Author Topic: How many of you PC Gamerz have gone back to console?  (Read 11509 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
How many of you PC Gamerz have gone back to console?
« on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 17:14:04 »
Kind of nice not having to upgrade your video card every 12 months, larger player bases on consoles (for non-moba games)...you can sit on your coach, etc.

#UniteWithMeConsolePlebs

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: How many of you PC Gamerz have gone back to console?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 17:16:04 »
haha, keyboards are actually a waste of time and money. Buy fightsticks and big tv's..way more funnerer.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 19:40:38 »
Modern consoles are a complete joke, but I never stopped playing my older ones. Hell, I'm playing through Symphony of the Night and Shining Force 2 as my main games right now! I play my older consoles much more than my PC tbh

But the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch are goddamn laughable.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 19:52:06 »
Modern consoles are a complete joke, but I never stopped playing my older ones. Hell, I'm playing through Symphony of the Night and Shining Force 2 as my main games right now! I play my older consoles much more than my PC tbh

PS4 Pro is Pro mkay? Hence the name "Pro" :D

It's not that bad, for $300?? Why the hate?? Tell me Noisy, TELL ME!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 19:52:52 »
not i

for FPS, RTS, action RPG, MOBA, etc, pc will always be the better choice. FPS especially.

fighting games, platformers, things like Rocket League, etc are good on console, but only due to being acceptable with a controller (which of course can be used on pc)

personally, i much prefer 144Hz gaming over 4K gaming (which consoles seem to be going towards)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 20:13:44 »

I really dislike the modern OS used in really any modern console, especially anything from Microsoft that is just saturated with ads. I dislike the forced DRM and how you need to install games that are playing off a disc. I hate day 1 DLC, and I hate day 1 40GB patches, I hate the forced social aspect such as integrated Twitter and Facebook, or PS4s stupid 'share' button. I ESPECIALLY hate the almost complete lack of innovation in modern consoles killing developer creativity, making truly unique and new games basically impossible to get a similar AAA budget to the constant sequels being vomited up eaten and regurgitated on an annual biases. I hate being bombarded with ads and having to sign into a profile to play every damn game, I hate the hardware not being modular at this point while still being nothing more than a PC that you cannot upgrade. I ****ing hate modern consoles and I think console gaming is pretty much dead at this point with little hope of seeing anything innovative or exciting, everything is jumping on whatever the current market trend is ignoring any heart or ingenuity or independence any able-ideaed developer might have.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 20:44:25 »

I really dislike the modern OS used in really any modern console, especially anything from Microsoft that is just saturated with ads. I dislike the forced DRM and how you need to install games that are playing off a disc. I hate day 1 DLC, and I hate day 1 40GB patches, I hate the forced social aspect such as integrated Twitter and Facebook, or PS4s stupid 'share' button. I ESPECIALLY hate the almost complete lack of innovation in modern consoles killing developer creativity, making truly unique and new games basically impossible to get a similar AAA budget to the constant sequels being vomited up eaten and regurgitated on an annual biases. I hate being bombarded with ads and having to sign into a profile to play every damn game, I hate the hardware not being modular at this point while still being nothing more than a PC that you cannot upgrade. I ****ing hate modern consoles and I think console gaming is pretty much dead at this point with little hope of seeing anything innovative or exciting, everything is jumping on whatever the current market trend is ignoring any heart or ingenuity or independence any able-ideaed developer might have.

word

nothing beats just popping in a PS2 disk and having it just work. no updates, no sign-ins, no internet requirement, no ads, no dlc, no 40 point achievement for literally just starting the main game

unfortunately that was the last generation to be that way

Offline Auk

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 06:35:20 »
Modern consoles are a complete joke

It's harsh and true, and sad.

The joy of a console was having a disc or cart and knowing you had a finished high quality* game that would work start to finish. Sony and Microsoft (and now maybe Nintendo also) abandoned being the gatekeepers of quality and allowed patches inc. day one patches for broken, unfinished products. Now consoles have the disadvantages of PCs without the freedom and choice.

*quality, not artistic merit.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 06:58:53 »
Hm i'm satisfied with my Xbox One S.
I mean .. it's 250 $ for a 4k Blu-ray player with gaming capabilities.  Most of the standalone 4k Blu-ray player cost more than that.
Also i never play games at day one because i will never pay >=60$ for any game and i'm in no rush. So when i start playing it is cheaper and mostly works without major bugs. I'm more of a casual gamer though (at least nowadays ;D ).
Gaming at a pc is more competitive in my opinion, that's not what i want. I want to chill comfortably on my couch in front of a big tv and play a game relaxed with 7.1 surround sound. Not having to think about hardware upgrades and the best settings blabla does support that further.

But nothing can beat that N64 and Gamecube  :thumb: still like the games i played while i was a kid  :D
Todays games seem boring and uncreative compared to that stuff.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 07:02:58 »
I'm playing Zelda BOTW on cemu if that counts.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 07:25:46 »
I thought consoles were only for ironic hipsters.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 07:38:47 »
PC is great and all, but sometimes I just can't be bothered. PS4 works great for me.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 12:37:08 »
People always ***** about specs and whatnot, but if you're not playing a lot of online games (like me), then consoles are perfect. Everything you need to sit down and actually play the damn game.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 13:32:54 »
BACK to consoles? Hah, the real master race never went to consoles in the first place 8) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:18:30 »
BACK to consoles? Hah, the real master race never went to consoles in the first place 8) .

It's been very difficult for me to play ANY vidya for years..

Everything that a Vidya makes you do seems like something you should be paid to do..   hahahaha,  but, you're paying the vidya people to do it..

hahahahahaha

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:28:25 »

Everything that a Vidya makes you do seems like something you should be paid to do..   hahahaha,  but, you're paying the vidya people to do it..

hahahahahaha

that's because you watch too many streams so you have become lazy and complacent seeking the immediate satisfaction of someone who knows exactly what they are doing in the game. Its not that games are a chore now, it's that you've trained your brain to not have the same patience for learning them.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 16:33:12 »

hahahahahaha

that's because you watch too many streams so you have become lazy and complacent seeking the immediate satisfaction of someone who knows exactly what they are doing in the game. Its not that games are a chore now, it's that you've trained your brain to not have the same patience for learning them.

Learning what though ?   wasd,   lvl ups,  collect boxes,  monsters come from behind,  solve a jig saw,  go from a to b,  spreadsheet, calculate DPS ?

I mean..  it makes sense for younger guys,   but it's hard to make the argument that an Adult learns anything from vidya..

Each vidya might have a slight timing difference or a slight different composition of each mechanic,   but there are only so many mechanics not because of lack of creativity,    But there are only so many computational and physical tasks you can make a human being do.

My point is,  vidya has a limited move set, because humans are only capable of that set of actions, and having had 20 years experience in Vidya already.. hahahahha..    it just doesn't feel like I get much out of it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 17:03:28 »
It's the difference between reading a novel and reading the cliff notes, or seeing the movie. You don't get any feel for the game, you are not engaged. You can watch countless videos of pilots flying planes, you think you can then go fly one or even know what it feels like to do so? What you're getting is just a watered down semblance of what the game has to offer. That's the main point of video games as a hot medium vs other cold mediums like films or television. Games actually require the user to make decisions and interact with the set, simply watching someone else play it you are not getting the personal agency that interactive digital representations have to offer.

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:01:02 »
Love my consoles and my pc. Really platform agnostic. Ps4 has got more play lately with dark souls, bloodbourne, and nioh. Next month might be back to quake on pc. Time will tell.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:48:19 »
It's the difference between reading a novel and reading the cliff notes, or seeing the movie. You don't get any feel for the game, you are not engaged. You can watch countless videos of pilots flying planes, you think you can then go fly one or even know what it feels like to do so? What you're getting is just a watered down semblance of what the game has to offer. That's the main point of video games as a hot medium vs other cold mediums like films or television. Games actually require the user to make decisions and interact with the set, simply watching someone else play it you are not getting the personal agency that interactive digital representations have to offer.

I take it much further than watching.

I read the cliff notes for the game.

I play it for 10 minutes

I watch the youtube,  skip to the boss battles.

And I'm done..

What I derive from the game.

First, I understand the entire plot through the cliff notes/ synopsis on wiki.

Second, I play the game for 10 minutes,  which gives me a feel for the timing and an accurate projection/prediction of the learn curve of the play mechanics.

Then, I watch the set piece boss battles on youtube where the game artists has spent the most time creating.

There's a cake in front of you,  most of the cake isn't very good,  and You have limited stomach space,  so you just eat the icing decorations,  Taste the basic flour section of the cake.. and walk away and go eat something else..

It doesn't make sense to play through an entire game , MOST of which is filled with time consuming fillers.

I think you are underestimating the Cost to playing a game.    you pay the $50 ,  that's nothing,  what is 21 hours of your life worth..

If a game had been 21 hours worth of high budget movies which cost 150 million per 1.5 hours,  it might make sense to do it all, but that's simply not the case..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:04:13 »
If you do not enjoy your hobby I would suggest finding one that you do. What is the point in a game you don't play? A book without words, a song without sound.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 21:31:30 »
If you do not enjoy your hobby I would suggest finding one that you do. What is the point in a game you don't play? A book without words, a song without sound.

My point isn't that games arn't worth while,   only that like a book or a song,  not all of it is going to be good.   In the case of games, ALOT of it isn't good because if the perceived value is in the length of the game, they're going to dot it thoroughly with small grindy bits..

It's like reading tolkien , just read the cliff notes.. watch the movie, read some reviews and you're done.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 05:27:57 »

My point isn't that games arn't worth while,   only that like a book or a song,  not all of it is going to be good.   In the case of games, ALOT of it isn't good because if the perceived value is in the length of the game, they're going to dot it thoroughly with small grindy bits..

It's like reading tolkien , just read the cliff notes.. watch the movie, read some reviews and you're done.

For quite a while now (since xbox360 probably) I've generally preferred shorter games, usually indie stuff, because I rarely want to spend 10+ hours on a game. Stuff like Inside and Gone Home are perfect to me cos I can do them in an evening and have a powerful experience. Or arcade stuff like OutRun for short bursts. I'll put big hours into really special stuff like GTAV or Zelda BOTW but it's rare, like once every couple of years. It's not like when I was a kid/teen and wanted to find every secret in a huge game. I remember taking time off work when OoT came out. I seem to have a bunch of larger games in my steam library all left at about 8 or 10 hours, cos that's like a week of playing every night, and the feeling of me wasting my life is creeping in and putting a downer on everything. I'd like to play stuff like Nier Automata and Dark Souls but just feel like I shouldn't put time into those things. Maybe I should watch some letsplays like wot is hip these days.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 07:32:50 »
Love my consoles and my pc. Really platform agnostic. Ps4 has got more play lately with dark souls, bloodbourne, and nioh. Next month might be back to quake on pc. Time will tell.
I much prefer using my PC most of the time. But I wouldn't mind getting a PS4 for the exclusives.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 July 2017, 17:54:13 »
I don't even have a 3d card and I spend most of my time playing PC stuff. Don't need it for vast majority of what I want to play.

Consoles are definitely better for many games. But we're spoilt for choice these days in any case.

Bought a 3DS on ebay last week it'll be the first 'console' I've had since the Playstation 2. Looking forward to catching up on all the DS games I've read about over the years.

Offline clee290

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 13:30:26 »
I mean, you don't need to upgrade every year. If you don't want to upgrade, you can start running games at lower settings, lower resolutions (720-1080p like console games), lower framerates (30-60FPS like console games), etc., then your card will last a long time. 

Even if you're running games at 1440p144 or 4k60, you don't need to upgrade every year. The desire to upgrade is entirely on the individual.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 16:42:16 »
I never understood how people can play consoles, because you're stuck with a controller, and controllers are so slow and fidgety and have so few buttons.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 16:46:50 »
I could never go back to console after playing PC for the last 3 years.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 July 2017, 17:10:00 »
have not owned a console since PS1, have not touched a console since PS2. I do have a heap of old controllers like SNES, N64 etc. Sometimes ill chuck on a rom and run theough final fantasy orsuper mario. But even then ill probebly never get another console.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:01:14 »

I would never go back to PC after playing console for 3 weeks.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 18:04:19 »
i actually went from console to pc ...
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 July 2017, 05:46:31 »
I never understood how people can play consoles, because you're stuck with a controller, and controllers are so slow and fidgety and have so few buttons.
I definitely don't like them for things like FPS's either.
But for some games the controls actually work pretty well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 27 July 2017, 10:21:16 »

pc is ****..  just like HD,  no body wants that..

the directors did not mean for their movies to be seen so clearly,   just as game creators don't want the upclose inspection of the game assets..

The blur is standard and part of the experience..

We must also preserve choppy frame rate to give people motion sickness and headaches,  this is vital to the 3d gaming experience,  as it weeds out those people, and only the BEST gamers will stick around, fight the pain, and become professionals..

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 02:37:53 »

the directors did not mean for their movies to be seen so clearly,   just as game creators don't want the upclose inspection of the game assets..

We must also preserve choppy frame rate to give people motion sickness and headaches,  this is vital to the 3d gaming experience,  as it weeds out those people, and only the BEST gamers will stick around, fight the pain, and become professionals..

I think you may need some meat tp.... you have finally gone too far.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 04:26:08 »
Consoles are outdated the second they come out and controllers suck ass. I don't get why people use them at all. You can't even browse the internet on them, or do make word files, spreadsheets, edit videos, or anything useful on them. Why would you ever EVER use them?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 07:08:38 »
Consoles are outdated the second they come out and controllers suck ass. I don't get why people use them at all. You can't even browse the internet on them, or do make word files, spreadsheets, edit videos, or anything useful on them. Why would you ever EVER use them?

they're more ergonomic.. than mouse / kebard

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 11:10:57 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 16:51:51 »
CGA4lyfe

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 20:22:10 »
Kind of nice not having to upgrade your video card every 12 months, larger player bases on consoles (for non-moba games)...you can sit on your coach, etc.

#UniteWithMeConsolePlebs

Who updates their video cards every year?  Not me.

Also more people = more *******s.

And having to pay yearly for access to the network?

I have a 360 that just sits on the stand... haven't turned it on in at least 6 months.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 23:25:07 »
To truly pwn n00bs one must pwn on all platforms.
 - teh masterer

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 23:38:03 »
To truly pwn n00bs one must pwn on all platforms.
 - teh masterer

i heard starcraft players play tennis

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 28 July 2017, 23:42:23 »

#UniteWithMeConsolePlebs

Who updates their video cards every year?  Not me.

Also more people = more *******s.

And having to pay yearly for access to the network?

I have a 360 that just sits on the stand... haven't turned it on in at least 6 months.
Yeah, I'm not upgrading my graphics card until this one dies.
So far it's lasted me about 2 years. Hopefully, I can squeeze a couple more years out of it before I have to buy a new one.

Offline RELLIK

• WTB Bro Power Core WASD Set...Still...
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 01:56:11 »
At the moment yes. Cant find a good FPS on PC (or rather a good shooter on PC with a good playerbase). Theres so many people 'playing' games right now to get some shiny thing and hop on to next game and get another shiny  :-\
Back to uninterrupted solo gaming with the big screen for me.

KUL-87        FC660M       Filco MJ2

Offline MykB77

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 06:00:58 »
PC forever.  Getting new rig soon.  Consoles are not accurate enough, I don't want auto anything helping me out.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 16:14:16 »
Never really played on consoles. Some Sega Genesis and PS1 in the 90s, a little PS2 in the early 2000s. After those Gears of War series has been the only one I've played on an Xbox360 but that's it.

PC gaming is more fun in my opinion. Been playing on a PC since mid 90s, around the same time I got the PS1.

The only thing I don't like is that I don't know half of the stuff people say about games like Super Mario, Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, and so on.

Oh well, maybe in turn they don't know fun stuff about Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom, Fallout, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, Diablo, Starcraft, Unreal, Half-Life, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Counter Strike, Quake, Warcraft, MechWarrior, ...
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 19:44:41 »
Neither PC nor any of the console platforms have enough quality content to exclusively patronize one in favor of the others, and this fad of jamming multiplayer support into everything to let the players create their own fun is the industry equivalent of reality TV. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 31 July 2017, 19:52:44 »
Neither PC nor any of the console platforms have enough quality content to exclusively patronize one in favor of the others, and this fad of jamming multiplayer support into everything to let the players create their own fun is the industry equivalent of reality TV. 

hrrrrmmmmmm

hrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think all content is worthwhile as long as you're learning something new..   Even if that something is a -negative-.

For example, I've seen the show jersey shore,   and it opened my eyes to the poor decision making and companion structures that I've been insulated from in my upbringing.

But knowing that Those life choices exist and that people who live them are in the majority is still useful education..

At the very least someone who watched it may learn what life paths not to pursue..

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 August 2017, 23:15:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:07:47 by alienman82 »