Author Topic: Model F AT  (Read 3505 times)

Offline JP

Model F AT
« on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 22:52:40 »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Re: Model F AT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 23:14:37 »
Its not worth that much
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:33:28 »
Whoa! Over $240 shipped for a "fair-to-good" specimen - with 6 days to go!

This goes to show how truly rare these have become in the last couple of years.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 21:19:15 »
Yikes, are F-ATs really bringing this much now? I'd expect one in near-new condition to go for over $200, but not an obviously used one like this... As far as I knew, they've been going for around $125. Must be some kind of Model F panic setting in.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 21:31:54 »
Ebay prices have been all over the place for the AT models.

Seems like the only way to get a good deal is to get lucky with a BIN post. I almost had that one for $80, it was in my cart but someone checked out before me.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline JP

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 07:01:54 »
I seen one this month in much better shape go for $203. I bought one for $150 and had to message the buyer to set it as BIN. Another that went for around $120 that was BIN and it went very fast.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 08:38:58 »
No where near worth it with a giant gash right above the cable port.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 09:08:00 »
I just picked up a BIN Model F AT UK model 6450222 with German keys (qwertz layout) for $125. It will need a full restoration but had never seen one before! I agree, prices are all over the map.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 17:57:23 »
The rarity and desirability of this model is finally making the prices equalize again.

F AT has traditionally been worth at least 2x to 3x the price of an XT, but the sharp rise in XT price in recent months has not seemed to be accompanied with rising AT prices, only with diminishing AT supply.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 22:39:46 »
F AT has traditionally been worth at least 2x to 3x the price of an XT, but the sharp rise in XT price in recent months has not seemed to be accompanied with rising AT prices...

Here's an XT for just $40 + $13 shipping, if you can replace a few keys and don't mind cleaning some splooge off the bottom. (Hey, we do it with our kids...)

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 23:55:21 »
Why would the XT prices have risen? And don't try to pin it on me again, guys xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline JP

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 06:46:00 »
@chyros you need to have a video of how terrible these boards are and why you should sell them ;D I would guess that with everyone saying how much better the Model F is compared with the M plus the availability of adapters such as the ones Orihalcon sells have helped to grow the market for XT's.

F AT has traditionally been worth at least 2x to 3x the price of an XT, but the sharp rise in XT price in recent months has not seemed to be accompanied with rising AT prices...

Here's an XT for just $40 + $13 shipping, if you can replace a few keys and don't mind cleaning some splooge off the bottom. (Hey, we do it with our kids...)

I see the shipping is  actually $34 + $40 so really not that great of a deal once you track down missing keys. Also that might be rust and splooge on the bottom. I am pretty sure this seller will take $25 + shipping for this though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 May 2017, 08:11:22 by JP »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 May 2017, 20:29:17 »
Why would the XT prices have risen?

Until Soarer came along, and a $60 Hagstrom (the breakout board, not the nice self-contained unit they sell today) was the only game in town, XTs rarely sold for over $15-$20 + shipping.

Soarer's Converter (2012-ish?) made it a viable proposition, and prices went up to $25-$30. I sold some perhaps 3-4 years ago and it was difficult and took time to sell them on ebay in the $35 range.

My guess is that the current jump to $50-$80+, which occurred 1-2 years ago, is the result of continued repetition of the mantra "the XT is the best-feeling of all Model Fs" (which is arguably true), along with Orihalcon's cables.

In my opinion, considering the desirability and rarity of the AT, the low-mid-$200 range is about appropriate for those beauties.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 03:44:04 »
Why would the XT prices have risen?

Until Soarer came along, and a $60 Hagstrom (the breakout board, not the nice self-contained unit they sell today) was the only game in town, XTs rarely sold for over $15-$20 + shipping.

Soarer's Converter (2012-ish?) made it a viable proposition, and prices went up to $25-$30. I sold some perhaps 3-4 years ago and it was difficult and took time to sell them on ebay in the $35 range.

My guess is that the current jump to $50-$80+, which occurred 1-2 years ago, is the result of continued repetition of the mantra "the XT is the best-feeling of all Model Fs" (which is arguably true), along with Orihalcon's cables.

In my opinion, considering the desirability and rarity of the AT, the low-mid-$200 range is about appropriate for those beauties.
I guess it all depends on what you think is relative. If modern keyboard prices from major manufacturers such as Corsair, Cooler Master and Razer are justified, the AT should probably cost around $500 xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:14:18 »
Just seen someone yesterday pay $250 BIN + $30 shipping for a clean AT. Hopefully this is not the new norm and is a passing fad. BIN deals are still out there. I grabbed a nice one for $125 plus shipping this weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182586009041?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT