Author Topic: Galaxy S8/S8+ thread  (Read 15523 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Galaxy S8/S8+ thread
« on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 11:43:09 »
Hello, I think I am annoying the Slack groups about talking about my new phone. Has anyone else picked one of these up yet?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Galaxy S8/S8+ thread
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 12:56:29 »
I'm considering it.

but is it still curved such that a glass screen protector won't fit over it?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:05:26 »
I'm considering it.

I went through the hell of getting a screen protector today.. I did not do glass because they are all sold out and I can not find one with a good review online. I went to 3 different stores. Finally found one that was willing to put it on for me and had them in stock. It took them 4 different tries to get it right.

I am going to keep my eye on the reviews for a good glass. For not I will just use the "film" or plastic ones.

Great design but horrible for protectors.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:09:21 »
I'm considering it.

I went through the hell of getting a screen protector today.. I did not do glass because they are all sold out and I can not find one with a good review online. I went to 3 different stores. Finally found one that was willing to put it on for me and had them in stock. It took them 4 different tries to get it right.

I am going to keep my eye on the reviews for a good glass. For not I will just use the "film" or plastic ones.

Great design but horrible for protectors.

Yea.. I think that's why a huge amount of guyzus went back to apple,  because what they did with the ipho 7 is they made the curved part smaller and off the side so a screen protector can fit over it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:12:54 »
I want to get it it as my next phone. I have an S5 right now.
I'll wait a few more months, though.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:20:10 »

s5 pretty laggy by today's standards..

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:40:07 »
Hello, I think I am annoying the Slack groups about talking about my new phone. Has anyone else picked one of these up yet?

I'm planning on it as my contract is up this month; moving from iOS to Android.  What do you think of it?  I see all of the stuff online, but I'd love the perspective of someone who has one.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:42:28 »

I'm planning on it as my contract is up this month; moving from iOS to Android.  What do you think of it?  I see all of the stuff online, but I'd love the perspective of someone who has one.
I also moved from iOS. I am enjoying it so far. It is a lot different. The screen protector situation is a nightmare haha
I am hoping a good glass option releases soon that is compatible with cases. The battery life isn't great. There are ways to save on the battery but it doesn't make the  phone as cool. Over all I really enjoy it. I was on iOS for 8 years.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:44:19 by ArchDill »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:44:30 »

It's super laggy now, but surprisingly, even though I customized the heck outta it without rooting it, it can still get pretty snappy on really good days.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:45:19 »

I also moved from iOS. I am enjoying it so far. It is a lot different. The screen protector situation is a nightmare haha
I am hoping a good glass option releases soon that is comparable with cases. The battery life isn't great. There are ways to save on the battery but it doesn't makebthr phone as cook. Over all I really enjoy it. I was on iOS for 8 years.

How did you move your contacts and texts and photos?  The contacts part is my largest concern.  And did you have any 2FA?  I'm using google (and some in steam and blizzard), and that's what I'm dreading most.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 13:50:04 »

I am hoping a good glass option releases soon that is comparable with cases. The battery life isn't great. There are ways to save on the battery but it doesn't makebthr phone as cook. Over all I really enjoy it. I was on iOS for 8 years.

How did you move your contacts and texts and photos?  The contacts part is my largest concern.  And did you have any 2FA?  I'm using google (and some in steam and blizzard), and that's what I'm dreading most.
I had my carrier move my contacts for me. Samsung has a new app that makes it really easy to move the rest by your self. I backed all my photos etc up on my pc so I'm not worried about bringing them over.

The keyboard has been the biggest thing to get used to. Not as big as the iPhone 6 plus.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:04:04 »
Thanks! 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:06:35 »

It's super laggy now, but surprisingly, even though I customized the heck outta it without rooting it, it can still get pretty snappy on really good days.

I really wish they'd come out with a flagship fone with 5000-6000 mah..  that would be ideal...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:18:43 »

I really wish they'd come out with a flagship fone with 5000-6000 mah..  that would be ideal...

I have a 7500mAh battery in my S5. I can't live without it. I'm going to miss the battery life dearly when I "upgrade."

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:22:27 »

I have a 7500mAh battery in my S5. I can't live without it. I'm going to miss the battery life dearly when I "upgrade."
That is one of the biggest downsides of the S8+ thus far. The battery is not as good as I expected. Granted, I have been on it like crazy because of the Newness.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:26:03 »

What is Romevi doin' with so much p0wah..

Tinder.. xpert level.. 9 hours marathon swipe right.. ~~!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:33:10 »

That is one of the biggest downsides of the S8+ thus far. The battery is not as good as I expected. Granted, I have been on it like crazy because of the Newness.

if u think s8 battery is bad..  you haven't xperienced s7 hahahahahaha...  s8 suppose to have 20-30% longer than s7..

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:34:22 »

if u think s8 battery is bad..  you haven't xperienced s7 hahahahahaha...  s8 suppose to have 20-30% longer than s7..

It could be that I am just messing with it a ton. I came form an iPhone 6+ and it was pretty decent, honestly.

Offline dante

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 14:46:04 »
Battery life on a smart phone = LOL.

I charge my flip phone every 1-1.5 weeks.

This year I'm looking at maybe getting my first Smartphone a  Blackberry Keyone (for the keyboard.)

Hopefully they pack a nice battery in that.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 15:43:57 »
My friend has had an S8 after moving from his iPhone 6S+

He really loved the screen and the camera but after three days this happened:

That pink line is on the screen and not a reflection. He did not drop it, and there was no stress applied to the screen. Hard reset it three times to no avail.

Also the fingerprint reader is in an incredibly ridiculous position that isn't natural requiring you to hold your phone in a strange way when unlocking it.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 18:57:24 »
They had that problem with the S7 too.  Isn't it supposed to be fixed with a software update?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 14:33:09 »
My friend has had an S8 after moving from his iPhone 6S+

He really loved the screen and the camera but after three days this happened:

Show Image

That pink line is on the screen and not a reflection. He did not drop it, and there was no stress applied to the screen. Hard reset it three times to no avail.

Also the fingerprint reader is in an incredibly ridiculous position that isn't natural requiring you to hold your phone in a strange way when unlocking it.

Has he tried disabling the screen outline notification? Not sure what it is called but when mine goes off the sides up the screen (like where that is located) lights up blue.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 14:35:55 »
UPDATE:

So I am finally getting the swing of things.

downloaded:

-Textra for a texting app
-Youmail for visual voicemail
-Nova Launcher
-The Grid theme (TRON)
-Swiftkey for keyboard replacement

These together are making my experience a lot more pleasant.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:12:19 »
It's laggy because of the garbage on it.
Backup, restore to factory, then put your data back, should run just fine.
Also, what you are running on it could be causing lag.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 17:51:16 »
It's actually not as laggy as it should be. It lags most when connecting to different internet connections.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 18:48:57 »
Nova launcher 5.1 update removed the app from task manager view, and double press on recent apps now correctly functions as alttab!

Hazzah

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 21:12:20 »
I can't live without Nova or KLWP.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 22:50:48 »
I can't live without Nova or KLWP.
What is this KLWP you speak of?

Also, I've had my phone all day and used it a fair amount and my battery is just now at 40%".

Offline thad

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 11:52:58 »
I picked one up this week. Good phone so far, I  have spent the last 4 years on iOS so it has a learning curve. The screen is beautiful though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 00:30:57 »
I picked one up this week. Good phone so far, I  have spent the last 4 years on iOS so it has a learning curve. The screen is beautiful though.

Once you get over the learning curve it is great! I spent 5 days learning everything and customizing it to my exact expectations.

Offline thad

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 15:18:45 »

Once you get over the learning curve it is great! I spent 5 days learning everything and customizing it to my exact expectations.
I just installed Fleksy and love it. I did not like Next.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 17:46:24 »

I just installed Fleksy and love it. I did not like Next.

fleksy is good, but it doesn't support chinese yet, so i couldn't use it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 22:19:34 »
I've been looking up cases for Galaxy S8. I won't be getting one for a few more months, but I thought to just look anyway.

Came across this:

Definitely going to get that case. I may get another case for days I'm going to want more protection (ya never know), but being able to use a physical keyboard has me excited. I heard you have to use Samsung's stock keyboard, though, and that tempered-glass screen protectors may not work.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 00:30:09 »
I've been looking up cases for Galaxy S8. I won't be getting one for a few more months, but I thought to just look anyway.

Came across this:

Show Image

Definitely going to get that case. I may get another case for days I'm going to want more protection (ya never know), but being able to use a physical keyboard has me excited. I heard you have to use Samsung's stock keyboard, though, and that tempered-glass screen protectors may not work.
woa that keyboard thing! I haven't used something like that since my good old Nokia E63.

what do you do with it when you're not using it and you need the whole screen? does it go on the back or something?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline thad

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 04:42:29 »

Came across this:

Show Image

You don't have to use the stock keyboard. I'm using Fleksy and love it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 08:31:45 »

Came across this:

Show Image

woa that keyboard thing! I haven't used something like that since my good old Nokia E63.

what do you do with it when you're not using it and you need the whole screen? does it go on the back or something?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The case allows it to be clipped to the back. It'll be exposed, but better than nothing.

Came across this:

Show Image

Oh, really? Nice! I use another keyboard for my touch screen, so that would be better.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 09:58:42 »

Came across this:

Show Image

I use Swiftkey- have you used that, and how does it compare if so?

Offline thad

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 11:00:28 »

Came across this:

Show Image

I have not used it. Fleksy is soo good I don't think I will fry anything else. I can't say enough good about it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 11:08:08 »

Came across this:

Show Image

I have not used it. Fleksy is soo good I don't think I will fry anything else. I can't say enough good about it.

I heard really good things about it. Tried the demo version but wasn't for me.
I settled on SwiftKey for a long time. Now I'm on TouchPal. It's closest to SwiftKey, but far more customizable. It has a lot of bloatware, though, so you have to pay for a subscription to get rid of all that.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:08:25 »
So I took my case off for the first time today.

The carrier that put my screen protector on scratched the back of my phone all to hell.

Might try and put a dbrand skin on.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:18:17 »
If Samsung would get rid of their stupid Touchwiz garbage, this would be my new phone. Shouldn't have to root a phone to have pure Android.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:19:45 »
If Samsung would get rid of their stupid Touchwiz garbage, this would be my new phone. Shouldn't have to root a phone to have pure Android.

So the company isn't allowed to install their own software on their own device?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:20:34 »

NO! It's garbage. Keep it off. I've had 3 Samsung phones, its dumb.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:29:11 »

NO! It's garbage. Keep it off. I've had 3 Samsung phones, its dumb.

You're right. It's garbage. I've just gotten used to Novatouch. Can't wait for others to hack the Bixby button.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 15:55:16 »
Meh.  People keep telling me that, but I have no problems on my tablets with Touchwhiz.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 16:47:37 »
Meh.  People keep telling me that, but I have no problems on my tablets with Touchwhiz.

OH YOU HAVE PROBLEMS PAL YOU JUST DONT KNOW ABOUT THEM :D

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:04:40 »

Nope, you have problems, and I refuse to buy into them.  Even after others have tried to show/convince me.  It works for me, so that's the rubric I always use :P

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:13:15 »

Nope, you have problems, and I refuse to buy into them.  Even after others have tried to show/convince me.  It works for me, so that's the rubric I always use :P

this

if you have issues w touchwiz don't buy samsung phones?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 17:46:00 »

this

I like the hardware and the camera tho

that ^

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 18:43:44 »

this

I like the hardware and the camera tho

that ^

the only thing stopping you then is a root and a stock rom

using flagship bloatware roms make me nauseous