Author Topic: You're The Best Around... What's your favorite keycap set for under $60 retail  (Read 9900 times)

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
What is the best keycap set you can get for under $60 and where can it be bought?

There are a ton of keycap sets out there but most are expensive. I know I've bought into some group buys or tried and couldn't.  So if you wanted to get the best possible keycap set for under $60USD what would it be and why?  I was inspired to pose this question when I was looking for a keyboard the other day and realized I don't have enough keycaps for all my boards right now. I'm either waiting on a GB to ship or haven't found the right set for a keyboard yet. So don't answer from my point of view just answer for yourself if you have found the ultimate sub-$60 keyset.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
I got my printed blue Topre Realforce set for $50. That's the best I got for under $60.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
enjoypbt dyesubs off aliexpress run you $72 but that is probably the best unless you can handle blanks
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline scwoopz

enjoypbt dyesubs off aliexpress run you $72 but that is probably the best unless you can handle blanks
What I was going to say. There are some nice XDA blanks on AliExpress that you can get is you want a non-sculpted set, and there are super nice cherry profile PBT caps on mechanicalkeyboards.com (the gateron pbt).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

ortho or shmortho

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."

I bought 2 blank sets of ePBT caps for about $60 total, whether op goes with blanks or a printed set I think this is the best option.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
The side print thick PBT caps from leopold the eBay seller is currently away however. http://stores.ebay.com/widebasket

Alternatively you can just buy a leopold keyboard with the caps included and be done. I currently prefer the FC980M with silent reds.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
OMG Yes! I can't believe I forgot ePBT! Definitely ePBT. Not under $60, but definitely the best bang for your buck. I've tried all kinds of Cherry-profile materials, and ePBT still is my favorite.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
I've always been fond of the Dolch-style light/dark gray MX sets:

166574-0

...inspired by the vintage Dolch mobile network analyzers:

166576-1

You can also get front-printed:

166578-2

...though of course that's not as authentic.

The sets I see on eBay are usually thick PBT and just $25–35 shipped.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline loud_asian

Gateron blanks @ $30 are a real steal
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline jcc04

Just gotta look at the used market instead of going retail or aliexpress.

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
These TaiHao PBT were my first aftermarket caps, got them on sale for £20 and to be honest they've great. I'm typing this on them currently on my Filco Majestouch work board and they've done me well until my GMk arrive.

KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
JTK Sophomore is $60 retail (OoB, RoW). It's as nice as GMK with minor letter thickness inconsistencies. They also feel better compared to GMK for me, bit more grippy.

credit: suembeaux

credit: talkingtree

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
JTK Sophomore is $60 retail (OoB, RoW). It's as nice as GMK with minor letter thickness inconsistencies. They also feel better compared to GMK for me, bit more grippy.

Show Image

Show Image

the JTK sets are thick PBT, right? Anyone know how they compare to enjoyPBT?
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline cicada

• Formerly iamacicada

Show Image

Show Image

the JTK sets are thick PBT, right? Anyone know how they compare to enjoyPBT?

They are ABS, same as GMK

Offline Encabulator

Gateron/Enjoy PBT blanks. 40 dollars for a whole set with extra keys for non standard layout. It has a similar profile to cherry and is 1.5 mm thicc.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
Enjoypbt is good choice.
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline ullr

The caps on a Pingmaster. Thick, classic double‐shot sphericals and a ton of relegendables for $40 new. And it even comes with a keyboard ;)

Offline reconsiderit

Gateron/Enjoy PBT blanks. 40 dollars for a whole set with extra keys for non standard layout. It has a similar profile to cherry and is 1.5 mm thicc.

The enjoy PBT sets are the same sets as the oco modern beige sets, right? Really tempted to grab some. They look really clean. I have the stock set on my tada68 which I believe is the same enjoy pbt set and they are some really nice keys. The blanks can be bought for ~$30 on taobao I think.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
The enjoy PBT sets are the same sets as the oco modern beige sets, right?

I think so

Gateron/ePBT sets don't use cherry molds but are an exact match to cherry profile.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time

The enjoy PBT sets are the same sets as the oco modern beige sets, right? Really tempted to grab some. They look really clean. I have the stock set on my tada68 which I believe is the same enjoy pbt set and they are some really nice keys. The blanks can be bought for ~$30 on taobao I think.

They use the same base but the dyesubbing is different, I think between IMSTO, OCO, and Enjoypbt (EPBT owns the gateron mold) IMSTO still holds the better quality dyesubbing with EPBT and OCO around the same level (personally it does not matter to me much, because it looks nice from afar). And to your first question yes, they use the same base colors.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline reconsiderit

They use the same base but the dyesubbing is different, I think between IMSTO, OCO, and Enjoypbt (EPBT owns the gateron mold) IMSTO still holds the better quality dyesubbing with EPBT and OCO around the same level (personally it does not matter to me much, because it looks nice from afar). And to your first question yes, they use the same base colors.

The basic epbt sets are doubleshot, aren't they? It's just the special sets (cyan+magenta) that are dye subbed? 

switchplate.co

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe

The basic epbt sets are doubleshot, aren't they? It's just the special sets (cyan+magenta) that are dye subbed?
No.  As a matter of fact, there aren't any doubleshot PBT caps of any quality currently in production. The closest thing is Tai hao, and those are crap.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Vortex and Tai Hao both to PBT doubleshot. Dyesub is much better, though.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

Anyone try out the xda blanks yet? Was wondering if that purple boxed set comes with a 1.75u shift.

switchplate.co

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Vortex and Tai Hao both to PBT doubleshot. Dyesub is much better, though.
Like I said, there aren't any quality double-shot PBT caps in production. Dye subs aren't better, they're simply the only reliable option.

I just got a set of Tai Haos in and they're unusable. The 'G' key is offset by roughly a half a millimeter, the '/' key is twisted about 4 degrees clockwise, the enter is twisted about 2 degrees counter clockwise, and the left shift binds on the stabilizers for reasons I can't explain. Previous Vortex sets have had similar issues.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 May 2017, 22:21:02 by SpectreiiI »

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
Doublepost

Offline Helspong

Anyone try out the xda blanks yet? Was wondering if that purple boxed set comes with a 1.75u shift.

It does come with alot of keys, including a 1.75u shift.

A quick potato-pic

Offline reconsiderit

A quick potato-pic

Show Image

Those look really nice for the price. Look pretty thick too? Maybe close to Gateron/epbt quality?

switchplate.co

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Helspong

A quick potato-pic

Show Image

Those look really nice for the price. Look pretty thick too? Maybe close to Gateron/epbt quality?

They are quite thick, i got very bright leds and they are not shining through at all. I think they are around 1,2mm thick.

Offline punksinatra

• Random Stuff

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Re: You're The Best Around... What's your favorite keycap set for under $60 retail
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:28:42 »
(Attachment Link)

Starry night By Tai-Hao Doubleshot ABS set $39.00

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2349

Do you have butt pics of those caps?

Sadly not anymore, I sold the board they were on and the buyer negotiated the inclusion of those caps.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

Re: You're The Best Around... What's your favorite keycap set for under $60 retail
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 03:33:14 »
On another note, since this thread originally was posted.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/japanese-alphabets-cherry-pbt-dyesubbed-keycap-set

Is my new favorite under $60 personally.

Have them on my Leopold right now and I love them.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 16:00:44 »
My favorite set ever is a seafoam-green or lavender-purple frosted glass TKL set that doesn't exist and that I would pay upwards of $800 for  ;D :-* :)) :eek: :'( ;) :blank: