Author Topic: [GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Nautilus Custom Keycap Set  (Read 195302 times)

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus
« Reply #450 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:42:19 »
Is there any reason the 1u thumb cluster keycaps and the Lower and Raise keycaps aren't convex in the ErgoDox/Planck kit?

Those work as spacebars, not as Raise and lower keycaps.
What do you mean? All thumb keycaps should be convex, not just space bars.

Not sure there's a mold for 1u convex keys yet. It is a good idea to get those made though.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #451 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 18:51:13 »
Is there any reason the 1u thumb cluster keycaps and the Lower and Raise keycaps aren't convex in the ErgoDox/Planck kit?

Those work as spacebars, not as Raise and lower keycaps.
What do you mean? All thumb keycaps should be convex, not just space bars.

Not sure there's a mold for 1u convex keys yet. It is a good idea to get those made though.
There is. Yuri had convex 1u keycaps and this set has them too.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #452 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 19:04:17 »
No blue iso enter? Couldnt it be fitted into something like Norde kit?

Since ANSI gets both, it seems pretty unfair to only give the yellow one to ISO users. It doesn't matter which kit it's in, but I really think that this needs to be added.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #453 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 21:04:40 »
So excited for this!
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #454 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 09:08:06 »
Could we have a comment on the option for a Blue ISO enter ?  Thanks :)

My main objetive with this project was to offer a base kit right under the $100. I do want a GMK set that balances both compatibility and afforadibility. With that in mind, I want the core kits (such as the Base kit and Ergodox) to be as affordable as possible.
Now regarding ISO: unlike Carbon, the base kit comes with UK ISO. That's something that you guys complained with the very first version of Nautilus, and to keep things balanced I removed the blue ISO enter. However, if the pricepoint at 1000 units allows me to add a blue ISO enter while staying the $95-$105 price point, I'll make sure to include one.

Thanks :)  Where ever the blue ISO ends up, I will buy it :)

Offline Konjungamo

« Reply #455 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 11:43:39 »
No barred f and j keys? I could swear I saw those before, have they been scratched from the set?

Offline yokken

« Reply #456 on: Sun, 11 June 2017, 12:44:36 »
I would really hope there are barred F and J keys. I don't find the GMK scoop apparent enough to make up for it. The barred F and J keys are like a standard in every GMK set I've seen, but maybe I just haven't seen enough. Still, I would be surprised (and definitely a little upset for a few minutes) if they're not included.

Offline kawaiicheung

« Reply #457 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 01:50:18 »
Does anyone know which keyboard is the first pic of Gallery?

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #458 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 03:42:23 »

It's just a render, that keyboard doesn't exist
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #459 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 07:33:56 »

It's just a render, that keyboard doesn't exist

That's Nara. As loud-asian said, and like all the keyboard that I use for the renders, it doesn't exist. However I plan to keep working on it.

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #460 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 16:52:07 »
GMK >Terminal_ drops making me jealous. I need this Nautilus GB  :eek:

Offline xantiema

« Reply #461 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 13:22:38 »
Will buy 3-5 sets if nordic is added to base or non-standard.

I doubt that'll happen, as it would be overkill for the majority of the buyers I believe...

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #462 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 14:22:37 »
Darn.  I have been planning on putting this on my dox for a while now, but the new ergodox kit with legends sort of ruins it for me, as it doesn't match my layout at all.  Why the change?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

If you've been following the last 4-5 group buys at Massdrop, all the Ergodox kits have been doing really well, specially those with legends (check out Godspeed, for instance). This kit covers plenty of combinations for Plancks, Ergodoxes and even the Kinesis Advantage.

I've received countless PMs asking for a kit like this and I believe that Nautilus is a set that can make it possible.

The introduction of legends in the Ergodox kit made this a must buy for me.  I'm not an Ergodox user but I am a beginning Planck user and I really like the look of legends on my modifiers.  I'm curious about what layouts the Ergodox users are using that don't match these legends -- it seems like the keys in the Ergodox kit along with the keys in the base kit would cover 99% of the Ergodox layouts I've seen in my cursory google search.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #463 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 16:29:39 »
Here is an update regarding all of Nautilus' kits:
  • Base kit: No changes
  • Norde: A blue iso enter has been added to this kit as I don't want to add more keycaps to the base kit, but still want to offer one.
  • Dvorak & Colemak: I've reconsidered my position about this kit and it would be the best for everyone to offer it.
  • Ergodox & Planck: some R2 1.5Us will be added, as well as a couple 1U R4s and R1s
  • Novelties: awaiting GMK's response regarding any issues with them.
  • Community: Nautilus will use Mito's RMK logo.
  • Spacebars: no changes

Offline colbs

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 18:28:17 »
The introduction of legends in the Ergodox kit made this a must buy for me.  I'm not an Ergodox user but I am a beginning Planck user and I really like the look of legends on my modifiers.  I'm curious about what layouts the Ergodox users are using that don't match these legends -- it seems like the keys in the Ergodox kit along with the keys in the base kit would cover 99% of the Ergodox layouts I've seen in my cursory google search.

For me, the rows are wrong on the main modifiers, so most (75%) of the keys I need for the main sections are there, but incorrectly profiled for my layout.  On my thumb clusters, other than space/backspace/enter, every key is a macro or shortcut for my IDE for programming.  About 80% of my personal layout would be wrong with the new legends.  I am fine with a few mislabeled keys, but that is too much for me.

I am fully aware my use case is probably not the norm, and I am happy for anyone that appreciates the addition of legends.  The set just isn't for me anymore.

Cheers

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #465 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 20:11:05 »
yall need to calm down, theres no way this guy can cater to every single one of ure "needs"

Offline colbs

« Reply #466 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 20:29:31 »
yall need to calm down, theres no way this guy can cater to every single one of ure "needs"

???
I don't really see where people are not being "calm" (except maybe the ISO enter stuff, and even that isn't too extreme).  No one expects everyone's needs to be met, but this is pretty tame for an interest check discussion as far as I can tell.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #467 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 22:11:24 »
I see the base kit is described as supporting the 65% layout of the Tada68/Saber68, but I don't see the R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn used in the default layout on those keyboards.  Can that be added?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #468 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 06:41:02 »
I see the base kit is described as supporting the 65% layout of the Tada68/Saber68, but I don't see the R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn used in the default layout on those keyboards.  Can that be added?

Just use the R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn. There are no real standard when it comes to 68% keyboards and you can just remap the keys anyway...
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline xantiema

« Reply #469 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 07:13:15 »

Novelties: awaiting GMK's response regarding any issues with them.

Which novelties are you referring to? Can't find any renders of them

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #470 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 07:18:43 »

Novelties: awaiting GMK's response regarding any issues with them.

Which novelties are you referring to? Can't find any renders of them

They've never been posted.

Offline avid

« Reply #471 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 07:47:15 »
So happy to see ISO enter in norde kit. Thanks for that.

This and solarized dark is going to be so sweet. Actually going to be my first GMK sets.
Probably getting two of the nautilus. How many are you guys getting?
Is there any pointers to prices?
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 09:07:15 by avid »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #472 on: Sat, 17 June 2017, 08:10:22 »
Very dope set, I hope there will be a GB for SA in a year or two!

Offline Auk

« Reply #473 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 04:05:08 »
  • Norde: A blue iso enter has been added to this kit as I don't want to add more keycaps to the base kit, but still want to offer one.
Show Image

4 with €  is missing from the Norde kit?

I know you want to keep this set affordable, so maybe this one didn't make the cut?

Offline online

« Reply #474 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 12:21:57 »
Is it possible to include 3u spacebar(or space key) in the spacebar set?
I want this set on my minila so bad!!

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #475 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 15:21:54 »
I don't think GMK has 3u molds. YURI didn't even have them IIRC

Offline jihadu

« Reply #476 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 17:17:43 »
I don't think GMK has 3u molds. YURI didn't even have them IIRC
Yup. Yuri only had 2.75 u keys in the spacebar
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 June 2017, 06:26:56 by jihadu »

Offline vafan

« Reply #477 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 23:06:06 »
Here is an update regarding all of Nautilus' kits:
  • Base kit: No changes
  • Dvorak & Colemak: I've reconsidered my position about this kit and it would be the best for everyone to offer it.
  • Ergodox & Planck: some R2 1.5Us will be added, as well as a couple 1U R4s and R1s
  • Novelties: awaiting GMK's response regarding any issues with them.
  • Community: Nautilus will use Mito's RMK logo.
  • Spacebars: no changes

I will join this, definitely. Howerver, IMO, I think you should add some extra blank 1.5 keycaps for Ergodox or a full blank set.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Offline ashwinv11

• give me foog
« Reply #478 on: Sun, 18 June 2017, 23:16:04 »
This is gonna look sick on my banana split build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 00:57:57 »

Just use the R2 PgUp/R3 PgDn. There are no real standard when it comes to 68% keyboards and you can just remap the keys anyway...

I realize that there's no real standard for 65%/68% layouts, but if you look at the description of the base kit in the original post in this thread, it explicitly lists the White Fox, Tada68, and Saber68 as being covered by the base kit, but the base kit is missing the R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn, which are used in the default layouts of all three of those keyboards.  I'd like to use the default layout, and I'd like to use the correct profile on every key.  Would you claim that this base kit covers a Dvorak?  It's the same issue -- the keys are there but in the wrong profile.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #480 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:59:52 »

I realize that there's no real standard for 65%/68% layouts, but if you look at the description of the base kit in the original post in this thread, it explicitly lists the White Fox, Tada68, and Saber68 as being covered by the base kit, but the base kit is missing the R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn, which are used in the default layouts of all three of those keyboards.  I'd like to use the default layout, and I'd like to use the correct profile on every key.  Would you claim that this base kit covers a Dvorak?  It's the same issue -- the keys are there but in the wrong profile.

Those three keyboards are programmable, so technically they are still covered. And you cannot compare Dvorak, which can be applied to any form factor, with the placement of 2 modifier keycaps for a particular format (65%/75%).

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #481 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 12:27:43 »

Those three keyboards are programmable, so technically they are still covered. And you cannot compare Dvorak, which can be applied to any form factor, with the placement of 2 modifier keycaps for a particular format (65%/75%).

Thanks for a definitive answer.  I'll just pass on this one in favor of the other sets that do fully cover this layout.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #482 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 13:36:57 »
Thanks for a definitive answer.  I'll just pass on this one in favor of the other sets that do fully cover this layout.

Whilst I sympathize with the sentiment and understand the disappointment/decision, I feel like it's such a small thing that most people wouldn't care - some people don't use those 2 keys for pgup/dn, some people use those slots for artisans, etc. There's many ways around it to the point where I understand Zambu's decision but yea, it is complicated to please everyone.

Offline merintil

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 14:38:48 »
For confirmation, is there no R1 1u backspace key? I see that the 1u backspace key (or what looks like one) is in R2.

This isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I do prefer to have 1u backspace keys in R1.

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 15:01:06 »
Thanks for the Blue ISO enter :)

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #485 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 18:01:46 »
Any plans for a modifier-colored spacebar?

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #486 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 18:12:19 »
Haven't had chance to read the whole thread but will there be a 7u space bar option?

Offline Auk

« Reply #487 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 18:16:59 »
Haven't had chance to read the whole thread but will there be a 7u space bar option?

Yes, see both the base kit and the extra space bars kit

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 18:31:40 »
I REALLY like these alphas.

Offline ZA Design

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 23:20:52 »
Yellow and blue? Pharah keyset!

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 12:16:26 »
@Zambumon Any chance of getting an EU proxy for this. MykeyboardsEU is hosting the EU proxy for GMK Solarized Dark and at those prices it is very hard to say no. https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-solarized-dark_21/

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #491 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 12:34:04 »
@Zambumon Any chance of getting an EU proxy for this. MykeyboardsEU is hosting the EU proxy for GMK Solarized Dark and at those prices it is very hard to say no. https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-solarized-dark_21/

This is being ran on Massdrop, they don't work like that.

You could try and get MykeyboardsEU to proxy their own Massdrop order like is usually done on Taobao- but I don't think there's really much of a financial benefit.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #492 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 13:16:25 »
You could try and get MykeyboardsEU to proxy their own Massdrop order like is usually done on Taobao- but I don't think there's really much of a financial benefit.

Yea there's not a big monetary difference at all, I mean some countries have pretty heavy import tax (not VAT) but it'd be like a 20€ save or something at most. The biggest deal would be expediting the shipments along if anything because some countries' customs take forever to process international packages. In Portugal for example it takes between 4 to 8 weeks which is awful, if mykeyboards would take care of all of that then it'd probably shave off a couple weeks off of the wait time, but that's hardly worth all the effort, imo.

Plus EU orders as opposed to the Asian ones probably comprise a smaller portion - if the ISO numbers are anything to go by, adding a few extras for people that use ANSI-US (like myself) or alternative layouts, I'd imagine they'd be maybe 10% of total orders maximum. Asian orders usually pull in like 20-25%; someone's made up stats for this before for an older drop but I can't remember who/where honestly.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #493 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 15:08:58 »

Yea there's not a big monetary difference at all, I mean some countries have pretty heavy import tax (not VAT) but it'd be like a 20€ save or something at most. The biggest deal would be expediting the shipments along if anything because some countries' customs take forever to process international packages. In Portugal for example it takes between 4 to 8 weeks which is awful, if mykeyboards would take care of all of that then it'd probably shave off a couple weeks off of the wait time, but that's hardly worth all the effort, imo.

Plus EU orders as opposed to the Asian ones probably comprise a smaller portion - if the ISO numbers are anything to go by, adding a few extras for people that use ANSI-US (like myself) or alternative layouts, I'd imagine they'd be maybe 10% of total orders maximum. Asian orders usually pull in like 20-25%; someone's made up stats for this before for an older drop but I can't remember who/where honestly.
I would expect the EU order count to rise significantly if moving forward, there would be more proxies and ISO kits included in the base kits (like some of the upcoming ones)

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 15:24:32 »
I mean, almost every modern GMK drop that I know of has basic ISO support. The specialty kits that allow for more ISO compatibility always struggle or don't make MOQ. The vast, vast majority of the purchases though are obviously for ANSI users, and naturally so ANSI folks don't want to pay more to subsidize ISO- which I don't think is fair.

Just look at SA carbon, there are 1700 orders right now for Alphas, and 66 orders for ISO kits. 66, that's not even 4%.

Are there less international orders because people don't want to pay shipping/import fees?

Or are there less because there isn't really a market?

I'd love to see the data on how many orders end up going international so we could truly understand this better.

Is it it the chicken or the egg? I personally feel if the demand was truly there for ISO that Massdrop / someone else would jump in or pop up to accommodate.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 June 2017, 15:27:36 by schoolbus »

Offline xantiema

« Reply #495 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:32:35 »
I mean, almost every modern GMK drop that I know of has basic ISO support. The specialty kits that allow for more ISO compatibility always struggle or don't make MOQ. The vast, vast majority of the purchases though are obviously for ANSI users, and naturally so ANSI folks don't want to pay more to subsidize ISO- which I don't think is fair.

Just look at SA carbon, there are 1700 orders right now for Alphas, and 66 orders for ISO kits. 66, that's not even 4%.

Are there less international orders because people don't want to pay shipping/import fees?

Or are there less because there isn't really a market?

I'd love to see the data on how many orders end up going international so we could truly understand this better.

Is it it the chicken or the egg? I personally feel if the demand was truly there for ISO that Massdrop / someone else would jump in or pop up to accommodate.

Yup, if Massdrop had a european proxy, those stats would look much different

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:34:39 »
Apparently Tai-Hao made a copy of this set! Right before it goes on GB!

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2501

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #497 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:36:41 »

Yup, if Massdrop had a european proxy, those stats would look much different

I just don't think that's true. And I'd encourage you to look at group buys based Internationally as evidence.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88361.0

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #498 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:37:55 »

yea... they showed that set at computex

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #499 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 16:38:09 »

That's not really a copy of this set, that's a copy of danger zone

http://imgur.com/uChIaQH