Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline maskey

Hello there!
« on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 11:20:33 »
Hi, I've been lurking 'round these parts for a while but I thought I'd say hello.

I got into mechanical keyboards a few years ago after a visit to Fry's Electronics. I was walking down the keyboard aisle en route to finding a power supply and like any sane man I typed on every keyboard I passed. Eventually my fingers found their way to a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid (Blues) and I was hooked! I was able to get a good deal with a price match to Amazon and I haven't looked back!

Almost three years later and we're still together.

I also have a Cooler Master Novatouch that I'm going to be trying to sell/trade for a HHKB. I want something a little more mobile that I can take places.

Goals:
I would like to someday own a nice IBM Model M and a white HHKB Pro 2 with blanks. I would also like a good numpad to go with my smaller boards.

Naturally, a nice collection of artisan caps and key sets. I got my first artisan recently; an Arctic Lycan. I lerv it!

Thanks

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:24:01 »
Hey maskey!

Glad to see you jumping into the forum after lurkin! :)

I wish I had your keyboard monogamy but I seem to change every few months or go back to exes :p
The HHKB is a fantastic keyboard and in my opinion miles ahead of the Novatouch - would highly recommend you make the trade if the option comes up

and congrats on winning the Lycan!

Offline maskey

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:44:46 »
Hey maskey!

I wish I had your keyboard monogamy but I seem to change every few months or go back to exes :p
The HHKB is a fantastic keyboard and in my opinion miles ahead of the Novatouch - would highly recommend you make the trade if the option comes up

Thanks for the welcome! It's pretty funny, I know so much about mechs yet I just own the two! I suppose I've just had other stuff to replace higher up on the priority list for so long...

I recently replaced the stock caps on the QFR with a cheapo PBT set, but they're really nice and gave the keyboard a nice make over! I'll probably have to replace the top case shortly.

Hoping to trade up soon on the novatouch too.

Offline gabba-gool

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:27:40 »
Welcome!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:34:45 »
Hey maskey!

Thanks for the welcome! It's pretty funny, I know so much about mechs yet I just own the two! I suppose I've just had other stuff to replace higher up on the priority list for so long...

I recently replaced the stock caps on the QFR with a cheapo PBT set, but they're really nice and gave the keyboard a nice make over! I'll probably have to replace the top case shortly.

Hoping to trade up soon on the novatouch too.

I was the same way - spent a long time trying to be a sponge with all the information and then let the wallet hack take over

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 03:47:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have a QFR, but with blacks.  And PBT keycaps.  Makes a surprising different to the feel of it.

For a Model M, keey an eye on classifieds as members do sell them from time to time.  And also eBay - you acn get some good deals there (look in great finds for links to particular eBay auctions).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline maskey

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:07:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have a QFR, but with blacks.  And PBT keycaps.  Makes a surprising different to the feel of it.

For a Model M, keey an eye on classifieds as members do sell them from time to time.  And also eBay - you acn get some good deals there (look in great finds for links to particular eBay auctions).

Thanks! It's a future buy for sure. I did just pull the trigger on an HHKB Pro 2 (white w/blanks) which should be arriving tonight. It's a bit serendipitous that the wife has a birthday dinner to go to as well....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 04:08:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! It's a future buy for sure. I did just pull the trigger on an HHKB Pro 2 (white w/blanks) which should be arriving tonight. It's a bit serendipitous that the wife has a birthday dinner to go to as well....

That was a couple of days ago now ... did the HHKB arrive ok?  And what do you think of it?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DreaMagine

• Head and shoulders, keys and toes
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 09:57:47 »
Welcome!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 17:25:00 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.