Author Topic: Do you LIKE when your GMK set starts to shine?  (Read 47378 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Do you LIKE when your GMK set starts to shine?
« on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:04:02 »
My Skeletor set has started to shine. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Next set is GMK Terminal so I have a couple of months.

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
Re: Do you LIKE when your GMK set starts to shine?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:15:56 »
My Skeletor set has started to shine. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Next set is GMK Terminal so I have a couple of months.
How long did it take to start shining? My first GMK set only got to me about a month ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:17:49 »
How long did it take to start shining? My first GMK set only got to me about a month ago.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It has been shining since last month but it has gotten REALLY noticeable this month. I got the set in November I think.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:25:21 »
Yes. It's part of why I like ABS so much.

My old GMK set is REAL shiny.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:33:00 »
I like to just rest my fingers on the ASD keys and feel the texture. It's not long before my Dolch set at work has reached trashed status.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:41:50 »
I only have my single set of Hydro, and I know it'll start shining someday. It's just something I've come to accept, or else I would've bought a backup set!

However, I have wondered if it's possible to carefully sand off the shine. I bet you could take some extremely high grit sandpaper (like 1000 or 2000 grit) and just take off the tiniest top layer without making a rough mess of the key. I'd try it myself, but I haven't got any shiny keys yet  :)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:26:26 »
After Terminal is too shiny to use on my DD I will probably try a PBT set. I ALMOST bought that Star Trek PBT set since it was dark and GID. I have spent way too much this year though. Cutting myself off haha

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:57:47 »
I wish they would never shine. I want that like new look and texture forever

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 19:28:42 »
I LOVE IT

it's part of the game rly, but only when it shines after your own use
not by others :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:31:35 »

Got any pictures of your shiny Skeletor? I just ordered mine this weekend, and I was curious what it'd look like once it became shiny.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:36:05 »
It's what true enthusiasts strive for.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:41:03 »
I use two OG Cherry sets now, both are beige ones. The first is an ANSI 1800 set, the other set is a really rare, one with an XT layout with original mods with hat design. I am using the second one at work along with modern OG Cherry icon modifiers. This last is a very interesting set, that I am not sure if it is made of ABS, because the keys feel more dry than ABS, closer in feeling to PBT. I doubt they are PBT though, but I have been using it continuously for several months so far with no signs of shine yet, it still feels very dry to me. I know it came from a rare keyboard that was sold as part of a computer attached to some sort of laboratory equipment, I do not have any data on it though.

The classic ANSI set is now very shiny and it feels nice to me as the keys are very easy to type on, because they feel like cradles for the finger tips. Very nice.

The XT set is sort of strange as it feels more like PBT. I hope it start showing some shine by the end of the year so the ABS true feeling will finally revels. You right, I like shiny ABS thick double shots.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:42:52 by ideus »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:43:21 »
I use two OG Cherry sets now, both are beige ones. The first is an ANSI 1800 set, the other set is a really rare, one with an XT layout with original mods with hat design. I am using the second one at work along with modern OG Cherry icon modifiers. This last is a very interesting set, that I am not sure if it is made of ABS, because the keys feel more dry than ABS, closer in feeling to PBT. I doubt they are PBT though, but I have been using it continuously for several months so far with no signs of shine yet, it still feels very dry to me. I know it came from a rare keyboard that was sold as part of a computer attached to some sort of laboratory equipment, I do not have any data on it though.

The classic ANSI set is now very shiny and it feels nice to me as the keys are very easy to type on, because they feel like cradles for the finger tips. Very nice.

The XT set is sort of strange as it feels more like PBT. I hope it start showing some shine by the end of the year so the ABS true feeling will finally revels. You right, I like shiny ABS double thick double shots.

god bless OG cherry

i wanna do a build with some OG cherry caps at some point

might do a leeku 1800 over the summer or in the fall
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:50:10 »

Got any pictures of your shiny Skeletor? I just ordered mine this weekend, and I was curious what it'd look like once it became shiny.

It is not super shiny. Just some shine. I will try to get a picture of it in the sunlight.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:04:41 »
I think uniformly shined ABS caps feel and look great.

Also I've never had an issue with ABS caps shining, I've been using my GMK TA alphas daily for a year and they don't have any shine yet.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:08:12 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:37:08 »
I think uniformly shined ABS caps feel and look great.

Also I've never had an issue with ABS caps shining, I've been using my GMK TA alphas daily for a year and they don't have any shine yet.

i've noticed it's not as bad on white caps

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:52:45 »
Shine is inevitable.

Its bound to happen with all sets, some more prone than others.

Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 02:05:30 »
I don't LIKE abs sets shining too much :blank:
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 05:32:19 »
Yes. It's part of why I like ABS so much.

My old GMK set is REAL shiny.

+1

Shine till I die
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 07:38:37 »
I don't like it, but you have to live with it because it's inevitable.

Offline orpheo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 09:26:21 »
I like it when it's shiny so the seller sold them for 20€  :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:28:08 »

i could shave in the reflection of my dolch caps

Offline m3ll3n

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 17:25:58 »
personally I prefer not shiny, but shiny doesn't really bother me that much  :thumb:

Offline justinmtype

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 14:54:32 »
Why doesn't GMK do PBT?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 15:03:02 »
Why doesn't GMK do PBT?

Right?! It's like, duh. Just do it and you'll make lots of money! Easy peasy!

Offline hapakey

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 15:14:06 »
If Signature Plastics can't do it why could GMK?

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 15:17:36 »
If Signature Plastics can't do it why could GMK?

SP has done doubleshot PBT

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 15:19:38 »
I mean, sure, they can make the tooling for it, but they obviously don't see it as beneficial.
Rumors have gone that BSP owns the original Cherry PBT tooling. Can GMK make their own? Possibly. Do they see it as a productive venture? Obviously not at this point.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 16:28:25 »
Why doesn't GMK do PBT?

It requires different tooling than ABS. GMK does not own the tooling for it.

I mean, sure, they can make the tooling for it, but they obviously don't see it as beneficial.
Rumors have gone that BSP owns the original Cherry PBT tooling. Can GMK make their own? Possibly. Do they see it as a productive venture? Obviously not at this point.

BSP does own the original Cherry tooling (as far as I'm aware).

New tooling for PBT caps would likely cost well into five, possibly six figures. Not including the troubleshooting that would have to be done.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:58:38 »
Why is GMK so far beyond any other keycap I've tried? For touch typing, it's the bee's knees. And I was die-hard obsessed with PBT at one point :X

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 17:06:54 »
Why is GMK so far beyond any other keycap I've tried? For touch typing, it's the bee's knees. And I was die-hard obsessed with PBT at one point :X

Probably has more to do with Cherry profile than the keycap material.

But as far as the keycap feel goes the profile, material, surface texture, and thickness all matter.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:10:27 »
If they are going to shine, I'd prefer uniform shine across the board.

Unfortunately this is rarely the case.

Although I did salvage an old NEC keyboard, and all keycaps are shiny to very shiny.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 21:48:25 »
No, but I don't type on them anyway. I can't stop building MX based boards with beautiful gmk sets but I always grab a topre or bs board  :'(
keyboards.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 22:02:40 »
No, but I don't type on them anyway. I can't stop building MX based boards with beautiful gmk sets but I always grab a topre or bs board  :'(

A cognitive dissonance problem?

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 12:56:05 »
Would we be able to see some photos of well-used GMK sets, please?

Offline ceflame

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:15:13 »

Here's my favorite pic, from this album.

Offline atomicus

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:46:05 »
Shine is what keeps me from buying ABS keycaps. I despise and loathe it. I've fallen in love with some keycap designs, but I will never ever own a set of ABS keycaps again, so intense is my unremitting hatred of shine.

Why PBT caps remain so illusive, particularly in Cherry profile, and even more so in ISO (rarer than gold), is a bit of a mystery given how much I see people requesting them. Yet all I see is ABS being regurgitated over and over and over. That said, I can't help but think that if all these lovely keycap sets looked brand new for that much longer, people would be more reluctant to purchase new ones. ABS has a built in obsolescence with the shine, so people will just get another set. May sound cynical, but it's pretty smart from a business point of view I suppose! I am sure my refusal to buy ABS puts me in the minority.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:47:36 by atomicus »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:54:14 »
The last time my wife brought her Ducky home for a cleaning. After cleaning and washing caps (denture tabs), I took these pics of her clean keyboard. That OG Dolch set was in mint condition when I put on her board a year ago.

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 14:35:49 »

Show Image

Thanks for the photos, ceflame and MJ45.  They don't look bad at all imo.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 16:27:47 »
GMK and Cherry sets are not for those that feel or think that shine on key caps is a defect; therefore, the title of the threat should be rephrase for something like: "If you like ABS, how do you feel about your GMK or Cherry sets getting shine?"

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 17:08:22 »

Show Image

Thank you for this. It gave me an inspiration to finally use my GMK sets without worrying about them shining

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:38:19 »

Show Image

Thank you for this. It gave me an inspiration to finally use my GMK sets without worrying about them shining

This pic is when I realized shine is something we should strive for:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5755/21725582734_b7bb592d86_k.jpg

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:42:01 »
that is beautiful romevi

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 19:56:00 »
this thread reminds me that i need a GMK set for my LZ so i can get some wicked shine on it

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:39:02 »
this thread reminds me that i need a GMK set for my LZ so i can get some wicked shine on it

"Wicked shine" is the kind of phrase you expect to hear in, say, Chelsea or Everett, but I didn't know it had made it all the way out to Amherst. 

Meanwhile, slightly more on topic, my old Northgate Omnikey boards all have some shine on the caps.  To me, they're still great-looking boards, and fun to type on. 
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 20:40:43 »

"Wicked shine" is the kind of phrase you expect to hear in, say, Chelsea or Everett, but I didn't know it had made it all the way out to Amherst. 

Meanwhile, slightly more on topic, my old Northgate Omnikey boards all have some shine on the caps.  To me, they're still great-looking boards, and fun to type on.

i'm from brooklyn don't lump me in with these fratboys

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 06:35:36 »
Shine on you crazy diamonddd.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 02:25:50 »
Dark colors show much more shine.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 01 April 2017, 20:47:39 »
One of my favorite wear pics, cookie's OG HHKB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64886.msg1518991#msg1518991

Thought there was a side pic of that spacebar somewhere but I can't find it.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 22:30:03 »
One of my favorite wear pics, cookie's OG HHKB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64886.msg1518991#msg1518991

Thought there was a side pic of that spacebar somewhere but I can't find it.

That's a keyboard that's seen a LOT of use! :eek:

Mind you, we have nice textured PBT Topre space bars now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 01:57:52 »
Haven't had any GMK set shine up as bad as I've seen here, but definitely not a big fan of oily slick keys XD

Offline northpark

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 07:52:38 »
Sometimes the 3d renderings people release for keycap sets have an entire glossy look.  Imagine my disappointment when I got my first DSA caps in the mail...

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 21:23:45 »
Though it's incredibly faint as of now, my Skeletor home row is starting to shine after about a week of using it at work and home. I think I actually kinda dig it. Adds even more character to the set. Got my PBT set for my no-shine days.

Offline gerdo

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 22:50:02 »
I prefer it didn't although to be fair I don't use keysets for long enough for shine to start showing! :P

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 07:23:51 »
Sometimes the 3d renderings people release for keycap sets have an entire glossy look.  Imagine my disappointment when I got my first DSA caps in the mail...

I suppose that you are aware that DSA key caps are not made by GMK. Just asking because the thread is all about the last.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 23:54:52 »
Was thinking about this thread because my GMK Skeletor set is starting to change in feel as it smooths out and starts to shine. I really like it. The smoothness that they're starting to develop feels very good, and it makes them even nicer to type on.

Offline Acclaim

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:02:58 »

But as far as the keycap feel goes the profile, material, surface texture, and thickness all matter.

New here, but... Doesn't PBT also come in the Cherry profile a la EnjoyPBT?

Honestly, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on profile and material... This is even before layout, switch, and board choices! It's going to kill me, haha.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:04:48 »

Honestly, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on profile and material... This is even before layout, switch, and board choices! It's going to kill me, haha.
Yeah, you can get pbt caps in Cherry profile.

Cherry profile is all I use on my MX boards because imo it's the best profile.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 21:07:30 »

Do your own testing. For me, I began and end with OG Cherry, and for the sake of similarity GMK. Best balance of height, profile, thickness, legends consistency and boldness (I hate the irregularities in die subbed PBT). I'd say that if a legend is not just perfect you just do not need it in front of you all the time.

Offline frostylove

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 22:37:47 »
For me, shiny keys look awesome but feels bad
I love the texture of new GMKs, but they won't last more than a month if you use a lot
So the best solution to me is PBT dye-subs

P.S. Leopold made some excellent PBT dye-subs one year before but now discontinued :(
Suhr Custom Standard Carve Top
Manson DL-1 Matt Bellamy Signature
Marshall JVM410H + 1960A
Lovepedal Kanji Enternity

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 23:52:54 »
For as long as they've existed, keyboards have been tools. A peculiar thing has happened in recent years, however. Keyboards are now our art projects, and they are as beautiful as they are utilitarian.

That said, there is something about a pristine, fresh-out-the-box, fully tuned, just assembled, never-before-used keyboard that makes us want to put it behind glass and just look at it for all eternity. It's like opening a new book for the first time; buying a new car or bike; or like a new pair of jeans. They have all yet to fulfill their purpose.

Conversely, there is something wistful about a keyboard that has shiny caps, a beaten up case, and super smooth switches because of the day-in and day-out use it's endured. It's like a book whose pages are falling out because you've read it so may times; the bike with bald tires and the car with seats that fit your exact shape; and the pair of jeans that are tearing to shreds because you wore them every single day. These things have served their purpose day-in and day-out just like our keyboards. They have not only been used, but loved.

This happens every time we get something new. We know that their newness will slowly be replaced by a lovingly used and wistful version of that object. All that remains of that once perfect object is the memory of it.

So, I do love the shiny abs keycaps on the board I've enjoyed typing on every single day, but I also covet the once new & perfect version of it too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 23:56:31 by gnmar2723 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 08:55:59 »
It is not related with brand newness, it is more related with having those features you want to be included in your keyboard. There is nothing interesting in a brand new never used stock keyboard that came with the ThinkStation I just got for the office.

Offline jcc04

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:36:33 »
GMK's shine just makes me depressed and pretty much I solely focus on EnjoyPBT unless it's carbon.

Offline esylvester

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:13:23 »
For as long as they've existed, keyboards have been tools. A peculiar thing has happened in recent years, however. Keyboards are now our art projects, and they are as beautiful as they are utilitarian.

That said, there is something about a pristine, fresh-out-the-box, fully tuned, just assembled, never-before-used keyboard that makes us want to put it behind glass and just look at it for all eternity. It's like opening a new book for the first time; buying a new car or bike; or like a new pair of jeans. They have all yet to fulfill their purpose.

Conversely, there is something wistful about a keyboard that has shiny caps, a beaten up case, and super smooth switches because of the day-in and day-out use it's endured. It's like a book whose pages are falling out because you've read it so may times; the bike with bald tires and the car with seats that fit your exact shape; and the pair of jeans that are tearing to shreds because you wore them every single day. These things have served their purpose day-in and day-out just like our keyboards. They have not only been used, but loved.

This happens every time we get something new. We know that their newness will slowly be replaced by a lovingly used and wistful version of that object. All that remains of that once perfect object is the memory of it.

So, I do love the shiny abs keycaps on the board I've enjoyed typing on every single day, but I also covet the once new & perfect version of it too.

That was beautiful

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 14 June 2017, 11:52:42 »

Wow. You are a huge dork.

More
JK That was beautiful and speaks exactly how I feel about whether I really want to use something I got new.

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 19:59:01 »
lol I actually forgot that I had written that. Glad some people understand the feeling I was trying to convey :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 22:15:05 »

Do you find yourself buying two of everything - one to keep, pristine, behind glass and one to use?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 09:55:05 »
lol I actually forgot that I had written that. Glad some people understand the feeling I was trying to convey :p
Yes very well written man and says everything I could've come up with, just better. :D

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 00:05:57 »
Do you find yourself buying two of everything - one to keep, pristine, behind glass and one to use?

Yes and no.

I do have duplicates of some stuff like 1800HAU and 1800HAD. I have perfect versions of the HAU and HAD to pair with the revorj when it comes. I also have scratched and used versions of both HAU and HAD to use on my daily driver boards.

It isn't that I want to keep those keysets behind glass forever, I just want to be able to build a perfect board with all new parts that were collected over a long span of time.

I want the super nice stuff to all be brand new when I build it for the first time; I don't want it to be a collection of parts that were once new, but no longer are. The not so perfect parts are placeholders I guess.

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 07 July 2017, 15:56:44 »
I really do like the shine on my GMK sets.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 03:46:04 »
Love the shine! Feels good man

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 21:51:18 »
Dumb question here - why doesn't GMK make sets in PBT?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:03:57 »

It has been said that PBT is hard to process in double shot molds; however, Taihao has manufactured extremely thin double shot key caps, then, I suppose that the technical constraint has to do with key cap thickness?

Offline badchad

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 22:05:32 »
Im not entirely sure but i think very few manufacturers have the technology to double shot PBT. Dye sublimation is much more common on PBT, but thats limited since you cant dye sub a lighter legend onto a darker plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD

Offline Auk

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 06:57:25 »

If I got this all correct: when Cherry stopped manufactuing keysets themselves the ABS tooling was purchased from Cherry by GMK, but the PBT tooling was purchased by BSP Europe. So there may be some contractual and licensing issue we don't know about.

GMK's expertise is certainly with ABS, and PBT shrinks and warps on cooling, which is why it's rarely doubleshot. So it could just be that GMK have little or no incentive to try and solve the limitation of PBT manufacture.