Author Topic: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 8-2)  (Read 63030 times)

Offline h3xadat

Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 5-25)
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 00:25:23 »
I'll only buy a set if it's SP SA.

+1 for SP SA

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 22:45:05 »
I feel like this set needs to be manufactured in SA profile and isn't suited at all to DSA. And the post with the cyan highlights just really goes against the theme of this set, to be calm and mellow, cyan is bright and not mellow. Any way.

Eh, the colors themselves would be fine on most any profile.  Seems like people are feeling specifically nostalgic for SA which is fine but I also see no reason why this colorway can't run as another profile as well.  It's not really an either-or decision in the long run, though a decision will need to be made about this specific run.

I'll only buy a set if it's SP SA.

I'm sure there are plenty that will want SA.  I'm also sure that there are plenty that will want some other profile.  There's no reason the set need be restricted to a single profile.  Additional runs on other profiles can always occur if people want them.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 22:09:05 »
I'm in only for a full sculpted set. SP SA is what I know of prefer, but I've never had a Max Key set so perhaps it could be made by them? Who has any experience with them and could share info on the quality of the keys?
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 22:12:12 »
I'm in for anything other than SP SA. Not that I don't like the set, just don't feel like waiting that long.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 20:28:25 »
why cant we just run it on another profile, then have it on queue for the SA profile. we know thats going to take awhile.

Edit: is this going to be via a vendor? or a traditional GB? Since some have issues with traditional gbs..

we also have to take into account that vendors have queues.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 21:09:06 »
why cant we just run it on another profile, then have it on queue for the SA profile. we know thats going to take awhile.

I wouldn't mind this idea. With the issues MaxKeys has with their sets, I wouldn't be interested in anything other than SP for SA profile. Also, I think OP originally said something about MD which gives protection for the long wait SP is bound to have but that MD probably has their own queue. The idea that selling sets from MaxKeys and then a set through MD could potentially split the ability to reach high MOQ, they also wouldn't really be the same set as SP provides superior legends and more compatibility.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 21:15:32 »
superior legends? as in how the lettering looks like? I feel like thats a big deal. But id rather get a group buy that ships next year from maxkeys with limited compatability than something will all compatibility that ships 2019.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 21:23:46 »
superior legends? as in how the lettering looks like? I feel like thats a big deal. But id rather get a group buy that ships next year from maxkeys with limited compatability than something will all compatibility that ships 2019.

They used to have legend inconsistency but they may have fixed it, at least from a glance at what people post. "SHIF T" "Back Space" I think there is something with control that is weird too. Carbon is shipping April next year, if this gets into a queue in any sort of timely manner and you have patience to wait until next year then I'm not sure why you wouldn't just want a set from SP in 2018? I don't have anything against MaxKeys, I just don't think spending $80 on a set that isn't everything I want it to be (having ogled high price Calm Depths sets) isn't really saving money or time. I just think they aren't the same product.

The compatibility argument is a difficult one as if you are running a standard layout I can see why not giving a damn about other people's boards is attractive. To each their own on that.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #158 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 22:23:33 »

You have a point with the shipping dates being too far out for SP. For now i think we can have a gb via oco or zfrontier(which might be cheaper) for a maxkey with this colorway. I doubt they would follow through with the exact colorway though.

They used to have legend inconsistency but they may have fixed it, at least from a glance at what people post. "SHIF T" "Back Space" I think there is something with control that is weird too. Carbon is shipping April next year, if this gets into a queue in any sort of timely manner and you have patience to wait until next year then I'm not sure why you wouldn't just want a set from SP in 2018? I don't have anything against MaxKeys, I just don't think spending $80 on a set that isn't everything I want it to be (having ogled high price Calm Depths sets) isn't really saving money or time. I just think they aren't the same product.

The compatibility argument is a difficult one as if you are running a standard layout I can see why not giving a damn about other people's boards is attractive. To each their own on that.

Yes every vendors have timelines to follow too. If OP is planning on being listed on MD, this isn't gonna run anytime soon. My keyset has been on massdrop's queue since last year. lol

Offline doom2

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 11:53:18 »
I think someone like KeyClack might be a better vendor. As for SP vs MaxKey, while the SA queue is indeed cray, I would rather people be able to get all the kit support they want (without going 7bit crazy) and decent legends. Word on the street is that MaxKey won't make new molds to support even the most basic of kits like ISO.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 13:58:51 »
I think someone like KeyClack might be a better vendor. As for SP vs MaxKey, while the SA queue is indeed cray, I would rather people be able to get all the kit support they want (without going 7bit crazy) and decent legends. Word on the street is that MaxKey won't make new molds to support even the most basic of kits like ISO.

Are you sure  about Maxkey not doing novel keys? That would mean SP's continued unfortunate domination of the market. Saw this on /reddit this week in fact. And zfrontier is a reputable shop.
http://www.zfrontier.com/m/2012?refer=m

Offline Arallu

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 14:02:29 »

Are you sure  about Maxkey not doing novel keys? That would mean SP's continued unfortunate domination of the market. Saw this on /reddit this week in fact. And zfrontier is a reputable shop.

They may have changed their novelty prices, but when I ran SA Taboo last month it was over $10 per key, per width. Notice that novelty add-on jumps the price $30 - $40, which is alot when your set is < $90.

Offline doom2

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 14:03:20 »

MaxKey doing novelties for zFrontier and doing novelties for "western" buyers is a different thing. They're both Chinese companies ultimately supporting the Chinese market. It's probably worth at least trying, but it's far less of a guarantee than SP.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 14:15:02 »

They may have changed their novelty prices, but when I ran SA Taboo last month it was over $10 per key, per width. Notice that novelty add-on jumps the price $30 - $40, which is alot when your set is < $90.

Yikes. Thanks for the insight, neat to learn about behind the scene little things like that.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 18:25:52 »

Edit: is this going to be via a vendor? or a traditional GB? Since some have issues with traditional gbs..

That's probably what's gonna happen. I want to run it through MD.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 19:32:05 »

Has MD contacted you about it? Coz their queue is just as crazy.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 23:36:48 »

Has MD contacted you about it? Coz their queue is just as crazy.

Seems like another vendor might be a good choice in this situation.  MD can likely be used when the SP SA buy is cleared to run.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:16:30 »
Took some time today to draw up what I would propose for kits. First of all, this is of course not all the kits, there are more I'd consider for this set, see at the end of the post

#1 Alphas, split off from base kit to make Ergodox/40%/Ortho etc more accessible/cheaper

#2 Modifiers, but with the most common non-standard stuff, such as split long shift, WKL bottom row, R1 DEL/END/PAGE DOWN and stepped caps. A more GMK approach to the main kit of this set.

#3 Extension for HHKB, 65%, 75%, Minila, 60% with arrows etc (Edit: just noticed the duplicate R4 FUNC key in there, gotta remove that)

#4 Numpad

What I would add to this:
- Ergodox (maybe with text like Professional on Carbon R2 drop?)
- 40%
- Ortho/Planck
- Arrows (both base colors)
- Dvorak & Colemak
- NorDeUK (or UK and NorDe split)
- GTA spacebars
- Spacekeys (both base colors)
- Community kit
- Accent kit maybe? Using legend color
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 June 2017, 17:48:16 by Oblotzky »

Offline tialdo

Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 6-27)
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 23:59:41 »
My body is ready!

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 05:54:22 »
I am prepared. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:38:40 »
Just run it through Maxkey's SA and call it a day. I'm not prepared to wait until 2019 for things to ship.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 10:42:07 »
Tbh, I'll wait for SP if it means getting all the right kits I want.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:40:53 »
bringin the R3 func!  :))

Offline Arallu

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:48:42 »
FN > FUNC it's already burning my eyes in Carbon and Oblivion.
Also should have at least a MENU or META key
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:53:33 by Arallu »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 12:05:42 »

At the rate SP is going, you could do both.  Let the Good Enough crowd jump in on MaxKeys.  Let the Patience Is A Virtue crowd jump in on SP.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 12:13:01 »

At the rate SP is going, you could do both.  Let the Good Enough crowd jump in on MaxKeys.  Let the Patience Is A Virtue crowd jump in on SP.

I agree, I'd rather wait for it to be done properly. I plan to clack along on my keebs and keysets for decades.

Looking at the 1.25u FN key of my Valentine set, I disagree at least on that key size. Will probably put it to a community vote together with a few other things when I've progressed further through the planned kits.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 12:21:09 »

Looking at the 1.25u FN key of my Valentine set, I disagree at least on that key size. Will probably put it to a community vote together with a few other things when I've progressed further through the planned kits.

Hmm, looks ok on my Hack'd.
I get that it's small but the func word just isn't appealing to me.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 13:00:11 »

Hmm, looks ok on my Hack'd.
I get that it's small but the func word just isn't appealing to me.
Show Image

I like FN better than FUNC. We'll have to see what the community thinks about it. Once we have the renders and the kits sorted out, I'll put up a Google Form to get these "little" things sorted out.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 18:25:16 »
Guys, lemme know if you spot any actual errors. We can discuss choice of legends etc soon, gtg sleep and then figure out some of the points needing of a poll

Edit: big thanks to t0mb3ry for letting me copy paste his layouts for ergo prof/40% etc and taking the time to discuss some points

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 July 2017, 18:51:08 by Oblotzky »

Offline Arallu

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 18:32:18 »
The profiles on the modifiers look a bit off 1-1-1-2-3-4/3, quick edits! 
From my cursory glance it looks great!  :thumb:

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 18:43:32 »
It seems incredible! Please GB ASAP!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #181 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:08:49 »
Really like what I see! Specific points I like:

• Really like that there are options for ergodox keys as blanks or with legends. I know some folks gripe about ED kits with legends, but IMO legends provide an opportunity to add more visual interest to the keys.
  • Hooray for 1.75U R4 shift in the base mod kit, and having the R1 del key.

I can't speak too much to the Colevrak kit, but I do not see any overt errors in the others.

As a stretch, it'd be nice to have a 'macros' kit. In a pinch, I could scrounge together R3 keys from other kits. For reference, the board I have in mind is something like the Red Scarf II+ vB.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 20:22:26 »

ASAP could well be a wait.  If through MassDrop, there will be a long queue.  In either case, you're waiting at least 12 months to get the caps and probably longer given the need to finish things up, run the buy, give SP the money, then sit in a 12 month SA queue.

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 21:24:52 »
Definitely in for a SP SA set, I've been waiting for this to re-run since I got into mechanical keyboards so I don't mind waiting even longer for it.

I also agree that it should be FN instead of FUNC, just not a fan of that legend. Everything else looks awesome though, I'd probably end up picking up most of the kits!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:30:11 »
As a stretch, it'd be nice to have a 'macros' kit. In a pinch, I could scrounge together R3 keys from other kits. For reference, the board I have in mind is something like the Red Scarf II+ vB.

Good idea, thoughts on legends? M1 - M10 maybe? Though would need to check if those legends exist, would be overkill if they didn't have molds yet.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:33:37 »

ASAP could well be a wait.  If through MassDrop, there will be a long queue.  In either case, you're waiting at least 12 months to get the caps and probably longer given the need to finish things up, run the buy, give SP the money, then sit in a 12 month SA queue.

I assume that is the why of the asap lol.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:38:51 »
Why not maxkeys?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:42:14 »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 01:43:18 »
Why not maxkeys?

Because all the kits I posted above would not be possible, all you could get via Maxkeys is a pre-defined layout with 150something keys that cover fullsize and a few other layouts. Also a few fudged up legends like BACK SPACE and SHIF T

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 12:16:13 »
Why not maxkeys?

Keming

Not really. More because limited support for non-standard layouts.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #190 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:39:01 »
Why not maxkeys?

Keming

Not really. More because limited support for non-standard layouts.

SHIF T is a kerning issue. That is literally the name for that issue. Kerning is the spacing between characters.

This is literally called out by Oblotzsky directly before your post. So yes, really.

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
[IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 6-27)
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:42:55 »

• Really like that there are options for ergodox keys as blanks or with legends. I know some folks gripe about ED kits with legends, but IMO legends provide an opportunity to add more visual interest to the keys.

I can't speak too much to the Colevrak kit, but I do not see any overt errors in the others.

12 months? It is nothing to have a Calm Depths SA keyset I have been dreaming of forever...

--

Offline robotsokk

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 13:55:35 »

Good idea, thoughts on legends? M1 - M10 maybe? Though would need to check if those legends exist, would be overkill if they didn't have molds yet.

I think M1-M10 would work well (hopefully they already have those legends)! I will give some thought to other stuff that might work... since there's not a special theme (like SA Oblivion, where the programming/computing theme is fitting and the legends follow from that), probably shouldn't be something too over-the-top. All that said, I think M1-M10 is an excellent option that wouldn't stick out from the rest of the set.
@home      @work Swapping out boards... coming soon     wtb

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 14:04:03 »
Looks good! please make it happen asap  :thumb:

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 22:58:46 »
As much I love this set, the wait is gonna kill this for me. Too bad it can't be helped.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 02:01:33 »

12 months? It is nothing to have a Calm Depths SA keyset I have been dreaming of forever...

For some people, it's a long wait.  I've seen luthiers with multi-year waits for instruments.  12 months isn't that bad for SA caps if that's what you're after but some people aren't used to such long waits.

Offline zabuza1997

Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 7-07)
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 19:13:26 »
Bump!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 02:38:01 »
So has he decided on Maxkeys or DSA yet? And is the option of SP SA still out?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 04:34:03 »
So has he decided on Maxkeys or DSA yet? And is the option of SP SA still out?

This thread is aiming to get this done with SP in SA form. A separate thread can ofc be opened for DSA or so.

Oh, and I talked with Yanbo again, this is gonna take a while to plan/schedule etc, but the current intention is to get this done on MD.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 July 2017, 04:38:43 by Oblotzky »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 08:45:30 »
This thread is aiming to get this done with SP in SA form. A separate thread can ofc be opened for DSA or so.

Oh, and I talked with Yanbo again, this is gonna take a while to plan/schedule etc, but the current intention is to get this done on MD.

I'm glad you're getting involved. Have you considered what profile you're running this in?