Author Topic: Hola from Mexico!  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Mardrik

Hola from Mexico!
« on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:29:59 »
Hi All, been following the mechanical keyboard's communities since a couple of months ago and I've decided to build one, been reading a lot over the internet but not really completely sure where to start.

I falled in love with the Tenkeyless form factor, also I think I'll go with brown switches to start, I've read those are the less noisy. Since it is my first time I'm kinda starting on a budget, say ~$100.00 USD. 

Any suggestions, recommendations? online shops with international shipping? if needed I can wait and save a little more, no rush, part of the fun ;)

Greetings!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: Hola from Mexico!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:35:59 »
Welcome Compadre! Take a look at Ducky on MechanicalKeyboards dot commer. Not sure if they ship to Meh-he-co. :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:38:53 »
Hey! Don't see too many from Mexico. Welcome!

Does MK.com ship to México?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 17:41:07 »
Hey! Don't see too many from Mexico. Welcome!

Does MK.com ship to México?

Just checked their website, looks like they do. :)

If you can't get them to ship there maybe we can get someone to do a reverse-smuggle - from the U.S. to Mexico :D

Offline Mardrik

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:39:32 »
Hey! thanks guys, really appreciate the comments and welcome.

So, any idea of where to go from here to learn the parts needed or the classic "how to" tutorial for building your first mk ?

Offline raxander

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 11:44:26 »
The TKL and brown switches is really common on manufactured boards.  I recommend buying a used one like a Filco or CM QFR with brown switches to see if you like it.  If you don't you could probably sell it for very close to what you paid, and then you'll really know what you want on your custom.  I find the brown switches are too soft for me, although I used them for years and just didn't know what else was out there.  Also I thought I liked the TKL, but it turns out I like 60% better and they're a little cheaper to build and parts are more readily available.  Also check out the 75% layout (like Race3, KBD75, Noopoo Choc Mini).

But if you're building a custom straightaway, you need:  PCB, case, stabilizers, switches, keycaps, & USB cable for a working keyboard.  Optional: plate, LEDs.  You'll need solder and a soldering iron to install the switches. Two other specialized tools that come in handy: a switch puller, and keycap puller.  Maybe a desoldering pump and solder wick just in case.  Once you have your parts, watch some videos on assembling custom keyboards.  I found this guide helpful: http://matt3o.com/how-to-build-your-whitefox/.  He's talking about a particular PCB, but most of the content is applicable to others builds.

It might be hard to build a TKL custom for under $100.  But google around, maybe you'll find some reasonably-priced parts.  1upkeyboards has TKL kits.  They're way more than $100 without switches, though, for a metal sandwich-style build.

Good luck!