Author Topic: Model M Space Saver Makeover  (Read 20567 times)

Offline pfink

Model M Space Saver Makeover
« on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 20:22:00 »
I decided to give one of my Model M Space Savers a makeover last week. I wanted to paint the case black and replace the coiled beige cable with a straight black one.

First, the cable. Since straight black SDL->PS/2 cables are near impossible to find I ended up sacrificing one of my coiled cables. I clipped the straight segments from either end and stripped off the outer cover and the inner wire insulation from both segments. Some wire twisting and a bit of electrical tape later I had a short straight SDL->PS/2 cable, which I coated with black Plasti Dip spray. I mated this with a black PS/2 extension cable and voila! The ugly section where the joint was covered with electrical tape was hidden by attaching it with zip ties to the speaker grill on the bottom of the board. Not the most elegant solution but I always keep the risers up so this isn't a problem for me.

For the case I did some digging around online and found a couple people recommending Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating for case and keyboard mods so I picked up a couple cans of flat black and a can of Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter at the local Pep Boys.

After disassembling the keyboard and masking off the bottom of the board around the label I roughed up the plastic slightly using 600 grit sandpaper. Then I sprayed both sections with two coats of adhesion promoter, waited about 8 minutes and sprayed the first color coat. The second coat went on an hour later. I let it dry overnight and  reassembled.

The nice thing about this vinyl coating product is that any overspraying gets absorbed back into the plastic rather than showing up as drips on the painted surface, so you end up with a nice uniform finish.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 22:07:25 »
Very nice. Makes me want to take mine apart and do it as well.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 09:05:46 »
Interesting. Going to put black keycaps where the beige ones are?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline pfink

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 August 2009, 10:51:11 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;108583
Interesting. Going to put black keycaps where the beige ones are?

I don't mind the way the keys look and I like the feel of the stock Model M keys so I don't really want to mess around with them too much.

If I ever get my mitts on an M13 I may swap in the black keys but otherwise I'll probably leave it as is.

Update: I got me some black keys...

« Last Edit: Tue, 18 August 2009, 20:51:30 by pfink »

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 07:16:47 »
How well is that paint job holding up?

Cheers,
SainT
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 08:41:31 »
I am wanting to know too. From the pic it looks very nice and evenly applied. Almost like OEM?
The question of course is how well it will hold up. How does it handle nicks and scrapes and can you scratch at it with your fingernail?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline pfink

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 April 2010, 11:40:07 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;176794
How well is that paint job holding up?

Excellent, it looks pretty much the same as when I first applied it.

I took a screwdriver and tried to scrape some of the coloring off of the bottom of the keyboard. I had to use a decent amount of pressure to gouge it enough for the beige color to show through, the vinyl Dupli-Color paint/dye spray penetrates the surface really well.

Offline audioave10

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 10:44:37 »
I actually like the contrast of the original keys on a black case.
I so need a Space Saver.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 12:13:25 »
Nice speakers buddy!

I want to see a pearl white or industrial grey SpaceSaver with black keys.  I think that combination gives it a really cool "70s typewriter" look...
Keychron C2 - box pinks - mt3 jukebox
Keychron K10 - box crystal jades - mt3 dasher
Keychron V6 QMK - gat cap v2 milky yellows - marrs green clones in oem profile?
IBM Model M - 1391401 - blue label - 3/9/93

Offline bicycle_wreck

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 12:40:22 »
Nice work.  Where did you end up getting the black keys?
Das Keyboard Professional / HHKB Pro 2 / Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (Cherry Blues)

Offline bettablue

• Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 10:25:53 »
The paint job on this looks great!  I love the contrast of the light keyboard with black keys too.  In just over a week, I'll have two model M keyboards I will be working on to make one.  I think I'll paint the case following your instructions and see how it all comes together.  After that I want to try RIT die and make some red keys for it.  If everything works the way it's supposed to, it will make a nice gift for my sister and brother-in-law.

I'll try to photoshop some of my ideas and post them in modifications later.
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline kill will

• http://www.jerseyshoredailies.com
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 14:10:08 »
Buckling springs are the gift that keeps giving
I <3 BS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 February 2011, 14:10:59 »
Quote from: kill will;301812
Buckling springs are the gift that keeps giving

I thought that was Herpes?

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 22:57:00 »
Yeah i would love to know what this looks like today.
/// Current
Leopold 87 White MX | Filco 104 Brown | BlackWidow | WhiteWidow  |  TG3 Deck | 2x NIB  Dell AT101W | NIB  Dell QuietKey | IBM 3278 | Logitech NetPlay | Logitech G15 v2 | Saitek Eclipse v1 | Apple A1314 | Logitech K700
/// Past
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 86UB

Offline pfink

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 17:34:43 »
Quote from: ripster;301817
Since this is a necro thread ever notice that nobody ever posts pictures after 3 years of heavy use of painted keyboards?

My black mini still looks the same as when I first painted it, although I've been mainly using the semi-industrial lately.

Seriously though, if you're just painting the case how much wear-and-tear is it going to get sitting on a desk? I can see paint on keys wearing off but I barely touch the case when typing.

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 March 2011, 20:37:58 »
Quote from: pfink;304556
My black mini still looks the same as when I first painted it, although I've been mainly using the semi-industrial lately.

Seriously though, if you're just painting the case how much wear-and-tear is it going to get sitting on a desk? I can see paint on keys wearing off but I barely touch the case when typing.

I do a lot of resting on the edge of the keyboard with my thumbs below the spacebar and if the keyboard has built in wrist rests then i would prob use those as well.  Other than that i wouldnt think you would get much wear.
/// Current
Leopold 87 White MX | Filco 104 Brown | BlackWidow | WhiteWidow  |  TG3 Deck | 2x NIB  Dell AT101W | NIB  Dell QuietKey | IBM 3278 | Logitech NetPlay | Logitech G15 v2 | Saitek Eclipse v1 | Apple A1314 | Logitech K700
/// Past
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 86UB