Author Topic: Has anyone tried mass-production of ALPS to MX Adapters?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline barrel

Has anyone tried mass-production of ALPS to MX Adapters?
« on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:07:48 »
So, I was looking around for them but only found some 3D Printed ones, do you guys think it would be easier to print them, file them down and lube them rather than trying to setup a group buy for them with some chinese injection moulding company?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Has anyone tried mass-production of ALPS to MX Adapters?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:23:06 »
Not certain why you'd need to lube adapters, as they'd be a stationary part -- attaching to the alps mount on the switch, and the MX mount on the cap, essentially just becoming part of the cap. Are you worried about them being a tight fit into the cap?

3D printing quality can vary widely based on the specs of your printer and the type of plastic used. In my experience, I've had prints come out too small, rather than too large, so filing wouldn't be much help either.

I'm not aware of any attempt at a group buy for such an adapter. I think the trick would be getting a high enough order quantity to finance the production and testing of a mold while still keeping the price per adapter low enough that people are willing to pay it. And if it did go through, you'd likely end up with a huge number of adapters to sort, pack, and ship.

If you're really just looking to get a set for yourself, and you have access to a decent 3D printer, it's probably worth trying a print or two and seeing how it turns out.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:24:19 »
nexus slider

Offline barrel

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:31:23 »
Not certain why you'd need to lube adapters, as they'd be a stationary part -- attaching to the alps mount on the switch, and the MX mount on the cap, essentially just becoming part of the cap. Are you worried about them being a tight fit into the cap?

3D printing quality can vary widely based on the specs of your printer and the type of plastic used. In my experience, I've had prints come out too small, rather than too large, so filing wouldn't be much help either.

I'm not aware of any attempt at a group buy for such an adapter. I think the trick would be getting a high enough order quantity to finance the production and testing of a mold while still keeping the price per adapter low enough that people are willing to pay it. And if it did go through, you'd likely end up with a huge number of adapters to sort, pack, and ship.

If you're really just looking to get a set for yourself, and you have access to a decent 3D printer, it's probably worth trying a print or two and seeing how it turns out.

So, I realized I meant an actual slider rather than an adapter, but thankfully @p_blaze directed me towards one, I wanted to make a new slider because the added height of the keycaps could be unappealing to some, thanks for your help though  :thumb:

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:32:37 »

So, I realized I meant an actual slider rather than an adapter, but thankfully @p_blaze directed me towards one, I wanted to make a new slider because the added height of the keycaps could be unappealing to some, thanks for your help though  :thumb:

Got it, and I understand your questions a lot better now :thumb:
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:38:48 »
Just to add, 3D printing was only good for my prototypes. The surface finish even on $250k printers was too rough for actual use long term, whereas the injection molded ones will be very, very smooth.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 11:40:49 »
I read "Alps to MX" as "Alps keycap to MX switch" because that is more reasonable, but I suppose you mean "MX stem for Alps switch". It is always good to start a thread with a good title.

When some people once made C64 keycap to MX-switch adapters, they ordered them from Shapeways as a bunch of them all in a "parts tree", i.e. all printed as one that could be snapped off.

Offline ag36

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 18:29:13 »
I think it's better to make slider with mx stem and new top housing on alps clones like matias? It should be cheaper than all-new tooling yet still has the alps keyfeel.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1