Author Topic: HHKB Type-S Review  (Read 8414 times)

Offline macguy80

HHKB Type-S Review
« on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 17:55:18 »
Please bear with me, as this is my first review in a long time. Therefore, it may not be up to the usual quality standards. I also won't cover points that I feel can be found in other reviews. I will focus on aspects of the keyboard that speak to me and my experience with it. I apologize in advance if I ramble in places.

Background
My very first experience with Topre was with the 45g uniform RF 87u. I immediately had problems with typos, because it just felt too light/mushy. I upgraded to the 55g model, and the typos went away. But I wished that it were silenced... not the lovely thock, but the annoying upstroke. The only silenced 87u is the variable-weight model. I didn't want to mess with that. So I knew the way forward was the HHKB Type-S. Before you say, "Wait a minute...I own 45g 87u, and I don't have typos!" there may be one other difference.

As some of you may know, I have cerebral palsy, which I have had since birth. While the most obvious aspect of it (for those who meet me) is that I can't walk, it also affects my hands. I type with only 2-3 fingers and my thumbs on each hand. So my typing style is unconventional at best, and I can't always control what the other fingers do. This means that extra keypresses sometimes occur. This is due to spasticity, which basically means that muscles are sometimes fighting against each other. It can make typing an interesting experience, particularly on lighter switches. Heavier switches are not a problem and eliminate unintentional input, though MX Clears are overkill to the point of being painful, because the spasticity generally means I can't type without bottoming out.

Overall build quality
Some reviews have said they wish the HHKB had better build quality, ie., for the money spent, they expected better, or that it feels like a toy. I will come right out and say it. I find no problem with the HHKB, and it feels very solid to me. No complaints here. I appreciate the lightweight aspect of it greatly.

DIP switches
The first thing I did, since I have a Mac, was put it in Mac mode. All the media keys worked out of the box, no driver needed, as seems to have been necessary for older versions of the MacOS. Easy. There is an option to turn the left Meta (Command) key into Fn. Being a lefty, I very much need the left Command key. I wish there were an option to do that for the right Command key. It would be handy to have Fn more centrally located, if they couldn't have put it on the left. Using the pinky is just not an option for either hand. I guess this means hasu's controller is in my future, once the warranty expires, that is. I don't trust myself to install it without frying it though, because dexterity is not my strong suit. Hmm...

Switches, layout and typing experience
This was the sweetest surprise. While there ARE more typos than on my 87u 55g, this is a different typing experience than I had with the 45g 87u. The tactility is definitely there. I don't know if some of it is what others might call "scratchiness", but for my needs, that's not a bad thing. Or maybe the difference is the case-mounted switches?

I am surprised...no, make that flat-out amazed about how quickly I seem to be adapting to the new Backspace location. Every once in a while, I will see  ```` but it's happening less and less, and I've only been using it for about an hour or two.

I do miss dedicated arrow keys. Time will tell if it grows on me. It wouldn't be such a problem if many of my uses of arrow keys didn't require other modifiers to be held down at the same time. I would have gotten the JP Type-S instead, but I wasn't sure if the JIS layout would present other problems for me, namely the smaller space bar. I am curious enough, however, to get an HHKB Lite 2, for times when I really need arrow keys, though I know it won't feel quite as wonderful as the Type-S. The extra Fn on the left would help in this situation even if it didn't have dedicated arrow keys.

All in all, a great keyboard that I don't regret, even with the learning curve. For many, the endgame. Not my endgame, but it is amazingly close. I really want to try the HiPro next. Or maybe the RGB, with its adjustable actuation points. ;) Those will be a long way off, but I can dream.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: HHKB Type-S Review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:31:54 »
Good review, much appreciated here  :thumb: .

The ankle biters are looking at this exact same model for them to try because ALL of my keyboards are too BIG and Noisy for them to use.

Looks like I now have to buy this model but I was also interested in getting this one here;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PFU-PD-KB420W-Happy-Hacking-Keyboard-Professional-HHKB-Professional-JP-New-F-S-/162473243636?hash=item25d428f3f4:g:vBwAAOSwuAVWxfq5

Says it's Japanese yet all the legends are in English, go figure.  They want either the standard HHKB-S or the JP version here, so it looks like my home shall now allow the cursed HHKB keyboard models, which I have devoted all my time to hating them.  Nothing worse than succumbing to the kids when they gang up together in annoying me, far easier to just give in to them.

Word to everyone else out there, don't have children............
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:34:20 by Elrick »

Offline macguy80

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 21:47:09 »
I'm actually surprised how quickly I adapted to the location of the Backspace key.

If it were me, I would go for the standard Type-S. The JP  model has a tiny space bar, which makes sense if typing Japanese—spaces aren't used in the same way or with the same frequency. But in English, I think it would be a painful adjustment.

And I'm really loving the silenced sound. The Chinese clone that I previously had (RC930) doesn't sound nearly as nice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:37:55 »
And I'm really loving the silenced sound. The Chinese clone that I previously had (RC930) doesn't sound nearly as nice.

Yeah, noticed all the different responses from owners of HHKBs, Realforces and Chinese made keyboards here, but you have to understand that the MORE you pay for something, it HAS to be BETTER than the other cheaper alternatives.

HHKBs are for the youngsters due to it's very small size, which is almost 'Poker-esque'  ;D .

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:40:19 »

Yeah, noticed all the different responses from owners of HHKBs, Realforces and Chinese made keyboards here, but you have to understand that the MORE you pay for something, it HAS to be BETTER than the other cheaper alternatives.

HHKBs are for the youngsters due to it's very small size, which is almost 'Poker-esque'  ;D .

Elrick is spot on, HHKB's are for students who have no space in their dorms and can't fit an IBM F77 on their girly little desk......and just have small fingers in general.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 22:47:51 »
The interesting thing is, I like the way the HHKB feels. My first Topre keyboard was the 45G Realforce, and I thought it was just plain mushy. I had to go to the 55g Realforce before I was satisfied.

But the 45g switches in the HHKB feel great in comparison. I truly don't understand what the difference is. I know the RF boards are plate mounted. But it still doesn't explain it for me. It's not just weight, and it's not just the mounting. But what else is there?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 23:26:46 »
Elrick is spot on, HHKB's are for students who have no space in their dorms and can't fit an IBM F77 on their girly little desk......and just have small fingers in general.

Size is one thing BUT the idiot midgets want to try the HHKBs for themselves, hence you're stuck in a very hard and isolated place with them.

Unless you supply them with what they want the house goes into meltdown with no respite.  Have no idea why the HHKB is so loved but those that own it seem quite happy hence I'm hoping the brood can calm down when they get their HHKBs and stop harassing me in getting any more keyboards for them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:15:33 »
It's not just weight, and it's not just the mounting. But what else is there?

HHKB is built differently from all the Realforce keyboards or even any latest Chinese made keyboards.

Suspect when they head off too school, shall try it one time in front of my PC, to see how different the HHKB-S is to any other Thorpie-based keyboard  8) .

Offline macguy80

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:43:51 »
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Offline poq

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:33:24 »

If it were me, I would go for the standard Type-S. The JP  model has a tiny space bar, which makes sense if typing Japanese—spaces aren't used in the same way or with the same frequency. But in English, I think it would be a painful adjustment.

It's no problem for me or many other JP users, it only needs to be the size of the contact area with your thumb.

Nice review though!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 April 2017, 01:35:30 by poq »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:27:47 »
Ordered myself the new filco with silent reds. Gonna dampen the case with foam, add red o-rings. Thick PBTs. Curious if it's gonna be quieter than the type-s
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:07:32 »
Ordered myself the new filco with silent reds. Gonna dampen the case with foam, add red o-rings. Thick PBTs. Curious if it's gonna be quieter than the type-s

But it still won't have that famous HHKB typing feel which all the owners here keep praising about.  To me it's another very expensive membrane keyboard with conical springs added, so I don't see how it's price tag is up there with a brand new LZ designed keyboard.

Every time a keyboard approaches that very same price bracket, then you know you've been jacked by the HHKB Corporation  8)

Of course only speaking about it due to not having it in front of me, so I am still a little puzzled about it's fame and glorification that has spread everywhere on this planet.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 07:22:03 »

But it still won't have that famous HHKB typing feel which all the owners here keep praising about.  To me it's another very expensive membrane keyboard with conical springs added, so I don't see how it's price tag is up there with a brand new LZ designed keyboard.

Every time a keyboard approaches that very same price bracket, then you know you've been jacked by the HHKB Corporation  8)

Of course only speaking about it due to not having it in front of me, so I am still a little puzzled about it's fame and glorification that has spread everywhere on this planet.

I already have HHKB. It's great for typing, not so much for gaming.

As a matter of fact, I have 2 HHKBs, and 1 87U 55g. I like Topre for typing. Topre is Love.

That said, Topre is also a bit overrated I believe in terms of quality. There's these small quirks, like actuation force variation, spacing of the switches / caps on the board, some caps a bit twisted like 2-5 degrees that visually it just looks a tad off. That all combined makes it a very good board, but not BEST OF THE BEST in terms of build quality.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 19:24:21 »
That said, Topre is also a bit overrated I believe in terms of quality. There's these small quirks, like actuation force variation, spacing of the switches / caps on the board, some caps a bit twisted like 2-5 degrees that visually it just looks a tad off. That all combined makes it a very good board, but not BEST OF THE BEST in terms of build quality.

GEEZZUS, just spent close to $500AUD on a HHKB Type-S and now you tell me about this  :o ?

If I've known, then the midgets will have to look elsewhere for another thorpie based keyboard.  Although they don't like any of my Realforce's (55Gs) so there's not much else to choose from unless they want the various Chinese versions.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 20:00:13 »
FWIW, I don't see any quality issues with my Type-S. If they don't like the Realforce 55G, I suspect they might be happy. They feel nothing alike. I've also tried the Realforce 45G, and I greatly prefer the HHKB's feel.

For the record, I DO also like the RF 55G. But HHKB is the best 45G that I have tried.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:09:39 »

GEEZZUS, just spent close to $500AUD on a HHKB Type-S and now you tell me about this  :o ?

If I've known, then the midgets will have to look elsewhere for another thorpie based keyboard.  Although they don't like any of my Realforce's (55Gs) so there's not much else to choose from unless they want the various Chinese versions.

I also have none of those issues with my non-type-S HHKB.

The keys are PBT, and so is the space bar now that I have replaced it (probably one of only two weak spots the HHKB has).  The profile is similar to Cherry, key spacing is fine.

The other issue with mine is that nothing works through the built-in USB ports.  The ports work, but I can't get any device to work reliably when plugged in to them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline macguy80

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:14:25 »
The ports work, but I can't get any device to work reliably when plugged in to them.

Even something low-powered like a mouse?

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 05:28:47 »
The other issue with mine is that nothing works through the built-in USB ports.  The ports work, but I can't get any device to work reliably when plugged in to them.

It could mean you might have a 'bunk' HHKB so maybe you'll have to RMA it as soon as possible.  When mine comes in I will be testing mine with a usb sticks to see what happens as well as using a number of standard mice into those ports.

If mine are not working, then a claim shall be launched soon as, because I refuse to buy something that claims support, via USB ports but don't work at all.  Also due to the money spent on it I won't keep quiet if anything looks sus or is out of character, concerning this keyboard that's coming.  The midgets won't like it but they also know me by now and how I work when buying anything off Flebay.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 05:41:16 »
I had a Type S like 2 or 3 years ago, I really liked it... but all the keys made that squeak noise... It drove me crazy... At the end it was louder than my normal hhkb. I heard that others had the same problem. I couldn't live with that strange noise, so I sold it.

Does anybody know if they fixed that issue or is it still possible to get a 'squeaky' type-s if I buy one now?

Offline kekstee

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 05:47:34 »
The thing about the USB ports on the HHKB is that they are pretty low power. I don't know how they are specified exactly, but it can't be more than regular USB2 minus the keyboard it has to support. All the mice I've tried so far worked, but my USB stick doesn't, for example.

Offline poq

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 08:03:24 »
The thing about the USB ports on the HHKB is that they are pretty low power. I don't know how they are specified exactly, but it can't be more than regular USB2 minus the keyboard it has to support. All the mice I've tried so far worked, but my USB stick doesn't, for example.

IIRC they're limited to 100mA, which is pretty low.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 22:02:20 »

It could mean you might have a 'bunk' HHKB so maybe you'll have to RMA it as soon as possible.  When mine comes in I will be testing mine with a usb sticks to see what happens as well as using a number of standard mice into those ports.

If mine are not working, then a claim shall be launched soon as, because I refuse to buy something that claims support, via USB ports but don't work at all.  Also due to the money spent on it I won't keep quiet if anything looks sus or is out of character, concerning this keyboard that's coming.  The midgets won't like it but they also know me by now and how I work when buying anything off Flebay.

Except I got mine secondhand from QLD for not very much shipped from QLD so any warranty is long since void.

AFAICR the ports do recognise some USB sticks, but not for long enough to do anything useful with them.

It doesn't bother me much as my workflow was already based around not having USB ports in the keyboard, so I haven't bothered much about digging for more details.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ