Author Topic: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy  (Read 180370 times)

Offline Spopepro

Re: Duck Black Bird Kustom Group Buy
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:06:20 »
Those of us in the bay should have a blackbird family photo.

I'm probably going to use modded aristotles of some kind. Maybe even going off the deep end and pulling apart 3 different kinds of switches and making a super frankenswitch. It will get the PBT blue and red Hangul set from originative once it shows up.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #301 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:30:57 »
I'll definitely use Zealio Housings and I am rather uncertain on which weight or which stems to use. I'll probably either have the plate modded to allow for switch top removal or get a custom Acrylic plate made, that way I'm not f'd when I end up not liking the end result.

As far as Keycaps go I'll try many different ones and decide on what I think looks best in person (EnjoyPBT Purple Hangul, GMK Skeletor, GMK Carbon, GMK Hyperfuse, Oco PBT Japanese Purple/Cyan).

Offline buzzking00

« Reply #302 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 21:57:24 »

- Order ONLY if you can pay the invoice by the deadline (August 19, 2016)

paid  :)

How did you join after the group buy date was over?
 ;)
joined the gb 3 days ago  ;)

Offline brighenne

« Reply #303 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 23:28:19 »
Just curious what everyone else's plans are with this? This is my first custom, and I'm looking forward to diving in when the time comes.

I went black / black anodization, and picked up two of Rama's SS Liquid Black keys for Esc / Delete. Was thinking I would grab some black pbt side-printed caps like Geekkey's (for the full stealth look), and put them on Zeal's R4 65g switches & stabs.

That'll be very slick for a first custom !! Have you ever typed on lubed zealios? It's one of those things that sounds like overkill but once you take the time to do it, you never wanna go back to stock switches. I'd consider it the last step to take your board to god-tier, and would be worth considering beforehand given that the black bird plate doesn't support switch-top removal :cool:

That's very much personal preference. I dislike lubed zealios.

Offline paulforgione

« Reply #304 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 00:30:18 »
I'm on standard MX Browns at the moment. I was at the Massdrop Kiibohd meetup a few weeks back and tried of whole lot of things, though I can't for the life of me remember exactly which was on what.

My friend just finished putting together his Ergodox with Zeals though, so I'll have to give his a test.

Offline maximm

« Reply #305 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:09:42 »
Im going with Lubed 62g R4 Zeals. SPRiT gold stabs (7u) and for caps not 100% sure yet. GMK Carbon or Cyrillic/CMYW Mods maybe?

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 01:11:38 »
SKIDATA BB!! YEEEEE....
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 06:46:12 »
SKIDATA BB!! YEEEEE....
Same here. Skidata+ with lubed ergo-clears. Zealios wobble too much for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline seblove

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 18:05:02 »
Just curious what everyone else's plans are with this? This is my first custom, and I'm looking forward to diving in when the time comes.

I went black / black anodization, and picked up two of Rama's SS Liquid Black keys for Esc / Delete. Was thinking I would grab some black pbt side-printed caps like Geekkey's (for the full stealth look), and put them on Zeal's R4 65g switches & stabs.

That'll be very slick for a first custom !! Have you ever typed on lubed zealios? It's one of those things that sounds like overkill but once you take the time to do it, you never wanna go back to stock switches. I'd consider it the last step to take your board to god-tier, and would be worth considering beforehand given that the black bird plate doesn't support switch-top removal :cool:

That's totally fair, everything is preference. But I'd say on average people really like the lubed counterpart to their favorite switch; you're the first I've heard announce dislike for a lubed zealio - it just makes it sound less plasticky and feels more consistent imo. Maybe you typed on swamped switches? Who knows.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #309 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 19:25:42 »
How did you join after the group buy date was over?
messaged elton and he said there was still space in batch 2
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline buzzking00

« Reply #310 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 21:20:44 »
Those of us in the bay should have a blackbird family photo.

I'm probably going to use modded aristotles of some kind. Maybe even going off the deep end and pulling apart 3 different kinds of switches and making a super frankenswitch. It will get the PBT blue and red Hangul set from originative once it shows up.

Just signed up for the GB! Bay area pic sounds like a great idea!

Offline tuco

« Reply #311 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 21:42:54 »
Glad to hear more people are getting in. Can't wait to get mine!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #312 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 23:23:50 »
sooo where's the eagle / viper gb?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #313 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 04:22:07 »

In Korea.

The first international batch of the Black Bird isn't even shipped, so I'd guess it is at least one and a half months (probably longer) until the eagle/viper GB is live.

The reason for the picture in the opening post is probably just Duck who uploaded it and used the same url for it as for the Black Bird pic, thus overwriting it. I'm very sure it was not elton, because it changed before he logged in again.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #314 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 04:36:11 »

In Korea.

The first international batch of the Black Bird isn't even shipped, so I'd guess it is at least one and a half months (probably longer) until the eagle/viper GB is live.

The reason for the picture in the opening post is probably just Duck who uploaded it and used the same url for it as for the Black Bird pic, thus overwriting it. I'm very sure it was not elton, because it changed before he logged in again.

thanks man

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #315 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 12:06:50 »
When will  the Estimated ship date be for the second batch?

About a month after the 1st batch. 1st batch will be ready in about a month's time

Soo, any updates on the shipping timeline? I've got a slight feeling that this might not be up to date anymore.

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #316 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 20:08:56 »
I have a feeling the blackbird may reach me before the shipping numbers  :))

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 20:49:33 »
oh, how I can't wait for this to ship!

Offline JDragon

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 20:00:20 »

That's totally fair, everything is preference. But I'd say on average people really like the lubed counterpart to their favorite switch; you're the first I've heard announce dislike for a lubed zealio - it just makes it sound less plasticky and feels more consistent imo. Maybe you typed on swamped switches? Who knows.

fwiw, I dislike lubed Zealios also - I like the 67g Zealios because of the big tactile bump and lubing them (even lightly) loses some of that bump from my experience.

Offline hoanglh94

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 03:03:08 »

fwiw, I dislike lubed Zealios also - I like the 67g Zealios because of the big tactile bump and lubing them (even lightly) loses some of that bump from my experience.
Still i suggest you guys to lube the spring to get rid of the springing and creaky sound ;)

Offline seblove

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 07:04:17 »
^^ this^^ and maybe the sliders + bottom of the housing for more sound dampening/smoothness. That should leave the tactile bump mostly intact? I can totally see why yall would love the zealio as is, it lacks any noticeable scratchiness and has a crisp bump; I was just suggesting to the guy to try lubing them at some point if he hasn't had the chance. In other news, I'm excited to try out some MOD switches, they look like the real deal.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 11:46:03 »
^^ this^^ and maybe the sliders + bottom of the housing for more sound dampening/smoothness. That should leave the tactile bump mostly intact? I can totally see why yall would love the zealio as is, it lacks any noticeable scratchiness and has a crisp bump; I was just suggesting to the guy to try lubing them at some point if he hasn't had the chance. In other news, I'm excited to try out some MOD switches, they look like the real deal.

I've been at this custom keyboard business since 2011...I've tried all the various switch mods and know what I like and what I don't lol. I prefer MOD switches to zealios, but from your posts it sounds like you're going to prefer zealios.

Offline oatsbagotes

« Reply #322 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:27:14 »
Tracking is up!!!! ;D

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #323 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:36:21 »
Tracking is up!!!! ;D

My one month later countdown for R2 Blackbird starts right now.

Offline keyit

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:45:12 »
Tracking is up!!!! ;D

ahhhh thank you for letting us know!
boop

Offline seblove

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 21:48:34 »

I've been at this custom keyboard business since 2011...I've tried all the various switch mods and know what I like and what I don't lol. I prefer MOD switches to zealios, but from your posts it sounds like you're going to prefer zealios.

I was directing my harmless suggestion toward paulforgione, not you. Sorry if I somehow undermined your deep knowledge of switches, oh holy keeb lord est. 2011.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 02:05:54 »

I was directing my harmless suggestion toward paulforgione, not you. Sorry if I somehow undermined your deep knowledge of switches, oh holy keeb lord est. 2011.

Yep, sorry about that, misread that in my haste while reading that in a short amount of time while at the hospital.

As for my comment, I wouldn't get your hopes up on the mod switches as it seems you're much more smoothness-oriented. Sheraton from originative is another one that prefers ergo clears to zealios and MODs definitely aren't as smooth as zealios.

Offline seblove

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 08:17:15 »

Yep, sorry about that, misread that in my haste while reading that in a short amount of time while at the hospital.

As for my comment, I wouldn't get your hopes up on the mod switches as it seems you're much more smoothness-oriented. Sheraton from originative is another one that prefers ergo clears to zealios and MODs definitely aren't as smooth as zealios.

I apologise as well, my comment was ****ish. Hope all is well with your health bud.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 09:20:35 »
Tracking is up!!!! ;D

Thanks for the heads up!

...And I'm #31 of 30 shipped.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 09:40:52 »
Hopefully Zeal's GB delivers in November... I'm starting to think it might be later than that since it isn't over yet. Got some 67g, Zealencios, and screw in stabs coming for this bad boy... I'm actually excited to see the R1 people's builds.

Offline Shados

« Reply #330 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 09:41:57 »
Tracking is up!!!! ;D

Thanks for the heads up!

...And I'm #31 of 30 shipped.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the first batch was limited to 30 units. Just be glad there was a second batch :P.

Offline baotung

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 17:49:12 »
Is tracking getting posted on Paypal? I'm in the first 30 and havent received tracking yet.

Offline oatsbagotes

« Reply #332 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 17:50:47 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 October 2016, 17:53:10 by oatsbagotes »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #333 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 18:05:33 »
Yay tracking!

Is tracking getting posted on Paypal? I'm in the first 30 and havent received tracking yet.

LoL....
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline gandroider

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:08:17 »
How many order for batch 2? Can I join, should there be any vacant spot?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #335 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:17:06 »
Oh wow I didn't even notice it got shipped. Just checked and it's in my country already.

Hoping that Elton undervalued the package...
Please feed my addiction.

Offline Shados

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 16 October 2016, 20:18:28 »
Mine's already in my city. Here's hoping it arrives today/tomorrow :>.

Offline duzeyao

« Reply #337 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 02:33:14 »
Got the package, perfect as shxt.

Let me make it simple: If you want a custom keyboard, get Duck from Elton.

11/10 Would join Duck GB again.
你绝版的婊子妈坟

Offline kenshinjeff

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 07:58:26 »
How do I test if the RGBs on the back is working? And how does one use 02D_KeyMapper_Custom_v1.9.640.exe on win 10?

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 08:05:23 »
the picture of the eagle and viper v2 threw me off!
Thought I missed the boat :P

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 09:06:53 »
Oh wow I didn't even notice it got shipped. Just checked and it's in my country already.

Hoping that Elton undervalued the package...

Packages coming into the US are exempt from tax/duties if they are below $400-500 USD (not sure which value). Also, Duck always undervalues the keyboards so you don't need to worry.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #341 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 11:12:10 »
Hey Elton, is there some type of cad file available for the dimensions of the weight insert? or is there any weights for sale?

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #342 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:19:02 »
Just received and opened mine!  It's like a f'ing treasure hunt tearing through the complexity of packaging.  I love it!  So well packaged that it's the gold standard. 

This is my second Elton/Duck GB and you both nailed it again.  I couldn't be happier.  I just wish all GB's went as smoothly.  Thank you both for all your hard work and for the patience you have with all us GH knuckleheads.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #343 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:31:30 »
Just received and opened mine!  It's like a f'ing treasure hunt tearing through the complexity of packaging.  I love it!  So well packaged that it's the gold standard. 

Any pics? I'd love to see a bit more than just the pics from Duck's blog

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #344 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:49:15 »

I second that!

« Reply #345 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 13:59:26 »

I second that!

Same here! :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline maximm

« Reply #346 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:01:32 »
Received mine as well! Black/Silver and its looking great! Just paitently waiting for my R4 Zeals :)

Offline oatsbagotes

« Reply #347 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 14:11:09 »
Working on mine right now, will post potato pics when I finish :)

Offline Butter

« Reply #348 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 16:15:12 »
Anyone plan to do a GB for the weight?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #349 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 16:17:33 »
Mine was out for delivery and then back to post office. Dang!

Should I go with Gateron black or Vintage black? Decisions..
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa