Author Topic: Most cost effective way to do custom SP DSA sublimated set  (Read 2401 times)

Offline yoippari

Most cost effective way to do custom SP DSA sublimated set
« on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 22:30:17 »
I'm trying to order a set for an upcoming keyboard and don't want to wait for one of the big group buys to ship so trying to put together a "custom" set. The keyboard with Icon modifiers is here (wow that is a long url for permalink). Ignore the NumPad for the moment. I'm thinking WAN 60% Base set but I'm not sure what to do with the modifiers since I'm basically making a spit Preonic but with non preonic standard layout. So just going with text modifiers instead of icon which I would prefer the ortho set is short 5 keys. I want a dedicated PgUp and PgDn which could have home and end on a second layer. The /? key in the same color as the modifiers, a context key (menu, burger, bars, whatever you would call the key itself, and a standard Fn Key. Also a second shift key.

So, PgUp, PgDn, Fn, Menu, Shift, plus any alternate color Enter or Escape Keys. Would the best bet just be to order the Ortho mods and get the 5 extra keys as additional? The wording is a bit vague about the additional keys so I'm not even sure if they would do the first 4 if I'm not ordering the TKL mods or alternate sets.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: Most cost effective way to do custom SP DSA sublimated set
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 23:43:50 »
Yay Dvorak!

The wording on the additional keys option says that you can chose to order extra keys from the set you choose but in different colors, the legend and size will be the same. So for example you could get an extra esc & wasd in a different color but you wouldn't be able to order a 6.25u space as it isn't included in the ortho set.

Based on that description I think the only way to get the first four add ons you want is to buy the TKL mod set because SP won't include them as additional keys. You could just use DSA blanks if you don't want to buy an extra mod set for 4 keys.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline yoippari

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 17:16:11 »
So I e-mailed them and I can order single keys as long as I've ordered something in the same family. So I can order keys from the alternate set and the TKL set even if I've only ordered the ortholinear sets. I'd rather just do this in the HC Granite but the 1u mods are spread across 3 different sets.

Offline jnthnrvs

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 June 2017, 20:42:01 »
So I e-mailed them and I can order single keys as long as I've ordered something in the same family. So I can order keys from the alternate set and the TKL set even if I've only ordered the ortholinear sets.

That's not how it read to me, so this is extremely good news.  :thumb: Thanks for sharing.