Author Topic: Hey lurkers, my experience  (Read 1979 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Hey lurkers, my experience
« on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:59:36 »
I joined geekhack back in late 2013, and lurked until January of this year.

Like many of you that are now recently posting, I felt like there was too much knowledge for me to contribute. I felt like the old school dudes would judge me. I didn't think I had a place here, hell I still don't know if I do. I've been in your shoes, and know how it feels.

My advice, just give it a go. I'm a shy person until I get to know people. I fit the description of a geek. Nobody here will crucify you for saying something dumb or silly. There are people that will call you out and criticize you, but they are far and few. I guarantee you if you take part in discussions, and try to make friends, you will. It may not happen immediately but you will find people in your area, or in other countries, that will shoot the **** with you.

I hope this helps at least one person, if that happens then my post worked. We are all in this hobby for the same reason.

Also, never hesitate to shoot me a PM. I may not respond immediately, but I'll reply sooner or later.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
Re: Hey lurkers, my experience
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:10:08 »
+1

I lurked (and still do) like you did.

The difference between the two of us is that you participate more then I do, and people recognize that.

You are far more familiar and seen as a contributing member because of the fact that you simply got to know people and participated like a member of a community.

No more lurking people!

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:49:17 »
Why the change to not lurk any more? It seems crazy to have an account for 2 years, never post, and then suddenly post a lot.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:24:26 »
Why the change to not lurk any more? It seems crazy to have an account for 2 years, never post, and then suddenly post a lot.
It started when I found 3 Lexmark SSKs at my work.  Then I began posting for Clackvent, cuz why not.  It all spiraled from there mostly.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:23:59 »
Saw your name pop up here and there on the Bro Therapy's page. Thought you were one of the established members, glad to hear us newbs aren't alone!
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 03:59:49 »
I just had to learn to navigate the forum, then know what I want to say and that is what got me to stop lurking.

Offline faycheung

• Noob
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:08:02 »
Well, I don't have much knowledge to contribute, but I keep an eye on the spy, the media forum and the off topic ones, or any thread that's not geared towards technical discussion. Starting to become more active!!

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:58:49 »
Thanks for posting this! Very encouraging. I think the "Pay it forward" threads are what made me want to start posting the most. I love that the community does stuff like that and I want to be a part of it. I think I need to get over the whole "I have nothing to contribute" deal too.

Cheers!

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 02:10:51 »
Thanks for posting this! Very encouraging. I think the "Pay it forward" threads are what made me want to start posting the most. I love that the community does stuff like that and I want to be a part of it. I think I need to get over the whole "I have nothing to contribute" deal too.

Cheers!

I just want go get something that I can pay forward!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:33:02 »
A belated welcome to Geekhack!

The SSK is still going strong, and gets rotated in at weekends mostly.  Thanks again for that :)

Also it has my Clackvent Skull on it - kinds fitting considering what your first few posts were :cool:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 06:28:57 »
It's funny seeing you make an introduction post. I joined recently and definitely saw you as an established member :P

Definitely been trying to take your approach to things, trying to contribute what meager content I can (even if it's just my opinion for now) and be as friendly as possibly to everyone I cross paths with. Hopefully I'll be able to offer something more substantial in the near future as I start to gain more knowledge (but more importantly, cool keyboard stuff...)
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 06:38:37 »

joey sez: shut up and go away.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 07:06:34 »

It's funny seeing you make an introduction post. I joined recently and definitely saw you as an established member

Definitely been trying to take your approach to things, trying to contribute what meager content I can (even if it's just my opinion for now) and be as friendly as possibly to everyone I cross paths with. Hopefully I'll be able to offer something more substantial in the near future as I start to gain more knowledge (but more importantly, cool keyboard stuff...)

I made an intro post a long time ago actually. This was more of my point of view for people that were concerned over posting, and feared not fitting in. I don't by any means, consider myself established. If other people do, that's great, but there is still so much I have yet to experience in the world of keyboards. It's been a fun ride so far though.

Looking forward to future discussions man!
A belated welcome to Geekhack!

The SSK is still going strong, and gets rotated in at weekends mostly.  Thanks again for that :)

Also it has my Clackvent Skull on it - kinds fitting considering what your first few posts were :cool:
Glad to hear man! I'm still amazed that I was able to save those boards from the dumpster. Looking back, I wish I would have kept one for myself, but they all went to good homes so I can't complain.