S14 here but there aren't many. The 25 year import laws suck.  :'(

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:50:57 »

I wish I didn't live in the US, I know you can get an S14 here but there aren't many. The 25 year import laws suck.  :'(

They are few and far between here these days now here too really. Same goes for Skylines. I have a few mates into drifting and they have all got S bodies, a little primitive for me these days as I have to do motorway miles.

I used to work for a tuner called GT-Art who specialised in producing Skylines for the HKS super street drag series in the UK. Which is probably one of the reasons I ended up with a Jap car most recently. average HP from the GTR's we did was about 1250 at 2.3 Bar of boost, pretty mental doing the road tuning on those  :eek:.

Here is a video I managed to find of one of the R34's
 :thumb:

Aren't you able to import R32's now?

Offline tannerman917

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:20:10 »
I'm young (17) and don't have the money to have a really cool car, but I've done a few things to my 04 Passat GLX 1.8T:

-lowered 1.25 all round
-17" Audi 5 spokes (I know, Audi wheels on a VW)
-upgraded to slotted/drilled rotors
-Euro-style front bumper/headlight switch for aftermarket Audi-style HIDs
-Small mud flaps
-Have a cool little spoiler that I need to sand, prime, and paint

I want something that's economical, cheap, can be fun, and and good for carrying stuff, and this fills the "carrying stuff" category...  Won't say how it fulfills the other 3 XD

I'm a big fan of the German stuff, dad has an '87 Porsche 944 Turbo with a few performance mods and we plan on restoring two Porsche 914s: one to stock and another with a 911 engine, possibly turbocharged.  Steel flares, leather interior, Ruf wheels, the whole 9 yards. 

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:21:17 »

They are few and far between here these days now here too really. Same goes for Skylines. I have a few mates into drifting and they have all got S bodies, a little primitive for me these days as I have to do motorway miles.

I used to work for a tuner called GT-Art who specialised in producing Skylines for the HKS super street drag series in the UK. Which is probably one of the reasons I ended up with a Jap car most recently. average HP from the GTR's we did was about 1250 at 2.3 Bar of boost, pretty mental doing the road tuning on those  :eek:.

Here is a video I managed to find of one of the R34's
 :thumb:

Aren't you able to import R32's now?

Yeah that started a year ago, but it'll be 10 years before we can get R34s over here. But to get an R32 here costs a ton.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:38:20 »
Huge car nerd here. Really anything with an engine; cars, planes, trains, boats, yada yaday

my junk

« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:40:39 by tigersharkdude »

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:45:05 »
Yeah that started a year ago, but it'll be 10 years before we can get R34s over here. But to get an R32 here costs a ton.

Maybe I should buy a bunch of R32 GTR's and sell them state-side! 10 years for R34's...pretty sad news to hear.

Anyone here into endurance racing?

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:53:39 »

I love watching it but sadly with my vision and hearing issues i doubt ill ever be able to do it

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:53:56 »

Maybe I should buy a bunch of R32 GTR's and sell them state-side! 10 years for R34's...pretty sad news to hear.

I am, what series?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 15:54:26 »
I just got a 7th gen black Honda civic ex. So stoked to do some stuff to it this summer! I love it.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:04:59 »
Huge car nerd here. Really anything with an engine; cars, planes, trains, boats, yada yaday

my junk

Show Image

Show Image

I keep forgetting how much better looking your maxima is than mine...

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 16:07:24 »

my junk

Show Image

Show Image

I keep forgetting how much better looking your maxima is than mine...

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:29:17 »
I am, what series?

Oh I just wondered as I work for a UK endurance racing championship organiser. We have got the 24hr race at Silverstone back for this season which should be awesome.

The ALMS looks awesome from what I have seen and obviously we try to keep an eye on what others are doing i.e. Creventic, ELMS, GT Cup etc.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:43:59 »
Imagine this car but instead of green my first car was brown. Also had the 318 not the 340. Had original yellow rims too lol. Sold it to a guy that came down from Canada  :eek:

Had it about 10 years, or almost. I miss it but didn't have the money to repair the rust that showed up in later years. Had to let it go.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 17:51:55 »
^ Plymouth Duster? 

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 22:51:38 »
Correct :thumb: '74

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:21:03 »
I don't have her anymore since i moved to Japan but here's my old car.

1994 Mazda MX-3

Lowered on H&R's with ZR2 ford racing struts w/ Poly bump stops. Stock rims but they weighed 13lbs and couldn't find anything cheaper that weighed less but was just as strong so i left them.

She's ugly as hell and real bang up and rusty but she put a lot of cars to shame.
Had a 1.8L BP-T running 10-12PSI, port & polished head w/ sodium valves, CorkSport Camshafts.
never dyno'd but should have been 220 +/- 20hp lol

Yup, she was INSANELY ghetto and thrown together because i ran out of time/money during my swap but she was insanely reliable. So reliable in fact that she was the only one that never broke down where as all my friends with more time and money who did it properly had pretty severe problems.

Chassis rusted out and brake master died after i sold it to my buddy when i left for Japan but i think the engine is living in another car since they're quite rare and strong.
I have a worklog but all the picture links died and i'm far too lazy to update it with working links. http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=70628
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 01:15:53 »

oh ford, you're making such beautiful cars lately.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:27:21 »
Now I'm not normally a Ford loving person but that is a fantastic shot  :thumb:

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 10:30:31 »
Sadly they don't offer that color on the vehicles .... seriously

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 12:10:48 »
hopefully it'll be an option this year. looks like a brighter performance blue.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 12:22:31 »
Speaking of Ford, does anyone know if the new GT will be stick? Or is Ford quitting like everyone else.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 12:23:16 »
hopefully it'll be an option this year. looks like a brighter performance blue.

not likely, someone asked about it at the DAS and Ford told them that the color is a show car only color

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 13:14:15 »
lame. oh well, looking at either getting a white or red ST anyway.