Author Topic: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 8-2)  (Read 62993 times)

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 04:49:54 »
Can sp get some more machines or something... pls

Offline doom2

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 13:51:19 »
I've PM'ed crapiface on reddit to see if we can get this off the ground.

For reference, here is the original GB page, with kits and all that.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:48:00 »
With the current SP queue, I'd expect this in 2019 lol

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 16:24:57 »
Thanks for contacting him, I really hope this gets going!

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 19:38:21 »
Should I pick this up, what skills do I need?

Offline Atredl

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 20:53:21 »

As in running the GB? You either need to be more well known or have the backing of someone trustworthy.

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 23:27:02 »

As in running the GB? You either need to be more well known or have the backing of someone trustworthy.

I have no fear of getting scammed as long as we use PayPal.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 23:48:03 »
The group buy simply needs to be handed over to MassDrop or other such company that can handle this type of thing so reputation isn't a huge thing.

As for PayPal, if going with Signature Plastics, the buy period would be pretty far out and depending on when the money is taken, you might be well outside a refund window before there's a problem.

MaxKeys and MassDrop or Originative would be a good duo here unless people are willing to wait until slots open up for SP SA.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 00:08:48 »
So is there anything that people, other than OP can do to make this gb happen at all

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 22:59:47 »
So is there anything that people, other than OP can do to make this gb happen at all

If they want to, sure.  Someone can take the info already known, throw that into KLE for a base level of mockups, then see if MaxKeys is willing to produce it.  Otherwise?  The set is in limbo while we wait to see when SP will allow orders again for doubleshot SA sets.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 23:07:56 »
This set makes sense only if it's SP SA otherwise ... no need for it at all.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 01:49:08 »
Why does it necessarily need to be SP SA, why not MaxKeys SA? Should be the same right? Or at least very close

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 01:57:02 »
Why does it necessarily need to be SP SA, why not MaxKeys SA? Should be the same right? Or at least very close
Gotta get good compatibility kits

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline doom2

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 12:13:42 »

I've been in touch with Crapiface via reddit. He's hoping to post some kit ideas soon. Also looking for somebody to do renders. Seen a lot of Oblotzky's work, but if you know someone else, let me know!  :thumb:

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 12:30:02 »

I've been in touch with Crapiface via reddit. He's hoping to post some kit ideas soon. Also looking for somebody to do renders. Seen a lot of Oblotzky's work, but if you know someone else, let me know!  :thumb:

Ready to rock'n'roll, I'll gladly help out designing the kits to ensure great compatibility

Offline doom2

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 12:38:08 »

Ready to rock'n'roll, I'll gladly help out designing the kits to ensure great compatibility

:eek: Thanks! I'll get him in touch with you!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 13:33:01 »
Pls make this happen. I can't wait!

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 13:39:19 »

HYPE!

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 14:07:57 »

HYPE!

Ill be so happy if this happens.

Offline doom2

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 17:15:59 »
Hey everyone, the OP has been updated. Please leave your comments and I'll make sure OP sees them.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 18:41:16 »
In the updated "big kit" i noticed the 1u /| is grey instead of blue. Normally it's made to match the alpha color. Then symmetry like this is possible.

On the subject of one big kit. Those of us that already have calm depths are just looking to add in compatibility, not buy a whole other set. Having smaller kits doesn't take away anything from those that are buying for the first time, they just buy what they need.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 15:45:43 »
In the updated "big kit" i noticed the 1u /| is grey instead of blue. Normally it's made to match the alpha color. Then symmetry like this is possible.

Show Image

On the subject of one big kit. Those of us that already have calm depths are just looking to add in compatibility, not buy a whole other set. Having smaller kits doesn't take away anything from those that are buying for the first time, they just buy what they need.

I'm currently looking at the possiblity of doing and adapter kit for the R1 guys in a smaller kit. The only problem is... well see Update 5-25.

Offline kevinzavier

Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 5-25)
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 16:16:14 »
I think MaxKeys would be better, even if it means a loss in compatibility? You should do a poll for SA DSA or MaxKeys SA.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:32:03 »
I think MaxKeys would be better, even if it means a loss in compatibility? You should do a poll for SA DSA or MaxKeys SA.

I will put up a poll tomorrow. I've updated the post again!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 00:51:47 »

The set will sell well regardless of those compatibility kits.  I think the importance of them is a bit overstated.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 01:28:52 »

The set will sell well regardless of those compatibility kits.  I think the importance of them is a bit overstated.
Lol. Then what is the point of making any set ever?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 02:25:10 »

Lol. Then what is the point of making any set ever?

I'm referring to the compatibility kits being overstated in their importance within a set. 

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 06:56:08 »
People don't want compatibility kits to maximize profits for the GB runner, they want them because they want compatibility for their keyboards.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 11:22:34 »
Id still vote for SP, i wouldn't waste this colorway if its going to be made without compatibility kits and subpar quality.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 22:46:50 »
People don't want compatibility kits to maximize profits for the GB runner, they want them because they want compatibility for their keyboards.

Yes but it's an item that provides extras to a very small population.  Blanks can cover any caps missing for the odd layouts requiring those specialty sets.  That or check with MaxKeys to see about making the missing keys.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 23:18:38 »

Yes but it's an item that provides extras to a very small population.  Blanks can cover any caps missing for the odd layouts requiring those specialty sets.  That or check with MaxKeys to see about making the missing keys.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 00:29:08 »
For one thing, you can't simply just buy proper blanks for any set (not to mention it'd look bad to have a mostly printed set with a blank here and there).  And another, by that logic no keyset should have any compatibility outside the normal 104 since you can just buy blanks.  Heck, don't even bother with normal sets at all, just use blanks.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 09:06:23 »
I want alt Cyan esc, enter,spacebar, and arrows!

made this render for reference.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 14:31:13 »
Id still vote for SP, i wouldn't waste this colorway if its going to be made without compatibility kits and subpar quality.

Once this hit Reddit it was a whirlwind of votes for MaxKeys and not caring about potentially poor quality. I agree it feels like a wasted opportunity. The one stipulation here is that I'd need it to be done through MD or O.Co or KeyClack or some business so that I have some confidence in being able to get my money back outside of PP protection and general confidence in the runner being substantially invested in seeing its completion in a timely manner.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 14:55:21 »
For one thing, you can't simply just buy proper blanks for any set (not to mention it'd look bad to have a mostly printed set with a blank here and there).  And another, by that logic no keyset should have any compatibility outside the normal 104 since you can just buy blanks.  Heck, don't even bother with normal sets at all, just use blanks.

MaxKeys would cover a majority of the need.  That's my point.  There's small amounts they might not cover and that's typically stuff like 1u modifiers for ortholinear keyboards and a few other things.  Otherwise, MaxKeys is at about a point where SP was originally with SA caps - missing some keys for newer layouts and kerning issues but otherwise able to produce sets and kits that will cover most keyboards.

Offline maximm

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 15:11:25 »

MaxKeys would cover a majority of the need.  That's my point.  There's small amounts they might not cover and that's typically stuff like 1u modifiers for ortholinear keyboards and a few other things.  Otherwise, MaxKeys is at about a point where SP was originally with SA caps - missing some keys for newer layouts and kerning issues but otherwise able to produce sets and kits that will cover most keyboards.

Thats BS. MaxKeys are for example missing ISO compatibility which 20% of users use. They also do not make NORDEUK kits.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #136 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 15:29:15 »

Thats BS. MaxKeys are for example missing ISO compatibility which 20% of users use. They also do not make NORDEUK kits.

Still covers a large amount of the keyboard buying population.  Again, you could likely run a MaxKeys run while sitting in queue for SP and still have ample time between runs the way things are going with SP and people already waiting to get into the queue again.  That or do as some other buys have done and run it on DSA or such while waiting for a slot in the SA queue.  Seems to have worked out for Oblivion.  A GMK/SA duo would work out well, covering the fans of SA while also covering the fans of GMK.

Offline boogiemanspud

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 22:35:55 »
I made an account just for this IC.  I've been wanting an Calm Depths forever.  After wanting one for about two years, I decided to see if anyone wanted to trade for a full Chocolatier set with modifiers, novelties etc.  Very surprised to see they were going from $500+, to me that means the demand for these caps is very high, high enough to warrant another run. 

One question, why are the letters on the render so small?  Part of the appeal to me is that the original had large centered letters.  If only SP can make large centered letters, I'd gladly wait til 2018 to get them.

I'm fine with MaxKeys as long as the colors are close and there are large centered letters.  As far as profile, I'd only buy SA.  After using SA, there's no way I'd want any other profile.  I'm fine with MaxKeys, but honestly, I'm also fine with SP, even with the 2018 wait time.  I don't really care how long it takes, as long as we can get Calm Depths in SA profile.

IDK how much of a pain it would be, but it would be nice to see 60% kits as not everyone wants full sets, but a full set would be just fine if it simplifies ordering and the manufacturing process.

As much as I want a Calm Depths now, I don't want one with tiny letters.  To me, this really hinges on that.  IMO it would be worth the wait for large letters.  If it goes SP route, it will also allow oddball adapter kits and such.  I don't know what the novelties were as I've never seen them, but with SP and the blessing of the original maker, they probably could re-produce them.  I seriously doubt that they would get rid of the tooling for novelties as it's a major investment.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 05:57:04 »

Still covers a large amount of the keyboard buying population.  Again, you could likely run a MaxKeys run while sitting in queue for SP and still have ample time between runs the way things are going with SP and people already waiting to get into the queue again.  That or do as some other buys have done and run it on DSA or such while waiting for a slot in the SA queue.  Seems to have worked out for Oblivion.  A GMK/SA duo would work out well, covering the fans of SA while also covering the fans of GMK.

Does anyone know if maxkey can offer customization of sculpt? AFAIK they only had 12343 (had the purple/white and black/white sets)....

Running it on both profiles would affect the number of participants per profile... I think that's what happened to oblivion. Unless someone orders the rest of the sets to meet the MOQ, both profiles would end up not being run at all.

As someone who has compared the mk and sp SA keycap, I must say that MK isn't any slouch but the problem is that they can only offer that pricing at very high quantities... So they most probably would offer the sets in the 127-ish keys they did last time.

I made an account just for this IC.  I've been wanting an Calm Depths forever.  After wanting one for about two years, I decided to see if anyone wanted to trade for a full Chocolatier set with modifiers, novelties etc.  Very surprised to see they were going from $500+, to me that means the demand for these caps is very high, high enough to warrant another run. 

One question, why are the letters on the render so small?  Part of the appeal to me is that the original had large centered letters.  If only SP can make large centered letters, I'd gladly wait til 2018 to get them.

I'm fine with MaxKeys as long as the colors are close and there are large centered letters.  As far as profile, I'd only buy SA.  After using SA, there's no way I'd want any other profile.  I'm fine with MaxKeys, but honestly, I'm also fine with SP, even with the 2018 wait time.  I don't really care how long it takes, as long as we can get Calm Depths in SA profile.

IDK how much of a pain it would be, but it would be nice to see 60% kits as not everyone wants full sets, but a full set would be just fine if it simplifies ordering and the manufacturing process.

As much as I want a Calm Depths now, I don't want one with tiny letters.  To me, this really hinges on that.  IMO it would be worth the wait for large letters.  If it goes SP route, it will also allow oddball adapter kits and such.  I don't know what the novelties were as I've never seen them, but with SP and the blessing of the original maker, they probably could re-produce them.  I seriously doubt that they would get rid of the tooling for novelties as it's a major investment.

1. Mk and SP use the same font, LARGE ones. lol
2. there are moq's, if you only run a GB for 60% most probably you cant meet those quantities. that would be a waste of time for the manufacturer and the gb runner.
3. again, no tiny letters on SA profile unless you are talking about the vortex DSA caps which had small legends.

Refer to the render i made (the alt enter,esc,arrow,spacebars are my suggestion)

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 05:59:11 by potatobot »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:20:19 »
Does anyone know if maxkey can offer customization of sculpt? AFAIK they only had 12343 (had the purple/white and black/white sets)....

112343 have been what all the Maxkey SA sets are, from running SA Taboo I was told adding anything other than the standard layouts that have been sold (the base 104 + small amount of adapter keys) would be priced at their novelty costs, if even available.
Those novelty charges were individually by profile & width, and at over $10 per key @100 moq, quickly becomes unrealistic unless Maxkey changes their novelty pricing or builds new molds themselves.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 10:22:31 by Arallu »

Offline boogiemanspud

« Reply #140 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 14:00:27 »

1. Mk and SP use the same font, LARGE ones. lol
2. there are moq's, if you only run a GB for 60% most probably you cant meet those quantities. that would be a waste of time for the manufacturer and the gb runner.
3. again, no tiny letters on SA profile unless you are talking about the vortex DSA caps which had small legends.

Refer to the render i made (the alt enter,esc,arrow,spacebars are my suggestion)

Show Image

1.  Good to hear it's a large font, the render in the OP is what made me wonder as it looks small.

2.  That's what I figured.  I'm totally fine with a full size kit, my stand alone numpad will want a facelift too :)

Man, I'm getting excited!

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 14:42:21 »
Wait so this is DSA now? I've been following it for a while but not closely. No chance for even MaxKey SA?

Offline boogiemanspud

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 16:03:18 »
Wait so this is DSA now? I've been following it for a while but not closely. No chance for even MaxKey SA?

It's my understanding they are deciding between DSA or MaxKeys SA.  I personally hope they go SA.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 16:32:13 »

It's my understanding they are deciding between DSA or MaxKeys SA.  I personally hope they go SA.

Oh I see in the first post the change to DSA/Maxkey SA, that's ashame.
Don't be scared by long times.
Finalize the kits, get some quotes, a vendor and launch and get in the queue.
There's been 2 or 3 SP GBs launched since this IC was started.

« Last Edit: Mon, 29 May 2017, 17:26:43 by Arallu »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 00:12:35 »

Oh I see in the first post the change to DSA/Maxkey SA, that's ashame.
Don't be scared by long times.
Finalize the kits, get some quotes, a vendor and launch and get in the queue.
There's been 2 or 3 SP GBs launched since this IC was started.

It's not that huge a problem.  SP can be used in the future if another run is desired.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 01:52:17 »
Maxkey typesetting is more horrible than already horrible SP's doubleshots. I have a dream about SP remaking their doubleshot moulds, working with seasoned typographer to make the typeset a lot better.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 02:37:38 »
Maxkey typesetting is more horrible than already horrible SP's doubleshots. I have a dream about SP remaking their doubleshot moulds, working with seasoned typographer to make the typeset a lot better.

Rumor has it it's the old Comtec France SA tooling that MaxKeys bought complete with all the old issues SP had originally with SA.  If so, we'd at least know what they are and be able to work on getting them fixed.  The problem is more MaxKeys willingness to fix them rather than just crank out set after set with the molds they've already got.  Hopefully they'll work with the community on making improvements.  The community would certainly benefit from it and throw money at them in the process.

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 03:11:48 »
I feel like this set needs to be manufactured in SA profile and isn't suited at all to DSA. And the post with the cyan highlights just really goes against the theme of this set, to be calm and mellow, cyan is bright and not mellow. Any way.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:58:54 »
I feel like this set needs to be manufactured in SA profile and isn't suited at all to DSA. And the post with the cyan highlights just really goes against the theme of this set, to be calm and mellow, cyan is bright and not mellow. Any way.

Eh, the colors themselves would be fine on most any profile.  Seems like people are feeling specifically nostalgic for SA which is fine but I also see no reason why this colorway can't run as another profile as well.  It's not really an either-or decision in the long run, though a decision will need to be made about this specific run.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 00:03:30 »

Eh, the colors themselves would be fine on most any profile.  Seems like people are feeling specifically nostalgic for SA which is fine but I also see no reason why this colorway can't run as another profile as well.  It's not really an either-or decision in the long run, though a decision will need to be made about this specific run.

I'll only buy a set if it's SP SA.